• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Now put in a standard sd or micro sd port and we are talking.

Geez Sony, proprietary shit only works when you are at the top of the food chain.

Soriku

HDMI out would be excellent. Why isn't this a standard? For both Vita and 3DS (the 3DS does have a TV out cable but only for the press). Phones have TV out support...

HDMI out would be excellent. Why isn't this a standard? For both Vita and 3DS (the 3DS does have a TV out cable but only for the press). Phones have TV out support...

They don't have it because they are handhelds, not consoles. It isn't a feature that people actually want.

Mr Swine

Banned
Come on Sony, drop the wifi model to $169 and ill buy one directly with a memory card. $249 is still too expensive if you have to buy a memory card just to boot up a game

Midou

I've never fully understood how speed stuff works for SD cards and gaming. I know 3DS can take lower classes and work, but say you put like a class 2 SD card in a vita, would it be good enough to run a game? I always thought it might be confusing to consumer to tell them to buy a specific class of SD card...

Though it's obvious they were trying to recoup costs, if speed was the problem, they could have just allowed pro duos.. those are at least a bit more standard even if it's to sony products.

Mmm, let's see then and maybe I'll be getting a Vita in 2013. I'm sitting about 3 games I want right now which just doesn't meet the needed value to pay what they're asking right now. However, should Tearaway and KZ hit high marks, that would be 5, and my only real issue remaining would be memory pricing. If they drop the memory price, 5 games and a good e3 showing would probably do it for me. A legit price cut as well and I'd be a shoe in. All about games though. I won't buy without the games there and ready, preferably with more on the horizon. Will Tearaway/ KZ MErcenary be out by summer time?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still no price drop? This isn't going to help at all.

Mael

The 3DS still isn't doing that well outside of Japan, so that's not a great example. A better one would be the DS, which was regularly being outsold by the PSP outside of Japan right up until the Lite came out and that's where it took off.

The Vita certainly needs more game announcements but the idea that that's all they need is ridiculous. The Vita already has a good game library, the problem is that there's so much scepticism over its future, over its price and over a variety of other things, that people just write it off.

Sony need to start from scratch and build some momentum and a "re-launch" is the best opportunity to do so. New SKU, price drop, memory card price drop and new game announcements. All four, I think, would be integral parts of it. Get rid of one and it's a flop. So if the OP is right and Sony thinks that they can just release a new SKU and keep the same price, they're absolute idiots and aren't really interested in making it a success.

When the DSlite came out there was :
Mario Kart DS (the game is at >20mil now)
NSMB (>15mil now and probably >20mil)
Metroid prime hunters
FFIII DS remake that helped too.
Seriously they could have kept the design if they wanted the game were there already.
I totally expect Sony to be able to pull that off...

8byte

Banned
They don't have it because they are handhelds, not consoles. It isn't a feature that people actually want.

Yea, I mean, it's not like this devices has a fantastic NetFlix app that would make it a prime travel companion or anything like that. Why would anyone want to hook up a nifty device like this to a larger display? That sounds stupid, no one wants that.

thuway

I really doubt this is true. Sony are losing money enmasse, they're share prices are awful, and even in Japan, the general consensus among the public is that Sony have lost their way and are now junk. The Vita already isn't selling, and its not because of the hardware, its a lack of software. Even when the Vita does sell, it sells at a loss, the Ps4 will likely also sell at a loss. They can't afford both as it is, nevermind another Vita also selling at a loss. If they're going to upgrade the Vita, they should replace the current one.

Are you an expert on Japanese culture?

In regards to this new rumor, I think it'll be great if they finally make the Vita more affordable/attractive so more people get on board. I don't use 3G much so 4G isn't a big deal for me, although I am very interested to see if the second gen Vita has HDMI out and if it keeps the proprietary memory - at the very least they'll have to cut the absurd prices of those cards.

Certinty

As a Vita owner I would be pretty pissed off if this were true as I've wanted HDMI out on the Vita so badly since it was announced.

Yea, I mean, it's not like this devices has a fantastic NetFlix app that would make it a prime travel companion or anything like that. Why would anyone want to hook up a nifty device like this to a larger display? That sounds stupid, no one wants that.

Because Netflix is only available on these devices.

And that's personally why I bought MY Vita. For Netflix.

neptunes

I can't believe people are really clamouring for HDMI. Sub-HD resolutions and game HUDs that won't scale well to large TVs.

SmokyDave

Yeah, it's a cracking feature.

I'm disappointed they took a step back from the PSP Go. Docking that thing to a TV and carrying on my game with a Dual Shock felt like the future.

199 for WiFi and 8GB memory would be pretty appealing, especially if you have PS+.

They sold very well during black friday. That deal was $180 with 3 months of PS+, 2 free games and a free 4gig memory card.

I think if this was the normal set, the Vita would set the world on fire.

Hanmik

for real..? I don´t hav netflix on my Vita (because I live in a Non-sony sanctioned country I guess).. but is Netflix on Vita really good or something like that..?

Sony is insane.

Unless this is some genius plan to save Vita. I hope the new model carries the name W00T.
I kind of agree. This doesn't seem like the best decision in that they are going to be putting out new hardware with what seems like a lack of game titles to go along with it.

If they do relaunch this hardware, they will need to support it on the software side as well. They need to get like 99% of PS1 games and I even feel like all the PS2 games that they have up on the PSN store working day 1. They are also going to have to get people interested in the PSV library, both retail bigger games, but also have a bunch of cool indie games on the PSN store that I am sure would sell. With a touch screen and a backtouch panel, I am sure you could make and port a lot of the current phone games, but I think they also have to make their own new games that will bolster more reason to buy a vita. Also, they should have had a way to put a code or something in from your PSP games that you physically own and let people have a digital copy of that game, this should have been a day 1 priority when the first gen vita launched. I get that they don't have a great way of verifying ownership, but I think this good will gesture would make up for people not getting in right away... if there are no new games, at least let people play their old ones.

I want one, but I cannot see spending that much money for a system with very little BC, not an amazing battery and no new games.

Mael

They sold very well during black friday. That deal was $180 with 3 months of PS+, 2 free games and a free 4gig memory card.

GAME was selling all its stock and WiiU were retailing at 200€ or so, it was sold out in minutes, clearly WiiU would put the world on fire when they retail at 200€!!

I don't think giving away the hardware will help much in any case.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

November sales were still horrible.

DBT85

Yep I wager a new 22nm PS3, The 4G vita, and talk about PSP being successful. No Orbis announcement till E3

Yep, they've called the world press and investors together for nothing of major importance.

Even though every previous PlayStation Meeting was about new consoles.

GAME was selling all its stock and WiiU were retailing at 200€ or so, it was sold out in minutes, clearly WiiU would put the world on fire when they retail at 200€!!

I don't think giving away the hardware will help much in any case.

Razors/Razorblades

BadWolf

Yep I wager a new 22nm PS3, The 4G vita, and talk about PSP being successful. No Orbis announcement till E3

Not going to happen, various "leaks" and "rumors" started popping up about the PS4 after the announcement about the 20th. Even from Japanese press.

Then there was also that bit about Pachter saying that Sony invited investors and that usually only happens with the announcement of something new and significant.

Bittercup

As a Vita owner I would be pretty pissed off if this were true as I've wanted HDMI out on the Vita so badly since it was announced.
I hope HDMI out won't be exclusive to new models and they'll release an addon for older models as well. There's still the unused slot at the top.

8byte

Banned

The point is to achieve parity with competing devices, derp. If Sony wants to succeed, they're going to have to maintain feature parity and show that their devices are capable of both unique features, and features readily available on other devices.

If this "new model" allows players to boot up, say, Killzone Mercenary, dock it to the TV and pick up a DS3, then that's a boon for portable gaming. This system would be significantly more effective and sell worthy, comparatively to "gaming anywhere" via cloud saves.

Holy madness.

First off the 20th is the ps4. Don't fret. I and many other people in this forum have talked to folks who are a part of it.

Secondly... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is the first time i've ever ever ever heard a peep about a 4g vita. Will investigate. But this site certainly isn't a trusted source that i know of. Actually i know about as much about this site as I do the 4g vita.

There are rumors of a hardware revision being considered inside sony. It's to make it cheaper... not more expensive.

Calm down folks.

Top Bottom