• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

I flat out don't believe this. It's a myth. The best selling handheld games are console style games. Look at DQ7 for the latest example.

Pokemon, Tetris, Angry Birds, Mario Kart, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Fruit Ninja, New Super Mario Bros

Some of the best selling series on handhelds. Of those, only Mario Kart could be argued is a "console experience" although that's debatable. At the time, NSMB was also a handheld exclusive experience, as there were no other Mario sidescrollers out at the time.

DQ7 is selling well, no doubt about it. So is AC on the Vita. This does not go against my point, and the trends show that the best selling handheld games are generally pick up and play, casual experiences you can't easily get on a console.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ultimately it is a console game though. Same as MK7, MH, NSMB. Same as the best selling Vita titles (AC, CoD). If people don't want console experiences on handhelds, they have a funny way of showing it.

This whole discussion is empty because this:

console experiences

Doesn't mean absolutely anything. People keep trying to convince me there's some kind of separation between console and handheld games, but they're just lying to themselves. There isn't.

3 hopes:

1. That there will be a HDMI version of the regular Wifi one as well (not paying extra for something that I'm not using)
2. HDMI out better mean FULL screen display for Vita/PSP games. NO FUCKING BORDERS like on PSP2000/3000/Go. (even if it's not pixel perfect)
3. Multiple colors, please.

SmokyDave

Pokemon, Tetris, Angry Birds, Mario Kart, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Fruit Ninja, New Super Mario Bros

Some of the best selling series on handhelds. Of those, only Mario Kart could be argued is a "console experience" although that's debatable. At the time, NSMB was also a handheld exclusive experience, as there were no other Mario sidescrollers out at the time.

DQ7 is selling well, no doubt about it. So is AC on the Vita. This does not go against my point, and the trends show that the best selling handheld games are generally pick up and play, casual experiences you can't easily get on a console.
The thing is, what you term 'handheld' (Tetris, Angry Birds, Brain Age) are now 'mobile'. Handheld games are increasing in scope and complexity to the point where you're splitting hairs to call them very different from console games. This is probably a debate for another time & topic though as everyone has a different definition of 'console game', 'handheld game' and 'mobile game'.

This whole discussion is empty because this:

Doesn't mean absolutely anything. People keep trying to convince me there's some kind of separation between console and handheld games, but they're just lying to themselves. There isn't.

No way, Mario Kart's always been a handheld series...

Doesn't mean absolutely anything.

You don't believe there's a difference between the way Mario Galaxy was built, compared to Mario Land 3D? Because to me the changes made to fit it for a handheld are pretty obvious.

It's not series based, which seems to be the fallacy of the argument. "Oh, Monster Hunter started on a console!" That's the meaningless discussion. It's ignoring the changes made to handheld versions to accommodate things like local multiplayer, quick saving, and short burst playing. These things define successful handheld games, things you rarely find in big time, console heavy game series.

Look at the "console experience" Vita CoD and tell me with a straight face that game would fly on the 360/PS3. That it had no changes to the core CoD formula to fit with the different play experience of a handheld.

The thing is, what you term 'handheld' (Tetris, Angry Birds, Brain Age) are now 'mobile'. Handheld games are increasing in scope and complexity to the point where you're splitting hairs to call them very different from console games. This is probably a debate for another time & topic though as everyone has a different definition of 'console game', 'handheld game' and 'mobile game'.

I don't have a definition for mobile game. Handheld gaming and mobile gaming are one and the same.

entremet

Why would any want to play on a TV? The OLED screen is so sexy. Plus the pixel density will take a hit on bigger displays.

As a huge fan of the Vita, I hope Sony brings the ruckus and annonces a hardware and memory card price drop. They need to get the Vita in more hands.

0.jpg

Also if the revision does have HDMI out and a better battery I will be picking up a second unit.

Get in that ass. STEP INSIDE THAT ASS AND KICK SHIT AROUND.

imjust1n

Banned
Wow. A big slap in my face. Spent 350 on first edition to only get slapped in the face a year later with an upgrade model 4G service. W.e ill just trade mine in for for the 4G

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To those saying you want HDMI out to capture footage, wouldn't HDCP prevent that? Surely the Vita would be implementing it? Or do the capture cards you use circumvent it (sounds a bit shady)?

-PXG-

You're a fool of you thought Sony would never release a 4g sku. Hell, they should have gone straight to 4g/ lte and skipped 3g altogether.

Holy madness.

First off the 20th is the ps4. Don't fret. I and many other people in this forum have talked to folks who are a part of it.

Secondly... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is the first time i've ever ever ever heard a peep about a 4g vita. Will investigate. But this site certainly isn't a trusted source that i know of. Actually i know about as much about this site as I do the 4g vita.

There are rumors of a hardware revision being considered inside sony. It's to make it cheaper... not more expensive.

Calm down folks.

They definitely need to make something cheaper, but a 4G version is also enticing, especially if it allows for multiplayer gaming anywhere.

desu

To those saying you want HDMI out to capture footage, wouldn't HDCP prevent that? Surely the Vita would be implementing it? Or do the capture cards you use circumvent it (sounds a bit shady)?

It would have HDCP but most people that capture from current consoles via HDMI know how to get around it anyway.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Impossible even Sony doesn't what a vita is.

9/10 would lol again.

I kinda hope not, I love my white Vita (even though its broken and needs to be repaired, thanks, Obama).

HOWEVAH, if they drastically dropped the price of Memory for early adopters, that would be awesome. I still only have a 4GB card.

BadWolf

You're a fool of you thought Sony would never release a 4g sku. Hell, they should have gone straight to 4g/ lte and skipped 3g altogether.

Thought they would have dumped it altogether by now considering how little ppl seem to care for the feature and use it.

olimpia84

Why make a 4G version when the previous data model (the 3G) didn't perform well at retail? (didn't a bunch of retailers return all the unsold 3G models?)
Price cuts in memory cards are very welcome and it's a smart decision considering that seems to be the 'holding' point for a lot of people interested in a Vita. HDMI out is cool but nothing that will make me go out and spend money to upgrade.

VanWinkle

Man, I wish people would read the thread. It's been mentioned dozens of times that the HDMI out is on the dev kit, not a new model, but people keep mentioning it as fact regardless. The OP needs to specify that it's a dev kit in the patent.

Hanmik

Pack it up boys. Commence Kaz Harai gifs.

that only covers one part of the "news.".. the 4g Feb. 20th. rumours are from another site (like Shinobi has tried to tell people in this thread for the longest time) and has nothing to do with the patent ..

kunonabi

If the PS Vita wasn't so gigantic I would buy it so this isn't the redesign I would've wanted.

If it were smaller and redid the buttons I would consider a Vita if it developed a library with titles I was interested in. I don't really care about the price it's just the build and games that are really turning me off.

Soriku

Ultimately it is a console game though. Same as MK7, MH, NSMB. Same as the best selling Vita titles (AC, CoD). If people don't want console experiences on handhelds, they have a funny way of showing it.

I agree...to an extent. MK, MH, DQ, and NSMB are popular on both handhelds and consoles. MH to a much lesser extent in consoles though. The series grew due to local multiplayer which is more suited to handhelds...which is key. The type of console-type games on the Vita are ones most people would rather play on consoles. They're not as suited to handhelds as the ones you listed.

XOMTOR

People want bigger screens on their portable devices, not smaller.

"People" can want all they like, but those two things contradict themselves. The Vita is already beyond the limit of what most would consider portable; it really can't be taken outside of the house without some kind of bag. Personally, when I leave the house, I have on jeans and a jacket if it's colder. If it can't easily fit in those pockets, it stays home. It's why I love the PSPGo, it's no bigger than my iPhone and will easily fit in the back pocket of a pair of Levi's. Thing is truly the definition of portable.

What about 3DS XL? That seems to be doing rather well.

I'd say the target demographic for 3DS as a whole, especially in NA is a bit different than that of the Vita. I'd say generally, 3DS owners skew much younger on the scale. In Japan, they're a commuter heavy society so I could see most 3DS owners carrying some sort of bag as the norm.

BadWolf

"People" can want all they like, but those two things contradict themselves. The Vita is already beyond the limit of what most would consider portable; it really can't be taken outside of the house without some kind of bag. Personally, when I leave the house, I have on jeans and a jacket if it's colder. If it can't easily fit in those pockets, it stays home. It's why I love the PSPGo, it's no bigger than my iPhone and will easily fit in the back pocket of a pair of Levi's. Thing is truly the definition of portable.

What about 3DS XL? That seems to be doing rather well.

vg260

At first I was upset about a possible new model w HDMI out, but the screen is so good, I probably don't care.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't want Vita to ruin PS4's conference

NO NO NO

This will probably be a "one more thing" kinda announcement. Bank on it.

If the price of a 32 gig memory card drops to $75, then it's time to get a bigger fridge and play some of those PSPlus goodies.

I'd say the target demographic for 3DS as a whole, especially in NA is a bit different than that of the Vita. I'd say generally, 3DS owners skew much younger on the scale. In Japan, they're a commuter heavy society so I could see most 3DS owners carrying some sort of bag as the norm.

Are there ever actual numbers backing this up or is it just assumed because Nintendo?

Mael

You have a point with NSMB but the others? No. Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters came out well before the DS Lite and didn't turn anything around. FFIII? Come on. It did well but it was nowhere near a huge seller (neither was Metroid for that matter).

I'm not saying the DS wouldn't have been revived without the Lite but I certainly think that the Lite kickstarted it and was a key contribution in how successful it ended up being. The sales numbers tend to back that up.

Mario Kart was released in November 2005,
NSMB, MP:h and FFIII all came out in Spring 2006 just before the DSlite came out.
If you don't see how the lineup had a tremendous effect on DS's fate I can point to December 2009 when NSMBW pushed Wii enough to give it the best december any system ever had in the US despite the market being really apathetic to it for most of 2009.
Softwares sell hardware, that's always been true before and that's still true today.

Sony did a somewhat similar job when they brought out the PSP-2000, in that PSP sales did significantly rise for a number of months, but the problem was that it was too little, too late. Development had already dried up at that point and while development did pick up once hardware sales rose, by the time those games were actually finished, the momentum was already gone again.

It was shortlived because software didn't follow it, heck Monster Hunter alone put PSP back to life in Japan.
The model of what MH offers is also pretty much what people pushing for Soul whatsisname to do well.
Again Software sells hardware.

Those two re-launches, plus the way Sony revived the PS3, are what Sony needs to look at if they've any interest in reviving the Vita.

PS3 was never really dead in the EU, it had little competition from MSFT's offering so when it reached an affordable price (along with the marketing campaign going with the slim) made it a desirable product because the software proposition was already there (look at Gran Turismo for example).

My point is that hardware revision comes with a marketing push that spurs sales, but to sustain it there needs to have software that people want to pay for.
A good example would be that this bundle with AC Liberation was a better move than simply slashing the price.

QP3

No, no. I'm not saying it has to be one or the other, I'm saying it shouldn't be THIS at all!

The Vita portion on the 20th should be a seismic explosion of games and features. I think Sony will make a big mistake announcing this thing on the 20th. They should wait until E3 at least.

Ohhh I understand what you are saying now, and have to agree. If this was the only vita news it would be disappoint.

edit: also, any ideas as to what we should expect in terms of card pricing?

Shai-Tan

Banned
4g wouldn't be useless if it were multiplayer enabled (only they know whether that would work well) however I think a model update needs to make improvements across the board in the process using 28nm or less, and new wireless radio to accomplish a few things: First, to improve battery life; second, to make the device more lax in how it is accessing the network to make it a true network connected device rather than a pale imitation of one. The current Vita aggressively disconnects over and over to the point where I need to wait 20+ seconds in some games to access online functionality and with the wireless radio nearly always off it relies on pull instead of push which is lackluster - it's like the stone age compared to tablets and and smartphones. They need a revision that is efficient enough that it can stay online while the device is being used if desired.

Top Bottom