• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

Hanmik

Holy madness.

First off the 20th is the ps4. Don't fret. I and many other people in this forum have talked to folks who are a part of it.

Secondly... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is the first time i've ever ever ever heard a peep about a 4g vita. Will investigate. But this site certainly isn't a trusted source that i know of. Actually i know about as much about this site as I do the 4g vita.

There are rumors of a hardware revision being considered inside sony. It's to make it cheaper... not more expensive.

Calm down folks.

why do you have to be so reasonable..? lol.. "Phone home"..

BadWolf

Gemüsepizza;47617251 said:
It's the PS4 announcement. But it's a very good idea to announce a new Vita version at the same event when the whole world is watching.

This.

It would be pretty dumb to talk about the future and exclude your new handheld.

XOMTOR

I have a sneaking feeling that this rumor is just that and was born after someone found what looked like a filing for a new patent.

The memory card price reduction I could (hope to) see but a new model? I'll take that with a huge grain of salt.

Hanmik

I have a sneaking feeling that this rumor is just that and was born after someone found what looked like a filing for a new patent.

The memory card price reduction I could (hope to) see but a new model? I'll take that with a huge grain of salt.

the only thing here that is a bit off.. the original rumour on that xgamersite was posted on the 4th. the patent was on the 7th. of february.

That still doesnt address the problems I have with my poor Vita...

It shows Sony didn't completely forget though. Its like they treat it like that one item on your shopping list that you have to get at a specialty store across town. You'll get it when you get around to it, but often when you're in the vicinity you'll forget about it.

gcubed

its a shame this doesn't get the software it deserves, its a fantastic portable with very little to play on it. Can't blame anyone for staying away at the moment... hopefully they can revive it like the PSP.

It starts with a price drop, not a value add

Maedhros

Holy madness.

First off the 20th is the ps4. Don't fret. I and many other people in this forum have talked to folks who are a part of it.

Secondly... I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is the first time i've ever ever ever heard a peep about a 4g vita. Will investigate. But this site certainly isn't a trusted source that i know of. Actually i know about as much about this site as I do the 4g vita.

There are rumors of a hardware revision being considered inside sony. It's to make it cheaper... not more expensive.

Calm down folks.
I was expecting this. I think they'll drop the price this year, at E3. And reveal a HDMI acessory for the unused port.

Zen

Banned
I will, at some point, rebuy the Vita if a version comes out with HDMI.

ugh

First of either 3DS or Vita to get a price drop I will buy. This does not constitute a price drop.

The Wi-Fi version will drop in price from $299 to $249, how is that not a price drop?

XOMTOR

the only thing here that is a bit off.. the original rumour on that xgamersite was posted on the 4th. the patent was on the 7th. of february.

Perhaps but the addition of HDMI out and 4G? Not much of a revision unless there's more that's not being told. Usually, you'd see a size reduction (Vita desperately needs it) or some changes to the cosmetics, buttons etc. As is, this doesn't seem like much of a revision.

BadWolf

Perhaps but the addition of HDMI out and 4G? Not much of a revision unless there's more that's not being told. Usually, you'd see a size reduction (Vita desperately needs it) or some changes to the cosmetics, buttons etc. As is, this doesn't seem like much of a revision.

Size reduction? Wouldn't the only way to make the Vita smaller be to make the screen smaller? Doubt many would want that.

Would consider buying a cheaper Vita with HDMI. since that what I always thought was missing on this thing.

Want to play on a big screen from time to time.

The point is to achieve parity with competing devices, derp. If Sony wants to succeed, they're going to have to maintain feature parity and show that their devices are capable of both unique features, and features readily available on other devices.

If this "new model" allows players to boot up, say, Killzone Mercenary, dock it to the TV and pick up a DS3, then that's a boon for portable gaming. This system would be significantly more effective and sell worthy, comparatively to "gaming anywhere" via cloud saves.

I don't see how it's sell worthy. Seems to be falling into the same traps that has doomed Sony's portables, that portable games and console games are different experiences and that being able to go back and forth might sound like a good feature, but in practice it doesn't move systems.

To me it seems like selling the Game Boy by saying you can play is on your TV using a Super Game Boy attachment. Yea, that's neat, but I doubt anyone bought an GB/SNES for the sole purpose of playing GB games.

When Sony realizes that trying to bring the console experience to a handheld isn't really what the market wants, then maybe they'll see some handheld success.
A price drop and new games is its best chance, not remote play.
But don't you know!? People will line up for miles to play inferior graphic versions of games already on a console on their TV!

Thats a developer unit patent i think.
On February 7, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Sony that is technically about the PlayStation Vita and their new and upcoming connectors. Sony's patent application was originally filed in the US in Q3 2012 but months earlier in Japan. The photo above was taken from Sony website on February 7, 2013. It's juxtaposed to Sony's patent figures 1 and 2 which expose the new ports. In comparison, we see the new ports clearly.

Besides what I said earlier (cheaper MCs, 64/128GBs, big FW update for current vitas, 4G to be used for real time multiplayer, and especially an XL/Tablet version), all new models need to have on board storage, 8GBs for wi fi only, 16GBs for 4G/LTE model.

How in the hell are folders always missing from these devices at launch and then they have to go back in and add it later. Why not design them in from the get-go. It either has to be intentional or these companies are incompetent.

Vita was missing a lot of features when it launched, you couldn't even browse while playing a game.

daoster

Eh....Nobody's asking for 4G, Sony...a Memory card price cut is much needed (and it better be a massive price cut to keep it in line with other flash cards), but a price cut on the actual system is needed too.

But if they think simply a memory price card is gonna cut it...well...I have no words.

When the DSlite came out there was :
Mario Kart DS (the game is at >20mil now)
NSMB (>15mil now and probably >20mil)
Metroid prime hunters
FFIII DS remake that helped too.
Seriously they could have kept the design if they wanted the game were there already.
I totally expect Sony to be able to pull that off...

You have a point with NSMB but the others? No. Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters came out well before the DS Lite and didn't turn anything around. FFIII? Come on. It did well but it was nowhere near a huge seller (neither was Metroid for that matter).

I'm not saying the DS wouldn't have been revived without the Lite but I certainly think that the Lite kickstarted it and was a key contribution in how successful it ended up being. The sales numbers tend to back that up.

Sony did a somewhat similar job when they brought out the PSP-2000, in that PSP sales did significantly rise for a number of months, but the problem was that it was too little, too late. Development had already dried up at that point and while development did pick up once hardware sales rose, by the time those games were actually finished, the momentum was already gone again.

Those two re-launches, plus the way Sony revived the PS3, are what Sony needs to look at if they've any interest in reviving the Vita.

SmokyDave

When Sony realizes that trying to bring the console experience to a handheld isn't really what the market wants, then maybe they'll see some handheld success.
I flat out don't believe this. It's a myth. The best selling handheld games are console style games. Look at DQ7 for the latest example.

XOMTOR

Size reduction? Wouldn't the only way to make the Vita smaller be to make the screen smaller? Doubt many would want that.

Sure, a 4" screen on a portable device would be fine. As a result, the PPI would increase making the screen even sharper. The 4.3" screen of the standard PSP was big enough and the PSPGo was even fine at 3.8". The latter has a higher pixel density and the screen is much clearer.

Tripolygon

Banned

Developer unit has the same port arrangement as that patent. There is a USB port, Sony Proprietary port and Full HDMI (not mini or micro) and a separate power port to the side.

pWOY3.jpg

Curufinwe

Sure, a 4" screen on a portable device would be fine. As a result, the PPI would increase making the screen even sharper. The 4.3" screen of the standard PSP was big enough and the PSPGo was even fine at 3.8". The latter has a higher pixel density and the screen is much clearer.

People want bigger screens on their portable devices, not smaller.

HDMI port seems really good. If the price of the mem card does drop and then i would consider getting this.
Glad I waited, early adapting is a sin in this industry.

I's rage so hard if HDMI out is for new Vita's only. I'd feel cheated. Sony don't screw over early adapters. :/ Just use the Vita's current accessory port.

SmokyDave

I have to say DQ7 is meant for a handheld type of game. I rather most RPGs to be on handheld.

Ultimately it is a console game though. Same as MK7, MH, NSMB. Same as the best selling Vita titles (AC, CoD). If people don't want console experiences on handhelds, they have a funny way of showing it.

Top Bottom