• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

Where is the "multiple account support" feature?

Or at least a way to play other-region content on our main account.
The amount of different games that SCEA, SCEE and SCEJ get is insane.

On the bright side...HDMI port and playable on a TV would be incredible. Vita would fully and truly become my "main" platform at that point. At least until the next gen consoles.
It'd be strange using the Vita touch screen for touch-mandatory games and having to constantly alternate looking between the TV an Vita, but it'd be manageable.
And hope the folder feature is true.

32GB memory card should not exceed $50.

I can dream can't I?

They should just drop the 4GB and introduce two new high capacity cards.

8GB: $19.99
16GB: $29.99
32GB: $39.99
64GB: $69.99
128GB: $129.99

Something like that, I'd totes buy a 128GB card and not have to worry about space for a long time.

If Sony wants to keep proprietary cards around to make the needed profit then fine, but they need to be giving us more options. For the enthusiast that has a decent PSP library and buys a lot of digital Vita games, 32GB gets you nowhere.

sd28821

128GB: $119.99

Something like that, I'd totes buy a 128GB card and not have to worry about space for a long time.

this on top of built in memory would be ideal

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
DAY ONE! I already have a wifi model this would be perfect HDMI out or not. The rest of nextgen has been a total bust...3D, Region locking, Weird cameras....
Only the Vita has giving me what I wanted out of a system this gen....looking like its going to be Vita/PC for me for a very long time. Unless Sony/Ms shock me soon.

SpecX

I've held off on the Vita after being burned with the Go, but if they enable 4G with Verizon and make this thing worth it with some games, then count me in.

While the 4G is nice, and will probably pull in a few repeat purchasers who want to upgrade, this will do next to nothing to get the Vita into more hands. The platform doesn't need a hardware revision, it needs more adoption, and this ain't gonna do it. Vita needs a real price drop.

128GB: $129.99

If Sony wants to keep proprietary cards around to make the needed profit then fine, but they need to be giving us more options. For the enthusiast that has a decent PSP library and buys a lot of digital Vita games, 32GB gets you nowhere.

And they would still make some good money on those prices, probably ~30% margin if I had to guess.

this on top of built in memory would be ideal

Yep.

Copenap

They could barely get rid of all the 3G systems. No way in hell would they release a 4G system.

Yeah, didn't they even already discontinue the 3g version? And certainly not because it was such a hit and is now followed by a 4g version... Pretty sure this is bs and if not, then it's a terrible move imo.

Xiaoki

The biggest problem with the Vita is the high price so why are people thinking of ways to make it more expensive?

4G, HDMI out, built in memory.

Yeah, that would be some kind of dream system but would be DOA and lose Sony billions.

An aggressive price cut would still lose Sony billions but it might actually get people to buy a Vita.

kevinski

Banned
I wonder if they're upgrading this to better interface with Orbis. By the way, was it just Durango that currently has an HDMI input, or is it Orbis, as well? The reason I ask is because it'd be kinda cool if Vita could feed video directly into Orbis games.

The fact that they released a firmware update to prevent multiple accounts, I highly doubt they'll revert it back.

Sony wants Vita to die a painful death.

True. But also remember it was actually never an ability to have true multiple accounts, or a way to play all content nder one account. That firmware update only made the process more difficult. I have gone into detail on the subject of speculating if it's ever going to get multiple account support or some kind of ability to have multi-region content on one system. The firmware update that made it mandatory to have different memory cards instead of switching via Settings was apparent they want to keep it to one account, one user per system.

Then there's other little details, like SCEJ (or other branches) possibly not wanting to "lose business" to other region PS Stores. May have been an internal complaint after what has been possible on PS3 all these years. Then there's possible Japanese xenophobia at play, the ones who create and make the decisions for these firmwares, after all.

This also seems in-line with the February 20 event. Vita stuff will most likely be demonstrated there (new model and firmware features) along with Orbis reveal.

Well, crossing fingers something is done soon. It's not just Japan with all the exclusives anymore. EU also has a big edge over US, many games just never going to come to US for example. And we need some kind of way to play these games without jumping through multiple hoops.

btkadams

the user account thing is bs pretty lame. even my apple tv (most closed device of all time?) lets me switch itunes user accounts easily (doesn't even require password entry).

goldenpp72

A nice but I feel futile effort unless they launch more software and market it a lot. Just seems like a natural evolution like the 2000/3000 before it.

Jawmuncher

4G seems pointless considering the 3G wasn't even selling as much as the wifi and not because it was 3Gspeed over 4g.

Hdmi out sounds awesome though especially if games support scaling.

Ty4on

the user account thing is bs pretty lame. even my apple tv (most closed device of all time?) lets me switch itunes user accounts easily (doesn't even require password entry).

Remember seeing an article about the a generation Apple TV (hardware updates, the current model at the time looked identical and I think they were both small like the current ones) which sold for twice the price as the newer ones online because you could jailbreak them.

Reallink

WTF what happened to the "mystery port" being used for HDMI out? Im gonna toss this trash out and never buy Sony hardware.

Yea, I'm gonna be pissed if they indeed release an HDMI out model when they knew full well this was the most demanded feature of the OG model. There are so many fucking ports on the thing, how did they not make one some kind of proprietary video out?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
4G seems pointless considering the 3G wasn't even selling as much as the wifi and not because it was 3Gspeed over 4g.

the main problem I think was in the price for the 3G units.

Hdmi out sounds awesome though especially if games support scaling

look at some of KZM video where the dev and testers playing the game on TV, the game upscale nicely on big HDTVs.

Yea, I'm gonna be pissed if they indeed release an HDMI out model when they knew full well this was the most demanded feature of the OG model. There are so many fucking ports on the thing, how did they not make one some kind of proprietary video out?

I think they didn't want to put HDMI in the first batch because Sony wanted it to be seen as handheld, not take away momentum from PS3..more clearly, to "stand out" and have a "purpose" so to peak.. Also the possibility they could sell more premium 3G models/plans this way. We see the PSP started without TV out options but got them in later iterations as well. Create a sense of value in the platform and user base earlier on, then dish out the luxury features later on. Though in this case, something like HDMI out could generate a lot of interest in the system if made known.

Zhengi

Nice on the memory card price cut. Quick question. I have some games and save files on my 4 GB card. Is there a way to transfer them to a bigger card once I buy one?

Nice on the memory card price cut. Quick question. I have some games and save files on my 4 GB card. Is there a way to transfer them to a bigger card once I buy one?

You'd have to transfer them to your PC or PS3 using Content Manager, then move em back to your new card.

Top Bottom