• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New PS4 details from PSM3 Magazine.

Assuming that these are true, I'm a bit surprised hasn't looked into adding a smart glass-type or Wii U game pad controller with the Vita.

Shtof

This isn't the same as PS2-PS3. The loss of BC just devalues the PS2 library. The loss of BC devalues both the PS3 library and the PSN account.

Long term it becomes meaningless just like now, but seems like early adopters might as well just wait until they are done with the PS3 library now or just get a 720.

The PSN account is nothing more than a PS3/PSP/Vita library.

Lulubop

Overall i expect it to be in therms of PC hardware on mid range with certain elements like CPU being above or equal to best PC CPUs.

Closed platform with above hardware will again give normal console cycle (meaning consoles being above PC for year or two)

Sorry but the gap has never been larger, and it'll continue to grow. Not to mention maxwell launching seemingly soon after. I don't think so. Also magical console optimization usually means turning down setting, res and framerate.

my point for dividing ram is exactly what you said.

Unified pool is pro dev and we can all agree it is better for system. But if they won't come up with resolution to bus speed giving system slow Ram will be huge bottleneck especially if next gen will require high bathwind which is 99% sure they will need.

Without it, it is either devided pool what i described or Nintendo Wii U way (meaning no next gen games).

Of course there is quick resolution to that problem meaning 4-8GB of GDDR5 but we both now that won't happen because cost will be to high.

As of 2.5D 3D stacking i can't say anything about it as much as anyone. Jeff as always provide a lot of usefull info but until we see it being used anywhere in industry we don't know if it will even make on time for new consoles.
Already seeing it mentioned for Handhelds but early on this year an article I read had 3D stacked RAM as not a PC option for a few years because PC users like to be able to choose their own RAM Configurations. So handhelds, tablets and CE platforms but not PCs. This means that it's likely that Game consoles will be some of the first CE equipment to have performance 3D stacked ultra wide IO DRAM rather than Low Power. This is why the Kabini (Tablet) design is more likely to have ultrawide IO DRAM than Kaveri the desktop design.

Both Intel and AMD fusion designs will be going embedded ultrawide DRAM at some point and the designs will reflect this, when is not known but already both have known bandwidth issues with AMDs design suffering more. Clocking AMD APU DRAM faster gives a higher increase in performance than overclocking DRAM connected to Intel Fusion designs.

A.R.K

other than the price which I hope is close to $400, I am good...BC will be provided some way or other (cloud) and really how many gamers love to play their precious PS1 and PS2 grainy games on their PS3. I bet this more of the hardcores on GAF who always complain about BC.

As for price complaints, I rather have a beefed up machine rather than another WiiU...no thanks...I think Sony can do that for around $400-450.

Vol5

I think Sony would be onto a sure fire winner if they offered 2 x PS4 SKU's. 1 with BC, one without. Slap an extra £50 pound on the premium SKU and I think you could have a good attempt at baiting current PS3 owners who have invested in a lot of DD and play a lot of online games. Carry all that across in your premium SKU.

Keep the lower spec (cell-less) PS4 for your casuals and at a cheaper price for entry.

i-Lo

400 to 450 would be sweet if they include all the good stuff.

I'm certain there'll be two versions US400 and another US500. If they want to move units at an ungoldly rate, rent to own or some form of subscription based model will also wonders. Hopefully they'll not be playing catch up with MS if they decide to it. Given the dinosaur that is Sony's corporate culture where everything needs to be authorized in Japan.... who knows.

Ugh, you can keep BC if it means doing it that way.

If I had to guess, and this is one radical speculation, PS4 may be the last conventional console. They may switch to a purely subscription based model on GAIKAI for PS5 which will NOT be a physical console. Rather PS5 will be accessed via PS4 hardware and GAIKAI. Hence you wouldn't have to put forth money to buy any new hardware.

Of course global penetration of broadband and various other factors will be the key variables on which a paradigm shift of such magnitude may depend upon.

Thoraxes

I wouldn't mind the no BC if they drop the price of the PS3 down to $100 when the PS4 releases. It's why I didn't mind it so much when the PS3 Slim came out with my PS2.

Other than that though, Sony can suck it if true.

THE:MILKMAN

BC in PS4 ain't gonna happen because Sony didn't even shrink the Cell/RSX for super slim. If Sony couldn't afford to re-engineer them for super slim, then they ain't going to do it to put them in PS4 imo.

I think these two chips at 45/40nm you are looking at adding ~45 watts to the system.

Gaikai streaming seems to be Sony's aim. Is there any news on that acquisition?

Krabardaf

I hope it's STRONGLY discouraged by Microsoft and Sony to not release 1080p native software. 720p is the past just as much as 480i is.
I hope too but I know some are targeting 720p for Durango, and for now. Of course with top notch AA, and I don't know at which framerate.
As far as I know, not much people knows anything about Orbis yet. Maybe 1st Party have specifications, but I doubt third party are even remotely close to own devkits yet. Could be wrong though. (Hope so tbh)

thelastword

Banned
The amount of people that actually care about BC or would look for it as a feature of a new console has only been shrinking and shrinking. The vast majority don't care. Of all of my gamer friends I am the only one on gaf or that spends anytime actually talking about games. I don't think one of them has mentioned the words BC since the PS2 era. Also it's slightly insane that people would boycott a new system for new games(why do you want a new system anyways if not for new experiences?) When they have the console necessary to play their old games its just....pointless
Good point, funny enough, the same people who would say that they need bc would comeback and complain that the would-be PS4 is too expensive since it will need the ps3 chipset for the backwards compatibility that they are asking for. It was the same with the PS3, the PS2 chipset in the PS3 made it more expensive than it would have been and 99% percent of people who bought ps3's didn't play PS2 games on it beyond the first month or ever.

Good point, funny enough, the same people who would say that they need bc would comeback and complain that the would-be PS4 is too expensive since it will need the ps3 chipset for the backwards compatibility that they are asking for. It was the same with the PS3, the PS2 chipset in the PS3 made it more expensive than it would have been and 99% percent of people who bought ps3's didn't play PS2 games on it beyond the first month or ever.

I'd pay up to $100 more to have BC. Sony, take note.

dr_rus

I hope too but I know some are targeting 720p for Durango, and for now. Of course with top notch AA, and I don't know at which framerate.
As far as I know, not much people knows anything about Orbis yet. Maybe 1st Party have specifications, but I doubt third party are even remotely close to own devkits yet. Could be wrong though. (Hope so tbh)
Of course it'll be 720p with "top notch" FXAA at 30 fps. Every bit about what they're both doing is pointing into the direction of cheap hardware with as little additional R&D as possible.

Perkel

Banned
I don't think any new consnole will have bc.

a) hardware bc cost money.
b) emulator and DD games is viable option.

Top Bottom