• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not familiar with the site (run by an ex-Destructoid), but according to them, one of their two sources on the matter is the same that leaked Until Dawn: Rush of Blood ahead of its announcement.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...rs-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.

LPVG has learned that these controllers are designed to phase out the Wii Remote over time, featuring much of their same functionality. Players with existing Wii Remotes will be able to use them for some multi player titles, but not all releases.

The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

One of the titles which will support both the new NX detachable motion controllers and Wii Remotes for multiplayer is Just Dance 2017.

Zalman

I hope that's true. Certain games like Pikmin and Metroid Prime just play better with motion control. Just make it optional for those who want it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems fairly obvious, if they're detachable stick like controllers on either side of the screen.

Intriguing. So there's your haptic feedback and that's how they'll retain multiplayer but phase out the Wii branding.

I highly doubt now that there's a separate home console as some 'sources' say. An SCD, maybe, but not a beefier machine at the same time.

ggx2ac

So the detachable controllers are just like what I said one time in speculation? (If it's true.)

3 styles of play with one set of detachable controllers:

- Detachable controllers attached to NX = Wii U Gamepad style.

- Detachable controllers separated from NX = Wii Remote style.

- Detachable controllers attached to module = Wii U Pro Controller style.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How can it be comfortable to hold and at the same time be attachable to a screen?

I think 'wiimote' style gameplay will be for home scenarios, not portable play. When you have the thing docked, and the controllers detached.

This is something I predicted as soon as we saw Link right handed in Breath of the Wild. The only other times they've made him right handed was when motion controls were involved.

There are reasons to think that's off base, considering we saw him right handed years ago when (as far as we assume) the NX port wasn't in the cards. But who knows, maybe it was, and maybe motion controls have been in the plans as some sort of option from the start.

OR I'm completely off base, none of that was ever true, and it's just a coincidence that what I predicted was right but for none of the reasons I predicted it lol.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Leaked image of the NX controller
the-homer-inline4.jpg

Zoon

Please, for the love of God, do not force motion controls on your games Nintendo. I skipped many Wii games just because they didn't support the classic controller.

Jackano

So the detachable controllers are just like what I said one time in speculation? (If it's true.)

+1.

Thought it is always the same: Is it legit info, or fake clickbait article based on the previous Eurogamer article?

After all we saw everything can happen after the fake 3D printed controllers.

They're still pushing this shit? Another system with forced motion controls that barely make a handful of games better, a majority ignore, and any that are just shoehorned into, worse.

Rodin

Why wouldn't it? It was a given imho, motion controls are infinitely better in some cases. No point in removing them completely.

I was already imagining the Gamepad and Pro controller styles, so if they managed to work in seperated controllers as well, then that's awesome.
But really, I just want some concrete information at this point.

EDIT:
They're still pushing this shit? Another system with forced motion controls that barely make a handful of games better, a majority ignore, and any that are just shoehorned into, worse.

Yeah, I forgot how it *barely* made FPS's playable, made Metroid Prime Trilogy even better, and made VR as a thing work to begin with.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense motion controls would still be around. Though I hope that a more conventional controller scheme is the default setup.

shira

LPVG has learned that these controllers are designed to phase out the Wii Remote over time, featuring much of their same functionality. Players with existing Wii Remotes will be able to use them for some multi player titles, but not all releases.

Tripling down on wiimotes

Sorry nintendo.

phanphare

Banned
sounds pretty awesome, especially that force feedback. interested to see how Nintendo implements that into their software.

All I ever wanted was a new Nintendo console with a regular controller. I feel so old now.
They never have a regular control, each home Console release by Nintendo have a non standard control (compared to its main rivals at least) for its time, Dpad then more button along with LR triggers, analog controls , cstick, motion control, Wiiu game pad. Etc

Plum

It was obvious it was going to have some form of motion control, every console but the Xbox One has that nowadays. Force feedback, if it's not just a fancy word for rumble, is more interesting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guessed (and a lot of people speculated) that this might be the case. Two mini wiimotes. And I like the idea a lot. Hope it's properly supported.

Now all NX is missing is a VR HMD. Probably coming with the next iteration.

So THIS is why Link is wearing his sword in the right hand

It is an interesting coincidence, isn't it?

ggx2ac

It's so sad when people hear Wii Remote, they think waggle when those motion controls are used in VR now.

There probably won't even be IR pointers, it might just be motion sensors, accelerometers and gyros.

Best part is if it's in both controllers. I actually thought the NX controller would be two Wii Remotes one time (speculation) before the Eurogamer rumours because I made the example of play splatoon where I can shoot with one hand and aim to throw a grenade with the other for multitasking.

Floex

All I ever wanted was a new Nintendo console with a regular controller. I feel so old now.

As long as the new system allows for old control methods then I'm all for it. Just don't do a 'Starfox' and force people to use a shitty control scheme.

I've kind of suspected this ever since the rumors of detachable controllers. I hope it's true. I think not iterating on the motion control aspect on the Wii is one of the things that hurt the WiiU

AHA-Lambda

Ooh, yeah that's Laura K Buzz's site
She's ex destructoid and collaborates with Jim Sterling a lot
Yeah, she correctly predicted the Until Dawn spin off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom