• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJones

It would be pretty dumb not to include some kind of motion sensitivity, it's standard these days and it just enables more options.

Galava

That way they too can already have the controllers for possible future VR Nintendo device, "WiiMotes" for TV mode and motion sensors when playing it on portable mode.

The only thing I don't see is how do they work if you detach them to play on the small portable screen. Doesn't seem comfortable.

The Hermit

I knew they wouldnt waste the billions of wiimote on the world, but I didnt expect then to release a new version of it.

This is great News.

I am still surprised people think that one kind of controller replace the other... there a place for both.

DavidDesu

I am really curious to see what this looks like. Hopefully it's sleek and ergonomic... I just wonder. Plus whatever mechanism they have to pair all these things together, can't really change once they've done it on the first iteration of the device(s). That will be set in stone for as long as this console or concept continues. So it better be good!

Coen

Please Nintendo, no plethora of control options this time around. Pick a controller and just stick with it for the console's lifecycle.

Genio88

Well i gave it for granted actually, nowadays every mobile device has motion sensor, not having those on they're next console would have been pretty weird for Nintendo, especially for them

I hope this is true! I just sold my Wii U to a friend (I'll get an NX) and my wife is really sad she won't be able to play Michael Jackson - The Experience. She's a huge MJ fan and loves the game. Hell, even I like it, and I'm a terrible dancer.

Also: I've been playing Metroid Prime Trilogy for years and I want to keep playing it.

"Supporting it" - I'm OK with..

Requiring it to drive or slash a sword, instead of being able to use an analog stick or button - that's something I'm not OK with.

CronoShot

If it works with Wiimotes I wonder if it will be another Wii ___.

I was hoping they would get away from that line and start fresh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.

It's almost as if they've been reading my posts. I've stated numerous times that this is probably the best route for them.

"Supporting it" - I'm OK with..

Requiring it to drive or slash a sword, instead of being able to use an analog stick or button - that's something I'm not OK with.

They will shoe horn motion controls, because that will be the system selling point.

Given the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild lacks control gimmicks, I reckon it's an optional style of play. They'll have learned their lesson from Star Fox Zero to an extent.

At least I hope so or I'm buying Breath of the Wild on two consoles.

Anarky

Banned
How would this work with a Handheld though? Wouldn't titles requiring motion controls be sort of awkward to play on the go or something?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, similar to Vive controllers? Yes, please!

Wait, similar to Vive controllers? Yes, please!

No, Vive controllers have positional detection, the NX will only have aiming and rotation detection. Unless the NX includes a couple sensors you can place in your room to detect position there's no way they can do it.

random25

They will shoe horn motion controls, because that will be the system selling point.

The Wii U version lacks motion controls. While there is a possibility that there will be a motion controls option for NX, it also has a possibility of traditional controls if NX controller can transform into a pro controller/gamepad configuration.

Zoon

Also, this feels more and more a controlled leak.(along with EG rumors)
Give fans the basic concept of the device and let them explain it to their families and friends when Nintendo fucks up the reveal.
I expect a rumor
leak
every couple of weeks or so until the reveal.

jblank83

Hopefully it has an IR pointer with gyro assisted aiming, or something similar.

I was recently playing some games with a Wii Remote and Dolphin (MP Trilogy, etc), which reminded me how accurate that control method is compared to analog sticks.

RulkezX

To nostalgic Nintendo fan boys. It's not a selling point to anyone else.

When we await a new playstation and xbox generation we only speculate about power and speed.

Thank god nintendo still have the guts to think of new concepts and new ideas.

No matter what the nx becomes im there day one. I had a ps1 and n64
Gamecube and ps2
Wii and ps3
Wii u and ps4

And i will have a ps neo and nx

Good old Nintendo. Inventing motion controls all over again.

When we await a new playstation and xbox generation we only speculate about power and speed.

Thank god nintendo still have the guts to think of new concepts and new ideas.

No matter what the nx becomes im there day one. I had a ps1 and n64
Gamecube and ps2
Wii and ps3
Wii u and ps4

And i will have a ps neo and nx

JimboJones

If it works with Wiimotes I wonder if it will be another Wii ___.

I was hoping they would get away from that line and start fresh.

Well Wii supported GameCube controllers, memory cards and even Wii U had Smash branded GameCube controllers but the overall console brand never really crossed over with the GameCubes branding.

thefro

Motion control capabilities make total sense for the detachable controllers, and I've thought that since I heard EG's rumor.

Skeptical on the "advanced force-feedback" since it seems like people have said that ever since the speculation on what the "secret of the Revolution" was.

They'd have been mad not to include motion controls in some way. It's been a defining feature of the Nintendo control scheme since the Wii. IR pointers are cheap as fuck and never a bad choice - just opens up more potential applications and avenues for developers.

What I don't want to see is a focus on this feature. They've made waves with this control scheme in the past, so let's see something new.

Cardon

Anyone read the stellar "Five Games That Mimic a Urinary Tract Infection" article on the site too?

Anyway, wasn't this expected to a slight degree? Not necessarily groundbreaking news unless folks thought those features would be omitted due to the slight handheld/mobile basis the controller also purportedly is built around, but I guess at least this time the core of the article isn't built around an image that's a pure fake.

Genio88

I think we already pretty much know what NX will be about, still i really can't see how will it look like, it should be a handheld device, but how will they manage to put all this things and features into those detachable pads while keeping it, hopefully, the size of a handheld device? Which to me shouldn't be that much bigger than a PS Vita

I was already imagining the Gamepad and Pro controller styles, so if they managed to work in seperated controllers as well, then that's awesome.
But really, I just want some concrete information at this point.

EDIT:

Yeah, I forgot how it *barely* made FPS's playable, made Metroid Prime Trilogy even better, and made VR as a thing work to begin with.

FPS are one of the handful of games that work better with motion controls...as I stated. Pikmin, which is a very specific kind of game that has no real comparison to any other, aslo works well, what else? And it's not like FPS are unplayable on keyboard and mouse or even on traditional controllers. They're very playable, I'd say the most popular FPS games today don't even use motion controls. And VR is nice, I guess. It's a different kind of experience, one that isn't particularly deep and is there for the occasional "Oh wow that's kinda cool...is that all there is?" reaction which I admit is a result of it infancy in the market and it will be a while before we see its staying power and what kind of impact it will have in the industry. Besides, it's not like we've gotten any indication Nintendo is pursuing VR with NX, have we?

LordOfChaos

That's what I had assumed they would be from the detachable from tablet patents. Some of the fan mockups were close to what I envisioned

bna2vdr9ujpepesben76.png

I'm interested. I thought the Wiimotes with Motion+ could have done more, especially paired with hardware several times more powerful than the Wii U let alone Wii.

Bonus Wii U development picture, it's kind of what they envisioned a long time ago too

VOOK64_2016-Jul-26-1.jpg

JimboJones

How would this work with a Handheld though? Wouldn't titles requiring motion controls be sort of awkward to play on the go or something?

Not really, 3DS, Vita, phones and tablets all support motion controlles these days. Motion control doesn't mean your swinging your system around.

Saoshyant

Splatoon became a tremendously important IP for Nintendo in less than one year and in their worst selling console. Of course they are going to make one for the NX eventually, and thus some form of motion control needs to exist to make that happen. I like it. Every console FPS is better when it supports good motion control, in my opinion.

I hope that's true. Certain games like Pikmin and Metroid Prime just play better with motion control. Just make it optional for those who want it.

If it means the return of Wiimote shooters, then holy fuck yes!

Greatest tragedy in gaming for me was the abandonment of IR aiming shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom