• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony is about to release the PS4 Neo because even the PS4 isn't "good enough VR" by their metric I guess. Google Cardboard level VR is still achievable I guess! Oh and I don't see Nintendo making a VR headset on a level with PSVR with the quality of screen it would require.

I suppose having these motion controls was a necessity if the thing was gonna be a "can play ALL Nintendo games" device, but boy is this thing gonna look fucking unwieldy as a result.

Nintendo don't give a fuck about graphics. I'm sure their VR games will basically be Wii games. I would be satisfied with a Wii Sports VR.

However I think VR would not be there for launch and won't even be mentioned. I expect Nintendo to do a sort of 2nd launch fir VR attachment in a year similar to how Sony are doing PSVR

Not opposed to the use of motion controls at all. The key is going to be that 3rd parties probably won't want to use them, so they better have a more standard control options for other types of games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The Wii is the only Nintendo console I never bought. (I borrowed a friend's to play Skyward Sword because I had to play Zelda) I hated the forced motion controls/pointer. Even being a huge LoZ fan I didn't enjoy Skyward Sword because of those things.

So I am extremely against this if the rumor is true. Unless they make it optional. Like shake the detached motion control in BotW or if you're playing with an full controller then just press Y. Having different options for different people is perfectly fine with me. But don't force the motion controls and pointing again Nintendo. Please!
It's a portable... Of course Wii type motion controls would be optional.

It just means that system will support any type of Nintendo software... Not that you'll have to jump around the room while playing Monster Hunter or Tekken xD

Being able to transfer my handheld into a Just Dance/Wii Sports machine on the fly would be pretty cool to be honest. Local coop is still the bomb.

Davey Cakes

Motion controls can be fitting and natural when implemented well in the right games. I'm totally down for Nintendo continuing to support alternative control schemes. It makes sense to include them in NX and phase out the Wiimote too.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...How will motion controls work with it being a portable? I mean Wii-esque motion controls. Gyro and whatnot makes sense on a handheld, but a Wii remote is hard to fathom with a handheld.

I mean, yes, it is a home console too, but I thought the idea was to play all games both ways? How does a Wii remote for the docked system fit into that?

Flare

I don't mind motion controllers, just hope they come as an accessory rather than be the controllers for the system.

ggx2ac

Motion controls can be fitting and natural when implemented well in the right games. I'm totally down for Nintendo continuing to support alternative control schemes. It makes sense to include them in NX and phase out the Wiimote too.

Because it makes sense for them to make a new Wii remote that doesn't infringe on Phillips patent so then they don't have to keep paying royalties.

Hence why I thought removing the IR pointer would be key because then it just becomes similar to the VR motion controllers.

Shin-Ra

The description of intensity (motor rotation speed?), pulsing and duration of vibration sounds like standard haptic feedback stuff.

HeySeuss

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the feedback part sounds more interesting to me. I always figured it would support motion controls anyway.

So does the fancier feedback mean that the screen would be a capacitive screen rather than a resistive on like the WiiU tablet? Just curious if that type of feedback needs a certain screen to function properly.

The_Lump

Banned
What if its a tablet book ended by wii controllers? Like this whole time its just 2 wiimotes that form together as one controller or can be turned individually for 2 players?

That....that's exactly what the Eurogamer rumour described isn't it? I mean there will almost certainly be a few more buttons than a standard WiiMote (and surely an analogue stick/circle pad), but essentially there's no difference between what they described and what you're describing here imo. At least that's how I've been imagining it all along anyway :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the feedback part sounds more interesting to me. I always figured it would support motion controls anyway.

So does the fancier feedback mean that the screen would be a capacitive screen rather than a resistive on like the WiiU tablet? Just curious if that type of feedback needs a certain screen to function properly.

I don't see why that would have to be the case. The steam controller touchpads are capacitive and they use variable vibrations, but I don't see why resistive wouldn't work. Might not be ideal though.

So Geno was correct about hybrid and also about the type of force feedback on the controllers!

Im not a huge fan of (Him or her?) but I remember the rumour saying all this plus The amazing job that Nintendo have done on Luigis Mansion NX. So I hope that that was true as well.

EDarkness

I don't mind motion controllers, just hope they come as an accessory rather than be the controllers for the system.

I don't want this at all, because as we saw with the the Wii U, if it's not in the box most studios wouldn't even bother. I would have purchased Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U if it included remote and nunchuck support. I purchased both COD games because they supported IR aiming. One of the few games that did. It was frustrating to get Deus Ex: HR and it didn't support it, same with Twilight Princess, which should have supported it as an option. So if it's not in the box, then I'm not gonna even bother with the NX.

Having the option for regular dual analog is good for those who want it, though. I'm all for that.

dose

I'm not up to speed with the latest NX rumours so forgive me, but wasn't the thinking that NX games could be played at home then taken on the move with the handheld part? If so how do you play motion control games whilst you're out and about?

Clessidor

I doubt so. The feedback seems to be in the controls. But if I remember right, didn't Nintendo patented recently some force feedback stuff using stereo vibration or something like that?

I think there was a thread. Have to search for it.

MuchoMalo

Banned

The design of the system itself would make it seem like very few games will require them anyway, but they're also nice to have and open the door to mobile VR in the future if Nintendo wants. It also costs very little to implement. I think people need to step back a bit before panicking. It seems unlikely that motion controls are going to be the end-all-be-all selling point of the system. Some games will probably be hurt by it, but probably not any more than Wii U.

So Geno was correct about hybrid and also about the type of force feedback on the controllers!

Im not a huge fan of (Him or her?) but I remember the rumour saying all this plus The amazing job that Nintendo have done on Luigis Mansion NX. So I hope that that was true as well.

I love how this is somehow being taken as a confirmation by most of you.

Turrican3

I'd LOVE the return of the king aka pointer controls.
And a well-done motion sensing might be useful as well (spent some 30+ hours on Wii Sports Resort ping pong alone, not to mention the wheel in Mario Kart Wii / 8).

BUT I also believe Nintendo should be *very* careful in what they do about the requirements: for example, a game that properly exploits IR pointing might turn out basically impossible to replicate with a dual analog setup (just think about World of Goo or PES Playmaker).

So I'd hope they choose a standard control method and stick with it, whatever it is.

VOOK64_2016-Jul-26-1.jpg

After the smash hit Wii U they really want to try the Wii U concept again eh?

HeySeuss

VOOK64_2016-Jul-26-1.jpg

After the smash hit Wii U they really want to try the Wii U concept again eh?

They invested a ton on that tablet tech and the tablet wasn't the reason the WiiU flopped to begin with.

What other form factor would one use? We've had a good idea it was going to resemble a tablet since day 1 rumors started. How else are you going to position a hybrid handheld/home console?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The design of the system itself would make it seem like very few games will require them anyway, but they're also nice to have and open the door to mobile VR in the future if Nintendo wants. It also costs very little to implement. I think people need to step back a bit before panicking. It seems unlikely that motion controls are going to be the end-all-be-all selling point of the system. Some games will probably be hurt by it, but probably not any more than Wii U.

I love how this is somehow being taken as a confirmation by most of you.

This is how every rumor thread goes. Not sure why this is surprising.

As long as I can play Breath of the Wild with regular-ass controls, they can go nuts. I have no problem with motion controls as an option; it's when they force them on you like Twilight Princess Wii that I can't take them. Button controls and some nice gyro-aiming is how I want to play my Zelda, not waggling every sword slash for a hundred hours.

The_Lump

Banned
They invested a ton on that tablet tech and the tablet wasn't the reason the WiiU flopped to begin with.

What other form factor would one use? We've had a good idea it was going to resemble a tablet since day 1 rumors started. How else are you going to position a hybrid handheld/home console?

Exactly. It's a handheld (at least in part); It has to have a screen in the middle and controls on either side :)

georly

Waggle can be good if it's to enable support for (optional) gyro aiming, the greatest gift to video games of the last 5 years.

I guess if it can also enable 'wii bowling on the go' that'd be sweet.

HeySeuss

It's weird because here Aonuma said: "Fans that enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword may actually be a little bit disappointed playing this game," he said.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16...the-wild-skyward-sword-e3-2016-wii-u-nintendo

He didn't say which version he was referring to. Probably wasn't allowed to comment on the NX version but thats even assuming motion is an option for the NX version to begin with.

Just because the NX might have motion control capabilities doesn't mean Zelda will use it. I'd be surprised if it wasn't an option though.

It's weird because here Aonuma said: "Fans that enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword may actually be a little bit disappointed playing this game," he said.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16...the-wild-skyward-sword-e3-2016-wii-u-nintendo

assuming this rumour is true, aonuma probably said it might not have full motion control like skyward sword, but probably minimal motion control... like twilight princess? if motion control indeed implemented for the game

EDarkness

It could be that he was talking about the Wii U version since they weren't talking about the NX at all. Even so, I doubt they'll add in motion attacks anyway, so if people were expecting that, then they'll be disappointed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo still wants to sell is Mario Party, Wario Ware and Co. in the future....if NX will be their only platform it has to support all kind of games they develop.

It isn't weird, just because the system supports Motion controls it doesn't mean that every game will use them. The whole gameplay and fighting system in Skyward Sword is based on motion controls, thats nothing they could add for BotW unless it was designed from the beginning to support such controls.

If there's something the Wiimote really excelled at, it's the pointer controls. It really worked for games that involved shooting or pointing at something like the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Sin & Punishment Star Successor and Pikmin 3.

I always wanted a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising (or atleast an HD port) that utilized it.

Chessr

I tell ya now. If this is correct they Will use the Wii brand one last time and they Will fail again like the U :/

MuchoMalo

Banned

Because motion controls wouldn't be the focus.

Everyone worried about waggle and forced motion controls needs to step back and think about why they were forced. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because they were there, but rather because there was no other choice. Wii shipped with only a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which meant that every game had to be tailored for those and their lack of buttons. Thus, we had waggle to make up for the missing buttons in a lot of cases. Basically, let's wait and see if there is even a lack of buttons in the first place before worrying about the return of Wii Waggle.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If it's just motion controls like OOT/MM/WW/TP aka small aiming when like using the bow its welcome. It's when it's straight motion that's the problem.

Luigiv

Well no shit on the motion controls. Everything has motion controls these days. As for the force feedback, interesting. Sounds like a natural evolution of rumble.

So they're totally going to market this as a portable Wii, aren't they?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The WiiBoy!

The WiiBoy does it all! It's a portable Wii, but also a GameBoy that you can play with regular controls, and can also hook up to your TV for home play! Controllers detached, it becomes a tablet! It's the dream device you always wanted! The WiiBoy!

ggx2ac

*Gasp* from the article.

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.

They state the report was accurate. Do they mean the whole thing?

Do we now have Kotaku, LPVG and WSJ backing Eurogamer on the NX hybrid and Tegra?

Man things are going to get funny and interesting considering the past couple of days.

Number of sources backing hybrid? 4 or more if we include NateDrake and Emily Rogers.

Number of sources backing seperate handheld and console by DMP and AMD respectively for some reason? ???... What sources?

The_Lump

Banned
Because motion controls wouldn't be the focus.

Everyone worried about waggle and forced motion controls needs to step back and think about why they were forced. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because they were there, but rather because there was no other choice. Wii shipped with only a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which meant that every game had to be tailored for those and their lack of buttons. Thus, we had waggle to make up for the missing buttons in a lot of cases. Basically, let's wait and see if there is even a lack of buttons in the first place before worrying about the return of Wii Waggle.

Indeed.

You only need to look at the button-mapping diagram of BoTW for the WiiU Gamepad to realise that, whatever the NX controller is, it probably isn't going to be short of conventional inputs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom