• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

Because motion controls wouldn't be the focus.

Everyone worried about waggle and forced motion controls needs to step back and think about why they were forced. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because they were there, but rather because there was no other choice. Wii shipped with only a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which meant that every game had to be tailored for those and their lack of buttons. Thus, we had waggle to make up for the missing buttons in a lot of cases. Basically, let's wait and see if there is even a lack of buttons in the first place before worrying about the return of Wii Waggle.

Exactly. Still, I understand how people aren't looking forward to "waggle". It was just a straight up lazy way to do motions and it sucked. When later games started to become more focused, it was much better. I always thought that No More Heroes did it right. Basic attacks done over and over again...buttons, special moves done every now and again...motions. Worked out great for that game. Should be the standard for all such games in the future, in my opinion.

No need to worry about this in Zelda, though. Attacks and such will be done with buttons as we've seen already. We don't really know what role motions will play in the game, but it's not gonna be anything like Skyward Sword, so people can relax about that.

ChaosXVI

I guess I just kind of assumed this was a thing once we saw the detachable controllers in the Eurogamer article, but good to get some confirmation. Everyone keeps clamoring for an HD remaster of the Super Mario Galaxy games but without Wii-type controls there's no way for it to work.

I wouldn't worry about motion controls being crammed into every upcoming NX game though. I think they're just wanting to future proof Wii and Wii U games so they can do remasters or a Wii/U eShop in the future. As others have said, I think they learned their lesson with Star Fox Zero.

Schnozberry

This makes a lot of sense when you think about it. For single player games both halves of the controller function in tandem and you have something approximating dual analogs. When they are separated for multiplayer, they are more versatile with gyros and perhaps iR pointer capability. I don't see what the issue is here, unless you have some Wii related PTSD.

Davey Cakes

Yeah. I'm pretty convinced that Eurogamer is mostly accurate, if not fully accurate.

I'll gladly eat a buffet of crow if that whole thing ends up being wrong. I have no issue with being incorrect, but the evidence is building towards a gaming machine that just makes sense for Nintendo.

Astorgh

I tell ya now. If this is correct they Will use the Wii brand one last time and they Will fail again like the U :/

I don't really think so. If this is the hybrid we all think it is, they probably will (or should) invest a little time with the name. They've used the “DS” brand for 12 years, and the “Wii” brand for 10 years. It's time for them to establish a new brand.

Because motion controls wouldn't be the focus.

Everyone worried about waggle and forced motion controls needs to step back and think about why they were forced. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because they were there, but rather because there was no other choice. Wii shipped with only a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which meant that every game had to be tailored for those and their lack of buttons. Thus, we had waggle to make up for the missing buttons in a lot of cases. Basically, let's wait and see if there is even a lack of buttons in the first place before worrying about the return of Wii Waggle.

Yep. Skyward Sword was built around the Wii Motion Plus. Maybe he meant they're going back to motion controls being secondary.

I guess I just kind of assumed this was a thing once we saw the detachable controllers in the Eurogamer article, but good to get some confirmation. Everyone keeps clamoring for an HD remaster of the Super Mario Galaxy games but without Wii-type controls there's no way for it to work.

I wouldn't worry about motion controls being crammed into every upcoming NX game though. I think they're just wanting to future proof Wii and Wii U games so they can do remasters or a Wii/U eShop in the future. As others have said, I think they learned their lesson with Star Fox Zero.

Sometimes Nintendo learns lessons in a strange way.

ggx2ac

Yeah. I'm pretty convinced that Eurogamer is mostly accurate, if not fully accurate.

I'll gladly eat a buffet of crow if that whole thing ends up being wrong. I have no issue with being incorrect, but the evidence is building towards a gaming machine that just makes sense for Nintendo.

Reposting.

*Gasp* from the article.

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.

They state the report was accurate. Do they mean the whole thing?

Do we now have Kotaku, LPVG and WSJ backing Eurogamer on the NX hybrid and Tegra?

Man things are going to get funny and interesting considering the past couple of days.

Number of sources backing hybrid? 4 or more if we include NateDrake and Emily Rogers.

Number of sources backing seperate handheld and console by DMP and AMD respectively for some reason? ???... What sources?

At this point, where are the conflicting reports from other game sites or insiders?

Is there really any reasonable doubt at this point?

optimiss

I like this one
fK8USZY.png

They don't even need to be whole controllers. It could just be replaceable button pieces as seen in that one patent. That would be cheap enough to be packed in with games like the rumble pack or ram expansion on the N64. You could have the perfect button layout for every game.

EDarkness

I honestly believe that Star Fox Zero would have been MUCH better if it just used the remote and nunchuck. Adding in the screen view just made it more of a hassle. If they did a version of the game on the NX, I hope they make that adjustment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More unique, interesting, and emergent interactive concepts were explored with the Wii's split gyro plus IR pointer control scheme than the Wii U's overly safe touch screen. The tech went a long way to differentiate the Wii from its competitors, and for the first time in a long time peaked my curiosity towards application of non-standardised technology to interacting with virtual spaces. Even when it was rough and prototype in execution, I was at least intrigued as to how the game systems would explore the tech, in a way I wasn't getting anywhere else.

I openly welcome the return of a standardised split motion control scheme and hope as many developers utilise it as possible.

georly

Fuck yes.

Just cut out the tutorial and some fetch quest stuff like they did for TPHD and I'm in.

They... they didn't really cut out anything for TPHD. Tutorial and all the forced minigames were still intact. Don't expect much to change in skyward sword, either. There really isn't much you can do other than a few convenience improvements here and there. The game has some design flaws, but it's designed tightly around them so reworking them isn't always possible. They can improve things like walking on ropes, climb speed (to a degree - some 'puzzle' climbing sections are designed around the speed), and maybe drop rate on some items, reduce the number of tad tones/light tears, etc, but it'd be pretty tough to change much else.

Still no mic input because no voice chat.

Yeah I'm still not counting on system-wide voice chat, but even the 3DS had a microphone. And any 3.5mm jack can support a mic if nintendo wants it to.

EDarkness

More unique, interesting, and emergent interactive concepts were explored with the Wii's split gyro plus IR pointer control scheme than the Wii U's overly safe touch screen. The tech went a long way to differentiate the Wii from its competitors, and for the first time in a long time peaked my curiosity towards application of non-standardised technology to interacting with virtual spaces. Even when it was rough and prototype in execution, I was at least intrigued as to how the game systems would explore the tech, in a way I wasn't getting anywhere else.

I openly welcome the return of a standardised split motion control scheme and hope as many developers utilise it as possible.

*high-five* Hell yeah, EC. :D

Number of sources backing seperate handheld and console by DMP and AMD respectively for some reason? ???... What sources?

Hey man... Some people spent quite a few minutes digging up those DMP and AMD rumors independently. Who are you going to trust? Unnamed sources that are in the industry or people you can talk to on Twitter who have LinkedIn accounts?

I mean, this shouldn't surprise any of us. As soon as we learned that the unit has two detachable controllers on either side for multiplayer, of course they were bound to have some kind of motion/ gyro function. Nintendo hasn't released a system without some kind of motion control since the GBA.

And as to the questions of accuracy of this report, we're seven months out from the global release of the NX, assuming no further delays. In order for Nintendo to have *any* software ready for launch beyond first and second party, information for control inputs and near-final specs would have to have been sent along to major third-parties 6+ months ago. You can't make a launch title in seven months.

Davey Cakes

Please be true. And Capcom needs to put RE4HD on NX with motion controls. I'll buy it at a high price!
You know what would be great? Revelations 1 and 2 collection on NX with pointer controls.
Probably won't happen since Capcom didn't seem too pleased with how Revelations performed on 3DS and Wii U.

I believe there's an audience for RE games on Nintendo systems but Capcom has to be smart about the timing (Revelations 3DS was released too early to a low install base) and they have to work on quality control (Revelations Wii U was apparently the worst version by a noticeable degree).

You know what would be great? Revelations 1 and 2 collection on NX with pointer controls.

Probably won't happen since Capcom didn't seem too pleased with how Revelations performed on 3DS and Wii U.

Everyone is talking about Resident Evil and all I want is for Okami HD to leave the PS3...

EDarkness

Maybe adding in motion controls/IR shooting will help get people to jump in. I would have tried it if that were the case. Though, I heard the Wii U version had some problems compared to the other versions. It's been a while, so I might be remembering it wrong.

ggx2ac

Hey man... Some people spent quite a few minutes digging up those DMP and AMD rumors independently. Who are you going to trust? Unnamed sources that are in the industry or people you can talk to on Twitter who have LinkedIn accounts?

lol

And I was made fun of on Twitter when I said I enjoyed spending time making the effort to scrutinise things regarding all sides, Nvidia, AMD, DMP, hybrid, handheld, console etc. Which definitely took more than a few minutes because I couldn't just believe the claims that were being made that had weak arguments to support it.

Edit: Remember, I always argued against the dock! Because there wasn't much evidence for it.

NX needs to have some kind of "Pro" normal controller boxed with the system. Especially if it's designed to be docked in an entertainment center for TV play, there must be a traditional-ish dual analog controller similar to the Wii U Pro controller for AAA games.

Griss

Well, I love the Wiimote and would be glad to see it's return but the IR pointer is the essential feature, not the motion control.

Um...

Eurogamer leak - 26/07/16

LPVG leak - 26/08/16

Exactly a month apart.

This is a controlled leak to build up hype. I think we can expect the reveal a month from now.

EVH

Dont believe it, specially if that patent with the "empty" controllers was going to be used for this machine.

Astorgh

NX needs to have some kind of "Pro" normal controller boxed with the system. Especially if it's designed to be docked in an entertainment center for TV play, there must be a traditional-ish dual analog controller similar to the Wii U Pro controller for AAA games.

I'm just asking for analog triggers. It's still unclear to me why they stopped using them.

wrowa

Nintendo has never abandoned motion controls. Both the Wii U GamePad and the 3DS have integrated motion controls, almost every Nintendo game supports gyro-assisted aiming (well, games where you have to aim at least :p) and there's literally no reason to assume this would change with the NX. To the contrary, Breath of the Wild is using gyro controls as well, so it only makes sense that the NX would too.

Following the Eurogamer rumors, the only remaining question is: Where is the motion technology located inside of the hardware? In the main unit(/one of the controllers) or in the controller parts? The first option would be less expensive, the second allows for motion controls when using both sides separately.

Considering that a scenario where you use two "half controllers" to play a multiplayer game, logically limits the amount of control inputs each player can use, it also seems likely that both parts are Wiimote-like in nature. It allows both for slightly more complex and also simpler games and due to the natural restrictions these "half controllers" have, it's reasonable to assume that they are primarily designed for simple multiplayer games (which are Nintendo's strong suit).

I doubt we'll see them being used often in single player games for the simple reason that intricate motion controls just wouldn't work on the go. If the NX is indeed a hybrid device, it's absolutely key that most games work well on both platforms. And when a game makes heavy use of motion controls (e.g. Skyward Sword), the controls affect the entirety of the game design. Meaning that the motion controls either have to be very simple (Twilight Princess-like waggle that can easily be replaced with a button press or tilt) or not included at all, since you can't just provide a simple "motion off" button.

Which is also the reason people don't have to fear that Breath of the Wild could use Skyward Sword-like controls: all enemy encounters would need to be designed around them, the handling and movement of weapons would need to be adjusted (a slow, heavy claymore wouldn't feel right when you move your hand as quickly as using a light sword), the moves Link can make (since they need to feel natural in response to what you are doing with your hands), etc. That would be like making an entirely new version of the game, way too much work to be feasible.

Since all of this seems to be a rather obvious possibility, I also have problems taking the rumor seriously as proposed insider knowledge. Everyone could have come to this conclusion based on the known leaks, the chance of this happening is relatively high (only hurdle being the increased cost, which might or might not be a deal breaker).

Um...

Eurogamer leak - 26/07/16

LPVG leak - 26/08/16

Exactly a month apart.

This is a controlled leak to build up hype. I think we can expect the reveal a month from now.

If this were a controlled leak, Nintendo wouldn't use a no-name website no one has ever heard of to spread its message.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Presumably, the two halves of the controller would either combine into a traditional controller or function as a split traditional controller.

maxcriden

Presumably, the two halves of the controller would either combine into a traditional controller or function as a split traditional controller.

That and, if the half controllers can't combine to make a regular one, presumably there very well may be a proper regular old controller included with the system or available for purchase separately. It seems moderately unlikely the controller half would be the only or ven necessarily primary way to play on the TV.

TheMoon

It's weird because here Aonuma said: "Fans that enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword may actually be a little bit disappointed playing this game," he said.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16...the-wild-skyward-sword-e3-2016-wii-u-nintendo

It's very simple. He was talking about the sword fighting. Because the SS sword fighting is not in BotW. Even if NX has detachable Wiimotes, it won't have SS combat because it has BotW combat which functions inherently different from SS. That is all. Mystery solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom