• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Yes, LordOfChaos. There it is.

VOOK64_2016-Jul-26-1.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So a Wii U and two Wii's duct taped together?

Watch it be called

Wii + U

Motion control are great. Made the wii so .uh fun, created the VR basic intersezione and in any case in portable mode will probably gamepad like so I would be happy

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Still being able to use Wiimotes and Co. would be great for coop. Would save me some money.

Effect

This is a rumor I hope is true. As much as I enjoyed the Wii U one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo made was not putting a Wii remote and nunchuck in the box. The other was not improving on the design. Between the Wii mote and the pro controller they had all bases covered in terms of control input. Hell they could have kept the gamepad if they still wanted to do the second screen thing.

Improve the Wii remote design beyond the Wii Remote Plus by making it even more accurate and adding more buttons so on the button front it's more on par with the pro controller and all controller excuses disappear and you keep pointer control for shooters, strategy games, motion based games, etc.

EDarkness

It's so sad when people hear Wii Remote, they think waggle when those motion controls are used in VR now.

There probably won't even be IR pointers, it might just be motion sensors, accelerometers and gyros.

Best part is if it's in both controllers. I actually thought the NX controller would be two Wii Remotes one time (speculation) before the Eurogamer rumours because I made the example of play splatoon where I can shoot with one hand and aim to throw a grenade with the other for multitasking.

Well, if they're used as pointers, then I'm in for an NX day one. The Wii remote is my favorite controller and if they brings those back with some updates, then I'm all for that. I don't even care about "waggle". Just to be able to FINALLY have the possibility to play more mainstream games with motion controls and pointer capability would be like a dream come true. Playing Resident Evil 4 with the remote was awesome. I would love to play games like Batman, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. with the remote. I don't care about the haters, bring on the remote games!

Sorcerer

Ooh, yeah that's Laura K Buzz's site
She's ex destructoid and collaborates with Jim Sterling a lot
Yeah, she correctly predicted the Until Dawn spin off

The best part of Destructoid has always been its British arm. (No longer a thing)

Check out the Lets Play Video Games Podcast!!!

http://letsplayvideogames.com/category/podcasts/

Laura, Vikki and Joe are the best!!!

I bet the Sub Terrain Mole Queen was able to burrow from underground into Ninty's headquarters to get this information to us.

So, if this rumour turns out to be true... you'll have a portable system that can be plugged into a dock so you can play on your TV with traditional controls that are fully removable and can be used as Wii Remotes, while also supporting current Wii Remotes, but isn't backward compatible with the Wii, and is meant to attract casual smartphone and lapsed Wii gamers.

This sounds really unfocussed to me.

Why not have motion controls in the Wii U version of BotW? The Wii U supports Wii remotes.

And then there's stuff like this. They should just leave all the Wii stuff behind for NX. Just walk away. It's done.

Welp... Color me even more excited than before! I personally loved the tech behind the Wii-mote, so I'm happy to see something similar return. The idea of haptic vibration for a handheld sounds absolutely awesome as well. Can't wait to see what the NX really looks and plays like as I'll buy on day one no matter what.

Is this another nail in the coffin of the NX = portable + home console argument? I'm sure dozens of Twitter users are currently browsing LinkedIn to prove why it isn't!

JqYTmjn.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Motion Controls without VR in 2017 is about as backwards as it gets.

This thing is gonna be weird. Like, imagine playing Just Dance on portable mode with this with motion controls. How does that even work?

I also have a bad feeling the reveal isn't until October, just too quiet.

jblank83

Have there been rumors about how large the NX is? Because all these rumors make it seem absolutely huge.

Everything is pure speculation. Speculation right now is that it's tablet sized.

Everything is bollocks until Nintendo actually reveals the NX, though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. Not a fan of motion controls, so would probably put me further into wait a year plus and see how it pans out mode. Unless it's clear from the get go that motion controls will just be for games like Just Dance, Wii Sports type of things and not put in most games like on the Wii. I hated that shit in games like the two Zeldas and Mario Galaxies.

fernoca

This thing is gonna be weird. Like, imagine playing Just Dance on portable mode with this with motion controls. How does that even work?
Maybe like remote play on PS4/Vita, some games won't work.

But Just Dance is available on phones and tablets, so maybe it will work as a monitor and people play with their phones or Wii Remotes...or detached controllers.

ggx2ac

From my post in the first page. The 3 styles of play already apply to LoZ: BotW if this is true.

The detachable controllers attached to the NX is the Wii U Gamepad style which is the same as in the Wii U version of the game.

Detachable controllers separated from NX is Wii Remote style and could end up as an option in the Wii U version unless you need motion controls in both hands for a reason.

Detachable controllers attached to a module is the Wii U Pro Controller mode when the NX is docked. So there may be a Wii U Pro Controller option in the Wii U version.

Sorcerer

Cool, more shit I have to buy! What do we say, 20 bucks a piece?

Now I am worried that they are going to require certain attachments and typical Nintendo short supply them, such as the case with the Smash adapter.

I hope these attachments are not the new Amiibo.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm super down for a return of the Wiimote. If it's more precise and has better vibration/feedback. No motionplus this time plz.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I would sincerly love to see the Wiimote / Nunchuk setup again, honestly. Been replaying some Wii games recently (Sin & Punishment 2, Wii Sports Resort, the first Metroid Prime Wii-make), and I've realised how much I miss both the possibility to have your arms in several positions, as you feel best, contrary to the standard pad, as well as the potential of IR aiming / motion-controlled gameplay.

Hermii

If this rumor is true, you're only a head mount away from "good enough" VR.

540p screen powered by a tegra says no.

Edit:

Of course it depends on how you define "good enough". Ive read that even an OG PS4 With PSVR isnt that great.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If this rumor is true, you're only a head mount away from "good enough" VR.

Sony is about to release the PS4 Neo because even the PS4 isn't "good enough VR" by their metric I guess. Google Cardboard level VR is still achievable I guess! Oh and I don't see Nintendo making a VR headset on a level with PSVR with the quality of screen it would require.

I suppose having these motion controls was a necessity if the thing was gonna be a "can play ALL Nintendo games" device, but boy is this thing gonna look fucking unwieldy as a result.

eggandI

Banned
That's fine. As long as they don't force motion controls then I'm down for the NX. Just wish they'd reveal it already.

From my post in the first page. The 3 styles of play already apply to LoZ: BotW if this is true.

The detachable controllers attached to the NX is the Wii U Gamepad style which is the same as in the Wii U version of the game.

Detachable controllers separated from NX is Wii Remote style and could end up as an option in the Wii U version unless you need motion controls in both hands for a reason.

Detachable controllers attached to a module is the Wii U Pro Controller mode when the NX is docked. So there may be a Wii U Pro Controller option in the Wii U version.

I would be so happy if this is really the way things work, which seems likely! I'm betting we'll see themed controller attachments for NX in the same way we have Mario themed Wii-Remotes. Same functionality but different styles. I'm also willing to bet that whatever "module" gives you a pro-controller mode is sold separate for at least $20. The more I think about this the more it sounds like a Nintendo product. I'm fully convinced.

phanphare

Banned
Sony is about to release the PS4 Neo because even the PS4 isn't "good enough VR" by their metric I guess. Google Cardboard level VR is still achievable I guess!

I suppose having these motion controls was a necessity if the thing was gonna be a "can play ALL Nintendo games" device, but boy is this thing gonna look fucking unwieldy as a result.

pics?

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, if this rumour turns out to be true... you'll have a portable system that can be plugged into a dock so you can play on your TV with traditional controls that are fully removable and can be used as Wii Remotes, while also supporting current Wii Remotes, but isn't backward compatible with the Wii, and is meant to attract casual smartphone and lapsed Wii gamers.

This sounds really unfocussed to me.

And then there's stuff like this. They should just leave all the Wii stuff behind for NX. Just walk away. It's done.

You can make anything sound unfocused if you try hard enough.

Oersted

+1.

Thought it is always the same: Is it legit info, or fake clickbait article based on the previous Eurogamer article?

After all we saw everything can happen after the fake 3D printed controllers.

If you mean everything as in people believing in everything no matter how blatant fake...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No, Vive controllers have positional detection, the NX will only have aiming and rotation detection. Unless the NX includes a couple sensors you can place in your room to detect position there's no way they can do it.

I wasn't at all referring to roomscale movement. Just the vibration functions.

eaise

Neo Member
The Wii is the only Nintendo console I never bought. (I borrowed a friend's to play Skyward Sword because I had to play Zelda) I hated the forced motion controls/pointer. Even being a huge LoZ fan I didn't enjoy Skyward Sword because of those things.

So I am extremely against this if the rumor is true. Unless they make it optional. Like shake the detached motion control in BotW or if you're playing with an full controller then just press Y. Having different options for different people is perfectly fine with me. But don't force the motion controls and pointing again Nintendo. Please!

TheMoon

They're still pushing this shit? Another system with forced motion controls that barely make a handful of games better, a majority ignore, and any that are just shoehorned into, worse.

everything has motion controls to some degree today. join us in the present. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom