• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 4 gets graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

That's what I've been saying the entire time. You just weren't paying attention.

I've been paying attention, your posts before you actually outright explained it are terrible at getting that point across because they come off with a snide 'if they do it I'll do it too!' vibe.

I've been paying attention, your posts before you actually outright explained it are terrible at getting that point across because they come off with a snide 'if they do it I'll do it too!' vibe.

He got his point across exactly in his first post. He has clarified it somewhat since but it was easy to see what he meant in his first post.

StuBurns

Banned
They may not tell me exactly how it will run on my spec of PC but they can give me a general idea of how well optimized the game is.
And that doesn't help you much at all, considering the result is still always a huge advantage to the PC. If it wasn't, you'd have actually been able to provide an example of where it isn't, instead of blowing off the question.
Come the fuck on, how is mentioning the PC version of a game hurting GAF as a whole? How is it having anymore impact than the endless arguments and console wars that erupt when comparing just the console versions?
I didn't say as a whole.
Like i said it's not just about if they're better but by how much. If they're pretty much the same that may make the console version more appealing. Knowing how big the difference is makes a difference.
Again, name one. You're wrong. The high end gaming PCs always completely outclass console ports, and they always will. There is no case where a top rig is 'close enough' to the console version that makes it a hard decision for that player. And anything below the top end rigs is irrelevant in the question of which version is 'definitive'.

quetz67

Banned
BRIAN: Brothers! Brothers! We should be struggling together!
FRANCIS: We are! Ohh.
BRIAN: We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!
EVERYONE: The WiiU?!
BRIAN: No, no! The PC Elite!
EVERYONE: Oh, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yes.

SmokyDave

How big exactly would the difference be? I really can't see what harm it does extending the discussion to the PC version. Again you can simply ignore that information if it's irrelevant to you.
I'm not sure to be honest. My PC certainly outperforms my PS3 / 360, but not by enough to make me think it'll do the same to the next consoles. And that's cool, I knew I was building it to a fairly tight budget and it's about 3 years old now.

I definitely think the information is handy, because the type of people that read it already have a grasp on where their hardware sits in the totem pole. It's true though that saying 'PC wins' isn't always relevant to the individual, because there isn't a 'PC'. There are hundreds of differing hardware configurations that will all produce different results.

I think the idea of a downloadable system scanner that benchmarks your PC against the new consoles is genius. I can imagine it would be a technical nightmare to put one together though. Too many variables.

Alej

Banned
In my case, with my PC with a HD4650 in it, PS4 is the definitive version.
Fact, and my PC is a PC, not any less than a PC.

So PC<PS4 by my POV.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

No my point is you don't throw stones in glass houses. It's about blatant bias. Fact of the matter is this forum will be full of bias, there's no helping it, it's an enthusiast site. I was pointing you can't simply make your preference so blatant and expect others not to turn it on you.

It's silly and childish but they will it's human nature. You accept it and move on. you don't throw a tantrum about it point fingers. You accept the fact and move on.

Just pointing out that this isn't some 'PC elitism' thing, because I'm damn sure plenty of console users would have done the same sort of thing in my example.

Some people just have a different idea of what 'definitive' means.

That's fair enough, using "definitive" opens the door and people will rush through.

It's poor form, but to be expected.

It's really an odd term anyway, as you rightly point out it'll mean different things to different people depending on what they prioritise. I've got friends who could see a PS3 version of a multi-platform game running smoother and yet never consider it definitive purely because they hate the controller so much.

geordiemp

lets say it again - many console players do not want to play with PC type community online.

My son and his teenage friends want CASUAL games where kids play like headless chickens using controllers and similar demographic.

They do not want a community with dual cross fire SLI 2 monitor gaming mouse 30 something players taking gaming seriously.

So it does not matter if PC with titans can run ultra resolution 120 fps - the community is just not right for teenagers who want to play in party with their friends like PSN or Xbox live.

So, unless PC community like steam all of s sudden becomes more casual, control pad only aim assist type online with kids then it will stay the way it is.

So for me I am here to decide between XB1 and Ps4 for the family for 2 consoles, and Steam / Valve box and gaming rig is not a consideration no matter what the performance or price - I would think many console gamers are the same.

I didn't say as a whole.

Where has it had any negative impact on GAF at all? Speaking of blowing off questions what disadvantage is there of making a comparison to the PC version? Nobody loses out in that situation. If you aren't interested just ignore the information.

Again, name one. You're wrong. The high end gaming PCs always completely outclass console ports, and they always will. There is no case were a top rig is 'close enough' to the console version that makes it a hard decision for that player. And anything below the top end rigs is irrelevant in the question of which version is 'definitive'.

For many people playing games on consoles is far more convenient, this means that the PC version has to do something special to get them to switch over. PC games may all be superior fair enough but you can't possibly say that the difference between all PC and console versions are the same. With some games it feels like a generational difference with others you barely feel like you notice a difference.

You're right i can't remember specific examples because for essentially the last 2 years i've really only played 2 games for any decent length of time. I don't think either one of us is capable of remembering the difference between all the console/PC versions of games.

MogCakes

He got his point across exactly in his first post. He has clarified it somewhat since but it was easy to see what he meant in his first post.
I prefer it when people express it clearly the first time around.

I at no point said that it was okay.

I simply pointed out the hilarious irony of what has been almost community wide behavioural pattern that has had little to no "moral backlash" suddenly be a 15 page issue when that behavioural pattern is pointed ever so slightly in a certain direction.

I don't agree with it, but internet gonna internet.
Not an issue, more like a playground fight. By behavioral pattern you mean the Pro-PS4 Anti-XB1 sentiment? Are you saying that's deserving of backlash?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
lets say it again - many console players do not want to play with PC type community online.

My son and his teenage friends want CASUAL games where kids play like headless chickens using controllers and similar demographic.

They do not want a community with dual cross fire SLI 2 monitor gaming mouse 30 something players taking gaming seriously.

So it does not matter if PC with titans can run ultra resolution 120 fps - the community is just not right for teenagers who want to play in party with their friends like PSN or Xbox live.

So, unless PC community like steam all of s sudden becomes more casual, control pad only aim assist type online with kids then it will stay the way it is.

The freck is this, I played plenty of pc games on as teenager, did the WoW phenomenon completely pass you by? There's was a whole section of teenagers in my school that wouldn't stop talking about it.

I honestly don't see your point.

So for me I am here to decide between XB1 and Ps4 for the family for 2 consoles, and Steam / Valve box and gaming rig is not a consideration no matter what the performance or price - I would think many console gamers are the same.

Your post and your intentions are just so transparent.

MogCakes

No my point is you don't throw stones in glass houses. It's about blatant bias. Fact of the matter is this forum will be full of bias, there's no helping it, it's an enthusiast site. I was pointing you can't simply make your preference so blatant and expect others not to turn it on you.

It's silly and childish but they will it's human nature. You accept it and move on. you don't throw a tantrum about it point fingers. You accept the fact and move on.
I agree. Wish you'd said that the first time.

So you know what your son and all of his friends want?

StuBurns

Banned
Where has it had any negative impact on GAF at all? Speaking of blowing off questions what disadvantage is their of making a comparison to the PC version? Nobody loses out in that situation. If you aren't interested just ignore the information.
This thread apparently. It comes up frequently that the GAF community is divided by all these face-offs. Not just for PC, for consoles too, I just think those actually have some value because we don't know the outcome before hand, they're not exclusively dick waving. PS3 and 360 was constantly back and forth, that's interesting, and that's important. If you owned both, which version of FFXIII should you buy? Which version of Bayonetta? Which version of RDR? Which version of GTA5? That's valuable consumer advice. Yes, it's used for console war ammunition too, but that's a side effect of something that's actually worth while. If the PS4 wins every face off against the XBO, those comparison will be every bit as pointless as this one.
For many people playing games on consoles is far more convenient, this means that the PC version has to do something special to get them to switch over. PC games may all be superior fair enough but you can't possibly say that the difference between all PC and console versions are the same. With some games it feels like a generational difference with others you barely feel like you notice a difference.

You're right i can't remember specific examples because for essentially the last 2 years i've really only played 2 games for any decent length of time. I don't think either one of us is capable of remembering the difference between all the console/PC versions of games.
Those things, the other elements which separate the PC from the consoles, they're subjective, which is fine, I prefer consoles actually, I'd rather take a huge hit on performance and image quality for the things I like about consoles, but that's irrelevant. When people say 'the definitive version', they're not talking about having a map on the gamepad, or an hour of extra ship battles on the PlayStation versions. They're talking about the the performance and image quality, the objective things you can actually breakdown and compare accurately.

If the XBO version of Watch Dogs runs and looks better than the PS4 version, the PS4 version isn't better because you can hack quicker, or any other random thing people use to separate individual versions.

It's a global overview of performance, it's not about preference.

geordiemp

How am I transparent - We have 2 360's and 2 Ps3 in our house and am making mind up about next 2 to buy.

Maybe my perception of steam community is wrong - in UK all of my sons friends play on 360 or PSN and none of them at all ever mention steam or gaming PC rigs.

I am on steam as have a gaming laptop but would not consider it for him - I use it to play odd game when travelling for me.

I confess I have not played any online multiplayer on PC, so it is just a simple observation from what I see with my kids and their mates...

szaromir

Banned
It seems daft to constantly compare PC to console, just as it's daft to judge handheld games by console standards.
Not really since consoles, just like PC, aren't portable, and you can plug consoles and PC into the exact same display device and use the same controller. On the user end there's no difference, besides the fact that you modify the PC experience to whatever you need/want/can afford it to be, whereas you have no such choice with consoles.

Skeff

Not really since consoles, just like PC, aren't portable, and you can plug consoles and PC into the exact same display device and use the same controller. On the user end there's no difference, besides the fact that you modify the PC experience to whatever you need/want/can afford it to be, whereas you have no such choice with consoles.

You narrowed your argument down to only one factor and that's if you can plug it into a TV.

You could have made the exact opposite point by simply limiting your argument to a different factor, fixed hardware.

geordiemp

So you know what your son and all of his friends want?

Well they seem happy playing COD (silly party games quick scoping and mike myers whatever that is), zombies, minecraft and MW3 infected and borderlands, BF3 etc etc

I know they are all teen kids but its what they and all their mates / class play. He is much better at COD zombies than me LOL.

I might get a gaming rig but it would be for myself, for family it is 2 consoles.

geordiemp

The freck is this, I played plenty of pc games on as teenager, did the WoW phenomenon completely pass you by? There's was a whole section of teenagers in my school that wouldn't stop talking about it.

I honestly don't see your point.

Fair enough, different circles - I played Ps1, Ps2, gave it a break for many years, then came back Wii and then moved onto Ps3 and 360 when my kids grew out of Wii.

Maybe my kids being 10 and under are too young, maybe when they get teenager he will start nagging me for a gaming rig.....who knows...

Brera

Banned
I don't really have time to mess around with config.sis and balance virtual memory anymore making boot disks.

That's why I'll stick to PS4 as my definitive version. It's just plug and play!

I really can't see what harm it does extending the discussion to the PC version.
It harms the discussion because it doesn't add anything to it. It actually ends the discussion because there's nothing discussable about the PC version being potentially better. That's factual.

Car Analogy:

It's as if someone would open a thread on a car forum to compare the BMW X3 against an Audi Q3 and another person would come in and mention how much faster his ferrari is.
It's completely pointless and creates background noise for the other people in the thread who actually want to discus the difference between the Q3 and the X3.

goomba

Banned
M°°nblade;83938949 said:

Car Analogy:

It's as if someone would open a thread on a car forum to compare the BMW X3 against an Audi Q3 and another person would come in and mention how much faster his ferrari is.
It's completely pointless and creates background noise for the other people in the thread who actually want to discus the difference between the Q3 and the X3.

In a fair analogy to this thread , the title would be "BMW X3 is fastest car in the world" , which of course is not true so the
first post would be "ferrari cancelled ?"

The article says the WiiU version is on par with the current gen versions. Not sure what's wrong is.

because it completely contradicts what this bloke has said to real journalists yesterday, so therefore this article is bollocks, thread should be locked and discussion shifted to any of the several other watchdogs threads started yesterday

StuBurns

Banned
because it completely contradicts what this bloke has said to real journalists yesterday, so therefore this article is bollocks, thread should be locked and discussion shifted to any of the several other watchdogs threads started yesterday
What if this is the correct one though?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
M°°nblade;83938949 said:

If car comparison threads are anything like video game console ones, then there'd hardly be any worthwhile discussion with or without the Ferrari being included.

The sudden fantasy of console comparison threads being places of civil and intelligent discourse is just bizarre to me. We know what they all turn into. We've had years and years of it. It's not going to change and it certainly isn't better than just leaving PC out of the mix.

bj00rn_

Banned
GAF is not a console-only forum, the OP fucked up when he made the title. Simple as that. As a multi-system gamer I actually did a honest double-take when I saw this thread, thinking that either they screwed up the PC version, or it had been cancelled.

And lastly, about the trend I've seen on here lately: It's pretty bad for GAF's health as a whole if we're headed in a direction where everything not 100% PS4-positive blows up.
If it's ok to talk about the difference between A and B, then it's also ok to talk about the difference between B and C so-to-speak..

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Perhaps they just ignored the PC version because...well most people do
PC isn't exactly at the forefront of marketing either, ie console versions are always the ones being pushed.

szaromir

Banned
and portability isn't a factor that's important to me.

But we're not talking about us, we're talking about a sweeping statement like "definitive"
Then it's easy to bet that a modern gaming rig will provide the definitive experience, regardless of the rumor.

Dragon

Banned
GAF is not a console-only forum, the OP fucked up when he made the title. Simple as that. As a multi-system gamer I actually did a honest double-take when I saw this thread, thinking that either they screwed up the PC version, or it had been cancelled.

And lastly, about the trend I've seen on here lately: It's pretty bad for GAF's health as a whole if we're headed in a direction where everything not 100% PS4-positive blows up.
If it's ok to talk about the difference between A and B, then it's also ok to talk about the difference between B and C so-to-speak..

It's not a given at this point that the PC version is going to outperform any console? Weird.

Vizzeh

Banned
So their saying 1080p for PS4, 720p For 360, TBD for X1?

But as for framerate, it says both achieve 60fps, ps4 easily, X1 suffers dips... So why would they focus on 30fps...

Brera

Banned
If car comparison threads are anything like video game console ones, then there'd hardly be any worthwhile discussion with or without the Ferrari being included.

The sudden fantasy of console comparison threads being places of civil and intelligent discourse is just bizarre to me. We know what they all turn into. We've had years and years of it. It's not going to change and it certainly isn't better than just leaving PC out of the mix.

I think the problem we have right now is that because this generation has been so long, someone who was given a 360 when they were 10 is now an adult at 18.

This is their first war.

Us vets know the horror of console wars :-(

MogCakes

I think the problem we have right now is that because this generation has been so long, someone who was given a 360 when they were 10 is now an adult at 18.

This is their first war.

Us vets know the horror of console wars :-(

That really puts this gen in perspective. Holy shit.

Bringing the PC version into discussion when it's not initially part of it is all good and dandy as long as we also bring to the table that PCs =/= High End PC's. PC version will be both worse, on par, and better than the console versions, so as long as we don't forget that the PC version isn't simply going to be better but at the same time worse and on par... it's all cool. And because the PC version can be any of those 3, it's almost pointless to bring it up in a console vs console thread.

No, your high end PC isn't "The PC".

SmokyDave

I'm surprised that this comment has been pretty much buried:

"Meh. Wii U is on par with current generation, to be honest."

Two months ago, that would've made for a 20 page thread on its own. War, war has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom