• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Bundy

Banned
Might be wrong but they said the PS3 was due in the Spring of '06 and that got pushed back to November. What's to keep this from happening again?

The Three Musketeers

i304u2R.jpg

But still enough time to get those who are on the fence and just want a new system.
That reminds me of the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war. Blu-ray was hands down the superior format, and it was being pushed by every major CE manufacturer other than Toshiba, but its delayed launch (by just several months) convinced a significant number of early adopters to pull the trigger on HD DVD, and they became the most rabid defense force for a product I have ever encountered. The hysterics I read on forums like AVS around the launch of the ps3 were incredible.

FranXico

They won't allow Microsoft a headstart again this time.

Even if they did, it would not be more than one month or two. Even if Microsoft pulls a Saturn (with only a Forza 5 that needs to be downloaded nearly in full to show for), the damage won't be anywhere near what happened last gen.

FranXico

Might be wrong but they said the PS3 was due in the Spring of '06 and that got pushed back to November. What's to keep this from happening again?

You are very likely wrong. The PS3 had two unproven technologies, the Cell CPU and the Blu-Ray drive, both of which had production issues.

Mahonay

Banned
Clearly you would get BF4 on launch and everyone else would have to wait :p

Assuming it does release earlier than the dates posted for BF4 and ACIV

2 possibilities

1. ACIV and BF4 release earlier on launch of PS4
2. They ship you BF4 separately when it comes out

Pretty sure it would be 1 though
Seems like #2 would be the most likely outcome.

demolitio

Ugh, this filth should be bannable...

It'd be funny if Sony actually truly did have the supply ready for walk-ins so those people can only break even. Don't think it should be bannable though. :D

Remember all those poor resellers that were stupid enough to buy up a bunch of Wii U's just to find out the demand wasn't there and there were plenty of consoles to buy? I still see a few of them trying to ask for ridiculous amounts on Ebay as if they never bothered taking it down or lowering the price.

Well, launching on a Monday would be neat. Monday is my worst day, so it would at least be a motivating factor to get through the day so I can get my PS4.

Bring it on!

Espada

Makes more sense to drop it the 29th imo. Closer to payday and other game release dates.

I was popping in to say exactly that. October 21st doesn't really make much sense and their launch would be that much stronger if they did so alongside 3rd party offerings. The PS4 exclusive situation simply doesn't support launching 8 days earlier.

That said, it'd be a major dick move. It's still not happening that early, IMO.

FranXico

Bundles will be released along with the respective games whenever they are scheduled.
Plain PS4s with just the controller included would be available earlier. The only thing which is not clear to me is which games will be available at launch.

Really hope this is true. Gamescom announcement next week I guess.

Crazy thing is that would mean the PS4 launches in about 9 weeks!

tensuke

Either it's the PS4, or a cheaper Vita refresh to boost Vita sales (and possibly to fill a PS4/Vita bundle in the future). Those are my guesses. If it's the PS4, that calls the Watchdogs launch bundle into question, since that game supposedly hits in November (although I think PS4/Xbone dates are still unannounced for it). Could it really be released a month before all other platforms?

Edit: And, I think Battlefield is scheduled for October 29th in NA. Could this also be released a weekish early on PS4? Hmm, I still think the 29th or later is a better bet for PS4, but it would be nice to have it even earlier.

StevieP

Banned
I was hinted at "next gen HD twins come out early November", but that was a few months ago. (i.e. they were making their games to launch early november with the consoles)

Mahonay

Banned
Don't be a pessimist. You'll have BF4 on launch day. Time to get hype.
Hahah hey, I'm getting Playstation Plus on launch day too, so I get some free indie games! They would keep me busy if the situation should arise where I get my copy of BF4 a little later.

Not a huge deal really, although I am absolutely fiending for BF4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Either it's the PS4, or a cheaper Vita refresh to boost Vita sales (and possibly to fill a PS4/Vita bundle in the future). Those are my guesses. If it's the PS4, that calls the Watchdogs launch bundle into question, since that game supposedly hits in November (although I think PS4/Xbone dates are still unannounced for it). Could it really be released a month before all other platforms?
The bundles are made by retailers, they are not an official SKU. You'll get the console when it's released and the game later if it's released after the system. Stuff like BF4, CoD, WD, and AC4's release dates have always been when the console is released or the date announced arrives, whichever comes second.

Nevasleep

Suddenly wonder how postage would work for a Monday release. They'd have to send out the PS4s the Friday and store them over the weekend at local depots. Madness.
In the UK most courier companies now offer collections on a Sunday (for big retailers) with delivery on the Monday.
Also locked containers etc can be used to store them in depots.

Although I think the date was w/c?

Aspiring

Yeah I would LOVE LOVE LOVE and October 21st release date, but I just get worries for the games. What would they do? Regardless I want it!

Vizzeh

Banned
I was popping in to say exactly that. October 21st doesn't really make much sense and their launch would be that much stronger if they did so alongside 3rd party offerings. The PS4 exclusive situation simply doesn't support launching 8 days earlier.

That said, it'd be a major dick move. It's still not happening that early, IMO.

What it DOES do though, is it allows, Killzone to go unchallenged by BF4 and COD, a good game in its own right, but with only so much cash to spend, people prioritize. Same goes for Knack and driveclub.

Allows a week for the SONY owned studios to make cash.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What it DOES do though, is it allows, Killzone to go unchallenged by BF4 and COD, a good game in its own right, but with only so much cash to spend, people prioritize. Same goes for Knack and driveclub.

Isn't this the kind of logic that got Sega in trouble with 3rd parties?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yep, it's a really good idea. It also doesn't make them release too early and have to overly rush the game to make launch. It'll also let the F2P stuff on PS4 get a bit more attention that first week.

I hope I can preorder the PS4 version of BF4 on PSN before launch at some point. I don't usually go digital but for a game that I'll almost exclusively play multiplayer for, I'd rather just have that on my harddrive.

EDIT: Post #50 NOOOO

Top Bottom