• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

How so? i'm still paying full price for both of them.
In the end it's the risk i take of potentially ending up with 2 ps4's when i only need 1.

What risk? Depending where you bought it from you have anywhere from 30 to 90 days to return it for a full refund if you can't sell it. There's no risk.

Damn I might have nothing to play then, none of the launch titles interest me, KIllzone is a toss up depending on the multiplayer.

TheCloser

Banned
What it DOES do though, is it allows, Killzone to go unchallenged by BF4 and COD, a good game in its own right, but with only so much cash to spend, people prioritize. Same goes for Knack and driveclub.

Allows a week for the SONY owned studios to make cash.

I was just about to post this. It'll be just like when the vita was coming out and you could get the week early bundle.

JP

Which region is the source from? It'd be nice if it was true but it may only be for a single region.

RetroStu

Banned
What it DOES do though, is it allows, Killzone to go unchallenged by BF4 and COD, a good game in its own right, but with only so much cash to spend, people prioritize. Same goes for Knack and driveclub.

All those games will get good sales simply because there will be very little new software for the first 6 months to a year so they may not get all their sales within the first month but they will get good sales over the first year or so when people start looking for something new to play.

LastNac

Scalpers. I had my fun with Scalpers once. Back in 2006 through 2009 a local was making bank off of Wiis and Wii Fits. I was at GameStop at the time and he asked me what the next big thing was. I told him Wii Music. He pre-ordered 25 copies and picked them up launch day. Suffice to say I refused to let him return them upon Bomba. No other store in the district did either. He never got his money.

Justice.

delta25

Banned
Seems like the perfect time if you ask me, it gives Sony time to soak up enough of the holiday season as they possibly can.

Came to post this. Makes sense. BF4 will be fine but Killzone, Knack, Drivclub, and the downloadables could really benefit from a week removed from the big 3rd party games.

Muffdraul

Fuck yes. I've been going up the wall wondering when I'd be able to get my hands on the new Killzone. Oct 21 is about a month sooner than I expected.

Please be true, my booty is ready. So so ready.

DNaDe

Neo Member
Makes no sense. People are trying to make it make sense because they can't wait to get their hands on a PS4.

Boss Man

What risk? Depending where you bought it from you have anywhere from 30 to 90 days to return it for a full refund if you can't sell it. There's no risk.
This is the main thing that gets on my nerves about scalpers. Many of them think that they are doing something that actually warrants a profit. You aren't being clever, it's just easier for you to convince yourself that it's alright to take advantage of a situation that everyone who follows video games knows exists.

djshauny

Banned
getting pumped :D :D this thread needs more Kaz gifs though :p

il6Wx5NemvtlV.gif

TriGen

Scalpers. I had my fun with Scalpers once. Back in 2006 through 2009 a local was making bank off of Wiis and Wii Fits. I was at GameStop at the time and he asked me what the next big thing was. I told him Wii Music. He pre-ordered 25 copies and picked them up launch day. Suffice to say I refused to let him return them upon Bomba. No other store in the district did either. He never got his money.

Justice.

Cold blooded.

He must not have been a very informed scalper if he needed to ask what the next big thing would be. 25 copies of Wii Music, Miyamoto thanks you.

Apath

Someone didn't get one because you took 2.

So what? They have had plenty of time to pre-order if they really want one.
This is the main thing that gets on my nerves about scalpers. Many of them think that they are doing something that actually warrants a profit. You aren't being clever, it's just easier for you to convince yourself that it's alright to take advantage of a situation that everyone who follows video games knows exists.
If it didn't warrant profits, there would be none to be had. By having knowledge of the industry, and using that knowledge to secure items that will be in big demand when the demand is not there yet is the heart of investing.

I hope this doesn't mean we get rushed versions of launch games just so Sony can get an upperhand in sales. It would be disappointing if it turns out the XBONE launches later and gives 3rd parties time to tweak their multiplat titles to make the One versions the superior ones. Right out the gate we would be facing a repeat of the 360 v. PS3 multiplat performance problem.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So you guys really think Sony will run the risk of upsetting EA and Ubisoft by sneaking PS4 in a week early just so Killzone and DriveClub can get some extra time in the spotlight? :/

Either Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs will make launch or Sony will move their launch back to accommodate. This assuming there's anything to this rumor in the first place.

Jomjom

Banned
This makes so much sense that I'm really thinking it can't be true. If this is true, Sony really has changed, because I would never believe this of old Sony. They obviously have already manufactured or 110% certain that they are going to be able to manufacture PS4s in large, large quantities, so why not release in October, ahead of Black Friday, ahead of Boxing Day, and also to get all of the buyers for Xmas. Only procrastinators wait until December to start buying Xmas gifts; everyone I know starts buying in October or even earlier.

EDIT: Forgot to mention also most likely ahead of the Xbox One, which is perhaps the most important thing.

I hope this doesn't mean we get rushed versions of launch games just so Sony can get an upperhand in sales. It would be disappointing if it turns out the XBONE launches later and gives 3rd parties time to tweak their multiplat titles to make the One versions the superior ones. Right out the gate we would be facing a repeat of the 360 v. PS3 multiplat performance problem.

Games go gold way before they are shipped to retailers. Unless we're talking about a month+ in release date difference, the main game will be done on both consoles at the same time. At best, the Xbox version might come out at about the time a patch was being released for the initial run of bugs. But, there would inevitably another Xbox specific patch down the road to fix its own specific issues. You're not going to see performance differences because of a few weeks of release discrepancy.

SMZC

So you guys really think Sony will run the risk of upsetting EA and Ubisoft by sneaking PS4 in a week early just so Killzone and DriveClub can get some extra time in the spotlight? :/

Either Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs will make launch or Sony will move their launch back to accommodate. This assuming there's anything to this rumor in the first place.

How would this upset the big publishers? If anything, they would be upset if the console came out after the big third party releases, not before.

Yeah third parties don't have a gun to their head, they can release it when they want.

GameSeeker

Another week, another launch date rumor.

Oct 21st is an awfully early date. I'm sure Sony has the hardware ready to go, but software maturity (the OS, Sony titles, 3rd party titles) is more important. Rushing a launch date without maturity on the software side is a recipe for disaster. Even an extra week or two can make a big difference in the polish of a launch title.

The good news is that launch dates will get cleared up at Gamescom in a week.

vpance

2-3 more weeks eh? Nah, if the games aren't ready to be shipped by early Oct they're in trouble. Post launch bug fixes go in the first patch.

Please, elaborate.

Most of the launch games for both consoles are going to be multi-platform. The 3rd parties are going to want their games bought at the same time to console is. EA/Activision should know the release date by now and they will line up their games accordingly. In addition, both MS and Sony will be advertising hard on the back of BF and CoD. How would getting that additional week of a console out there with no 3rd party games help them?

My bet is that both consoles launch the first week of November. Nov 5th to be exact. Many of the retail outlets may do a staggered pre-order release that day to handle the flood.

Beyond the manufacturing POV, I think this is why we are seeing such a push by both companies to get the pre-orders in. They want to give the retailers the ability to stage the products far in advance.

Who cares about "being clever"? It's about making some extra money...

Artorias

Banned
Most of the launch games for both consoles are going to be multi-platform. The 3rd parties are going to want their games bought at the same time to console is. EA/Activision should know the release date by now and they will line up their games accordingly. In addition, both MS and Sony will be advertising hard on the back of BF and CoD. How would getting that additional week of a console out there with no 3rd party games help them?

My bet is that both consoles launch the first week of November. Nov 5th to be exact. Many of the retail outlets may do a staggered pre-order release that day to handle the flood.

Beyond the manufacturing POV, I think this is why we are seeing such a push by both companies to get the pre-orders in. They want to give the retailers the ability to stage the products far in advance.

...Do you seriously think that if Oct 21st is the release date, we are reading about it before 3rd parties have been informed? Seriously, what on earth are you trying to say?

jayu26

What are you talking about? Third parties cannot force anyone to change their launch day.

Good news if true! I hope Sony get it out there way before xboned. We need Sony to beat anti consumer ms big. It will set a new standard and hopefully companies will be scared to abuse us in the future.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
...Do you seriously think that if Oct 21st is the release date, we are reading about it before 3rd parties have been informed? Seriously, what on earth are you trying to say?

Serious question: do we know that third parties are not informed?

No. That is not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying October 21st isn't the release date. That's the point of my comment.

I would expect both games to be out by the time both consoles release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Sony has more vested interests in their own games than they do third parties'. Sony and third parties are on their own marketing schedule, neither has anything to do with one another. Pretty much all of the first shipment of the PS4 is already accounted for, why not get out as far before the competition as possible, get the system in the hands of preorders and get buzz going, and still have those third party games available on the earliest date possible?

What are you talking about? Third parties cannot force anyone to change their launch day.

No but they can change their own release date. Activision is releasing CoD Ghosts on Nov 5th for all platforms. Activision would not want to miss out on the initial wave if either console releases before that date.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How would this upset the big publishers? If anything, they would be upset if the console came out after the big third party releases, not before.

I'm sure these publishers have spoken to Sony and have deals in place to be ready for launch. Sony and Ubisoft in particular have a co-marketing agreement on ACIV and Watch Dogs. I think it would be a dick move to undercut them in that manner especially for a company that's trying to be developer friendly.

As I said before, I think all of the multiplatform games will be there on launch day, especially considering the current gen street dates (how many times does it have to be stated) are only days away from this rumored launch anyway. The idea that EA won't have Battlefield 4 ready 3 or 4 days earlier is laughable to me.

Top Bottom