• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Serious question: do we know that third parties are not informed?

I think that's the point. Silly double negatives create confusion. 3rd party publishers would probably be in the know if Sony has made a decision (At least the big ones who are releasing games around that time), and they would be acting accordingly, or would have signed off on it, or Sony on the balance would have decided it was the best option even if 3rd parties weren't thrilled.

All the conjecture based on unclear release dates for next-gen games and coming to conclusion on how 3rd parties must feel and whether Sony would care seems a little silly.

As I said before, I think all of the multiplatform games will be there on launch day, especially considering the current gen street dates (how many times does it have to be stated) are only days away from this rumored launch anyway. The idea that EA won't have Battlefield 4 ready 3 or 4 days earlier is laughable to me.

This is also very true. The games will be done. A few weeks one way or the other isn't going to effect that. The decision of whether or not to wait a week or release it earlier on the PS4 would be purely a business decision. The only reason I could think they wouldn't release it earlier for PS4 would be that they don't want to piss of MS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sure these publishers have spoken to Sony and have deals in place to be ready for launch. Sony and Ubisoft in particular have a co-marketing agreement on ACIV and Watch Dogs. I think it would be a dick move to undercut them in that manner especially for a company that's trying to be developer friendly.

As I said before, I think all of the multiplatform games will be there on launch day, especially considering the current gen street dates (how many times does it have to stated) are only days away from this rumored launch anyway. The idea that EA won't have Battlefield 4 ready 3 or 4 days earlier is laughable to me.

They'll want to market their game as one specific launch day, not one date for one version and another for the others.

DBT85

Most of the launch games for both consoles are going to be multi-platform. The 3rd parties are going to want their games bought at the same time to console is. EA/Activision should know the release date by now and they will line up their games accordingly. In addition, both MS and Sony will be advertising hard on the back of BF and CoD. How would getting that additional week of a console out there with no 3rd party games help them?

My bet is that both consoles launch the first week of November. Nov 5th to be exact. Many of the retail outlets may do a staggered pre-order release that day to handle the flood.

Beyond the manufacturing POV, I think this is why we are seeing such a push by both companies to get the pre-orders in. They want to give the retailers the ability to stage the products far in advance.

I strongly doubt both will launch in the same week let alone the same day.

Sony has more vested interests in their own games than they do third parties'. Sony and third parties are on their own marketing schedule, neither has anything to do with one another. Pretty much all of the first shipment of the PS4 is already accounted for, why not get out as far before the competition as possible, get the system in the hands of preorders and get buzz going, and still have those third party games available on the earliest date possible?

The reason I do not believe that will happen is because they want to leverage the success and marketability of those franchises to coincide with the launch. Releasing far before they are out creates a dearth of reviewable games and hype for both sides. The biggest sellers this fall for both consoles will be these two games. Having a two week window with only the smattering of 1st Party releases is fairly anticlimactic for each side.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They'll want to market their game as one specific launch day, not one date for one version and another for the others.

Then why have they already stated current gen on this day and next gen when available? The possibility of PS4 launching in October was thrown out there at E3 so this is not a surprise if true.

Boss Man

So what? They have had plenty of time to pre-order if they really want one.

If it didn't warrant profits, there would be none to be had. By having knowledge of the industry, and using that knowledge to secure items that will be in big demand when the demand is not there yet is the heart of investing.
You're making money on the fact that retail doesn't act like an auction when supply is limited. It's more of an exploit than an investment. Like I said, this is the part that irks me about scalpers. Don't call yourself an investor because you're scalping a game console. Hell, you don't even have to pay for it until you get it and by then you know whether or not you actually want to try and sell it. There's absolutely zero risk involved, and everyone who follows video games knows that this is a cheap way to make a quick buck. If you don't have any qualms with doing it then fine, but don't act like you've got some great idea or actually deserve the reward.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The reason I do not believe that will happen is because they want to leverage the success and marketability of those franchises to coincide with the launch. Releasing far before they are out creates a dearth of reviewable games and hype for both sides. The biggest sellers this fall for both consoles will be these two games. Having a two week window with only the smattering of 1st Party releases is fairly anticlimactic for each side.

Most of the people buying the PS4 versions of those games already have them preordered and Sony wants more attention for their console and their games.

Then why have they already stated current gen on this day and next gen when available? The possibility of PS4 launching in October was thrown out there at E3 so this is not a surprise if true.
Because third parties have no control over the console release dates. It's either the date specified or the console release, whichever comes later. Having another platform out when the game comes out is not something any third party will be upset about.

Radec

No. That is not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying October 21st isn't the release date. That's the point of my comment.

I would expect both games to be out by the time both consoles release.

Releasing the PS4 1-2 weeks in advance of 3rd party games before release is pretty smart.

It gives the exclusive launch titles some room to sell good. Also gives 3rd party a decent amount of userbase when their game hits.

Day one PS4 buyers will want games to be played in their new console. They will dive in on available games even if they dont initially planned to.

Well, theoretically to cover a release date that would be later that the current gen versions.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think that's the point. Silly double negatives create confusion. 3rd party publishers would probably be in the know if Sony has made a decision (At least the big ones who are releasing games around that time), and they would be acting accordingly, or would have signed off on it, or Sony on the balance would have decided it was the best option even if 3rd parties weren't thrilled.

All the conjecture based on unclear release dates for next-gen games and coming to conclusion on how 3rd parties must feel and whether Sony would care seems a little silly.

Agreed. At this point it's Sony's job to do whatever necessary to build the biggest customer base. Third part my will react to who has the install base, not an issue how third party reacts to an early release.

The way I see it, the biggest issue with early release could be a weak launch line up on release day. That in itself may actually not be an issue if the games are ready.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Releasing the PS4 1-2 weeks in advance of 3rd party games before release is pretty smart.

It gives the exclusive launch titles some room to sell good. Also gives 3rd party a decent amount of userbase when their game hits.

Day one PS4 buyers will want games to be played in their new console. They will dive in on available games even if they dont initially planned to.

There's not going to be any difference in userbase between Day 1 and 7.

sajj316

Most of the people buying the PS4 versions of those games already have them preordered.

Agreed but how many of those third parrty preorders would get cancelled if they purchased Killzone and DriveClub as impulse buys ... just for being there Oct 21st.

If Sony launches the system earlier before the "BIG FLASGSHIP" games like BF3, COD: Ghosts, Assassins Creed 4, etc. come out, they can sell more of their own 1st party games because people will want something to play on PS4 day 1.

Sounds like solid logic here.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yes there is.

You just have to do the math.

iby52XIiTzv1FT.png

If Sony launches the system earlier before the "BIG FLASGSHIP" games like BF3, COD: Ghosts, Assassins Creed 4, etc. come out, they can sell more of their own 1st party games because people will want something to play on PS4 day 1.

Looking back, CoD 3 was out a week before PS3 became available and Sony still had the same perspective on 1st party games then.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Agreed but how many of those third parrty preorders would get cancelled if they purchased Killzone and DriveClub as impulse buys ... just for being there Oct 21st.

People are more likely to just suck it up and splurge on one of those games instead of cancelling preorders. I also don't see many people buying DriveClub at retail since there is the PS+ edition and you can upgrade to the full version for a discount.

The way I see it, the biggest issue with early release could be a weak launch line up on release day. That in itself may actually not be an issue if the games are ready.

I'm not sure I agree though. I feel like anyone pre-ordering a console ought to have a long view opinion on said console. While some of the third parties would certainly add value to the launch lineup, if you're a person who intends to play BF4 or Watch_Dogs on your PS4 when the games come out, whether its on the day the PS4 comes out or a week later, you'll have to have pre-ordered the system.

I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of stock sitting on shelves that people are going to be able to walk into a store and say, "Well, I'd pick up this system, but the games just aren't there right now. I'll wait until next week/ or Must be a shit system." People buying now, or at least that first week are the people looking to be part of the system for the long haul. The customer who is just looking to walk into a store and pick up a system for BF4 probably won't be able to find one until well after BF4 has released.

Those are just my thoughts though. I've heard that in some countries supply is rarely an issue, but here in the US, this is my prediction.

Yes there is.

You just have to do the math.

I think the implication is that if you don't get one on day 1, you're not going to be able to find one between day 1-7. Supply will be very constrained at that time.

Xenex

People are more likely to just suck it up and splurge on one of those games instead of cancelling preorders. I also don't see many people buying DriveClub at retail since there is the PS+ edition and you can upgrade to the full version for a discount.

I bet a lot of people won't even realise and pickup DriveClub anyway.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If the PS4's supply is as abundant as rumors have suggested, there may very well be a significant difference.

Day 1 and 7 are more than likely from the same shipment. Stores are not going to be restocked that soon.

And this scenario of boosting the 1st party lineup only benefits Killzone. Nobody is picking up Knack because they have to wait a week for ACIV.

Darklor01

I'm not sure I agree though. I feel like anyone pre-ordering a console ought to have a long view opinion on said console. While some of the third parties would certainly add value to the launch lineup, if you're a person who intends to play BF4 or Watch_Dogs on your PS4 when the games come out, whether its on the day the PS4 comes out or a week later, you'll have to have pre-ordered the system.

I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of stock sitting on shelves that people are going to be able to walk into a store and say, "Well, I'd pick up this system, but the games just aren't there right now. I'll wait until next week/ or Must be a shit system." People buying now, or at least that first week are the people looking to be part of the system for the long haul. The customer who is just looking to walk into a store and pick up a system for BF4 probably won't be able to find one until well after BF4 has released.

I didn't mean that. I meant the possible initial reaction where media jumps and states stupid stories about how weak the title line up could be for day 1. Yknow, the inevitable initial over reaction.

Day 1 and 7 are more than likely from the same shipment. Stores are not going to be restocked that soon.

And this scenario of boosting the 1st party lineup only benefits Killzone. Nobody is picking up Knack because they have to wait a week for ACIV.

I don't know about that. WE've heard a lot of reports that Sony plans to have a LOT of PS4's available at launch and will be keeping the supply coming.

IT could be a lot of smoke, but you never know.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Its even a mirable the PS4 is even being released at all this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

The console has already been approved for consumers by the FCC. We've heard lots of reports that production is going well. It's coming this year.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'm so psyched for the PS4 launch, lets just hope there's not massive time differences between the US/Japan launch and the EU/UK/Aus/NZ launches because I want my console, and I want it yesterday.

I didn't mean that. I meant the possible initial reaction where media jumps and states stupid stories about how weak the title line up could be for day 1. Yknow, the inevitable initial over reaction.

Ah, that makes more sense. Yeah, I could see that. I could see it happening regardless though, even if it is after 3rd party releases.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't know about that. WE've heard a lot of reports that Sony plans to have a LOT of PS4's available at launch and will be keeping the supply coming.

IT could be a lot of smoke, but you never know.

I wish them luck but I've never seen a console launch where even people with preorders didn't get burned. Hell, I even got burned on a Wii U preorder. WII U for petes sake!

Seeing as they've caught MS out and pulled the rug from underneath them at any given opportunity this year... this date would be consistent with that tactic ..

whoO!

Aspiring

Yeah I think the devs and publishers must know though. And no matter what some games will either be released early or miss launch. I just see either Sony or Microsoft waiting until Watch Dogs just to have it for launch. More likely it will be pushed forward a little which should not matter or a few weeks after launch. Either way someone is going to have to miss out or publishers suck it up and release early. I hope it's the latter.

Darklor01

Ah, that makes more sense. Yeah, I could see that. I could see it happening regardless though, even if it is after 3rd party releases.

Lol. I have to agree. It's not like there has been an overreaction to just about everything said these last months.

I wish I knew how many systems would be available outside of preorders. If there were a lot, releasing early would help. Those on the fence might grab the first system available. Scampers would buy up a bunch. Hype would get buyers.

If all are actually pre sold out, it doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

I wish them luck but I've never seen a console launch where even people with preorders didn't get burned. Hell, I even got burned on a Wii U preorder. WII U for petes sake!

Took me weeks to find one. Granted, after I found one, I don't think they sold a whole lot more, but still, initial supply is always short. I don't know where people are developing this fantasy that somehow this launch will be different.

I wish I knew how many systems would be available outside of preorders. If there were a lot, releasing early would help. Those on the fence might grab the first system available. Scampers would buy up a bunch. Hype would get buyers.

If all are actually pre sold out, it doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

Yeah, it's always an unknown I guess, but I'm betting that the US will have very short supply, as has been the case in the past. I don't think a lot of fence sitters will have the opportunity to pick up a PS4 just because it launched early. But who knows? Maybe Sony really has a prodigious supply chain. I wouldn't bet on it.

Rat Salad

Banned
Why?

Everything thus far points to the PS4 being in development far longer than the X1

Just the usual stuff. Making very sure you don't ship a product without checking eveything is on the up and up. Such as ironing out buggy or very rushed software, being very sure the hardware is very stable(no defects such as RROD) and making sure retailers are prepared with moving up the launch. I'm surprised both PS4 and X1 are releasing this year(though I'm happy they are,next gen finally!) But still abit shocked theyre almost here and releasing,especially with GTA5 starring them both in the face.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah I think the devs and publishers must know though. And no matter what some games will either be released early or miss launch. I just see either Sony or Microsoft waiting until Watch Dogs just to have it for launch. More likely it will be pushed forward a little which should not matter or a few weeks after launch. Either way someone is going to have to miss out or publishers suck it up and release early. I hope it's the latter.

I don't see Watch_Dogs coming out any earlier than it's late November date. It would be way too close to AC4 if it was (and I already think it is).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Took me weeks to find one. Granted, after I found one, I don't think they sold a whole lot more, but still, initial supply is always short. I don't know where people are developing this fantasy that somehow this launch will be different.

Yeah, it's always an unknown I guess, but I'm betting that the US will have very short supply, as has been the case in the past. I don't think a lot of fence sitters will have the opportunity to pick up a PS4 just because it launched early. But who knows? Maybe Sony really has a prodigious supply chain. I wouldn't bet on it.

Yeah, when you hear stories about Gamestop stores having taken ~60 preorders a piece, Amazon quickly separating launch day units from standard units and even stores like Walmart and Target getting in the preorder business, I'm not seeing where this extra supply is coming from. You're not going to see a PS4 or Xbox One on shelves until 2014. Preorders are ALWAYS oversold.

Darklor01

....... only to be shortly followed by a MS reversal and new Xbox One launch date of October 20th! ;)

Lol. I think you're kidding around but...

MS stating November as a launch month gave Sony the opportunity to try everything to get out there first.

If MS rush to launch, they could be cutting short of available systems for launch, and possibly failing to deliver on pre orders. I'm sure everyone would have a field day with that.

FaintDeftone

I would LOVE for the PS4 to come out in October since my extra November cash is normally spent on Christmas presents. I would have more money to spend on the launch if so.

The thing is, I believe Watch Dogs is a November title and it is suppose to be a launch title. Would they hold off the launch of those November releases if the console comes out in October?

Aspiring

I don't see Watch_Dogs coming out any earlier than it's late November date. It would be way too close to AC4 if it was (and I already think it is).

Yeah very true. But that's what I mean, no matter what the date, someone is going to have to miss out. It's actually very confusing trying to guess what publishers will do, and in the end it will be up to them. If it does release October 21, what will be released, just Sony first party? Will AC4 be a week early? CoD? Who knows. If Sony hold off until after, than their is Watch Dogs late November, do they wait for that? Can't have everything, although I think Sony will have made some deals to have some at launch. And than it at least gets a new game every week, after launch. Who knows, but Gamescom will be interesting to see what will make it and the actual date. I don't think retailers would want it November 5. Imagine the shit storm in shops as you get the CoD people and the launch people in it would be utter chaos. So I think this is probably better a day. Either way I want it really bad, and as someone who is importing from the US, it also skips holidays over there so I know my package won't get held up lol.

I would LOVE for the PS4 to come out in October since my extra November cash is normally spent on Christmas presents. I would have more money to spend on the launch if so.

The thing is, I believe Watch Dogs is a November title and it is suppose to be a launch title. Would they hold off the launch of those November releases if the console comes out in October?

Dude, "launch title" does NOT mean the same thing it used to. A title can come out a month or even months after day 1 and stiull be launch.

A week or two is negligible.

I personally don't think the launch day release of games matters that much, with such a small lineup of games people will be anxious for games and buy even crap near launch. Not to mention most if not all the games are multi generational so that companies are really relying on the old generation sales rather then the next gen for the first batch of games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dude, "launch title" does NOT mean the same thing it used to. A title can come out a month or even months after day 1 and stiull be launch.

A week or two is negligible.

Launch day and launch window are separate terms. These games have been stated as launch day games.

Top Bottom