• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzla

Maybe by the end of the week I hope!

I know a lot of people have been complaining about the screen. It's my first real smartphone (I had an old blackberry but besides checking my emails, there wasn't anything smart about it) and I don't want to believe that the screen is such a huge problem. I mean, it might not be the best but does it really bring problems for anyone?

I would also like to hear something about the battery. Can any owner give me an estimate of the running time of it? Can it last a full day? On some reviews I read that it can go beyond a day. On others, barely 7h...

Edited:
Didn't read post above^Thanks!

mine is off the charger at about 6am each day and when I get home at about 6 it is at about 25-30%. That's worse than my iPhone 5 which would be at about 60% in the same use case. Push email all day (Gmail and exchange), IM / iMessage, around 20-30 mins of browsing and around 60 mins of podcasts / music.

Dazzla

Screen on time is what really kills this. You'll get around 3-4 hours screen on time until it dies.

The screen is nice but I'm not sure the power drain is worth the trade off vs a 720p screen.

It's all about optimization. Sony has always been questionable when it came to that. Look at the Droid DNA for instance, notable smaller battery yet to everyone's surprise ended up having pretty decent battery life as reported by most outlets.

Sony is doing something in their OS that is causing more battery drain than other phones with the same battery or slightly smaller.

Akira

gsmarena_002.jpg

As you would expect from with an ample battery like that, the stand-by performance of the Sony Xperia Z is quite good and helped it to a pretty good final endurance rating of 48h. Unsurprisingly, the Sony Xperia Z can last ages when the screen is not active (in-call and stand-by), but the display is quite power-hungry. Still, according to our result you will only need to charge your smartphone every 48 hours if you do an hour of each of the three tested activities each day, which is quite good.

The stand-by test was performed with Stamina Mode disabled, so if you enable it there is a chance you can squeeze a few more hours out of your Xperia Z.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperia-z-battery-test-is-ready-here-come-the-scores/

Castcoder

Banned
I'm already using two batteries daily on my Samsung Nexus S. I disconnect my charger at 7AM and it lasts until 3:00PM, sometimes 5:00PM if I'm lucky. Then I swap the next battery in. I usually put my phone into the charger at about 40% or less, at night.

I was hoping the Xperia Z or ZL would be a good replacement if I'm having battery troubles with my current phone, but now that I'm reading there are battery problems with the Xperia Z/ZL, I'm questioning if I should get it or not. Not having an option for a second battery doesn't help, either. I was really excited for this phone, too...

I can't upgrade until April 1st, so maybe the Galaxy S IV will be an option for me.

Knight77

Two questions...

1) What about an Official Topic Xperia Z / ZL ?

2) Until now everytime I got an Android phone one of the first thing has been root it, this time I am still thinking about it. What about you? Did you unlock the BL and rooted the phone?
If yes, which Rom are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom