• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I was going to pick one up to replace my Desire HD but since reading about how the JDI panels are better I may just hold off for a while and deal with my current phone for the time being.

I don't mind the different processors but since I will be using this phone for a few years, I want the best display that I can get.

guys... how does Samsung get away with straight up just not locking the bootloader down in the first place on carrier branded devices? i mean, except for with Verizon, and that shit was cracked pretty fast anyway..

Mokubba

The phone is coming out tomorrow and ASDA have not said a word while everyone else has had their phones dispatched. Anyone in the same boat.

Wads

Banned
guys... how does Samsung get away with straight up just not locking the bootloader down in the first place on carrier branded devices? i mean, except for with Verizon, and that shit was cracked pretty fast anyway..

not sure but this pretty much seals the deal on not getting this phone for me. i dont want to unlock and void the warranty so ill just skip ths phone altogther. guese ill get the note 2 or nexus since my htc amaze is on its last legs...

not sure but this pretty much seals the deal on not getting this phone for me. i dont want to unlock and void the warranty so ill just skip ths phone altogther. guese ill get the note 2 or nexus since my htc amaze is on its last legs...

but that's still a warranty violation on either of those alternates you listed, it's just that unlike using an official Sony unlock, they can't necessarily prove it.

Wads

Banned
the bootloaders arent locked to begin with. how is that a warranty violation? anyway my problem is that the warranty is voided without necessarily diing anything.most of the time i just want soff so i can get rid of the bloat...not necessarily flash custom roms.at least not immediately anyway.

the bootloaders arent locked to begin with. how is that a warranty violation? anyway my problem is that the warranty is voided without necessarily diing anything.most of the time i just want soff so i can get rid of the bloat...not necessarily flash custom roms.at least not immediately anyway.

the bootloader is technically locked on Nexus devices, its just that you can use a simple command to unlock (and relock) them. no jumping thru hoops on some manufacturer website or whatnot.

the Note 2 may not be locked down (except Verizon version) but the device has a flash counter and the stock kernel has a script that checks and flashes the stock recovery if it's been changed.

basically, they both do just a little bit more than the bare minimum to protect the integrity of the device while still leaving things open enough for people who want to easily reflash their device.

and sure, you can return a device to stock, including using stuff like TriangleAway to reset the flash counter, but technically, the warranty was broken, it's just that they can't prove it unless you really fuck up.

which is way way way better than what Sony, HTC and others are doing, so yeah. people love that. <3 ODIN

Kogepan

Just waiting on mine it has been dispatched.

WOOP WOOP

Just got mine, I'm in HK.

Previously used a Galaxy Nexus.

The screen is NICE, definitely much better than the AMOLED Nexus.
And the 1080p resolution is amazing, especially for browsing the web. No more mobile versions of webpages and I don't even need to zoom for the most part. Too bad chrome doesn't support flash.

Anyways, TERRIFIC phone. The Sony veneer is very light compared to Touchwiz ( i also owned a S2) and the stuff that is there is quite useful.

I also dunked it in water, and it came out none the worse for wear.

And the 1080p resolution is amazing, especially for browsing the web. No more mobile versions of webpages and I don't even need to zoom for the most part. Too bad chrome doesn't support flash.

Anyways, TERRIFIC phone. The Sony veneer is very light compared to Touchwiz ( i also owned a S2) and the stuff that is there is quite useful.

First thing you should do is download Dolphin HD browser, it is 100x better than Chrome on Android.

That's good advice for anyone using Xperia running JB since Sony got rid of the stock browser.

Mario007

First thing you should do is download Dolphin HD browser, it is 100x better than Chrome on Android.

That's good advice for anyone using Xperia running JB since Sony got rid of the stock browser.

Man I'd love to do that since Chrome is seriously slow on my Arc S or Transformer but the ability to sync it with my laptop and open a tab on the Arc S and then have it opened in Transformer or my laptop is just so damn convenient.

Fezan

Can you tell me about the bulk black level of the screen and general quality and also regarding camera

C670x - 4.8" FHD, 2GB, IP57, ZL size, 13MP, SD600. Replaces Z/ZL end Q2.

Z/ZL will not be getting SD600 now. Sony are shifting to a whole new SKU for it and unifying the size/waterproofness of ZL and Z into one device. Honestly this is what they should have launched at CES.

Mario007

Z/ZL will not be getting SD600 now. Sony are shifting to a whole new SKU for it and unifying the size/waterproofness of ZL and Z into one device. Honestly this is what they should have launched at CES.
Yeah it seems kinda of an odd strategy. I get that they wanted to beat the GS4 to the punch but it's still very odd. Many people are hyped for Z, plus with all the marketing Sony is doing for it any hype this new phone, probably Xperia X, will get will be gone or diminished. Also it'll launch closely to the phablet too. I honestly thought they should have done an Arc S update during the autumn and call it a day for the flagships this year. You'd have to wonder who came up with this strategy and how did it seem reasonable to the management.

JonnyBrad

So basically best bits of z and zl.

Honestly that's HTC levels of fail. 1 year one flagship.

It makes the launch of the dual flagship seem even more crazy IMO. I will prob sit this one out now as I ideally wanted a ZL but its more of a hastle to get in the UK compared to a Z.

Edit: when does Sonys Q2 start?

Mokubba

Got mine today but my sim card doesn't work now after cutting it to become a microsim so i have to wait for one to arrive on wednesday lol.

Would I be able to transfer my number from a pay as you sim to a contract sim?

jey_16

Banned

Well I'm out then....if Samsung go plastic again for the s4 then I'll be jumping on the the HTC One, I'm not going to buy the Z if its going to be replaced so soon

tino

Banned

People won't think this is a upgraded Z, they will think this is the "HTC One fighter".

catmincer

so if i get the z/zl will i face the product no longer getting andriod support?

Sony are apparently going to be better with updates for older phones.......

However, based on my S experience I would be a bit iffy about buying another Sony phone until they can show timely updates are going to happen.

Well I'm out then....if Samsung go plastic again for the s4 then I'll be jumping on the the HTC One, I'm not going to buy the Z if its going to be replaced so soon

If you go by "replaced soon" you might never buy a phone since succesors to most phones out in your "soon" range.

jey_16

Banned
If you go by "replaced soon" you might never buy a phone since succesors to most phones out in your "soon" range.

Samsung refresh the galaxy s once a year so you know if you buy it April, it's not going to be replaced in a few months. I have no idea what Sony is doing now, it doesn't inspire confidence though

Samsung refresh the galaxy s once a year so you know if you buy it April, it's not going to be replaced in a few months. I have no idea what Sony is doing now, it doesn't inspire confidence though

HTC One X, replaced by One X+
Galaxy SIII, "replaced" by Note II
Xperia T, "replaced" by Xperia V (at least here)

Like it or not, an upgraded version if not a succesor will launch months after the launch of a flagship. See this new Xperia as Xperia Z+.

Question out of curiosity, does the screen respond to touch accordingly when it's whet? My current non-waterproof phone goes all spastic when theres some condensation on the screen or my finger is wet.

SxP

My white Z just arrived. But my contract at my new provider starts next friday and I don't have a micro sim cutter for my old sim card right now. So that kinda sucks, lol.

antispin

This phone has a big wow factor... big improvement over my old galaxy s3...

Very happy so far!

Can you please elaborate on how it improves over the S3? Thanks!

Question out of curiosity, does the screen respond to touch accordingly when it's whet? My current non-waterproof phone goes all spastic when theres some condensation on the screen or my finger is wet.

Pretty sure this one will spaz out too.

Linius

Held my phone under the tap with the water flowing and tryed to unlock the screen but that didn't worked well (as you might expect). But when I stopped the water and the phone was just wet (as were my fingers) I managed to unlock the screen, start Bike Race and do a level. No problem.

Like it or not, an upgraded version if not a succesor will launch months after the launch of a flagship. See this new Xperia as Xperia Z+.

most people don't see the Note as a replacement, and it's not even a consideration for some people. just like many Note II owners don't see the upcoming GS4 as a replacement.

Linius

most people don't see the Note as a replacement, and it's not even a consideration for some people. just like many Note II owners don't see the upcoming GS4 as a replacement.

Yeah, Note is just a different line of phones. I see like low budget > mid tier > high end > phablet (Note).

Four different categories of phones.

Mokubba

My white Z just arrived. But my contract at my new provider starts next friday and I don't have a micro sim cutter for my old sim card right now. So that kinda sucks, lol.

Same boat as you only that i damaged my sim while trying to make it a microsim so I'm playing the waiting game. I hope i can transfer my old number to my contract sim.

The phone is just stunning.

SxP

Same boat as you only that i damaged my sim while trying to make it a microsim so I'm playing the waiting game. I hope i can transfer my old number to my contract sim.

The phone is just stunning.

So, I tried cutting my old sim card with some scissors after searching on the internet. Didn't damage the chip, but the Z still wouldn't recognize it for some reason. Thought I was boned because my old phone needs a mini sim, but I managed to somehow put the "micro simmed" original card just right in my old phone, which actually worked. So I guess I'm walking with two phones for a week.

jey_16

Banned

Wouldn't really classify the Note 2 replacing the S3, completely different line of phones. Will give you the one x plus though, atleast there was a fairly substantial gap between the two models (one x announced in feb while the one x+ was announced in Ocotber)

Detox

So I noticed it came with screen protectors for the front and back, if I want to avoid scratches are these necessary or just extra precaution?

Mario007

Wouldn't really classify the Note 2 replacing the S3, completely different line of phones. Will give you the one x plus though, atleast there was a fairly substantial gap between the two models (one x announced in feb while the one x+ was announced in Ocotber)

How do you know there won't be a substantial gap this time? We've had Yuga and Odin rumoured basically since T launched.

Also HTC went from One X to X+ to DNA/Butterfly.

Sammy and Apple are the only ones sticking with 1 flagship a year model.

Yeah it seems kinda of an odd strategy. I get that they wanted to beat the GS4 to the punch but it's still very odd. Many people are hyped for Z, plus with all the marketing Sony is doing for it any hype this new phone, probably Xperia X, will get will be gone or diminished. Also it'll launch closely to the phablet too. I honestly thought they should have done an Arc S update during the autumn and call it a day for the flagships this year. You'd have to wonder who came up with this strategy and how did it seem reasonable to the management.

It is a weird strategy for sure.

It will be weird to have three flagship phones all covering the same ground on the market all at once, but that's where we're headed. I wasn't very clear when I said replaces, I actually meant replaces for marketing and promotional purposes. The Z/ZL will still be on the market.

Sony's strategy has been all over the place this year, but they are all talking about one flagship per year for 2014 so maybe this is just the final time that Sony will pursue such an idiotic strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom