• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

it's all part of the sony smartphone experience.

God, this is frustrating. A phone that I had for just two months broke down after being carelessly dropped too many times and here I am waiting for any information regarding the NA release to decide what phone I should get while holding out for the Z.

Oh and you can pull down notifications on the lock screen so GSM arena weren't being very thorough.

Will be buying when I'm home from Berlin.

I tried the xz a few weeks ago and the pull down notification bar could not be pulled down from the lock screen. Maybe new firmware has enabled the feature.

Radec

So the Z and ZL will be coming here at our country in April. Roughly $800. But I can only sell my Note 2 for like $500.

Fuck.

Fezan

So whats the final conclusion of reviewers on screen. Dnt care for veiwing angle just the actual qulity. Sime are saying its best others ate saying its average and some are commenting its really bad.
If anyone has bought it would like to comment.
Hopefuly its not like xperia t case where some batch have bad screen some have great

vivftp

Anyone want to comment on the rumor that the ZL will launch (at least in Canada) with s600 processor? Hope they're still on track to have it out by April

tino

Banned
Anyone want to comment on the rumor that the ZL will launch (at least in Canada) with s600 processor? Hope they're still on track to have it out by April

After HTC use its share of s600 on the One, Qualcomm will let Sony buy the remaining s600.

Fezan

gsmarena_005.jpg

new batch of screen have better contrast ratio and blacks ?

Just got an update from my SMC US contact, nothing with 100% confirmation yet, but it looks like:

Xperia Z - T-Mobile in April, should come with the JDI panel and SD600 rather than Sharp and APQ8064 like EU/Asia.
Xperia ZL - Offline $599, possibly on Sprint in early June.

AT&T have decided to go with whatever Sony are cooking up in 2H, I think the phablet and the Xperia T successor.

Mario007

Just got an update from my SMC US contact, nothing with 100% confirmation yet, but it looks like:

Xperia Z - T-Mobile in April, should come with the JDI panel and SD600 rather than Sharp and APQ8064 like EU/Asia.

AT&T have decided to go with whatever Sony are cooking up in 2H, I think the phablet and the Xperia T successor.
Thanks, that's good news. Do you know if the T successor is going to be as different as T was from S or will it be an S-> SL or Arc ->Arc S type upgrade.

So, basically, the EU gets the inferior version? A nice thank you for the only market that ever supported Sony.

Kiraly

Will the ZL come with JDI and S600 in Europe? Amazon.de has the phone already for €579 and no release date known, I believe.

vivftp

So, basically, the EU gets the inferior version? A nice thank you for the only market that ever supported Sony.

EU is getting the phones months before North America too. Considering the S4 pro is due to be discontinued, EU should eventually be getting phones with S600 too.

It's already on sale in Europe and Asia, remember that fact, it's not on sale anywhere in NA. That was always the trade off. Anyway, it's not that different, it's a 5-10% IPC improvement and Sony are going to limit SD600 to 1.5GHz so that's all it will be, it still requires MDM9615 to function just like before.

I'm not even sure that Sony will say it is SD600, they will probably call it APQ8064(T) to further minimise the differences.

Thanks, that's good news. Do you know if the T successor is going to be as different as T was from S or will it be an S-> SL or Arc ->Arc S type upgrade.

I literally have no idea. I have heard both versions. That it is a brand new design with SD800/4GB and a big upgrade with a new screen and all that, and I have also heard that it is a basic upgrade to Z/ZL with an underclocked SD800 and 2GB possibly with a new screen but using the same designs.

My money would be on the former, though I have been assured by a lot of people that this is the final dual flagship year for SMC, and from 2014 it will be one flagship and one phablet per year around 3-4 months apart leveraging the same hardware platforms. Phablet first, then phone later away from the Galaxy flagship launch, closer to Q4.

The scenario I have heard:

Q3 2013 - T successor (new flagship device), Phablet
Q1 2014 - Phablet upgrade
Q3 2014 - Flagship upgrade

And from then Sony would use that release cadence with a couple of mid rangers per year.

Well I wasn't expecting it on Sprint at all so that's good news if true, sucks about June though as my upgrade is available in April, but unless the SG4 is amazing I'll wait and get the ZL.

Mario007

I literally have no idea. I have heard both versions. That it is a brand new design with SD800/4GB and a big upgrade with a new screen and all that, and I have also heard that it is a basic upgrade to Z/ZL with an underclocked SD800 and 2GB possibly with a new screen but using the same designs.

My money would be on the former, though I have been assured by a lot of people that this is the final dual flagship year for SMC, and from 2014 it will be one flagship and one phablet per year around 3-4 months apart leveraging the same hardware platforms. Phablet first, then phone later away from the Galaxy flagship launch, closer to Q4.

The scenario I have heard:

Q3 2013 - T successor (new flagship device), Phablet
Q1 2014 - Phablet upgrade
Q3 2014 - Flagship upgrade

And from then Sony would use that release cadence with a couple of mid rangers per year.
Coolio, cheers for that. Glad they realised that having 2 flagships a year is stupid.

Jeels

If its on Sprint, does that mean I won't be able to buy a sim card version? (Tmobile)

If its on Sprint, does that mean I won't be able to buy a sim card version? (Tmobile)

No, you can just get the offline version from Sony in March when it comes out.

So what screens will the ZLs have when it releases in Canada?

No idea. You better sign up for the panel lottery!

I have heard that all ZL have JDI, but it's not 100%, so I can't say for sure.

@zomgbbqftw is it true?
and if so why Firefox OS and not Windows OS?

It's true, but as I mentioned above:

"As for FF OS, I have heard that exact same line about WP and WebOS in the past from Sony, expect it t amount to nothing."

It will come to nought. If something does come of it then it will be low end devices destined for Africa, and South Asia.

Le-mo

I dont know if its good news for me or not. I just signed a two year contract with tmobile yesterday and got a nexus 4. I don't want to upgrade in two months. spent too much money lately.

Marco1

I really want to sell my ip5 and buy the Z but why oh why doesn't android have all of the apps that iOS has?
Until android can match the iOS App Store for quality and consistency I can never see myself jumping ship.

Mokubba

Not too bothered about the processor but what's the difference between the screens?

Do you also think there's a chance of the tablet Z getting an update as well?

Marco1

Just found out that photosphere is not and won't be coming to the Z.
It appears to be only on the nexus phones. This is what I hate about android.

Mario007

Are you sure? Because Z is jellybean 4.1 wheras Photosphere is 4.2. Plus sony had the panorama sweep mode before Google so I'd assume they'll work on something similar for their 4.2 release if Google doesn't provide it.

Averon

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/26/us-mobile-world-sony-idUSBRE91P0GP20130226

"We have seen really good pre-orders", McDougall said in an interview at the Mobile World Congress. "We had the first stocks available in Germany in Berlin at the Sony store and sold those out in two hours.
"In France, we sold more in one day in our online store than we sold in 12 weeks in mobile devices."

"It (the Xperia smartphone) sold over 150,000 units in its first week in Japan, taking a 24 percent market share straight away." McDougall said. "It may be a bit too early to say but the first signs a very positive."

The Z seems to be off to a very good.

strangely enough, i have the stock 4.2 Camera with Photosphere on my Galaxy Note II. (requires custom recovery)

samsung is rumoured to have their own which they claim will be better than photosphere called Samsung Orb.

and LG has their own version of it called VR Panorama on the Optimus G Pro.

O2 Ireland delivered my Z today but since I'd found out it had a Locked down Bootloader I sent it back. Another guy in work kept his though so I'm jealous :/. Gotta wait for Amazon to ship my new one.

Wouldn't of been happy not being able to easily flash Custom Roms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom