• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for the review for the ZL... that'll be a good one. I just hope that Sony can pump out an incredible screen for the next phone. They seem to be taking a lighter approach to it than say, HTC, and that is disappointing.

Also, that Engadget review also mentioned the black level being more of a dark grey... I've seen the pictures and video of it being some really deep black (and people that have used it here) but they again mention dark grey. What is it?

Mario007

I can't wait for the review for the ZL... that'll be a good one. I just hope that Sony can pump out an incredible screen for the next phone. They seem to be taking a lighter approach to it than say, HTC, and that is disappointing.

Also, that Engadget review also mentioned the black level being more of a dark grey... I've seen the pictures and video of it being some really deep black (and people that have used it here) but they again mention dark grey. What is it?
The OS buttons background is light grey instead of dark black.

Mokubba

Battery life impressions from places are BOGGING ME DOWN YO. It used to be 70/30 for the ZL vs the S4 but now it's more like 50/50.

What is an acceptable time for these battery life tests? I don't have a smartphone so I can't compare.

The v3 review says
Doing a battery burn test by constantly looping videos over Netflix while connected to a Wi-Fi network the Z lasted a pitiful five hours on our first test and a still disappointing six and a half hours on our second.
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/2249282/sony-xperia-z-review

How good or bad is that compared to other phones. 6:30 hours looping from Netflix sounds good.

If I can recharge it every 2 days then that's fine by me.

What is an acceptable time for these battery life tests? I don't have a smartphone so I can't compare.

The v3 review says

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/224...peria-z-review

How good or bad is that compared to other phones. 6:30 hours looping from Netflix sounds good.

If I can recharge it every 2 days then that's fine by me.
honestly the main battery stat to look for is the on-screen time. Nothing is worse than when you browse the web and do a bunch of shit on your phone when you have a free hour or so and thne you find out your battery dropped 30-50%. For this phone I think most reviews are at 3-3.5 hours.

There isn't a smartphone on the market today not named the razr maxx and MAYBE the razr hd that will let you charge every 2 days with moderate use. Most smartphones require nightly charges, some mid day for safety.

2 phones to look out for with potentially good battery life are the galaxy s4 with the rumoured minimum of 2600mah, and the next motorola flagship due out sometime in the summer. Though the 2600 might get you comfortably through a day. 3000+ will get you 2 days. Which is likely motorola's next flagship.

Linius

In The Netherlands orders for the Xperia Z are being shipped this week by several suppliers. It's a bummer I have to wait at least two more days for my contract renewal to go trough, hopefully I get it early next week. Can't wait :D

JonnyBrad

Probably iPhone 4S hardware is a smaller iPhone 5 shell, much like the iPad Mini. Still overpriced though. Why oh why do people buy this tuff.

A 4s is a good phone. Certainly better than any android phone you can get with a < 4inch screen.

I recommended it to my missus because she wanted a small phone. It's not up against much in that category.

Number45

Why should it be? You actually proved my point.
I never said it should be, just that it isn't. I've never really attached a value to smartphones in terms of cost against hardware (aside from the Nexus 4 perhaps, which is insanely cheap) - a smartphone is a smartphone in that respect to me.

Akira

Could this be Sony's first smartphone to reach 5 million+ in sales? Actually I doubt any of the past Xperias reached a million before.

spwolf

Could this be Sony's first smartphone to reach 5 million+ in sales? Actually I doubt any of the past Xperias reached a million before.

well last year they sold 34+ million so i would think few went over a million since they didnt have 40 phones out :)

but maybe this one goes over 10? hard to say. they have 2 versions too.

overall they are aiming for another 50% increase in sales for 2013.... so over 50 million.

Ammish

Banned
The Xperia Z is barely any cheaper off contract than the 5 at current prices, at least in the UK.

There's no upfront cost with the Xperia Z in most shops with the exception of Three. I've never seen one shop (online or offline) that provides an iPhone 5 for the same price as the Xperia Z. At least without a substantial upfront cost.

*shrugs*

Edit: I take that back. I was just shit at looking.

TheLoyalist

Neo Member
Galaxy S4 specs leaked

4,99&#8243; Full-HD SoLux LCD Display <---- LCD??
Snapdragon 600 1.9 Ghz
- 2 GB RAM
- 16, 32 or 64 GB
- 13 Megapixel
- 140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm
- 138 gram
- Home button with touch buttons
- Plastic back with aluminium sides
- Removable battery
- Black / White

Bigger than Z but slimmer and lighter. Still uses plastic lol

Mokubba

honestly the main battery stat to look for is the on-screen time. Nothing is worse than when you browse the web and do a bunch of shit on your phone when you have a free hour or so and thne you find out your battery dropped 30-50%. For this phone I think most reviews are at 3-3.5 hours.

There isn't a smartphone on the market today not named the razr maxx and MAYBE the razr hd that will let you charge every 2 days with moderate use. Most smartphones require nightly charges, some mid day for safety.

2 phones to look out for with potentially good battery life are the galaxy s4 with the rumoured minimum of 2600mah, and the next motorola flagship due out sometime in the summer. Though the 2600 might get you comfortably through a day. 3000+ will get you 2 days. Which is likely motorola's next flagship.

I've not seen any reviews with the battery life that low. Most I've seen say 5 hours screen time on average.

Also there's this but I don't know how it will work with stamina mode.

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/qualcomm-launches-snapdragon-batteryguru-an-app-to-extend-your-battery-performance/

Knight77

I have preorder (and already paid) the Xperia Z. But honestly I'm quite tempted to contact clove and ask if it would be possible to change... I mean not sure about do it or not but I'm honestly tempted by the HTC One.
Biggest disappointment seems to be the XZ camera, and the fact that HTC One is gonna be released with superior hardware.

What do you think?

I have preorder (and already paid) the Xperia Z. But honestly I'm quite tempted to contact clove and ask if it would be possible to change... I mean not sure about do it or not but I'm honestly tempted by the HTC One.
Biggest disappointment seems to be the XZ camera, and the fact that HTC One is gonna be released with superior hardware.

What do you think?

HTC has Sense. Z doesn't.

Mario007

So weird that Sony didn't show off any new phones at MWC this year. Only Tablet Z got international release. I wonder what's up?

So weird that Sony didn't show off any new phones at MWC this year. Only Tablet Z got international release. I wonder what's up?

MWC is for bit part players now. The majors (Google, Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, Nokia) all host their own events now for smartphone releases. Also, Sony want to reduce the time from announce to release and since the mid-rangers are all for Q2, they want to wait for April to announce them. They might get a press conference, but more likely they will just get a press release.

Mario007

MWC is for bit part players now. The majors (Google, Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, Nokia) all host their own events now for smartphone releases. Also, Sony want to reduce the time from announce to release and since the mid-rangers are all for Q2, they want to wait for April to announce them. They might get a press conference, but more likely they will just get a press release.
Suppose that makes sense, I guess I was expecting a mid and low end modules to be released in March rather than later. Because basically right now all Sony Mobile will have to survive is XZ.

Knight77

So to sum up the reviews until now... we can say?

PRO:
- Design
- Water resistan
- Light UI
- Good materials

CONS:
- Poor screen/extremly low contrast ratio (?)
- Bad corner view
- Poor camera (biggest disappointment?)

Something to add? Something to correct? What about the battery? I cannot have a clear idea about that...

PRO:
- Design
- Water resistan
- Light UI
- Good materials

CONS:
- Bad corner view

Something to add? Something to correct? What about the battery? I cannot have a clear idea about that...

Regarding the screen, the only con about that are the sub-par viewing angles. The screen itself, sharpness, contrast, color reproduction is absolutely the best in the industry.

Camera isn't poor, it's decent. Camera software however is amazing.

One thing to add to cons is the battery life under use.

Linius

PRO:
- Design
- Water resistan
- Light UI
- Good materials

CONS:
- Bad corner view

I'm always wondering how important the corner view is to people. To me it matters if the screen looks good when I look at it. And it's not like I'm going to hold my phone in weird positions so I need a good corner view.

No phablet, no date for xperia tablet z, and no talks about which carriers will get the Z/ZL in the US :/

Also, Kaz shows up for this and not the PS4 reveal hmmmmm not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: Not sure if posted

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/02/25/sony-mobile-planning-firefox-os-xperia-device/

Sony rumored to use Firefox OS on an xperia device. Not sure what to make of it, I'd personally prefer a vita OS phone, will wait and see what this brings.

Blackhead

Redarse

:/ I thought they would be here by March. Got to grab something else now then.

No phablet, no date for xperia tablet z, and no talks about which carriers will get the Z/ZL in the US :/

Also, Kaz shows up for this and not the PS4 reveal hmmmmm not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: Not sure if posted

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/02/25/sony-mobile-planning-firefox-os-xperia-device/

Sony rumored to use Firefox OS on an xperia device. Not sure what to make of it, I'd personally prefer a vita OS phone, will wait and see what this brings.

It's MWC. Most mobile companies aren't doing anything significant there now. If they move it to London or New York then I think it might do better as an event, but MWC is soon going to be relegated to newcomers and second tier companies.

As for FF OS, I have heard that exact same line about WP and WebOS in the past from Sony, expect it t amount to nothing.

JonnyBrad

Tied out an Xperia Z in a three store yesterday. The screen is great front on. I still don't know why they went with greyed buttons and notification bar though.

It does fade off angle. But not as badly as the sky is falling idiots on XDA make out.

Oh and you can pull down notifications on the lock screen so GSM arena weren't being very thorough.

Will be buying when I'm home from Berlin.

Akira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pp7nDmb5K4

Xperia Z TV commercial. Such a good commercial, one of the best smartphone commercials.

If only Sony had used this commercial as a Super Bowl commercial and launched the Z in the US on all major carriers by end of February, they would have sold millions for sure. Alas, next time Sony...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom