• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Banned
Appparently Yuga is the flagship, Odin will come in March/April for selected markets

In China there are reports of Yuga being the same price as the Xperia which, if true, is good 50-100 euro less than what Galaxy S3 or One X started retailing for last year, so around the 500-500 euro area.

Which Xperia?
But this is very aggressive price. Only if they can price it this way and market it nicely too. look like 2013 going to be a resurgance of Sony Mobile atleast..

Sony is slowly getting some market share.. it totally vanished couple of years ago.. but now slowly and steady Sony mobile is making inroads in the market.

Mario007

Which Xperia?
But this is very aggressive price. Only if they can price it this way and market it nicely too. look like 2013 going to be a resurgance of Sony Mobile atleast..

Sony is slowly getting some market share.. it totally vanished couple of years ago.. but now slowly and steady Sony mobile is making inroads in the market.
Sorry I left out the letter 'T'. It's meant to cost as much Xperia T. So that is quite an agressive pricing. It'll be interesting if it will be reflected in the same way for US market. I think both Xperia T and ION were 99 dollars on contract so if they can get Z in the same price bracket that would be pretty mindblowing.

Sony sure are going up, last year they already doubled the number of smartphones sold from previous year. And if reports are to be believed they're eyeing 50 million sold this year. It's miniscule compared to Samsung or Apple, but it would clearly push them as the 3rd biggest brand. They seems to have very good focus in mobile just as they have in digital imagining so it's good that they're looking well after the newly identified key pillars. Gaming is kinda doing ok but not great mainly cause Vita is still leaving a lot to be desired in terms of sales.

On the other hand, it seems that the reception from some tech sites seems to be not so nice. The Verge already called the phones 'monolithic slabs' and going by the Endgadge review of Xperia T, I think the US press will not really give the phone any praising reviews. Which is hilarious, because that same 'monolithic slab' comment can so easily apply to none other than the leader in technology and innovate and forever our god- Apple.

Carl

Oh wow, these look gorgeous.

Half regretting buying an Xperia T in November. But i love my Xperia T, so i don't mind.

Akira

Appparently Yuga is the flagship, Odin will come in March/April for selected markets

In China there are reports of Yuga being the same price as the Xperia which, if true, is good 50-100 euro less than what Galaxy S3 or One X started retailing for last year, so around the 500-500 euro area.

Not sure if this is right, I thought I read that Yuga/Odin will be the most expensive Xperia yet, more than the two flagships last year the Xperia S and T and at the same price level as the iPhone 5 and GSIII. But this makes sense because this is the first Xperia that will have top, top end materials and hardware.

tino

Banned
Why doesn't Sony just make the thin bezel version (odin)? I really don't care about the fat bezel version. Just about every OEM has announced/hinted at a 5" 1080p phone.

Kiraly

Why doesn't Sony just make the thin bezel version (odin)? I really don't care about the fat bezel version. Just about every OEM has announced/hinted at a 5" 1080p phone.

Yuga is water-resistant (hence the bigger bezel), and that is a big thing in a lot of countries.

Yeah it seems like a no brainer to me that the Odin should have been the flagship...I feel like I'm missing something. Water/dust proof doesn't that seem all that exciting. In fact it actually kind of bugs me because that means annoying flaps covering ports. Whereas the Odin seems like a technical achievement that would be hard to match, and it just looks cooler.

Averon

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/01/0...th-a-1-7ghz-dual-core-processor-720p-display/
The Sony C530X (C5302, C5303, C5306) will be armed with the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MSM8960T chipset with a 1.7GHz dual-core processor and Adreno 320 graphics. The benchmark also reveals that HuaShan will have a 720 x 1280 display with onscreen touchscreen buttons. The handset tested was running Android 4.1.2. We don’t know whether HuaShan will make an appearance at CES next week, but if not, MWC in February is a dead cert.

Will HuaShan be Sony's new mid range phone?

edit: Here's the date and time of Sony's CES presser, as well as live stream links.

Yeah it seems like a no brainer to me that the Odin should have been the flagship...I feel like I'm missing something. Water/dust proof doesn't that seem all that exciting. In fact it actually kind of bugs me because that means annoying flaps covering ports. Whereas the Odin seems like a technical achievement that would be hard to match, and it just looks cooler.

Production issues, like I mentioned in an earlier post. I suspect they do want Odin to be the flagship, but it just won't be ready on a fast enough schedule to compete with the GS4.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/01/0...th-a-1-7ghz-dual-core-processor-720p-display/

Will HuaShan be Sony's new mid range phone?

edit: Here's the date and time of Sony's CES presser, as well as live stream links.

Yes, I mentioned this phone in an earlier post, I labelled it under the Xperia 4. MSM8960T, 1.5GB RAM, 720p, 8MP Exmor RS is what I had heard previously. It might actually be 4.3", same screen as the Xperia S, but with added OptiContrast.

The one rumoured device I haven't heard anything about is Dogo. It's supposed to be a 4.65" (same screen as the One X, but again with OptiContrast) 720p, APQ8064, 12MP, slimline mid range phone to compete with the Nexus 4 but I haven't heard a single thing about it, so it might not come until MWC, which seems reasonable given the stock issues LG and Google are having with the N4.

If Yuga is the their flagship will they mention Odin in their conference? It just seems weird to announce 2 phones, where 1 clearly looks more impressive than the other, and then push the less impressive one. Everyone in the media will be like uhhhh....and the cycle of wtf sony will begin again. Or are they just going to announce the yuga and the Odin will be something at a later date.

Ugh every time I see this thread I think there might be some news about them coming to Sprint but always nothing :( I wouldn't even be able to import a phone right? They don't make them to support that signal?

scosher

Really hoping this comes to Verizon. Eligible for an upgrade since the end of December but I am waiting on this phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ugh every time I see this thread I think there might be some news about them coming to Sprint but always nothing :( I wouldn't even be able to import a phone right? They don't make them to support that signal?

Not Sprint's CDMA, no. But who knows, maybe things could change

Mario007

Not sure if this is right, I thought I read that Yuga/Odin will be the most expensive Xperia yet, more than the two flagships last year the Xperia S and T and at the same price level as the iPhone 5 and GSIII. But this makes sense because this is the first Xperia that will have top, top end materials and hardware.
It was reported by xperiablog that the Chinese price should be similar to Xperia T, so that's kinda what I'm going off.

If Yuga is the their flagship will they mention Odin in their conference? It just seems weird to announce 2 phones, where 1 clearly looks more impressive than the other, and then push the less impressive one. Everyone in the media will be like uhhhh....and the cycle of wtf sony will begin again. Or are they just going to announce the yuga and the Odin will be something at a later date.

This is my concern. Odin looks much superior to the Yuga with the same internals, though it sounds like the Yuga is the main flagship? That just sounds backwards.

I am starting to feel a one step forward and two steps back coming up...

Radec

This is like T and V all over again.

Sony should organize its naming scheme on mobile phones.

Samsung gets it right with the S and Note lineup.

Mario007

This is my concern. Odin looks much superior to the Yuga with the same internals, though it sounds like the Yuga is the main flagship? That just sounds backwards.

I am starting to feel a one step forward and two steps back coming up...
Hopefully they won't mention the Odin in that case.

Knight77

Z: 139x71x8.1mm
ZL: 131.6x69.7x9.8mm

yukaj.jpg

Don't ask me what is written there :))

twofold

I believe that's Thai. The 19,990 probably represents the price of the phone in THB, i.e. 19,990 Thai Baht (£405/500eur/$658).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So Yuga is definitely coming first.

That's fine, I just need to know which LTE bands are included

Mario007

In Europe should be around 599 same price of Xperia T but I guess here in Italy they will pump it to 649/699....
On Xda they were saying the price should be around 530.
I don't see another way around it. Otherwise if they mention both it sounds like "here is the phone we're rushing out to compete, and here is our actual next flagship device coming a tiny bit later".
I could see Odin coming in as a slight redesign, with Yuga's production ceasing in May and Odin replacing it. Because it does really look like basically Sony is trying to beat Samsung to it and leave HTC far behind as well. I don't know if they really need to be in such a panic mood, I mean Galaxy SII launched in May last year so we can presume April-May will be the launch here so if they can get Odin out there for March they should be alright. Having said that, HTC tried that last year and got slaughtered.

We could also see a staggered launch as well. Having Yuga launching in the important territories first and then Odin complimenting it in other territories. We'll have to wait and see but yes the most stupid thing would be if Kaz walked out and showed off the 2 phones next to each other and picked the worse looking one as the flagship in front of everyone's eyes. Not that Sony is a stranger to this kind of dual announcements: Xperia S and Ion, Xperia T, TX and V.

I think the panic mode is warranted. The latest reliable rumour is that HTC's next flagship the M7 might appear at CES, which is probably earlier than anyone expected. It looks like everyone is trying to maximize their time before the Galaxy S4 release, which will then completely overshadow everything else.

As for the 2 devices for Sony, who knows. I could see the staggered release thing being the reality, what I don't see for some reason though is carriers wanting to carry both the Yuga AND the Odin. So not sure what's gonna happen here.

Sony should just have one main phone and focus on that as the true flagship and just refresh it, like the Galaxy and the iPhone. Let the Odin be the Sony phone. They can keep making the other phones to compete in different and segmented markets, but they need to focus on one phone as the ultimate main phone so they can throw the entire weight of Sony and the marketing dollars at it. Just make the Odin the base design and announce that and be done with it otherwise the Yuga and Odin just seem like another phone in the long line of Xperia phones, especially with the potential for the standard, unremarkable moniker of Xperia Z and ZL. Just make it the Sony Xperia Odin. That is memorable. Give it another 2 months and Sony will announce the next set of 'flagship' phones... The Xperia Ax and Bx or something stupid.

Ugh, flagship. I hate that word.

leroidys

Come on guys, they had to finish out the alphabet. Now that the Z is finaly coming out, they can move on to numbers.

noobie

Banned
Sony should just have one main phone and focus on that as the true flagship and just refresh it, like the Galaxy and the iPhone. Let the Odin be the Sony phone. They can keep making the other phones to compete in different and segmented markets, but they need to focus on one phone as the ultimate main phone so they can throw the entire weight of Sony and the marketing dollars at it. Just make the Odin the base design and announce that and be done with it otherwise the Yuga and Odin just seem like another phone in the long line of Xperia phones, especially with the potential for the standard, unremarkable moniker of Xperia Z and ZL. Just make it the Sony Xperia Odin. That is memorable. Give it another 2 months and Sony will announce the next set of 'flagship' phones... The Xperia Ax and Bx or something stupid.

Ugh, flagship. I hate that word.

I think staggered flagship release is a nice idea. First the phone differs from each other.. secondly we have to remember that Sony is revitalizing their brand in Phone market. Couple of years ago Sony was completely absent from market. so technically, theoratically and practically its not possible that they launch one phone and be the biggest player in the market again..

But in the past years from Xperia S, P & U they got some market recognition and now with Xperia T, V and this Z they are getting well known and by the time of releasing ZL they should be well known and with proper and right marketing they will be able to grab and good respectable market share...

Although naming can be improved.. but naming i dont think matters in the end.. if u r well known and u get good words of mouth then what ever is the word of your product it will sell..

Akira

Z: 139x71x8.1mm
ZL: 131.6x69.7x9.8mm

yukaj.jpg

Don't ask me what is written there :))

There is the Yuga's shutter button at the bottom right there. :D Even though I've been mesmerized by the Odin's bezel, the Yuga is still a hot phone with its IP57 certification. It's a unique, "world's first" feature for a global phone. It also has a much bigger battery than the Odin.

Hopefully after this current wave of new phones, Sony will start with a new, more cohesive naming convention. I would suggest going for 3-5 different models (versus its 10-12 different models they have now) and using the number system that zomgbbqftw suggested. No need to have several low/midrange phones that have simiar hardware, but different features and designs (same thing goes for the flagships I guess).

Mario007

There is the Yuga's shutter button at the bottom right there. :D Even though I've been mesmerized by the Odin's bezel, the Yuga is still a hot phone with its IP57 certification. It's a unique, "world's first" feature for a global phone. It also has a much bigger battery than the Odin.

Hopefully after this current wave of new phones, Sony will start with a new, more cohesive naming convention. I would suggest going for 3-5 different models (versus its 10-12 different models they have now) and using the number system that zomgbbqftw suggested. No need to have several low/midrange phones that have simiar hardware, but different features and designs (same thing goes for the flagships I guess).
I think they'll stick to the letters but add numbers behind them. So Sony's second flagship will be Z2 next year etc. Hopefully, that is. Or if Yuga fails, then they'll think up a new naming convention.

I'd love to grab this phone but chances of it coming to Verizon are slim so:(

Sony will never be a true mobile force in America until they put their phones on more carriers, this ATnT exclusive shit will only bottleneck the potential of this phone which can more than rival that of Samsung and Apple, and that's a damn shame to. Sony needs to step it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom