• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I'm really considering just dropping my sprint line, leaving my family on it and I switch to ATT (even though I had them before and they are terrible...) I really want that phone :(

2fReW.jpg

well it's all preference but the reason a lot of people are impressed with the Odin is because it has a 5 inch 1080p screen on a MUCH smaller phone. It's pretty impressive. Also that cool LED gets people.

I see. thanks

but specs are identical right? except for the phone size

Polari

well it's all preference but the reason a lot of people are impressed with the Odin is because it has a 5 inch 1080p screen on a MUCH smaller phone. It's pretty impressive. Also that cool LED gets people.

Worth noting that Odin is almost 2mm thicker though.

Mario007

It really does look like the Jony phone o.0

Apple-Jony-iPhone-inline.jpg
Now that you brought it up with a picture it seems quite clear that it is an exact copy of that concept with a bigger screen. I mean even the power button is the same, and the sides of the phone are similarly shaped and designed as the Z.

So the question is, did Sony want to create a phone like this ages ago and Ericson shut them down?

Mario007

I hope they market it strongly.
They had a great marketing campaign last year for the S, the NXT series (btw I always thought that the smart thing to do with the NXT series, since they're using the letters for their phones and there was 3 phones, would be to call them N, X and T) and the T, so I think a huge marketing campaign is a given.
They could really use a killer phone. I'm in the market for one and if they don't botch this, I'll definitely get one.
Yeah, well this is the first time they are actually competing with the Galaxy S series or the iPhone or any other top-of-the-line phone. Previously their phones didn't always have the latest hardware.

I wonder about the software optimisation, because even with much worse hardware Xperia phones would usually, from my experience, be almost as good as their more up-to-date with regards hardware counterparts.
Yeah,call it the Xperia 2 and then go on from there.
Unfortunately won't happen :( This is the only mistake Sony is making with their phones.

I am excited! Despite my concerns about the announcement, those Yuga pictures are stunning. That right there is the sexiest phone I've ever seen. I love the blue accent.

Sid

Unfortunately won't happen :( This is the only mistake Sony is making with their phones.
Honestly this is ridiculous and I wonder why they aren't realizing this,It's such a small thing but makes such a massive difference in the eyes of the consumer.

Mario007

Honestly this is ridiculous and I wonder why they aren't realizing this,It's such a small thing but makes such a massive difference in the eyes of the consumer.
Thats very true. Xperiablog actually called them out on it a few days back. It would make sense if they stuck with it, like Yuga wouldn't be Xperia Z but rather Xperia S2, HuaShan would be P2 etc. But they are just picking another letter from the alphabet without any connection to the previous goodwill that they build with their phones.

I get that they try to do it the Vaio way, i.e. have Xperia be the brand and the letters really just a small differantiating factor but even with Vaio, you know the E series is the cheap one and Z are expensive ones. With the current Xperia phones you have no way of knowing (though as luck would have it Xperia E will be a new entry level device and Xperia Z the flagship so let's hope they stick with it).

And to think they had such an awesome naming scheme back in 2011 with Mini, Pro, Active, Neo, Ray and Arc.

Sid

I hope by their next one they realise this,seriously 'Xperia 2-The next generation of Xperia' how tough is it to come up with that?

They better release it simultaneously worldwide and a week after announcing it

Doubt it. The Xperia T is pretty 'new' where I live (Holland) and is currently Sony's flagship. It's also one of the priciest handsets along a contract. I think Yuga/Odin will release around March.

They better release it simultaneously worldwide and a week after announcing it

February release for Yuga. I have heard that UK and Japan get it first in week 6 and the rest of Europe gets it in week 8. Depending on how US carrier negotiations go it will be available either in week 6 (if they don't get a carrier deal straight away) or week 10 (if they do). Announcement on Monday is week 2, so that leaves 4 weeks between announcement and the first shipments.

There is also a chance that a singe UK carrier will get it a week early from air freighted shipments.

The GS3 had a similar release schedule, announcement, then around a three to four week wait until release.

People say that the eventual target for Sony is 2 weeks from announcement to release for all mobile devices with pre-orders available on the same day.

noobie

Banned
February release for Yuga. I have heard that UK and Japan get it first in week 6 and the rest of Europe gets it in week 8. Depending on how US carrier negotiations go it will be available either in week 6 (if they don't get a carrier deal straight away) or week 10 (if they do). Announcement on Monday is week 2, so that leaves 4 weeks between announcement and the first shipments.

There is also a chance that a singe UK carrier will get it a week early from air freighted shipments.

The GS3 had a similar release schedule, announcement, then around a three to four week wait until release.

People say that the eventual target for Sony is 2 weeks from announcement to release for all mobile devices with pre-orders available on the same day.

That will be awesome. But i dont think its going to be easy hitting this target.

Btw do you know when Sony Q4 - 2012 financial conference is.. Curious about well they have done in the last quarter. Still in red and trouble or out of it.

Mario007

That will be awesome. But i dont think its going to be easy hitting this target.

Btw do you know when Sony Q4 - 2012 financial conference is.. Curious about well they have done in the last quarter. Still in red and trouble or out of it.
They will still be in red, but I expect only 150-300 milion maybe less if they count in the once off profit from Skyfall.

Sony mobile will still post a loss despite record numbers due to restructuring and moving the office to Japan.

Sony's tablet and PC segment will show a slowdown in sales but they will be in the black, same with the PlayStation division.

noobie

Banned
They will still be in red, but I expect only 150-300 milion maybe less if they count in the once off profit from Skyfall.

Sony mobile will still post a loss despite record numbers due to restructuring and moving the office to Japan.

Sony's tablet and PC segment will show a slowdown in sales but they will be in the black, same with the PlayStation division.
I believe they are expecting profit in this fiscal year ending March 2013. So with first 2 quarters in red i think they need to be in black in this quarter to hit that target..

Sony PC segment should be doing well because their Windows 8 systems are popular. i have a feeling their sales are better than expectation.

Mario007

I believe they are expecting profit in this fiscal year ending March 2013. So with first 2 quarters in red i think they need to be in black in this quarter to hit that target..

Sony PC segment should be doing well because their Windows 8 systems are popular. i have a feeling their sales are better than expectation.
Are they? I thought they were projecting for the next fiscal year to get a profit. My bad.

Well PC sales in general are down, Win8 is not really catching on any fire and their Android Tablets are doing terrible as well. So that would be the one part of the company I'd be worried about.

So I aired my concerns to someone very high up at Sony that showing both Yuga and Odin at the same conference and releasing Odin much later would likely have a big impact on sales. They agreed. I also gave them my grievance over the terrible naming choices, Xperia Z/ZL as it causes a lot of confusion, people will automatically wait for the ZL version as they will see it as superior, they agreed with that also.

However the person said it is likely too late to change anything now.

We're heading for another wtf, Sony?!

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as I see it if they go ahead and announce two 5" phones with the clearly superior one releasing later. They only need to show one 5" device and then cockblock Samsung with Odin at the GS4 release show off the awesome smallness compared to the behemoth that will be the GS4.

We'll see tomorrow, sadly I am not attending CES, so I will have to stay up until 1am to find out whether anything could be done.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So I aired my concerns to someone very high up at Sony that showing both Yuga and Odin at the same conference and releasing Odin much later would likely have a big impact on sales. They agreed. I also gave them my grievance over the terrible naming choices, Xperia Z/ZL as it causes a lot of confusion, people will automatically wait for the ZL version as they will see it as superior, they agreed with that also.

However the person said it is likely too late to change anything now.

We're heading for another wtf, Sony?!

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as I see it if they go ahead and announce two 5" phones with the clearly superior one releasing later. They only need to show one 5" device and then cockblock Samsung with Odin at the GS4 release show off the awesome smallness compared to the behemoth that will be the GS4.

We'll see tomorrow, sadly I am not attending CES, so I will have to stay up until 1am to find out whether anything could be done.

Do you have any idea of LTE bands included? (if any at all?)

Carton

Also from the back it really does look like that Sony prototype that Apple allegedly copied.

It wasn't a Sony prototype. It was an early iPhone prototype by an Apple employee, Shin Nishibori, which was designed with Sony aesthetics specifically in mind. Apparently he was directed to design something which would be fit for a Sony product/conform to Sony design language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom