• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ryu Hayabusa(DoA/Ninja Gaiden) and Kat (Gravity Rush) join PS All-Stars?

Endo Punk

They aren't choosing characters based on GAFs stupid notions that the character has to be exclusive to some extent or avoiding ones that have been time exclusive to another console at some point in time. They are choosing great characters that have appeared on Playstation, that is it.

No they don't have any criteria they just choose characters. For example Dante from the new DmC. And please don't fool yourself into thinking it's the same Dante, even Capcom confirmed year ago that it's a new Dante for an alternate universe DMC franchise.

SmithnCo

They should just drop "Playstation" out of the title at this point. Who's next? Isaac Clarke? Ezio?

An AC character is actually one of the more rumored third-party inclusions, lol. A while back everyone thought Connor would be in.

Wasn't some of this largely debunked by Clockwork? If he specifically said that there weren't those Tekken characters in the game, why would you assume that the other characters weren't fake too? They were all from the same "leak".

He conveniently only said the Tekken characters weren't in and never mentioned Ryu. Hm.

yurinka

BTW, any words or rumors about Street Fighter characters?

I think that to include Ryu and Chun-Li would make sense. But considering how Capcom USA (who has the SF rights) acts against Sony I doubt it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The whole game just feels really cheap and a horrible cash in.

Can we have Bayonetta and Gene in so we complete the action game trinity?

Of course not. They don't have new games to advertise, which is the basic criteria for all 3rd party entries.

Every Ninja Gaiden game has been on a Playstation platform. The same could not be said of Solid Snake and Sonic from Smash Brothers which no one had a problem with.

Not that I care if they're third party or not but we're the NES Ninja Gaidens and arcade version on PSN?

If we're talking "girls of PlayStation", Lara Croft is the OG.

They should just drop "Playstation" out of the title at this point. Who's next? Isaac Clarke? Ezio?

Um, those two would fit nicely. Both Dead Space and Assassin's Creed have aligned themselves somewhat strongly with the PS3, with bonus content in both series for the platform.

kuroshiki

Ellen She can even be this game Pokemon Trainer,I'm actually surprised they didn't wanted to put her in the game seeing how the game look and play (very close to Super Smash Bros)

And I really don't get Superbot pick ups here ,Heavenly Sword,Fat Princess and Gravity Rush aren't popular games either nor cult classic games too, so I don't get Fat Princess over all other Sony girl.

Other Sony girls should be over here instead of Fat Princess if we pick them based on their abilities, Rynn (Drakan) is like a witcher using magic and sword and have a freaking dragon, Jen Tate (Primal) is crazy melee character than can transform,Ellen (Folklore) summon and controls monsters, Rose (The Legend of Dragoon) can transform "Black Dragoon" and have tons of attacks, Monica(Dark Cloud2) is also a fighter with sword and magic abilities there are also Carmelita (Sly)Angela Cross(Ratchet) who uses guns and many other,but we got the worst one.

Spot on. [brofist]

And I really don't get Superbot pick ups here ,Heavenly Sword,Fat Princess and Gravity Rush aren't popular games either nor cult classic games too, so I don't get Fat Princess over all other Sony girl.

I think Fat Princess is in cause her creator is working at Superbot or something like that. And believe it or not Kat is perhaps the most requested 1st party character at this point.

Takao

Banned

AssCreed would be far the least questionable third party rep outside of Heihachi. There's been 2 exclusive entries for Vita, and PSP alongside a tonne of exclusive content on PS3.

kuroshiki

I think Fat Princess is in cause her creator is working at Superbot or something like that. And believe it or not Kat is perhaps the most requested 1st party character at this point.

Damn it I should have guessed. let me guess. Fat princess is pretty powerful in this game is it not?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Sigma 2, and *cough* 3, released on the PlayStation 3.

Sigma was one of the original group of games I bought on my PS3 that year.

I'm a big NG fan, so having Ryu in the game is fine by me.

I frigging loved Gravity Rush, so Kat is an awesome choice.

Some of you guys aren't "PlayStation" fans. You are "3rd party fans." There's nothing wrong with that in any way, shape, or form.

To me, "PlayStation" screams Ape Escape. PaRappa the Rapper. God of War. Uncharted. Ratchet and Clank. Jak and Daxter. LittleBigPlanet. wipEout. Gran Turismo. Patapon. Loco Roco. Sly Cooper. The Mark of Kri. etc.

So many of you cannot let go of the PlayStation 1 era, which was a FANTASTIC era in PS history, but it was not the only era in PlayStation history. There have been 5 PlayStation gaming platforms in 17 years. Each of those platforms have had some great games, with some really likable, iconic characters in their own ways.

3rd party shaped the PlayStation ONE. It gave the platform its street cred. However, with the PlayStation 2, Sony started to take a page from Nintendo's book, and began to lay the groundwork for a strong first and second party stable of characters and franchises. That, to me, was the real "birth" of PlayStation as its own thing.

The PlayStation 3 speaks for itself. Sony has been killing it with strong, quality original IPs and continuations of existing IPs. To me, the PS3 is when Sony completely came into its own in terms of no longer relying on third parties to carry them.

Yes, a celebration of PlayStation isn't complete without a nod to Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil, but if those IP holders are not interested in licensing some of the biggest names from those IPs, or are asking too much to license them, what do you expect Sony to do with a new IP that probably isn't getting an Uncharted or Killzone level budget.

I'd like to see Cloud, Snake, Lara, Crash, and Spyro in this game. They may yet show up at some point. But the roster as is is looking great. I'm stoked and excited for it, because I'm a big fan of Sony's first and second party IPs. Many of you guys aren't, and I get that, but ultimately, that just means this game may not be for you if the roster that is here turns you off that much. Which is a shame, because the actual game play is very fun. To be honest, if this game didn't have these PlayStation all stars, and was all original characters, it would still be a fun 4 player brawler. Power Stone didn't need to have a bunch of known characters to be fun.

PS All Stars has some great characters in it, and some interesting character choices in it, but at the end of the day, it's a well made party brawler that I think, if people give it a chance and play it for more than just 10 minutes, they'll walk away having had a good time.

This game needs a demo, big time. But thankfully, SuperBot said that was in the cards.

Yeah? And?

Black was a rerelease, just like Sigma

Regardless the only thing that matters is Ryu is a great character, he has appeared on Playstation multiple times. He qualifies.

Then so do a whole lot of others. Hell the only people who can't be in this game then are Nintendo characters.

Cant wait for the angry birds cameo

Ridiculous.

Endo Punk

Well every cloud has a silver lining I guess. This game made me realize that new Dante in DmC makes sense for the direction they want to take the franchise but here it doesn't because the point of such a title is to represent characters exactly how gamers remember them.

yurinka

No they don't have any criteria they just choose characters. For example Dante from the new DmC. And please don't fool yourself into thinking it's the same Dante, even Capcom confirmed year ago that it's a new Dante for an alternate universe DMC franchise.
The average player doesn't care about it. Only the rabid fanboys care about this "alternate univers", "it's canon or not" stuff.

People will see Dante, the main character of Devil May Cry, the most popular brawler series in the Playstation consoles using the look that he has in the latest game of the IP.

Endo Punk

The average player doesn't care about it. Only the rabid fanboys care about this "alternate univers", "it's canon or not" stuff.

People will see Dante, the main character of Devil May Cry, the most popular brawler series in the Playstation consoles using the look that he has in the latest game of the IP.

This game is a tribute to fans, isn't it? It's catering to rabid fanboys by showcasing characters only they remember, why else would Parappa, Sir Daniel and Spike be in it?

Seeing as the most rabid complaints seem to be coming from casuals about his looks, I'd suggest that's a bit presumptuous.

Takao

Banned
Well every cloud has a silver lining I guess. This game made me realize that new Dante in DmC makes sense for the direction they want to take the franchise but here it doesn't because the point of such a title is to represent characters exactly how gamers remember them.

hey man at least superbot's rendition of ninja theory's dante will be in 60fps

kuroshiki

This game is a tribute to fans, isn't it? It's catering to rabid fanboys by showcasing characters only they remember, why else would Parappa, Sir Daniel and Spike be in it?

It's for the playstation fans, or people who played games on playstation. So technically speaking any character that appeared on the PS console qualifies.

Also if they really wanted to satisfy rabid fanboys they are not doing a great job. (just look at the PS exclusive rosters)

Shahed

Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Sigma 2, and *cough* 3, released on the PlayStation 3.

Sigma was one of the original group of games I bought on my PS3 that year.

I'm a big NG fan, so having Ryu in the game is fine by me.

I frigging loved Gravity Rush, so Kat is an awesome choice.

Some of you guys aren't "PlayStation" fans. You are "3rd party fans." There's nothing wrong with that in any way, shape, or form.

To me, "PlayStation" screams Ape Escape. PaRappa the Rapper. God of War. Uncharted. Ratchet and Clank. Jak and Daxter. LittleBigPlanet. wipEout. Gran Turismo. Patapon. Loco Roco. Sly Cooper. The Mark of Kri. etc.

So many of you cannot let go of the PlayStation 1 era, which was a FANTASTIC era in PS history, but it was not the only era in PlayStation history. There have been 5 PlayStation gaming platforms in 17 years. Each of those platforms have had some great games, with some really likable, iconic characters in their own ways.

3rd party shaped the PlayStation ONE. It gave the platform its street cred. However, with the PlayStation 2, Sony started to take a page from Nintendo's book, and began to lay the groundwork for a strong first and second party stable of characters and franchises. That, to me, was the real "birth" of PlayStation as its own thing.

The PlayStation 3 speaks for itself. Sony has been killing it with strong, quality original IPs and continuations of existing IPs. To me, the PS3 is when Sony completely came into its own in terms of no longer relying on third parties to carry them.

Yes, a celebration of PlayStation isn't complete without a nod to Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil, but if those IP holders are not interested in licensing some of the biggest names from those IPs, or are asking too much to license them, what do you expect Sony to do with a new IP that probably isn't getting an Uncharted or Killzone level budget.

I'd like to see Cloud, Snake, Lara, Crash, and Spyro in this game. They may yet show up at some point. But the roster as is is looking great. I'm stoked and excited for it, because I'm a big fan of Sony's first and second party IPs. Many of you guys aren't, and I get that, but ultimately, that just means this game may not be for you if the roster that is here turns you off that much. Which is a shame, because the actual game play is very fun. To be honest, if this game didn't have these PlayStation all stars, and was all original characters, it would still be a fun 4 player brawler. Power Stone didn't need to have a bunch of known characters to be fun.

PS All Stars has some great characters in it, and some interesting character choices in it, but at the end of the day, it's a well made party brawler that I think, if people give it a chance and play it for more than just 10 minutes, they'll walk away having had a good time.

This game needs a demo, big time. But thankfully, SuperBot said that was in the cards.

You know I get what you're trying to convey here. You can't get all the 3rd party characters in that you want. If the company won't allow it, then what can Sony do? That doesn't really bother me. I would have bought this game if it only had Sony characters and no third party.

But if you're gonna have 3rd party characters, get the ones that fit, or don't bother. My annoyance at Ryu ( and Big Daddy) isn't that they got them instead of Cloud or Crash, it's that they are there at all. I'd rather have a smaller roster and them not be included.

A lot of people will agree with me. A lot of people will also disagree with me. However whether you think my opinion is wrong or not, you can at least understand where I'm coming from with wanting character's seen as iconic PlayStation only. You may personally disagree, but just as I get where people who like the 3rd party's are coming from, they should be able to do the same with me and people who share my stance on things

Allstars looks to have the most varied roster I've ever seen in a fighting game. I'm glad I don't get upset over childish things like Dante's hair color or if Ryu has enough Playstation brand loyalty.

Tomb raider for example was always a multiplat. In fact it was originally a time exclusive for Sega Saturn. Yet all and sundry want Lara Croft as a character. Why? Because the stupidity surrounding exclusivity status has only meant anything since you joined a forum. In the real world, it doesn't mean anything.

kuroshiki

You know I get what you're trying to convey here. You can't get all the 3rd party characters in that you want. If the company won't allow it, then what can Sony do? That doesn't really bother me. I would have bought this game if it only had Wony characters and no third party.

But if you're gonna have 3rd party characters, get the ones that fit, or don't bother. My annoyance at Ryu ( and Big Daddy) isn't that they got them instead of Cloud or Crash, it's that they are there at all. I'd rather have a smaller roster and them not be included.

A lot of people will agree with me. A lot of people will also disagree with me. However whether you think my opinion is wrong or not, you can at least understand where I'm coming from with wanting character's seen as iconic PlayStation only. You may personally disagree, but just as I get where people who like the 3rd party's are coming from, they should be able to do the same with me and people who share my stance on things

This I don't understand.

bon

Future character predictions:

Jake from Resident Evil 6
Connor from Assassin's Creed 3
Someone from Borderlands 2

what other high profile games are coming out soon?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'll only be disappointed if sotc/icon isn't represented at all. The cast they have now is very diverse and appear to have very unique playstyles. That's the main thing I'm looking for

I didn't realize those games never came out on Playstation. What demon have I made a pact with to allow me to play Dead Space on PS3?

A wise demon. Anyways I was just referring to the fact that Sony doesn't have a lot of recognizable characters so they have to reach out to numerous third-party pub. to fill out the roster. We'll see how it shapes up when we have the full roster.

If an independent third party were releasing a fighting game that featured Dante, Kratos, Ryu, Raiden, big daddy, sweet tooth etc. it would be hyped through the roof. You guys need to get your priorities in order.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I wouldn't go that far man.

Aren't you afraid of ban hammer?

He's seemingly immune. Lol. He's been trolling every PBR thread since they announced Dante. It's a shame that he let one character announcement destroy his enjoyment of the game, because, prior to that, he claimed the game was a lot of fun, and he was really enjoying the beta.

The game isn't flawless. It has problems, and it needs balancing and tweaking, but it's not worthy of the unadulterated hatred it seems to be getting from some of the community here. As a Smash Bros fan, I'm excited to see Sony step into this arena of 4 player brawlers. I enjoy these types of games, and it's a bummer that so many others that tried their hand here haven't been able to produce results that were as fun. Thankfully, PBR is fun, and in a different way than Smash. I'll be in line for the next Smash to be sure, but I'm glad that this title is there to ease the pain of that wait.

@ Shahed: I totally understand, and agree on some level, but then, people would just bitch that there wasn't any third party representation at all, and that it wasn't a "true" PlayStation Celebration either way. It's a lose/lose it seems.

At least, the way it is now, we get a Tekken rep, a Devil May Cry rep, a Metal Gear rep, and hopefully a Final Fantasy rep (Lightning I'm sure). I'd rather have those franchises represented in some way, than not represented at all. In this day and age of fighters including many more characters via DLC, I don't really feel as upset by certain popular third parties not showing up on the disc day one as I would have been, say, last generation, when DLC didn't exist for console users.

I'm convinced that, if this game sells well, it will only be a matter of time before Activision, Square, and any other top publisher hold outs get on board and throw their characters in as DLC. It's not an ideal situation, but this entire generation hasn't been an ideal generation as far as DLC is concerned.

Personally, I'd rather have Tifa or Vivi over Cloud, and have never been a big Crash or Spyro guy, but I know others love those characters, and want them in the game, which I understand and support. It's those melodramatic "SuperBot is raping my childhood" level posts that get me.

Tomb raider for example was always a multiplat. In fact it was originally a time exclusive for Sega Saturn. Yet all and sundry want Lara Croft as a character. Why? Because the stupidity surrounding exclusivity status has only meant anything bysince you joined a forum. In the real world, it doesn't mean anything.

But if you ask the average person where the majority of tomb raider games are available, they would say PlayStation.

I'm not a Sony fanboy. I don't think their new IPs this gen have even been that great. But if you create a game that is supposed to be a celebration of the PlayStation brand, I do believe you should use characters synonymous with it.

Dino and Ryu hayabusa are not.

Raiden isn't as much as snake

As a game, purely on its own merits, there is nothing wrong with their inclusion, but the way the package is being marketed and presented to consumers feels false and out of step with what it really is

If an independent third party were releasing a fighting game that featured Dante, Kratos, Ryu, Raiden, big daddy, sweet tooth etc. it would be hyped through the roof. You guys need to get your priorities in order.

See above. The point is, that's exactly what this game's feels like but it's being marketed as something entirely different.

Endo Punk

You know I get what you're trying to convey here. You can't get all the 3rd party characters in that you want. If the company won't allow it, then what can Sony do? That doesn't really bother me. I would have bought this game if it only had Sony characters and no third party.

I agree with you dude. I don't think a character should be in just because Superbot was able to get them. What Superbot should have done is really hammer hope the 'tribute' angle then when successful a lot of these 3rd party developers would jump on board and allow use of the the Cloud and Crash characters. What they are doing now feels really disingenuous.

I wasn't expecting every character I like to make it but that's fine because it's a new title in a possible franchise, what bothers me is random 3rd party getting in the game while so many first party ones will either be left out or relocated to DLC status.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Simply not true. A lot of average gamers who have played DMC in the past don't follow the popular gaming media outlets. They'll see this dude and not have a clue who he is, nor care about his inclusion.

EDIT: Look at the posts above, why isn't a character like Lara Croft, a veritable slam dunk of a character for including in a game called Playstation All-Stars, not included? That's pretty silly.

Top Bottom