• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ryu Hayabusa(DoA/Ninja Gaiden) and Kat (Gravity Rush) join PS All-Stars?

But if you ask the average person where the majority of tomb raider games are available, they would say PlayStation.

I'm not a Sony fanboy. I don't think their new IPs this gen have even been that great. But if you create a game that is supposed to be a celebration of the PlayStation brand, I do believe you should use characters synonymous with it.

Dino and Ryu hayabusa are not.

Raiden isn't as much as snake

As a game, purely on its on merits, there is nothing wrong with their inclusion, but the way the package is being marketed and presented to consumers feels false and out of step with what it really is.
Dante is. Ryu is. Raiden is. I've played all of their games on a Playstation console.

Allstars looks to have the most varied roster I've ever seen in a fighting game. I'm glad I don't get upset over childish things like Dante's hair color or if Ryu has enough Playstation brand loyalty.

You and me both.

Also PLEASE Superbot give Kat the spy, maid, and soldier outfits as alternatives. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a towel alternate as well.

yurinka

Simply not true. A lot of average gamers who have played DMC in the past don't follow the popular gaming media outlets. They'll see this dude and not have a clue who he is, nor care about his inclusion.
DmC will be out in some few months, like this game. So this Dante will be their more recent version.

EDIT: Look at the posts above, why isn't a character like Lara Croft, a veritable slam dunk of a character for including in a game called Playstation All-Stars, not included? That's pretty silly.
I'm pretty sure that Lara Croft will be in this game since it's one of the most popular characters that appeared in the PS consoles (specially for non-gamers).
It's like the Street Fighter or Resident Evil characters, if they aren't here would be due to licensing issues with these 3rd party companies.

TEJ

Dante is. Ryu is. Raiden is. I've played all of their games on a Playstation console.

They released the NES Ninja Gaiden games, and the arcade ninja gaiden on the playstation consoles? If not, you haven't played all of Ryu Hayabusas games on a PS console.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

No, you haven't. You haven't played a game with DmC Dante or Raiden on a Playstation console unless you're from the future.

DmC will be out in some few months, like this game. So this Dante will be their more recent version.

So? DmC will be out a good two months after PS All Stars. No one knows who he is.

Allstars looks to have the most varied roster I've ever seen in a fighting game. I'm glad I don't get upset over childish things like Dante's hair color or if Ryu has enough Playstation brand loyalty.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 beats it easily when you have people that actually know how to play.

SmithnCo

Also PLEASE Superbot give Kat the spy, maid, and soldier outfits as alternatives. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a towel alternate as well.

I bet the schoolgirl will be one of them because you get it in the main game. I'd like Military and Spy/Maid though.

Hell, just give her all the costumes.

..Raiden was in both MGS2 and MGS4 (although not playable in the latter).

But you can put on Raiden's mask and pretend he is, which is what I did, lol.

No, you haven't. You haven't played a game with DmC Dante or Raiden on a Playstation console unless you're from the future.
What I haven't played MGS2?

I've played all of the DMC games. Dante is Dante regardless of is hair colour. And the original design will be an alt costume regardless

Ok. Can't be Arsed. Whatever you say bro.

And just for the record dino has a totally different fighting style from OG Dante, just to put it in simple terms. You can legitimately call him a different character. It's not just about the fucking hair.

No it really doesn't. The ONLY difference is a redesigned character model. Dante plays exactly the same as he ever did.

Aww hell nah. You just invalidated your opinion on anything DMC related. Good day sir.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What I haven't played MGS2?

I've played all of the DMC games. Dante is Dante regardless of is hair colour. And the original design will be an alt costume regardless

I actually completely forgot that MGS:R Raiden was the same character as MGS2 Raiden. He really isn't, but I'll give it to you anyway.

Stop the stupid hair color comments. No one's bringing it up except for PSASBR supporters arguing against themselves. It makes you look as ridiculous as raving fanboys.

The people complaining: This game is about the past, present and future of the PS brand AND is a celebration of the third party support that helped make the brand thrive. They even said this themselves. Calm the hell down.

I actually completely forgot that MGS:R Raiden was the same character as MGS2 Raiden. He really isn't, but I'll give it to you anyway.

Stop the stupid hair color comments. No one's bringing it up except for you. It makes you look as ridiculous as raving fanboys.
No it really doesn't. The ONLY difference is a redesigned character model. Dante plays exactly the same as he ever did.

I-hate-u

I don't mind the characters. Superbot will probably make them fun even if the count of characters with swords is very high. I just hope that they are not DLC.

Hear me Superbot: DLC characters for fighting games is the worst thing ever. I don't care if you withhold costumes, colors or whatever to sell them online but character DLC is a big no no.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

He plays exactly the same in PSASBR as he ever did in DMC? That's interesting. Again, you must be from the future, where you've played PSASBR's final build with the final DmC Dante.

And if you're saying that DmC Dante within DmC plays exactly like original Dante... well, that's an equally silly argument.

SmithnCo

Hear me Superbot: DLC characters for fighting games is the worst thing ever. I don't care if you withhold costumes, colors or to sell them online but character DLC is a big no no.

I'm hoping they'll be on disc, because of the game's delay. They really need to have some new characters at some of the upcoming events.

Simply not true. A lot of average gamers who have played DMC in the past don't follow the popular gaming media outlets. They'll see this dude and not have a clue who he is, nor care about his inclusion.

EDIT: Look at the posts above, why isn't a character like Lara Croft, a veritable slam dunk of a character for including in a game called Playstation All-Stars, not included? That's pretty silly.

Games are expensive to make. It hit home when Sony's allstar game, isn't focused on actual sony console franchises.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

He's the same as MGS4 Raiden.

Which was the same as MGS2 Raiden. He got the cybernetic body between the happenings of MGS2 and MGS4 after the Patriots experimented on him.

He plays exactly the same in PSASBR as he ever did in DMC? That's interesting. Again, you must be from the future, where you've played PSASBR's final build with the final DmC Dante.

And if you're saying that DmC Dante plays exactly like original Dante... well, that's an equally silly argument.
There are gameplay videos of Dante in PSABR everywhere. They even custom built a system of cancellable attacks for combing and chaining for Dante based on the games. His combos are based directly on the games

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Games are expensive to make. It hit home when Sony's allstar game, isn't focused on actual sony console franchises.

It's just unfortunate because when I hear something like PSASBR with 3rd party characters I see so much fucking potential, it's ridiculous. Something that could completely destroy Super Smash Bros. as a mascot fighter (not saying they're exactly the same, but please don't try to argue that they aren't under the same umbrella). The more characters that are revealed, the more a disappointment it all becomes (to me).

There are gameplay videos of Dante in PSABR everywhere. They even custom built a system of cancellable attacks for combing and chaining for Dante based on the games. His combos are based directly on the games

I know. I've seen them. And I find them to be pretty unimpressive all around. His combos are based directly on DmC. They're not based on original Dante. The moveset is completely different and the attitude is completely different and the animations are completely different. So the complaints about the character are not as superficial as "lol white hair lol". It's irritating when people decide to throw that out there in an attempt to invalidate other peoples' arguments.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I think Lara's omission is probably because Eidos is in the process of re-branding her, and want to stay true to that re-branding. And judging by the response characters like Raiden, and Dante have gotten, I'm 100% positive people would have bitched if the Lara they included was the new Lara, and not "Classic" Lara.

I'd have liked her in the game, but, honestly, I couldn't see her bringing anything new game play wise to the table compared to someone like Drake. The thing that I like the most about this game is how unique each character is, and how true they are to their respective franchises. SuperBot nailed that aspect the most.

Still, I wouldn't put it past Lara to show up as DLC at some point after her new game releases. Maybe Eidos would be more inclined to use classic Lara, or allow a classic Lara skin if she makes it in.

kuroshiki

It's just unfortunate because when I hear something like PSASBR with 3rd party characters I see so much fucking potential, it's ridiculous. Something that could completely destroy Super Smash Bros. as a mascot fighter (not saying they're exactly the same, but please don't try to argue that they aren't under the same umbrella). The more characters that are revealed, the more a disappointment it all becomes (to me).

It's all cool man. I still have no intention to buy the game either.

but one female character can change the whole thing for me, so who knows? Maybe you'll like more character reveals.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So what is your argument exactly? They should only include MGS2 Raiden because that is the only playable version to date?

And he was playable in MGO anyway

You're trying to dissect a tangential jab at your earlier statement, where you said you've played the games of MGS:R Raiden and DmC Dante on the Playstation console already. Which you haven't unless you're from the future. It's really not even worth arguing.

You're trying to dissect a tangential jab at your earlier statement, where you said you've played the games of MGS:R Raiden and DmC Dante on the Playstation console already. Which you haven't unless you're from the future. It's really not even worth arguing.
I said that they are the same characters.

Gartooth

I think the criticism about the 3rd parties is valid. Yeah Dante and Raiden are characters who have appeared on Playstation in the past, but at the same time they aren't because instead of repping games that defined Playstation like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 2, they are instead incarnations of the characters that are from unreleased games with new designs and skillsets based on those games.

Basically it feels a bit cheap like the game is a big ad for future 3rd party games. (add in Bioshock Infinite to that as well)

xion4360

Ryu.. aha. So like I thought once I saw the Big Daddy reveal, pretty much anyone who has made an appearance on Playstation is fair game, no necessarily about exclusive or association.

There has to be a Final Fantasy character in this, either Cloud or Lightning probably.

Zee-Row

Banned
Man they need a fucking Wild Arms character.

br_rudy.jpg

Wild Arms is (or was) a long time running Sony exclusive RPG series. The first three Wild Arms games made a significant splash in the JRPG scene outside of the Final Fantasy series. That and Legend of Legaia...kinda.

This x100 , its a damn insult that him and Arc the Lad aren't in this game.

SmithnCo

I think the criticism about the 3rd parties is valid. Yeah Dante and Raiden are characters who have appeared on Playstation in the past, but at the same time they aren't because instead of repping games that defined Playstation like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 2, they are instead incarnations of the characters that are from unreleased games with new designs and skillsets based on those games.

Basically it feels a bit cheap like the game is a big ad for future 3rd party games. (add in Bioshock Infinite to that as well)

Nobody wants to play as MGS2 Raiden, he plays almost exactly like Snake. MGS4 gave him his own direction so it makes sense to use that basis and his most current design for this game. Not to mention that third parties themselves likely had a lot of say in how they are handled.

It's all cool man. I still have no intention to buy the game either.

but one female character can change the whole thing for me, so who knows? Maybe you'll like more character reveals.

But you said that last time before Kat! :d

I know she isn't confirmed

Yeah Dante and Raiden are characters who have appeared on Playstation in the past, but at the same time they aren't because instead of repping games that defined Playstation like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 2, they are instead incarnations of the characters that are from unreleased games with new designs and skillsets based on those games.
You can bet your ass that everyone would be bitching if Raiden was in and he wasn't a ninja lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Dante's move set depends on what weapons he has in his arsenal. Look at the marvel 3 version using the massive amount of weapons he had in dmc3, that's the Dante that actually represented the playstation. Dino having cancels and combos doesn't mean shit, he has a move set based on DmC and that isnt even going to be something people will appreciate due to the game not being out. Even if they throw in a normal Dante costume, it'd be nothing more than a slap in the face like giving Zero a megaman costume. They had a great character to used but it's being blown on an advertisement. He may still be fun, but hey, so would the actual Dante.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Huh..so this is that happens to PS All-Stars threads...

Edit: Yes to Wild Arms characters and even Vandal Hearts, though I don't think many people played it...ah well.

The people complaining: This game is about the past, present and future of the PS brand AND is a celebration of the third party support that helped make the brand thrive. They even said this themselves. Calm the hell down.
Lol, it's being used as a marketing shill. Let's call a spade a spade.

That being said, Kat is a good character edition if true.

Gameboy415

Future character predictions:

Jake from Resident Evil 6
Connor from Assassin's Creed 3
Someone from Borderlands 2

what other high profile games are coming out soon?

Now that you mention it, including a Resident Evil character would make a lot of sense.
The franchise pretty much got its start on Playstation - I know RE1 was on Saturn as well, but RE2 & RE3 started as PS1 exclusives before being ported to other consoles.

I hope we also see Solid Snake (or hell, Big Boss) in the game at some point as well.
Raiden is great and all, but Snake was a lot of fun in SSBB and he's very much a "Playstation mascot" considering all the Metal Gear Solid games were first released on Sony platforms.

Tomba could be a nice choice for an unexpected/oddball character - his game was a Playstation exclusive, he has a pretty diverse move-set, and his game was just re-released on PSN.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
God damn some of you guys are catty. Jesus Christ.

Whatever. If Hyabusa and Kat are in the game, that's awesome. I really like them both. I think Kat's moveset will be really, really interesting. Looking forward to seeing that.

I imagine Ryu would be pretty fast, just like Dante. Ultimately, I expect him to be a lot of fun to play with.

Fun. Man. I like games that are fun. Fun is like, the most important thing in gaming at the end of the day. I had fun with the PBR beta, using only Kratos (I didn't even touch the other 5 characters, since I really wanted to get a handle on just one of them, and not burn myself out before the original release).

It just bums me out when genuinely fun games get dismissed for what are, to be quite honest, pretty superficial reasons. Not everybody's dream picks are going to be in this game. In the case of a character like Dante, an alt skin of Classic Dante is sure to be in the game.

As someone who has played all 3 DMC games (but not to completion, I admit), and who has also played the new DmC at E3 this year, I have to say that new Dante felt like Dante. I don't know what else to say. It wasn't 100% exact, but he looked and played like the Dante I remember. To be honest, I really enjoyed it. It was kind of a "whatever" on my list, but after getting my hands on it, I'm actually more inclined to pick it up come release. His look, as different as it is, doesn't bother me.

Hell, they changed Cole in inFAMOUS 2, but that didn't deter me from picking it up, and I'm glad, because inFAMOUS 2 kicks ass.

DmC could kick ass. But then again, I'm one of the guys that loved Heavenly Sword, so I don't have this hate boner for Ninja Theory like some of the people here on GAF appear to have. I think they're jackasses, but HS was really awesome. Short, but sweet. I only played the demo of Enslaved, but I'll get around to it eventually. I like to play games for myself, then decide if I like them or not. I'm also of the camp that will always give a developer the benefit of the doubt. Guerrilla Games comes to mind as a developer that had a promising first and second game, but didn't really come into their own until their 3rd and 4th titles, and have been improving ever since.

I'm not going to write off Ninja Theory just yet. And I'm not going to write off SuperBot with their first ever game, that's actually shaping up to be a lot of fun.

Lol, it's being used as a marketing shill. Let's call a spade a spade.

That being said, Kat is a good character edition if true.

Can't argue with that but I find it surprising that so many people have a problem with it. I do get the problem with Dante tho. Not so much Big Daddy, Raiden and possible Ryu. Well I mean I get the problem with Raiden too if people want Snake over him but I don't think it was up to Superbot and ninja Raiden is still up there with awesome 3rd party characters.

Top Bottom