• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That sounds promising. It's something that I wanted for a long while. Being able to let someone borrow a game and vise versa will be cool. Ironic that it's thanks to Microsoft.

JambiBum

Ok so you've got physical right? Physical games as of now can be traded to your friends, sold to whomever, lent or borrowed to whomever, etc.

Microsoft is trying to RESTRICT this, a negative.

Valve is taking digital copies, which are currently MORE RESTRICTIVE and are making them MORE FLEXIBLE, which is positive.

Does that make more sense?

Just for funzies.

Ok so you've got physical right? Physical pc games as of now can't be traded to your friends, can't be sold to whomever, lent or borrowed to whomever, etc.

Valve and every other PC publisher already restricted this, a negative, yet no one really cares.

Microsoft is taking digital copies, which are currently more restrictive and are making them more flexible, which is positive, yet everyone still finds a way to complain about it.

Valve is doing the same thing and people are in love with it.

People should love both options for digital games.

injurai

Banned
You mean the same thing as retail releases of Steam games? When you bought HL2 or any other Valve game in store it was just a license to register on Steam. Sure the disc could be used to install the game but after that it was useless.

For Valve games, putting them on shelves in 100% marketting and exposure. For other games it's just registering them and they often can still be played offline without the disc.

Enectic

Banned
I worded this poorly, I admit. I should have compared it to their actions with physical games in my first comment.

Steam is even more restrictive with physical games than Microsoft. Can't sell/trade/give physical discs bought at stores that use Steam. After you register the game the disc is basically a coaster.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You only need to be online when you want to declare you are done with the game. You don't need to check in every 24 hours. You can play the game for a month offline for example, and when you are done, you log on, tell steam you are done with the game, inform your bro, and your bro can log on to steam to retrieve his game. A perfect implementation of game sharing/borrowing, IMO.
what if someone never comes back online? you wouldn't get your game back. And if they do transfer the license back to the original owner without the borrower coming online there would be two copies out in the wild. Would publishers agree to that? not so sure.

edit: i guess maybe they could make it a set time limit for how long you can have the game, that might work.

But then you can basically give/sell/trade games to friends. He never has to give it back. Also how about if you have a crappy friend and he never gives it back. Sure it's possible but it sounds like it can be a messy process. You can "limit" the amount of time a game can be borrowed but I think that's just a bigger inconvenience.

Just like real life?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You will likely just have to be online to play the game, likely it won't start if you are offline. Wonder how easy it would be to share, and if you can share out multiple games at once. Would likely hurt shorter single player games though, unless publishers have to opt in.

Enectic

Banned
Just like real life?

Yep, sure can with most forms of physical media (barring PC software). I don't think there's a digital service that allows anything like this though and if it really is a digital "sharing" service then I don't think this would be intended.

Just for funzies.

Ok so you've got physical right? Physical pc games as of now can't be traded to your friends, can't be sold to whomever, lent or borrowed to whomever, etc.

Valve and every other PC publisher already restricted this, a negative, yet no one really cares.

Microsoft is taking digital copies, which are currently more restrictive and are making them more flexible, which is positive, yet everyone still finds a way to complain about it.

Steam is even more restrictive with physical games than Microsoft. Can't sell/trade/give physical discs bought at stores that use Steam. After you register the game the disc is basically a coaster.

Right. It's the problem of comparing consoles to PCs in general. CD keys and other DRM have been around on PC in order to prevent piracy, because PCs were so much more open and prone to piracy. Steam is clearly DRM in its own right, and I'm not a fan of that aspect of it (see my praise for GOG), but Microsoft took the idea of sharing games on consoles, which at this point was pretty much open-ended (save recent online passes) and tried to make it more restrictive in order to curb the second hand market moreso than curbing piracy, which is nowhere near as rampant on consoles even though it's more common now than 20 years ago. Steam on the other hand seems to be taking the current, accepted status-quo and making it more friendly. That's the only thing I meant to say, they're trying to improve the current model, while many of Microsoft's actions are making the console model more restrictive.

People kept trying to compare the XBO's policies to Steam as soon it was revealed, and that didn't make much sense either.

Windu

People kept trying to compare the XBO's policies to Steam as soon it was revealed, and that didn't make much sense either.
makes perfect sense. Xbox does not have the sales that steam has but each service is similar. But lets not get into that in this thread.

I foresee a website being created that basically lets people pool their libraries together where you request a game and you're linked with another user sharing that game. I guess there would need to be some sort of library size requirement so it wouldn't be over run with leeches.

That's the kind of thing that I think devs and publishers would be afraid of since lending digitally would be instant and the group of borrowers and lenders is no longer restricted to your location.

Skunkers

Just for funzies.

The difference is: Long before Steam was even a thing, basically all PC games still required a serial key to prevent piracy (because PC games can be installed, and you can make images of the discs). PC gamers never really lost anything with the advent of Steam DRM. The Xbone seeks to change the existing used market by treating disc-based games as digital, even though having the disc inserted should be a valid form of proof of ownership (yet they want you to buy licenses to use the game).

So it's not the same.

Edit: Beaten

Awesome if true!

It's great that digital distribution platforms are going to be doing things like this. I have 350 games on Steam, and I'd love to share some of the gems I've collected with other people. I love that I'll have the same feature on the One too. By the end of this gen, it's going to be insane how many games some of us will have if we're in a sharing group. Our backlogs of games we could play will get even larger!
:'(

I definitely want to hear more details on how Valve is going to implement it. Will they have a similar group system, or can anyone on your friends list check out a game? Can there be multiple people playing a game? Do you have to be online to use this feature?

TBH, I bet this feature is to really help with the Steambox proposition for people. If they released Steam in its current state as a console-esque system, I don't think it would work that well. No multi-user licenses (other accounts playing the games I bought on the steambox) like on Xbox/PS, no used games, etc. This is a step in the right direction though.

Chinner

Banned
nice to see that steam copying xbox one. microsoft is really reinventing the online battle and embarassed steam lately, so this is in the right direction.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The difference is: Long before Steam was even a thing, basically all PC games still required a serial key to prevent piracy (because PC games can be installed, and you can make images of the discs). PC gamers never really lost anything with the advent of Steam DRM. The Xbone seeks to change the existing used market by treating disc-based games as digital, even though having the disc inserted should be a valid form of proof of ownership (yet they want you to buy licenses to use the game).

So it's not the same.

You must be young. I certainly remember a time where PC games were the same as console games. That changed as the internet grew in popularity.

von zipp

fuck I love GAF.

Sometimes there is a thread that just makes you laugh. This would be one of them.

GAF - come for the info, stay for the lols

edit: I should also point out that this is an awesome ideas if true.

Wonko_C

what if someone never comes back online? you wouldn't get your game back. And if they do transfer the license back to the original owner without the borrower coming online there would be two copies out in the wild. Would publishers agree to that? not so sure.

edit: i guess maybe they could make it a set time limit for how long you can have the game, that might work.

Only loan your games to people you trust, I.E. real life friends.

The license wouldn't be able to be transferred back until the borrower logs in, with this system there would always be only one copy running.

SPDIF

Not quite since they are limiting to only 10 family members...
oh microsoft why do you love your restrictions so much?

Well "family" is used loosely. It could be some friend on the other side of the world (or a complete stranger for that matter). But like I said in a previous post I can't see a scenario where you need to lend all of your games to multiple people at once.

And there's presumably nothing stopping you from removing and adding "family" members as you see fit (although there likely will be a minimum number of days between the day added and removed).

statham

nice to see that steam copying xbox one. microsoft is really reinventing the online battle and embarassed steam lately, so this is in the right direction.

chinner, you didn't go far enough, because I agree. unless people laugh at me tomorrow.

Skunkers

You must be young. I certainly remember a time where PC games were the same as console games. That changed as the internet grew in popularity.

31 and you just negated your own point. The advent of easy file sharing through the Internet is what necessitated the use of CD keys in the first place. This wasn't nearly as big a problem before the Internet and hell, before Win95 when most people didn't even have a computer so trading games was much more difficult (remember swapping at computer meets?).

Not quite since they are limiting to only 10 family members...
oh microsoft why do you love your restrictions so much?

Nothing is stopping MS from raising that limit in the future based on competition.

We also don't know what's Steams limits will be. Based on the last line of text, it sounds like they will also have limits in place, just like MS will have. I would guess one of the cases the game is not available is if there are no more shared licenses left. It's not unreasonable in my opinion.

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

Enectic

Banned

So it's not the same.

It wasn't always like that. PC games used to be like console games. Like you said though, the general open nature of the platform (and consistent hardware compatibility with future generations) led to a much faster implementation of DRM. Consoles have been more resistant to piracy but definitely not immune. You can do a quick Google search and find instructions on how to mod/flash your console and also find torrents for almost any game. If you don't want to do all that work then "premade" consoles are sold through various circuits or you can have someone do it for a price. Piracy is getting to be a pretty big problem with consoles. Sure, things restart whenever a new console is released but it always follows the same cycle. Eventually the console gets hacked and the floodgates are opened. Here's an interesting write up that compares PC and console piracy:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

Steam and consoles are definitely not comparable on a one to one basis...but they are similar.

JambiBum

So it's not the same.

Except this is the whole issue at hand now. People fucking hated steam when it first released. Then once they made the service better and everyone got used to it people grew to love it. Trading in games is just so ingrained into people's minds that Microsoft taking that away from them is a huge deal. People who game primarily on the pc mostly don't give a damn with what is happening in the console market right now. It doesn't do anything to change their ecosystem, except with Steam possibly adding in the game sharing thing like MS is doing. PC is already pretty much an all digital platform and no one really cares. Consoles are eventually going to catch up in that regard as well and that's what I see MS pushing now. Is it going to be better than having disc versions of games? Probably not right away. I imagine with time it will no longer be an issue. Just like with what happened with steam.

Jintor

Iirc there never really was a major used game market with PC games in the first place so PC consumers never really cared.

Swifty

So it's not the same.

At least CD keys were still transferable before Steam. These days, once you register a Steam key to an account, it's locked to it forever.

Windu

Only loan your games to people you trust, I.E. real life friends.

The license wouldn't be able to be transferred back until the borrower logs in, with this system there would always be only one copy running.
yeah that would be the only way it would work without online checks. I would rather have the checks in place so I would feel safe trading with anyone though.

Smash88

Banned
Despite my love for Steam and Valve, I'm genuinely curious what the true reason behind this is. Is it to become more competitive with Sony or to become a more lucrative and appealing digital store compared to others or is there a financial reason behind this.

I'm sure publishers will be the ones who decide if you can share their games or not. If so, how many will actually hop on board for this initiative? I'm really curious and at the same time excited at the potential of this.

I also wonder how much of an impact has Sony had on Valve's decision to implement this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom