• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since someone else bumped this and demonstrated their inability to read timestamps, might be worthwhile putting the latest bit of grit from the rumour mill:
Found it on Reddit. Don't know if it is fake or legit.

UZVcqWs.png
Got hype?

Uh that was not confirmed.

To be fair, a) it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the pie-in-the-sky plan Microsoft fanboys were implying, b) CBoaT indicated a 60 minute time limit, and c) y'all responding to posts made before said revelations.

Why is everyone saying MS "did" it first, when they just said it would be possible to share, when then it was discovered you could share it for 1 HOUR !!?!?!?!

MS didnt do anything.

You know that was never confirmed right. In fact you actually had all of their employees and executives coming out and saying otherwise. Companies don't lie, they stretch the truth, but they don't lie because doing so will get them sued.

DTKT

Since someone else bumped this and demonstrated their inability to read timestamps, might be worthwhile putting the latest bit of grit from the rumour mill:

Got hype?

That screen has nothing to do with game sharing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1ildbi/noticed_this_in_the_last_beta_version_are_they/

One of the Valve guys posted something about it the other day but I can't find it now, afaik it's just to show you the games that are installed on the computer that you don't actually own on your current account, instead of having them mixed in with your games.

Which was confirmed by a Valve employee.

Anteo

You know that was never confirmed right. In fact you actually had all of their employees and executives coming out and saying otherwise. Companies don't lie, they stretch the truth, but they don't lie because doing so will get them sued.

So I guess you don't trust CBOAT
#TeamCBOAT

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
lol

So I guess you don't trust CBOAT
#TeamCBOAT

I do things on a case by case basis. Im not a fan of people just being herded around like sheep following the words of any old person, no matter how reliable or right they are. Even CBOAT himself is not correct 100% of the time. Thats not to say I never go off of his word, I have gone off it a few times, but on those times I have also done my own research (in addition to using simple logic) that led me to believe that he was correct. In this case, I personally believe he was wrong about it because like I said, companies tend not to lie. They stretch the truth, but they dont like being sued; especially in big things like a $500 Console.

If they come out and say that it wasn't trials, they are expected to deliver it as not trials. If they didn't, its a large multi billion dollar lawsuit for misleading consumers.

#TeamNoone

---
Anyhow, back on topic. If anyone knew anything about the computer sciences, they would know that it takes time to develop software. If Valve is doing this, they would have started it long before the May 21st reveal. So really, both companies just came to a similar end in the way that they believe the digital industry will end up going.

Eusis

It's a feature not in the final product and one they never fully clarified. I'm sure if they really did stick with it we would've found out officially about the one hour limit before release, assuming its (likely) inclusion.

It's never happening, so they might as well claim that the controller doubled as a live unicorn.

scitek

I do things on a case by case basis. Im not a fan of people just being herded around like sheep following the words of any old person, no matter how reliable or right they are. Even CBOAT himself is not correct 100% of the time. Thats not to say I never go off of his word, I have gone off it a few times, but on those times I have also done my own research (in addition to using simple logic) that led me to believe that he was correct. In this case, I personally believe he was wrong about it because like I said, companies tend not to lie. They stretch the truth, but they dont like being sued; especially in big things like a $500 Console.

If they come out and say that it wasn't trials, they are expected to deliver it as not trials. If they didn't, its a large multi billion dollar lawsuit for misleading consumers.

#TeamNoone

I don't think CBOAT's ever really "Wrong." He/she obviously is privy to inside information, but sometimes things change on the fly, and are pulled in favor of things that are more complete or ready to be shown to the public. Like last year when he/she said Dead Rising 3 would show and it didn't. It turns out the game actually did exist as an Xbox 360 title, but it was pulled in favor of making a next-gen title instead. CBOAT isn't guessing at anything, he/she is simply relaying the most recent information that was available.

quickwhips

To be fair, a) it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the pie-in-the-sky plan Microsoft fanboys were implying, b) CBoaT indicated a 60 minute time limit, and c) y'all responding to posts made before said revelations.

If you read cboat post it says something but it doesn't say it was only 60 minutes. some guy just said that when he translated it....

legend166

You know companies are made up of?

Human beings.

You know what group lies a lot?

Human beings.

I really cant understand why the praise for MS on this.

I mean, they just said "family sharing" and everyone filled the void "ahhh it must be this or that" but nothing was really clarified.

Do you really believe, after the 60 min leak, they would come out and say "Yup..that was it...sorry we cant do it anymore...:/"

Cmon people, you're smarter than this.

*Isnt steam still in court to allow digital resale ?!

Orayn

*Isnt steam still in court to allow digital resale ?!

Not in court, they were just issued their FINAL WARNING from a German consumer rights organization who want to apply a ruling on reselling software keys to them. It has the same implications for basically all digital content, by the way, so Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are technically also "in court to allow digital resale" for DLC and downloadable games.

Nothing will come of it, most likely.

Chobel

#TeamNoone

They'll get sued only if they lied and released it as trials, but they didn't release shit and they can lie however they like and no one will sue them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Megaton if true. I've beaten probably 10% of my library.

Why is everyone saying MS "did" it first, when they just said it would be possible to share, when then it was discovered you could share it for 1 HOUR !!?!?!?!

MS didnt do anything.
Well, most of those comments were from June 20th... the same day the 60 minutes Pastebin was posted. It's possible it hadn't made the rounds enough for them to notice it.

@____@

Banned

You lyin, right?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

#TeamNoone

---
Anyhow, back on topic. If anyone knew anything about the computer sciences, they would know that it takes time to develop software. If Valve is doing this, they would have started it long before the May 21st reveal. So really, both companies just came to a similar end in the way that they believe the digital industry will end up going.
this is absolutely adorable.

Grief.exe

Valve has probably been developing this since the lawsuits in Europe last year.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's ironic that MS probably pushed Valve to get this out a bit sooner, but that MS is no longer pursuing this.

I'll probably skip the beta, though.

This would be good at keeping my account secure. Instead of handing over my entire account to someone, I can share just one game.

Well, not entirely the case -- you share the entire library, not one title.
Many thanks for the heads up. I finally lern2reed with the Steam ui strings. Fair enough, Valve. Fair enough.

I'm primarily satisfied by the fact that a VAC ban from one account borrowing my library won't affect me as harshly or at all. That's obviously an assumption. I would imagine they're testing out different scenarios where one can abuse the share system for whatever unfair gain.

edit: nevermind, it was already announced. Praise whatever made this become what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom