• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

I can't imagine you'd be able to do this with every game, it's probably something the publisher would have to opt into. And if you can, someone that owns Bioshock Infinite needs to be my friend.

Sounds awesome if true but I fully expect publishers and developers to be allowed to opt in or out and I suspect most of them would decide not to participate.

Its a good thing for us gamers but I have trouble understanding the financial incentive for these companies. it just seems like they are asking to hurt their bottom line for no return down the line.

Great to see Steam catching up to Xbone :p

Hopefully Valve will start charging for multiplayer soon.

itghVtchpOSoa.gif

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, but unfortunately Steam then made the change from Buying to Borrowing in the ToS. So technically they only let you borrow the games you purchase, I think to prevent legal stuff from biting them in their ass

I doubt that holds any weight in a court, ToS/EULAs mean jack shit legally.

Shambles

Until these 'game borrowing' systems are implemented and we know exactly what they mean they are meaningless. I'm just waiting for some catch on the bone to make it useless and it will likely take Valve another 5 years to implement theirs.

Sentenza

There is no difference. That's the problem with most posts in this thread. The feature is the same. It's like people don't know how (or want to) separate the bad from the good when it comes to the X1. The 24 hour policy is shit. It shouldn't exist. The game sharing thing is great in theory but people can't seem to separate the two. It's the same thing with Sony charging for online now but in reverse. They announced the used games thing and slid the charging for online part in there and no one really noticed because of how huge the used games announcement was.
There is a difference and that difference is context. Context matters, always, regardless of how desperately some of you may struggle to argue otherwise.
The "subtle" variation in context here is open platforms vs closed ones and a proven track record to be pro-consumer with long term policies vs a certain tendency to fuck people over and over.
But we already had this conversation a million times in the past weeks with that bullshit comparison "XBOX ONE is just like Steam" so I'm not really going to dive into another one.

Grief.exe

There is no difference. That's the problem with most posts in this thread. The feature is the same. It's like people don't know how (or want to) separate the bad from the good when it comes to the X1. The 24 hour policy is shit. It shouldn't exist. The game sharing thing is great in theory but people can't seem to separate the two. It's the same thing with Sony charging for online now but in reverse. They announced the used games thing and slid the charging for online part in there and no one really noticed because of how huge the used games announcement was.

At least you can justify paying for online next-generation.

Both companies are ponying up for huge am mounts of dedicated servers, and you get free games every month as well.

This generation I judged you negatively if you paid for live.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
At least you can justify paying for online next-generation.

Both companies are ponying up for huge am mounts of dedicated servers, and you get free games every month as well.

This generation I judged you negatively if you paid for live.
No, you still can't justify it. Dedicated servers are nice, but if Sony and MS want to charge for them, they should still offer a free multiplayer option over a P2P connection, like they did with current consoles.

And the free games have nothing to do with paid multiplayer. The former can still be true without the latter.

Grief.exe

Steam is probably doing this because of Microsoft...

That's about right.

Very doubtful.

Its more likely in response to the European courts ruling that consumers have the right to sell or trade their software licences.

Buying and reselling any form of digital software is perfectly legal, the Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled. Software authors – or in the gaming world, publishers – can not stop customers from reselling their games, even if the publisher attaches an End User License Agreement prohibiting resale.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-rules-its-legal-to-resell-digital-games-software/

shandy706

I would like to personally thank Microsoft (edit: and the European courts) for this.

Finally my wife and I can play on my steam account, online, at the same time.

.....if true.

Mrbob

Yeah, I'm sure Valve just thought of game sharing right after the MS conference last week. This will be the first step towards users selling digital content they own.

More than likely the real reason is because they don't want to get hit by a lawsuit. If digital rights don't change, someone is getting taken to court. Even if they win, it is still bad PR and a bunch of money wasted.

dorkimoe

There is no way this can happen, and if it does its going to cost extra or have huge limitations.

I would love this though, even if it gave me 2 hour time limit to try a game

szaromir

Banned
There is a difference and that difference is context. Context matters, always, regardless of how desperately some of you may struggle to argue otherwise.
The "subtle" variation in context here is open platforms vs closed ones and a proven track record to be pro-consumer with long term policies vs a certain tendency to fuck people over and over.
But we already had this conversation a million times in the past weeks with that bullshit comparison "XBOX ONE is just like Steam" so I'm not really going to dive into another one.
Are you calling the company that locks the player out of his games library if he disagrees with the updated terms of service "pro-consumer"? LMAO.

Grief.exe

Steam vs. Xbone?

Did Valve just challenged MS?

Its more likely in response to the European courts ruling that consumers have the right to sell or trade their software licences.

Buying and reselling any form of digital software is perfectly legal, the Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled. Software authors – or in the gaming world, publishers – can not stop customers from reselling their games, even if the publisher attaches an End User License Agreement prohibiting resale.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-rules-its-legal-to-resell-digital-games-software/

Igo

At least CD keys were still transferable before Steam. These days, once you register a Steam key to an account, it's locked to it forever.
Midtown Madness 2 had restrictive DRM back in 2000. Can't find any info but I remember my friend being unable to install or play after I had installed on my comp first.

This game borrowing shit doesn't go far enough. I won't be completely happy until I can unlink my game/key from steam and sell it privately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Might be cool. Let a friend try a multiplayer game for a short-bit instead of like an hour or a day like the old Steam trials.

Double so in letting them rent titles after you're done.

Igo said:
This game borrowing shit doesn't go far enough. I won't be completely happy until I can unlink my game/key from steam and sell it privately.

Babysteps. Eventually (maybe in another ten years?) you'll be able to sell your digital titles back to Steam for 50% back, maybe?

Um, Microsoft allow sharing with 10 people, with 2 playing at the same time.

Just so this doesn't go unnoticed, no.. no you can't. You could have shared with 10 people with only one person at a time, but that was before Microsoft dropped sharing all together today. Now Steam is blazing the trail solo if they want to venture into digital sharing.

So, if I get a hamburguer it's the same no matter if I came from having steak or having rat meat?

Steam: upgrade

XB1: downgrade (speaking of physical games)

EDIT: NVM I guess, lmao.

Well Xbox no longer supports sharing games so I guess Steam can cancel this feature.

Please linky!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I hope one day we'll be able to trade our games(in the library) for steam wallet credits

From your mouth to Gaben's ears.

It would make me feel bad for that OCD guy who got so pissed about one game that he had that he recreated and rebought his entire Steam account.

Randdalf

The difference between Steam and the Xbone is that Steam is and always will be a digital-first platform, with all the restrictions and benefits that come with that. Trying to transition from the freedom of disc-based games to a more restrictive digital service, even if it came with perks, is always going to be a stumbling block for Microsoft. If they really truly wanted to go with a Steam-like model, Microsoft should have released a cheaper Xbone without a disc drive.

Why is everyone saying MS "did" it first, when they just said it would be possible to share, when then it was discovered you could share it for 1 HOUR !!?!?!?!

MS didnt do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom