• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ubisoft having some trouble bringing Steep to Switch

At this point it's pointless to release this port. Ubisoft would be wise to cancel it. It was an obvious test/DOA game to be used as excuse to pull off support if Switch flopped.

I'm Amped that they're still trying.

kbsKPNc1LhM1GdTH9yV9Z7df5Tw.gif

ayyyyyyy

of all their currently known games, Steep is the most baffling choice for the Switch. I figured Either of the South Park games would have been announced before Steep.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I wish they woulda just did us a quick Rayman and left Steep on the shelf. Sucks that they're struggling so much with a game that, I imagine, not many would buy on Switch.

Steep sold like garbage so honestly surprised that alone didn't kill it on Switch. The online stuff being basically the entire game is another big issues. Ubisoft would be better cutting their losses on it and do something like South park instead

Seriously South Park made way more sense then Steep.

Bahorel

I'm sort of hoping they'll do an updated physical edition that has the Olympics dlc and all the others on it too :0

A game that's heavily based on being online coming to a hybrid was always weird. It also never really made a splash at all.

If you're going through the effort to try to port the game why not the South Park games on even attempt a Watch Dogs 2 port.

The sales potential of those seem much greater than a Steep port.

nynt9

But I thought the Switch was really powerful.

It's significantly less powerful than the Xbone in several aspects, so games that don't have very good performance on that machine (like Steep being 900p30) are going to be an even harder bet for the switch. It's a matter of how much the developers are willing to downgrade, if they can at all, and whether the end result will still be palatable enough to make enough money for the extra porting effort.

I am still wondering why they chose this game to port in the first place.
I think that's what most people are wondering. Nothing against the game but I don't think many people cared much for it when it came out and, by the time it may come out, hardly anyone will care. Would have made more sense to bring over the Southpark games or something

I think that's what most people are wondering. Nothing against the game but I don't think many people cared much for it when it came out and, by the time it may come out, hardly anyone will care. Would have made more sense to bring over the Southpark games or something

I feel about the same. I didn't even know this game was a thing until this past E3, and even after finding out about it, I'm struggling to care. Maybe there's a market for it somehwere.

Hey, they already soldiered through someone literally dying for this shit game, have faith! Gotta recoup that dev money no matter what the cost!

I feel about the same. I didn't even know this game was a thing until this past E3, and even after finding out about it, I'm struggling to care. Maybe there's a market for it somehwere.
Perhaps there could be if they can make it appeal to people who liked SSX or 1080? I remember some people, myself included, enjoying SSX at least

Until the announcement of the expansion at E3, I completely forgot that it had come out. Had to actually look it up during the press conference.

That probably shows how little I care about this game.

jdstorm

Banned
I have played a bunch of Steep and its one of my favourite games this gen. I would also definitely buy a Switch version (as i indicated in the survey that came with the Alpha/Beta which is likely the reason Steep was being considered for a port in the first place.)

I highly doubt its a hardware issue since steep is relitively simple and Watch Dogs ran pretty well on the Wii U.

If i had to take a guess at the issue its probably this. Nintendo/Ubisoft likely want players to be able to play co operatively in a local network similar to what they have shown on commercials for Splatoon and Mario Kart. That would mean that Steep's development team would have to take this always online game and make it availiable offline and have the Switch's CPU maintain many of the network features currently done by UBI servers while also trying to render the game.

That seems a tough ask given that Steep is pushing current gen CPUs pretty hard to maintain its draw distances.

Yeah, no surprise that porting a game which demands a constant internet connection even in single player to a portable system hit a brick wall.

Lynd7

Should cancel it and do something else that doesn't have such a heavy online need? Maybe Nintendo should have tapped the team to make a quick 1080 game?

vern

No wonder our very own Vern thought it was cancelled.

It was always an odd choice for a port anyway.

Pretty sure that I mentioned on GAF prior to this game even being announced to exist, that it had been in development and then cancelled, not due to technical problems, but due to it flopping on the other platforms and Ubi trying to cut its losses. The fact that it ever got announced baffled me...as far as I know from my contact it was never put back into development after it was shelved, unless they farmed it off to some port factory in Bangaladesh or something.

Gleethor

Pretty sure that I mentioned on GAF prior to this game even being announced to exist, that it had been in development and then cancelled, not due to technical problems, but due to it flopping on the other platforms and Ubi trying to cut its losses. The fact that it ever got announced baffled me...as far as I know from my contact it was never put back into development after it was shelved, unless they farmed it off to some port factory in Bangaladesh or something.
Strange. Thanks for the info.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Might be the one game that people have not been asking for on Switch.

Switch gets snowed again. I am snow board of waiting for this game. Maybe an avalanche of tweets to Ubi will cause a flurry of renewed interest in this port from whatever business mogul runs Ubisoft. Otherwise, icy ubisoft's switch reputation going downhill fast.They're on thin ice with me. Alpine over this game if the port takes a powder.

Rocket League is coming to Switch(with crossplay, no less) so I'm not sure what is leading you all to have these sorts of thoughts.

Disn't DQX get announced for Japan? No reason an online only game can't make it on Switch.

Edit: That said I wasn't particularly excited for this so I'm not gonna be upset if its cancelled. Wonder what else Ubisoft will bring to Switch. I'm sure they want a presence on the system.

Top Bottom