• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ubisoft having some trouble bringing Steep to Switch

Always seemed like a questionable port. Switch just isn't a machine for AAA PS4 ports

No way switch could ever do it without radical cutbacks anyway. Nintendo crazies would cry LAZY DEV and not buy it. No one would be surprised when it bombed.

Buggy Loop

Always seemed like a questionable port. Switch just isn't a machine for AAA PS4 ports

No way switch could ever do it without radical cutbacks anyway. Nintendo crazies would cry LAZY DEV and not buy it. No one would be surprised when it bombed.

But the game already bombed hard, this winter... I think that has more to do with overall efforts to continue with this port than hardware.

http://fr.ign.com/steep-switch/26945/news/steep-en-difficulte-sur-nintendo-switch
Bold part are bold in the original article
IGN France said:
Selon nos informations, cette absence de nouvelles concernant la version Switch de Steep serait due à de grosses difficultés pour faire tourner le jeu sur la console de Nintendo. Le développement serait néanmoins toujours en cours, et Ubisoft travaillerait mains dans la main avec le constructeur japonais pour réussir ce portage, notamment du côté des fonctionnalités en ligne.
Literal translation (no flavor):
Based on our informations, that lack of news concerning the Switch version of Steep would be due to large difficulties to make the game run on Nintendo's console. The development would be nonetheless still ongoing, and Ubisoft would be working hand-in-hand with the japanese builder to make this port successful, notably on the side of online functionalities.​

flozuki

People keep saying it bombed but it performed above expectations and is still getting DLC...

Gotta feed "all" the people that bought the Gold edition for 20 bucks at Ubi directly I guess. I hardly can imagine it performed above expectations.

gtj1092

Bold part are bold in the original article
http://fr.ign.com/steep-switch/26945/news/steep-en-difficulte-sur-nintendo-switch

Literal translation (no flavor):
Based on our informations, that lack of news concerning the Switch version of Steep would be due to large difficulties to make the game run on Nintendo's console. The development would be nonetheless still ongoing, and Ubisoft would be working hand-in-hand with the japanese builder to make this port successful, notably on the side of online functionalities.​

I take it you speak French correct? Is this your translation?

SentryDown

Gotta feed "all" the people that bought the Gold edition for 20 bucks at Ubi directly I guess. I hardly can imagine it performed above expectations.

It's a sport game, it can definitely fly under the radar and have good sales during Christmas/Winter period. People said the same about The Crew and here we are.

DirtyLarry

Yeah not sure why people are poo pooing on the actual game itself. It had a somewhat rocky launch but with the DLC it has wound up being a great game.

I for one was looking forward to picking it up for some portable play even though I already own the Gold Edition for the PS4.

Really hoping they can hammer this out and get it to the switch, hopefully with DLC included at this point. I played a lot of the base content & free Alaska DLC on PS4 and I've been loving the game. It's no SSX or 1080, but it's a fun relaxing exploration game which I find it easy to get lost in. With the recently announced Olympic DLC there's more reason to jump back in.

This is probably the first instance we've had of a developer claiming power was an issue with ports. We get it, you don't like the Switch. And Steep is a AAA game now??

pswii60

And you are basing this statement on....????

He is probably basing the statement on the lack of AAA current-gen ports either available on, or announced for, Switch.

That said, Steep isn't AAA. And we've seen developers seemingly easily downgrade current-gen games to fit them on Switch, like Dragon Quest Heroes.

EDIT: Just seen the rest of his post and the guy obviously has an agenda. Please now ignore my defence of him above.

Depends entirely on the game, anything that runs at 1080/60 on x bone should be easy enough to do at least with a res/framerate cut, although in this case its already bellow on bone so much harder to do

And you are basing this statement on....????

He is probably basing the statement on the lack of AAA current-gen ports either available on, or announced for, Switch.

That said, Steep isn't AAA. And we've seen developers seemingly easily downgrade current-gen games to fit them on Switch, like Dragon Quest Heroes.

EDIT: Just seen the rest of his quote and the guy obviously has an agenda. Please now ignore my defence of him above.

His statement was controversial? Seriously guys? I mean Switch will never run AAAs as well as PS4/Xbone, but that's OK. Mario Kart looks amazing not because of raw power of Switch, but because developers know exactly how to use that hardware and can provide amazing art. I don't want new AC on Switch, I want more innovation on this platform.

Nategc20

Banned
It would probably be more worth it to just do another collaboration and work with Nintendo to make another 1080° without some of the online aspects.

Use their experience of this port of what they can and cannot achieve on the platform.
Yea. Just make a 1080 snowboarding game if this project is well in development and Ubisoft wants no part of it. May as well.

Doctre81

His statement was controversial? Seriously guys? I mean Switch will never run AAAs as well as PS4/Xbone, but that's OK. Mario Kart looks amazing not because of raw power of Switch, but because developers know exactly how to use that hardware and can provide amazing art. I don't want new AC on Switch, I want more innovation on this platform.

There is a difefrence between as well as and the abillity to run them at all. No one is saying or expecting ports to look as food as they do on the other systems. That's not even realistic. But switch could def run a lot of these games. Especially if they are unreal engine 4.

ElNino

That said, Steep isn't AAA.
What makes you say that? Seemed like a pretty big release to me with a healthy budget. I've enjoyed what I've played of it as well.

There is a difefrence between as well as and the abillity to run them at all. No one is saying or expecting ports to look as food as they do on the other systems. That's not even realistic. But switch could def run a lot of these games. Especially if they are unreal engine 4.

But who even wants that? Why buy inferior versions when you can find used Xbox or PS4 for little over $100? I want to meet that person who is CRUSHED because Steep isn't out on Switch. LOL

tkscz

I'm confused why they announced this for Switch so early on without even knowing if they could get it to run on the thing.

Probably had it at one point but ran into something later in development. The fact that they are still working on it means they might be able to work around the issue, just taking longer than they thought it would. From a business stand point, not sure why bother. Steep was not a successful game and has pretty much been forgotten by most.

But who even wants that? Why buy inferior versions when you can find used Xbox or PS4 for little over $100? I want to meet that person who is CRUSHED because Steep isn't out on Switch. LOL

To have it on the go. Rocket League is going to be 720p on Switch, but being able to take Rocket League with you is what people are wanting. Slight graphical downgrades be damned.

Doctre81

Did you ask the same question to ps1 owners who bought multiplats there over an n64? And you can't play your ps4 and xbox games anywhere like switch now can you? People have preferences dude.

Probably had it at one point but ran into something later in development. The fact that they are still working on it means they might be able to work around the issue, just taking longer than they thought it would. From a business stand point, not sure why bother. Steep was not a successful game and has pretty much been forgotten by most.

To have it on the go. Rocket League is going to be 720p on Switch, but being able to take Rocket League with you is what people are wanting. Slight graphical downgrades be damned.

Did you ask the same question to ps1 owners who bought multiplats there over an n64? And you can't play your ps4 and xbox games anywhere like switch now can you? People have preferences dude.

I mean if there was possibility of new Assassin's Creed running well on Switch I could see this argument, but I just don't see it happening. At best you will get FIFA and few "light" COD games on Switch... Plus those big games are meant to be play on big ass TV, portability kind of defeats the purpose.

probably due to the whole infrastructure of the game is based on being connected online right?

well when I'm sitting in a field, I have no net, i have no steep.

Doctre81

I mean if there was possibility of new Assassin's Creed running well on Switch I could see this argument, but I just don't see it happening. At best you will get FIFA and few "light" COD games on Switch... Plus those big games are meant to be play on big ass TV, portability kind of defeats the purpose.

switch games look fine on a tv. In fact my switch is docked 95% of the time

DirtyLarry

I actually had not played Steep in awhile thanks to getting a Switch and playing nothing but BOTW, and playing it now since I last posted, especially with the newer DLC, it is actually a perfect game for the Switch. The DLC introduces a lot of little "mini games" in addition to having the base game of just pure snowboarding Bliss. So yeah, I actually do hope they can get it ported as I will no doubt double dip.

Peterthumpa

You mean, like Breath of the Wild huh?

switch games look fine on a tv. In fact my switch is docked 95% of the time

It looks great. Mario Kart on 4K TV looks very good even when compared to native 4K HDR WipeOut! But the reason why it looks good are very different. It's art direction rather than a bunch of pixels thrown on a screen.

You mean, like Breath of the Wild huh?

Do you really think that from pure HD graphics perspective Breath of the Wild looks as good as new AC? I think that artistically Breath of the Wild looks much better, but graphically it's not even in the same league. Which I'm OK with. I always prefer art to pure "graphics".

Do you really think that from pure HD graphics perspective Breath of the Wild looks as good as new AC? I think that artistically Breath of the Wild looks much better, but graphically it's not even in the same league. Which I'm OK with. I always prefer art to pure "graphics".
He meant that Zelda is also a big game that's meant to be played on a TV...and it can but it can also be played on a portable system

He meant that Zelda is also a big game that's meant to be played on a TV...and it can but it can also be played on a portable system

I was specifically talking " big AAAs" that "could be ported to Switch". Not sure what Zelda has to do with that. Are we just going to keep changing topics?

jmizzal

This doesn't bode well for other potential ports. Hopefully they can get all the issues resolved.

Ubisoft Snowdrop engine looks to run great on Switch with Rabbids and Starlink battle, so I suspect most games using that would be smooth ports and Ubisoft will use it for any Switch exclusive games like Rabbids x Mario

"including the game’s online features"

So is it a problem related to the incomplete Switch online features or the system power?

Switch has easily enough power for this game and Switch has several online games that all work very well.

Probably it has only to do with the developers experience. Ubisoft has probably not instructed their best team to port this game.

Hermii

Ubisoft Snowdrop engine looks to run great on Switch with Rabbids and Starlink battle, so I suspect most games using that would be smooth ports and Ubisoft will use it for any Switch exclusive games like Rabbids x Mario

There is a difference between an exclusive game tailored for a specific hardware, and a multiplatform game made with xbox one as the lowest common denominator ever if they are using the same engine.

nampad

The Switch is weaker than the other consoles (to be fair, it is portable) so no one should be surprised if some games can't be ported well.
I guess some Switch fans should finally accept that or else there will be a lot of disappointments.

Haven't really followed Steep though, what makes it so power hungry?

Top Bottom