• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ubisoft having some trouble bringing Steep to Switch

TDLink

The only part specifically mentioned is online features though. So the problem may not be the system itself.

No. The quote, again is:

IGN notes that Ubisoft has encountered difficulties having Steep run on Switch. Development continues however, and Nintendo is apparently lending its assistance, including the game's online features.

The way it reads, they've encountered difficulties having the game run on the system. Period.

The online features part is saying Nintendo is "Apparently" lending assistance with it.

These are two separate statements. Nintendo helping with the online and the game having problems running on the system.

mieumieu

Not a surprising rumor, it is coming from a lazy and incompetent developer.

Says who? did you work there?

I didnt but I happened to meet some of Ubisoft people back when I worked 65 hours a week for a game. They said we didnt work as long hours as them which surprises me.

EDarkness

No. The quote, again is:

The way it reads, they've encountered difficulties having the game run on the system. Period.

The online features part is saying Nintendo is "Apparently" lending assistance with it.

These are two separate statements. Nintendo helping with the online and the game having problems running on the system.

Without knowing more, we really don't know enough to draw any real conclusions as to what's really causing the problem. It could be as simple as trying to force an always online game into being a game that's sometimes online and sometimes not which wasn't how the game was designed. Changing essential systems to make those kinds of changes may not be as easy or as cut and dried as we would like to believe.

iMerc

uuhh it's a game that was primarily developed on hardware that is a generation ahead of the switch. of course there would be difficulty bringing it over, right?
not knocking the switch as it's a great system, but come on; without some 'downsizing' this game isn't going to run as you know it today.

strange choice for a port though. why not just make an Assasins Creed compilation, or port that Ezio trilogy thing. I'm sure people wouldn't mind playing that on the system.

jdstorm

Banned
uuhh it's a game that was primarily developed on hardware that is a generation ahead of the switch. of course there would be difficulty bringing it over, right?
not knocking the switch as it's a great system, but come on; without some 'downsizing' this game isn't going to run as you know it today.

strange choice for a port though. why not just make an Assasins Creed compilation, or port that Ezio trilogy thing. I'm sure people wouldn't mind playing that on the system.

The reason Steep was likely chosen as a port would be that if successful it would show 3rd parties that sports games were viable on the platform. Aditionally Steep is a platformer and thats a genre that does well on Nintendo consoles.

Assasins Creed was likely never comming since AC3 and AC4 tanked on the WiiU after reasonable efforts by ubisoft. Ghost Recon Wildlands at launch would have made the most sense, but even that presents issues since the belief that shooters/MA games dont sell on Nintendo consoles is widely held and thanks to the WiiU was supported by statistics.

bomblord1

Banned
No. The quote, again is:

The quote is

IGN notes that Ubisoft has encountered difficulties having Steep run on Switch. Development continues however, and Nintendo is apparently lending its assistance, including the game's online features.

This is one connected statement saying that they are having issues and Nintendo is assisting with the online. Meaning the only part we know for sure is having issues is online as I said.

gtj1092

The quote is

This is one connected statement saying that they are having issues and Nintendo is assisting with the online. Meaning the only part we know for sure is having issues is online as I said.

There are periods in the statement. Also it says including which to implies more issues than just online. If it was only online issues the first part of the statement wouldn't be necessary. They could of just wrote "Nintendo is helping to get the online working". Contrary to what many want to believe dropping resolutions of games to 720p will not make every game run perfectly on Switch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So, I guess the problems have something to do with their requirement for always online? Removing that for the switch I guess could be a problem.

LordKano

I wouldn't take IGN France as a reliable source if no one else is relaying that, even though the absence of information on Steep is surely concernng.

EDIT : the original meaning (in French) of the quote you're discussing is that main issues might be tied (at least partly) to online, and that Nintendo is helping out on that.

bomblord1

Banned
There are periods in the statement. Also it says including which to implies more issues than just online. If it was only online issues the first part of the statement wouldn't be necessary. They could of just wrote "Nintendo is helping to get the online working". Contrary to what many want to believe dropping resolutions of games to 720p will not make every game run perfectly on Switch.

Yes you typically put periods at the end of sentences. However, even though what I'm saying here and the previous sentence have periods in between they are still 1 connected statement.

faint.

Sucks for those that were looking forward to this. I always considered it a strange port to begin with. Not really a Ubi fan but they had plenty of other IP that would have made more sense on Switch.

I fuckin' love STEEP. The dlc they've added since release has been awesome. Things like a mini story mode with characters ripped straight out of a Blood Dragon game, boss fights, new things to use like sleds and jetpacks, stupid costumes, a whole new location, and more.

Hold on a second.

Boss fights?

In a winter sports game?

...You have my attention.

Lifeline

And people think Monster Hunter World will be a easy port to Switch.

Instead of porting these games, hopefully publishers start using the money to fund new switch games instead. Even if they get this working, I don't see why anyone would want to play a gimped version of Steep.

Instantly thought of this gif

360_moonwalk.gif

LOL! Would have been perfect had the the ring turned red once his eyesight reached it.

And people think Monster Hunter World will be a easy port to Switch.

Instead of porting these games, hopefully publishers start using the money to fund new switch games instead. Even if they get this working, I don't see why anyone would want to play a gimped version of Steep.

You really want to go down that road? There's nothing in MHW that looks out of depth for a tegra.

Taker666

Silly game to port anyway (as is Rayman).

Should have just gone for something more current and less demanding (and more likely to sell) like South Park.

18-Volt

Damn. Switch already has limited number of releases this fall, one less is not a good thing at all. I love my Switch and I want to play games on this thing but for me, it looks like it's going to be a hard thing to do.

I hope we will see actual releases of Steep and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 this fall.

Hermii

Silly game to port anyway (as is Rayman).

Should have just gone for something more current and less demanding (and more likely to sell) like South Park.
Rayman is still an amazing plattformer with a timeless art style that doesn't need a lot of horsepower to look great. For a straight port it probably doesn't need to sell a ton to make a profit. A good choice imo.

-Setsuna-

Isn't the biggest problem here the "always online" aspect of the game?
Not particularly suited to a handheld/hybrid system.

Damn. Switch already has limited number of releases this fall, one less is not a good thing at all.
You're joking, right?

Isn't it an always online game like Destiny? Or pseudo-online, whatever you want to call it.I can see why having a constant connection would be a problem, especially given Nintendo's assistance with their online infrastructure.

Best wishes.

Isn't the biggest problem here the "always online" aspect of the game?
Not particularly suited to a handheld/hybrid system.

You're joking, right?

Isn't it an always online game like Destiny? Or pseudo-online, whatever you want to call it.I can see why having a constant connection would be a problem, especially given Nintendo's assistance with their online infrastructure.

Best wishes.
Again, Dragon Quest X.

jdstorm

Banned
Hold on a second.

Boss fights?

In a winter sports game?

...You have my attention.

The 2nd DLC pack was called Winterfest and introduced some more Dynamic Area's and had you compete against 5 bosses in various race/high score challenges while wearing crazy costumes.

The most recent Xtreme DLC dropped a few days ago though and its legitimately Awesome. You now have an unlimited use jetpack and Para-Skiing which both substantially speed up the game.

dr_rus

Ubisoft should have chosen South Park instead of Steep for Switch. South Park would have made money for them.

Exactly. Steep is using GR Wildlands tech which is way too heavy to be an easy port to Switch. I have no idea why Ubisoft thought that this is a good idea.

You could say the same for Steep, and it's struggling to be ported on Switch. Unlike Steep, MHW is an open world game with tons of AI and effects on screen. I don't see it being possible without some big downgrades.

Trouble porting doesn't mean its not gonna get done. Nor does it mean it wont be a great port. Nor do we know if its a power issue or and online issue.

And no man, nothing in MH:W is very visually impressive nor is the AI a large step above anything in 4. They could port the game.

danmaku

Best wishes.

It is, but removing online would only affect multiplayer (duh), leaderboards and friends' challenges, everything else should work fine. Unless their code is somehow heavily dependent on being online, and if that's the case... why in hell did they decide to port it to the Switch?

LordKano

You could say the same for Steep, and it's struggling to be ported on Switch. Unlike Steep, MHW is an open world game with tons of AI and effects on screen. I don't see it being possible without some big downgrades.

That's not how it works. Because Ubisoft is struggling to make one game running doesn't mean more ambitious games from other devs won't run.
Broforce runs like crap on PS4, does it mean that any game visually more ambitious than Broforce can't run ?

DrWong

The original statement is too vague (Fr reader here), as the source ("familiar" not a dev') to draw any conclusion.

I know I could play Steep on a first I5 gen (750) with an old 1.5GB 3d card @720p × 33fps on low settings. That's really a weak config. How does the I5 750 compare to the Switch proc'?

18-Volt

You're joking, right?

Well, to me, a person who buys no less then 7 games per month, it is. There are 10 full price releases between end of August and end of the year: Fifa, Nba, Skyrim, DBX2, Nights of Azure 2, Pokkén, Mario odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Sonic Forces, FE Warriors. Just 10 games for 4 months seem too few for me, plus 2 of them are sports games and one of them is a game I've already got on Wii U, that leaves me for 7. Assuming Sonic Forces turns out to be a good game.

I was kinda happy that Steep would be there and now it might not, i'm sad.

Hermii

The original statement is too vague (Fr reader here), as the source ("familiar" not a dev') to draw any conclusion.

I know I could play Steep on a first I5 gen (750) with an old 1GB 3d card @720p × 33fps on low settings. That's really a weak config. How do the I5 750 compare to the Switch proc'?

The Switches 3 core (reserved for game) 1ghz a57 isn't exactly a beast.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not a surprising rumor, it is coming from a lazy and incompetent developer.
People still using the term "lazy" to describe ANY developer in the year 2017 is a sign of incompetence on the part of the gaming community when it comes to learning about how the medium works and the difficulties that any one dev can have with developing even the most simple of game titles.

Top Bottom