• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR - Watch Dogs, ACIV to require online connection (now with source!)

Keslord

Banned
I'm really starting to feel that itch that I should go handhelds/PC/retro consoles only... Not excited for next gen. Very little on the PS4 appeals to me, only a handful of Wii U games do, and Durango sounds like garbage.

Well now that's interesting. Ps4 won't require to be always online but if every developer/publisher makes their games require an always online connection it would essentially be the same thing. I honestly can't believe they don't take note of things like Diablo and sim city. They were disasters, until they figure out how to handle launch day problems(no one has yet, be it mmo or popular fps) the end result will be the same, a disaster.

Grief.exe

This is pretty fucking stupid...last year I got Far Cry 3 from UPLAY and I couldn't even LAUNCH the game! I had to use UPLAYs offline mode to play the game!

I've decided any DRM above and beyond Steam is a no buy for me.

GFWL
Securom
TAGES
UPLAY

These cause so many issues and can make games completely unplayable. Admittedly, UPLAY has gotten significantly better than the past, but I can't be sure that Ubisoft won't change their strategy again.

I honestly have plenty of amazing games sitting in my backlog to play while you figure you fix your draconian policies.

I just hope Sony won't allow this on their console, they need to get off the mentality that publishers can decide whatever they want.

Tomcat

i think this is inevitable. the industry is going this way whether you like it or not. maybe not at the start of this next generation but I am sure at the end of its life cycle all games will require always online.

I've decided any DRM above and beyond Steam is a no buy for me.

GFWL
Securom
TAGES
UPLAY

These cause so many issues and can make games completely unplayable. Admittedly, UPLAY has gotten significantly better than the past, but I can't be sure that Ubisoft won't change their strategy again.

I honestly have plenty of amazing games sitting in my backlog to play while you figure you fix your draconian policies.

Indeed! I hate this shit! Good thing I got Far Cry 3 for free with my GPU. Ubisoft can fuck off with UPlay and their idiotic policies.

Duxxy3

If true then both move to the "no buy" bin for me.

i think this is inevitable. the industry is going this way whether you like it or not. maybe not at the start of this next generation but I am sure at the end of its life cycle all games will require always online.

If this does happen then I am done.

OK, Watch_Dogs makes a LOT of sense. Come on, now.
It's almost the point of the game.
I approve, and will purchase Day 1.

AssCreed?
Not so much.
This is the pirate one, right?
So... No.

steveovig

Why don't I just stop playing video games altogether, at least newer ones? I don't like the places that the industry is headed.

Are companies going to enforce this purely on the basis of parity with durango?

I'm starting to think that MS to publisher demands. It entirely possible publishers laid this out to both Sony and MS, with Sony taking a 'up to individual publishers' approach and MS taking a more proactive approach in making it a feature at an OS/hardware level.

Anyway, if this news is accurate, that's three games that are always online.

Watch Dogs (social aspect + invasion aspect), Assassins Creed 4 (? Who knows how this will work) and Destiny (essentially a MMO)

Why in the world would they make AC always on?

Because Ubisoft...

With the rumors around the NeXtBox being ever-online...and the stipulation Sony made that they won't enforce always-online but the publishers can...

Yeah...this isn't a surprise.

It's all good news. I'm going to get so much done on my backlog.

Ryuuga

Banned
I didn´t have the impression at all. It looked more like a standard open world single player game to me.

I got the opposite, what with it's "everthing is connected, connection is power" tagline an additional person on stage playing as the individual who watches over Aiden as shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcujYbctPk&t=13m34s

and the little bit towards the end as it zooms out showing other "Watchdogs" scattered through out the city whos current mission is to assist Aiden. In fact I'm shocked you or even anyone could deduce anything other than the obvious.

So basically, even if Sony didnt want to, or if they wanted to make MS do all the work, they have no choice in the matter if devs force always online?

Not like Sony can impede on game development of other platforms to stop something, Sony and MS can only really add something to make a standard.

So... if MS makes always online a thing, then publishers will follow suit, and this will affect the PS4. Right?

From a previous discussion:

It does not need an always online connection to play. You'll just miss out on the MP that looks like it's built in the single player, like Demons Souls or Dark Souls, if you're not online.

If you watched the GameTrailers interview after the Playstation Meeting, they said you could play this offline.

Can anyone check this? I can't find that interview now.

I also found this while searching, and I still stand by my words! :p

Talk about ironic if it ends up to be true.

Isn't this game supposed to be about fighting corporations that spy on you, control your life and limit your choices by exploiting the fact that everything is always connected?
The publisher is the bad guy...

sangreal

I didn´t have the impression at all. It looked more like a standard open world single player game to me.

They've talked about other players being in your world since the start. IIRC there were two demos at the first E3 and one of them showed the asynchronous multiplayer. They showed it again during the PS4 demo as well

Still buying it. I don't have a problem with an internet connection, and neither do most of the people who don't like this.

AssCreed?
Not so much.
This is the pirate one, right?
So... No.

What if the sea faring aspect is actually a multi-player battle field with everyone is fighting on the open seas for treasure, etc? I'd be down for that, the ship battles were probably the only good thing to come out of AC3. To play against real people instead of crappy AI would be great.

They've talked about other players being in your world since the start. They showed it again during the PS4 demo as well

Yep. And this is why always-online works with Watch_Dogs very well.
The concept of the game is to link everything and every one.
Is that not something that should have it?
And I'm sure that it will have an offline mode too.

If it doesn't?
I think it's OK.
The game was MADE for online.

All the sources go back to a random Twitter. In other words, there are no sources.

I thought superannuation was a trusted source?

qDEDN22.png

Top Bottom