• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR - Watch Dogs, ACIV to require online connection (now with source!)

Arcteryx

I can understand Watch Dogs, but ACIV? hmmm. Sounds like a case of "Facebook"-itis to me; applying connectiveness to your game just for the sake of it.

Unless other players can magically enter my game world(ala Dark Souls series), then I don't see why I would need an always on connection for ACIV.

Well it could be a feature, not a requirement. I don't want my game unplayable 3 months after it releases when they pull the plug on its servers to fund the marketing for AC5: The New One.

Fair enough. It could be just a different mode, or it could be something along the lines of:

If internet = nopes then
multiplayer ships = offlineNPCships

Or something that makes sense in real life.

th4tguy

I must say though, I find it funny that people are saying they will just get the game on PC instead of console because of always online when most of those people are referring to steam, which is a must validate online before play service. For those that truly can't play games online, I feel sorry for but I find it very hard to believe that anyone posting on these forums doesn't have internet access for their consoles already.

I feel this is being blown up out of proportion. I do think it's a sucky choice that is being made and is only going to cause headaches for people though.

dezzy8

Does it even matter anymore if the consoles are online only? Even if MS and Sony decide to make games playable offline the publishers are just going to screw us over with this always online DRM bullshit. I'm scared for next generation.

Cipherr

Do you know what Watch_Dogs is?
Like, the game concept?
It is how the world is.
Always connected.
It makes so much sense it seems stupid for it not to have it.

Please don't. That is absolutely moronic. Just because the game is all about 'connected' stuff doesn't mean the game has to freaking be always online. Miss me with that "It would be stupid not too!" nonsense.

So the source is a tweet from superannuation asking if there's a rumor about Watch Dogs and ACIV having an online requirement? Sounds pretty rock solid.

I must say though, I find it funny that people are saying they will just get the game on PC instead of console because of always online when most of those people are referring to steam, which is a must validate online before play service. For those that truly can't play games online, I feel sorry for but I find it very hard to believe that anyone posting on these forums doesn't have internet access for their consoles already.

I feel this is being blown up out of proportion. I do think it's a sucky choice that is being made and is only going to cause headaches for people though.
The issue for me is control. If I'm buying a single player game, I don't want some kind of social connectivity to be a reason a game requires a server which could potentially be shut down in a few years. What if the publisher or developer goes under? What if the Sony or MS go down?

This is why I'm against digital services. If Sony's game division disappears 20 years from now, my download list of paid for games would be eliminated and I would never be able to play them again.

Same with requiring an online connection.

Damn, I was looking forward to Watch_Dogs. Now I'm not so sure.

I was hoping it would be a Dark Souls situation, where being online enhances the experience, but you can still play it offline, just without other player interaction. Going to cross my fingers it's still something like that, because if you can't play it without it being online, I may have to bow out.

Valkyria

Banned
I thought superannuation was a trusted source?

qDEDN22.png

I came to post it. He is asking about it, not confirming it. I believe all this comes from some ramdon gaffer making this statements.

Ploid 3.0

I'm not buying anymore online only games unless it's like Warhawk or TF2 in which the game is played in multiplayer only so you have to play online. Good thing Path of Exile was free.

Please don't. That is absolutely moronic. Just because the game is all about 'connected' stuff doesn't mean the game has to freaking be always online. Miss me with that "It would be stupid not too!" nonsense.

Come on, man. It kinda does.
I'm not saying that the game HAS to be online at all times.
It just seems stupid to NOT have a feature like that on it.
Still, it is not fair to implement something like that, and lock out offline users.

eso76

This does raise an interesting point - even if sony doesn't implement a system wide always-on system, individual publishers could just do it anyway. You might not have to be online for sony games but if you want to play ubisoft, activision, or EA games - you might have to be.

This problem isn't going away.

Was thinking the same and felt incredibly dumb for not thinking of this earlier.
Devs themselves could adopt this and anti-used games measures.

In a game like watchdogs, I can see a persistent connection allowing for interesting features.

Elixist

BTW i noticed that everytime i play FarCry 3 it says "logging in" at the start, that can be played offline, right?

yes at least on pc, i was having trouble pausing the game cause the server was down. fuckin bullshit, until i figured out that you can turn it to offline.

UrbanRats

yes at least on pc, i was having trouble pausing the game cause the server was down. fuckin bullshit, until i figured out that you can turn it to offline.

OK so why would they revert back to their old DRM, after having publicly stated that it was a mistake, and after Far Cry 3 doing so well on PC? This is weird.

lol At the people who thought Watch_Dogs was a single player open world game. You guys must not have seen ANY of the videos they've shown of the game I guess? The main feature pretty much is that you're always connected with other people.

Derrick01

Banned
lol At the people who thought Watch_Dogs was a single player open world game. You guys must not have seen ANY of the videos they've shown of the game I guess? The main feature pretty much is that you're always connected with other people.

The only footage we have of that is the end of the first E3 demo where that other player appears nearby. Everything else was a purely SP game.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
What makes you 100% sure?

I have no real proof of anything, I just feel very confident that Ubisoft will not spring a "feature" like this on a very single player driven series such as AC. The backlash would be huge and I believe Ubisoft currently enjoys all that cash AC brings in to much to chance a fuck up with a move like this. Also you can already pre-order the game and there is no mention of such a thing.

sangreal

I have no real proof of anything, I just feel very confident that Ubisoft will not spring a "feature" like this on a very single player driven series such as AC. The backlash would be huge and I believe Ubisoft currently enjoys all that cash AC brings in to much to chance a fuck up with a move like this. Also you can already pre-order the game and there is no mention of such a thing.

didn't they already do this for AC in the past?

rothbart

A game about hacking everything in an always-connected society requiring an always-on connection to play. Inconceivable!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
didn't they already do this for AC in the past?

I believe they tried it on PC but didn't they backtrack? I was speaking more for console versions(probably should have said that), I don't play AC on PC so I'm not exactly sure what went down there.

scitek

We need to nip this in the bud because these motherfuckers are trying to create precedent for the new gen.

No doubt, they're going to use all the fanfare of new consoles and games to try and sneak this stuff in by making it seem integral to the things themselves. I'm not buying a console that requires an always-on connection. My PC'll suffice, but at least with it I can get steep discounts and have the option of cracking their BS DRM if I feel it's too intrusive.

Plasma

Banned
You'd think Ubisoft would have learned their lesson after trying and failing to do this with some of their games on PC.

tHoMNZ

hopefully people stop this trend by voting with their wallets. Just like horse armor and shit COD games.. oh wait

Top Bottom