• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR - Watch Dogs, ACIV to require online connection (now with source!)

Yeah that's why I added the edit, if the rumors are to be believed then I wouldn't be surprised if more than one publisher does this. Just like back when project $10 first came out.

That's fine.
Keep it optional for publishers, so gamers has the option to vote with their wallets.

saunderez

If true Ubisoft is gonna be a good test of the "average user doesn't care about this" excuse some people keep trotting out. Let the games begin!

EDarkness

I can totally see Watch_Dogs having one. Just makes sense for that game and one of the reasons I was gonna pick it up. Assassin's Creed 4? I don't see it. Not that I'm gonna pick it up anyway.

what does watchdogs have online related?

I'm assuming it'll be similar to ZombiU and other players can indirectly have effects on your game...but if that were the case it should be easy to have an offline mode and just have it download from the server anytime you connect

squidyj

Soo, in Watch Dogs, does that mean I would be forced to endure other players coming into my game fucking everything up? Because I just want to play the game by myself.

do we even know exactly what other players can do in your game?

if I could fuck with stuff I would just be a dick with trains and bridges. "oh you wanna go there? lol nope"

I would have them running around like a rat in a cage. despite all their rage.

So Watch_Dogs, a game about how evil corporations have gone too far and destroyed privacy by putting everything online... requires a online connection.

How very metta.

They have strongly suggested Dark Soul's style game invasions.

is it saying they are evil for putting everything online or is it merely an inevitable reality of the future we are heading towards?

Fairly certain that they've at least shown other players' usernames in every single trailer that they've released...

On topic, I'm fine with Watch_Dogs but AC4 can go screw itself.

Edit: To clarify why, Watch_Dogs seems to be genuinely designed around online functionality, but we know for a fact that AC isn't... since we've played 5 (?) AC games already.

As much as I get the same gut response about the two titles I don't think it's necessarily accurate or fair to say the last game was x so the next game in the series needs to also be x. It just seems to be the sort of homogenous conforming expectation that we should be trying to buck. I'm not arguing that AC4 should be online only just because but I think it should at least get a chance to try to justify the use of it and if it fucks it up (as it most likely will) then so be it, but to decide before-hand makes me uncomfortable about the message we're sending to the industry as gamers.

EDarkness

what does watchdogs have online related?

From what I was told, your game can be affected at all times (while playing) via the internet. Someone can affect your game and vice versa. They didn't explain how this is gonna work, but being online was supposed to be a key function of the game and how the player interacts with things in it.

I've decided any DRM above and beyond Steam is a no buy for me.

GFWL
Securom
TAGES
UPLAY

These cause so many issues and can make games completely unplayable. Admittedly, UPLAY has gotten significantly better than the past, but I can't be sure that Ubisoft won't change their strategy again.

I honestly have plenty of amazing games sitting in my backlog to play while you figure you fix your draconian policies.

Lol. You should have the same policy with all DRM games.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Ef2cuaH.png

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So here's a question: if these two games do end up with always connected DRM, and a number high profile 3rd party games follow suit, would that lessen people's grief with NextBox and sort of cuts back the PS4's advantage as far as this issue goes?

It would be really scary if the PS4 gets strong armed into a series of always connected DRM by 3rd parties if te option is left to them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hasn't Ubi said they're not doing always online any more after getting dragged through the coals on it before? I could see these having persistent online features but hope they don't have the requirement as well.

So here's a question: if these two games do end up with always connected DRM, and a number high profile 3rd party games follow suit, would that lessen people's grief with NextBox and sort of cuts back the PS4's advantage as far as this issue goes?

It would be really scary if the PS4 gets strong armed into a series of always connected DRM by 3rd parties if te option is left to them.

Why would they cut back when they can enable it on PS4 if they want. Still PS4 players have a choice to support developers that are anti-consumer. 720 users don't because it's on a console level.

Also the PS4 version might not have it. :p

Replicant

Not really. By not supporting it on console level, it'd be up to the customers to boycott individual developers who try this BS. And I have done that multiple times by asking refund for Final Fight when I found out Crapcom DRM'd it, by boycotting Atlus for their Persona 4 Arena shenanigans, by not buying SimCity/Diablo, etc. And because it's not forced at console level, you'll still find yourself able to find a lot of replacements for your gaming needs.

Ubisoft is next if they think they can get away with this again.

shandy706

I didn´t have the impression at all. It looked more like a standard open world single player game to me.

I do believe another player was shown playing in the PS4 demo (their character presence in the game world that is). You see/hear it clear as day later on in the video.

Top Bottom