• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Wii U: latest system update has increased CPU, GPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This can't be true, right?

Nintendo’s latest Wii U firmware update has boosted the console’s GPU and CPU speed, according to a new rumour.

The rumour comes from a poster on TV Tropes who hasn’t cited any sort of source or provided any evidence, so please do treat this as rumour for now.

Their post reads:

CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor “Espresso” clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update. This is an evolution to the Broadway chip used in the Wii, is 64 bit and uses Power6 technote When IBM has said that Nintendo has licensed the Power7 tech from IBM, Nintendo is not using it for the Wii U, explaining its backwards compatibility.

GPU: AMD Radeon High Definition processor codenamed “Latte” with an eDRAM cache built onto the die clocked at 550 MHz before the 3.0.0 update, 800 MHz after the 3.0.0 update.

So following the 3.0.0 update, it is claimed that both the CPU and GPU have seen a clock speed increase.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/10/wii-u-latest-system-update-has-increased-cpu-gpu-speed-rumour/

tnaden

You can't be serious. How can you even possibly believe that?

EDIT: I'm talking about this part:
CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor “Espresso” clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update

This is so clearly false I don't even know where to begin. The Wii U doesn't have the cooling required for 3.24 Ghz is probably the most stand out one. The other being the total madness in increasing the clocks by that much after release.

How is this even a thread...

qq more

Are you kidding me? I'm honestly surprised anyone would even take this with a grain of salt. Such obvious lies.

TV Tropes

hasn’t cited any sort of source or provided any evidence

Hm...

seems-legit.jpg

Fistwell

Yeah sure. It also reconfigured the GPU's FPGA firmware to effectively double FLOPS through soft optimization and the power of wishful thinking.

As bullshit as this story clearly is, the update can at least raise the clock speed a little though, can't it? (though obviously not that much)

After all, I'm pretty sure a PSP update once did that when God Of War was released on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom