• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Wii U: latest system update has increased CPU, GPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbed

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on GAF.

I kinda wish this was true just to see the resultant confusion and meltdowns.

Luigiv

As bullshit as this story clearly is, the update can at least raise the clock speed a little though, can't it? (though obviously not that much)

After all, I'm pretty sure a PSP update once did that when God Of War was released on it.

Theoretically it should be able too but I have know idea if that's something Nintendo's engineers are willing to do.

The PSP was a special case, btw. The system was specifically designed, from the beginning, to have an adjustable clock rate. All the firmware update did was unlock the capability that was already there (which was originally locked off purely out of battery life concerns).

Most other hardware platforms are not designed this way, so unplanned overclocking can have a serious effect on thermal management.

1-D_FTW

Be funny if it's reporting the speed by adding up the three cores. Because in that case, it'd actually be a downclock. Going from 1 to 3Ghz. There aren't lulz big enough to do this justice.

I just got back from my source at Nintendo's janitorial department. The big 2014 update will duct tape two Wii Us together.

Also, their staff toilets are now smelling lemon fresh.
Unless Miyamoto gets natto burritos again...

tkscz

We disproved this last night in the Latte thread. The voltage didn't increase, ergo it couldn't have risen in clock speed.

wsippel

Banned
As bullshit as this story clearly is, the update can at least raise the clock speed a little though, can't it? (though obviously not that much)

After all, I'm pretty sure a PSP update once did that when God Of War was released on it.
Sure, it's possible in theory. Cooling might be sufficient for a 6x multiplier (1488MHz), but this isn't something I'd expect Nintendo to do.

Kunan

Ahahahahahaha no

I could believe a small bump due to nintendos recent obsession with wattage of home consoles, but anything sizeable would be awful planning and cook the console.

AkiraGr

Banned
This cannot be happening...3:33 time of post, Wii U update is a sanity effect promoted by nintendo for the release of Eternal Darkness 2.

In all seriousness this rumor is bollocks.

CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor “Espresso” clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update.

So more than double the CPU clock just from a software update? And without any additional cooling too? Yeah this is totally believable.

nubbe

Intel does it

Why can't nintendo?

Just saying

WI9CoeA.jpg

This is incredible, im gonna go update the firmware on my PC which should boost my CPU speed up to like 4.7ghz and maybe even turn my 560ti into a 660ti!
I had literally no idea firmware updates could do this kinda thing!

ChronoX

Nintendo had their next gen secret sauce technology up their sleeves the entire time! Watch out Sony and Microsoft. They'll out do you with overclocking powers.

tkscz

This is incredible, im gonna go update the firmware on my PC which should boost my CPU speed up to like 4.7ghz and maybe even turn my 560ti into a 660ti!
I had literally no idea firmware updates could do this kinda thing!

Actually firmware updates can increase clock speeds. It's bullshit in this case, but possible.

Sendou

Nice job Iwata. Lure in Sony and Microsoft into making underpowered consoles then when they have lock on them overclock your console to the fucking moon.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wii U was made out of 2 gokus taped together after all.

*takes off his wristbands* now you'll see my real power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom