• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox 3 = 6-core CPU, 2GB of DDR3 Main RAM, 2 AMD GPUs w/ Unknown VRAM, At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.
UnluckyKate said:
2gb of ram is the best to expect for next gen. Anyone asking for more is begging for disappointment. This information is believable
I'm expecting Sony to blow both our minds and our wallets.
[Nintex] said:
Christmas 2012 for sure :)

As for the RAM, perhaps there's a small chance that it might be VRAM only and it'll get a seperate system-RAM pool but 2GB is still 4x the ammount found in the Xbox 360 today so plenty of RAM for gaming purposes in any case.
wat the wat

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
subversus said:
http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/14/report-next-gen-xbox-announcement-for-ces-hex-core-cpu-inside/

I thought that it deserves its own thread because hex-core CPU is a massive increase over 3 cores

By the standards of previous console generational hops, that would be a very small increase... but of course, as you say, chip makers haven't been packing on ever increasing numbers of cores in the last few years anyway, we've moved pretty slowly from 2 to 4 and all that. So something like this wouldn't be too surprising.

The net increase in performance should be a lot more than 2x though - one imagines these cores ought to be much better performers individually than the 360's. Probably a lot closer to desktop cores today than 360's cores were to desktop cores of 05.

Still though, if this were true it would reinforce the idea of (relatively) modest CPU upgrades vs perhaps larger upgrades on the GPU side (vs previous console transitions). And that may be entirely appropriate given whatever GPU they put in there could do more than graphics work, if that's necessary.

I hope for 4GB of RAM though. It would require a fair number of RAM modules, but IIRC, likely no more than PS3 had at launch (can't remember how many 360 had).

thuway

This is 2GB DDR3? I'm sure the GPU will have some sort of ram on it too. 2GB dedicated to the system it sounds like. If not than, Sony your turn-

[Nintex]

Shadow of the BEAST said:
way to little.

Im guessing they are not looking for a ten year life span next gen.
Because that didn't work out now so why would it work out in the future?

2005 - Xbox 360
2012 - Xbox Ten/Loop/Infinity/Whatever
2016/2017 - Xbox 4

Seems like a much better strategy to me than:

2005 - Xbox 360
2014 - Xbox Loop
2024 - Xbox 4

The 360 still lasted 7 years. Look at reviews of Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and even Uncharted "More of the same" is often used to describe most late 2012 games. And if it wasn't coming in 2012.. no way Criterion, Visceral, Crytek, Ubisoft and Square Enix would be gearing up for 'next gen'.

whitehawk

Banned
Also, we seem to have gotten a lot of rumours on the Loop/720, that I think I can make this assumption...

WiiU and XBox Loop = November 2012
PS4 = November 2013

Nintendo - 6 years after Wii
Microsoft - 7 years after 360
Sony - 7 years after PS3

We are used to having a 4-5 year console cycle. 6-7 makes sense to me.

itsgreen

Keyser Soze said:
Having 2GB is fine fir now, but it means it will be out of date 2 years after release

Exactly, the thing will get serious problem and flak in year 2 when Sony does as PS4...

If MS were to ask me for advice I would say 4 gig, why cheap out? Memory costs are low, will go lower over time.

Two years after launch the costs of 4 gig has dropped even more and it definitely won't be a factor. While on the other hand developers will run into problems and be limited by only 2 gigs and that will be a factor.

I recently upgraded my pc and bought 8 gigs ddr, it cost me 40euro... so 2 gig is 15$ I can't understand why they'd cheap out.

[Nintex] said:
Because that didn't work out now so why would it work out in the future?

2005 - Xbox 360
2012 - Xbox Ten/Loop/Infinity/Whatever
2016/2017 - Xbox 4

Seems like a much better strategy to me than:

2005 - Xbox 360
2014 - Xbox Loop
2024 - Xbox 4

The 360 still lasted 7 years. Look at reviews of Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and even Uncharted "More of the same" is often used to describe most late 2012 games. And if it wasn't coming in 2012.. no way Criterion, Visceral, Crytek, Ubisoft and Square Enix would be gearing up for 'next gen'.

"ten year lifespan" doesn't mean that there won't be a successor on the market. The PS2 is still being sold.

DSN2K

itsgreen said:
I recently upgraded my pc and bought 8 gigs ddr, it cost me 40euro... so 2 gig is 15$ I can't understand why they'd cheap out.

sticks are cheap, onboard ram isnt in the same price bracket.

Kinan

all according to Microsoft's keikaku:

1. Leak news about 2GB RAM
2. Wait for Sony to react and increase the planned RAM amount in PS4 from 2 to 4GB.
3. Wait for Sony to announce the 599$ launch price.
4. Laugh.
5. Launch the machine with 2GB for 399$.
6. Profit.

thuway said:
This is 2GB DDR3? I'm sure the GPU will have some sort of ram on it too. 2GB dedicated to the system it sounds like. If not than, Sony your turn-

Microsoft used 512mb GDDR3 with the 360 (unified pool) and Sony used 256mb XDR for system memory and 256mb GDDR3 for video memory. If you have a unified memory pool you need to go with higher quality RAM found on video cards (i.e. GDDR series, which is up to GDDR5 on modern video cards). Even for Sony, who did go with separate memory for each, decided to use higher-quality, substantially faster memory (XDR vs DDR).

Microsoft will not revert to slower memory, especially for a unified pool. By the same token, it isn't going to arbitrarily shift back to split pools. Even if it did, it still wouldn't use DDR3 memory because it's significantly slower than what 360/PS3 had to work with for system stuff.

Either this rumor is total BS, or the rumor Chinese whispers broke down halfway and went full-retard before hitting the internet.

Marco1

This sounds perfect and there will be some vram also. Hexacore and 2GB will make this console a beast.
Although releasing the console 2012 will give sony the option of upping the stakes by adding better specs although I can imagine PS4 being very similar.

I don't think Sony will give MS a year headstart this time. Loop will probably be released before PS4 but I don't think it will take a year after Loop for PS4. If I'm not mistaken the reason PS3 got released a year after 360 was because they had problem with getting Blu-ray ready for the console.

2gb sounds about right though, will be interesting to see who handles the PS4 GPU.

whitehawk

Banned
itsgreen said:
Exactly, the thing will get serious problem and flak in year 2 when Sony does as PS4...

If MS were to ask me for advice I would say 4 gig, why cheap out? Memory costs are low, will go lower over time.

Two years after launch the costs of 4 gig has dropped even more and it definitely won't be a factor. While on the other hand developers will run into problems and be limited by only 2 gigs and that will be a factor.

You don't understand, you can think like this. "Oh it's only $15 they shouldn't cheap out."

If you tack on an extra $5 cost to each console, it adds up. The 360 has sold over 57 million systems. However prices go down, so let's just say 10 million x 5 = $50,000,000

That's an extra $50 million dollars. When Microsoft decided to include 512mb of ram into the 360 instead of 256mb, it costs them 1 billion dollars.

whitehawk said:
You don't understand, you can think like this. "Oh it's only $15 they shouldn't cheap out."

If you tack on an extra $5 cost to each console, it adds up. The 360 has sold over 57 million systems. However prices go down, so let's just say 10 million x 5 = $50,000,000

That's an extra $50 million dollars. When Microsoft decided to include 512mb of ram into the 360 instead of 256mb, it costs them 1 billion dollars.

Also, RAM doesn't really get cheaper over a long period, you just get more storage for the same money. Same with HDDs.

Special J

Banned
2GB is plenty, dont equate console hardware to PC, there isnt unnecessary overhead with the OS. also this is probably GDDR5 which is significantly better than DDR3.

and this generation has already proven that its okay to cheap out on memory, sony specifically has proven that having less ram doesnt mean shit because developers just end up doing the extra work to get it to fit. assets are generated for the lowest common denominator anyways just to retain parity.

Jarmel

Banned
Well that depends if that 2GB of ram is all or just the DDR3 amount. Also it's not about so much about the cores but rather the speed of the cores.

Now the big mystery is the GPU as well as what type of optical drive there will be(hoping for blu-ray).

I could see Microsoft doing an infinity loop for the logo. "Possibilities are endless" or some other crap being the slogan.

2gb of ram is okay but then i saw it's ddr3 .
If these console have to last until 2018 going with ddr3 is a mistake.
They should go with ddr5 or xdr2 still i am not to certain what number they up for the RAM modules .

mclem

UnluckyKate said:
2gb of ram is the best to expect for next gen. Anyone asking for more is begging for disappointment. This information is believable

The RAM is believable. The hex core I'm a little sceptical about.

ITT: People post who don't understand memory.

Developing to a hard set of specifications is ENTIRELY different to developing to a near infinite list of components with an PC Operating System overhead.

GlamFM

Banned
I´m excited and ready for new hardware. Bring it on.

I also think that it´s really time. All the big franchises have finished their trilogies by now or are about to. ( Uncharted/Mass Effect/ Gears/Resistance/ModernWarfare/Halo.... )

Halo 4 being a next gen launch title seems less unlikely now..

whitehawk

Banned
Marco1 said:
This sounds perfect and there will be some vram also. Hexacore and 2GB will make this console a beast.
Although releasing the console 2012 will give sony the option of upping the stakes by adding better specs although I can imagine PS4 being very similar.
I think Sony and Microsoft will learn that pushing "We have more powerful hardware" will not sell. Sony tried that and it didn't work to well. They may be telling the truth, but it doesn't matter. Especially when most 3rd party devs won't bother to make games look better on your system, because it's simply not worth the cost. Instead it's smart to aim for fairly similar hardware, and standout with innovative software, games, features etc. Sony learned the hard way they can't sell based on hardware and weird horror-oriented advertising campaigns.

DieH@rd

Banned
I couild live with a console with 2gb of ram and 1gb of vram. Its a shame main ram is rummored to be a crappy ddr3.

Limanima

2Gb seems infact a little bit too short. How much does it costs the extra 2gb? Isn't memory cheap nowadays?
Microsoft should be careful with this, because Sony has proven in the past that they have no problems in releasing a more expensive device and they might throw in that extra 2gb even if that makes the ps4 a more expensive product. On the other side, this generation might have changed this.

Marco1

Even though your PC has 8GB Ram you should check to see how much of that Ram is really used in most games and then see how much vram is used also using afterburner or EVGA precision.
You would be surprised.

Jarmel

Banned
whitehawk said:
I think Sony and Microsoft will learn that pushing "We have more powerful hardware" will not sell. Sony tried that and it didn't work to well. They may be telling the truth, but it doesn't matter. Especially when most 3rd party devs won't bother to make games look better on your system, because it's simply not worth the cost. Instead it's smart to aim for fairly similar hardware, and standout with innovative software, games, features etc. Sony learned the hard way they can't sell based on hardware and weird horror-oriented advertising campaigns.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, their first party is damn near non-existant. We obviously aren't going to be seeing any $599 consoles however nothing this gen has extinguished the $400 price point.

Medalion

Banned
This is not a PC ur paying for... Like $1000 or whatever... Keep this shit affordable console and powerful ratio with longevity

cw_sasuke said:
Not really, especially since we dont know if and how big the extra V-Ram will be. Ram wont be the bottleneck of those consoles.
No, it really is tiny.

Especially when you consider the 64MB to 512MB leap between Xbox to 360 (8x vs. 4x) took just 4 years vs. 7 for this system.

whitehawk said:

But in the long run they made that billion back, and if it wasn't for that extra 256m games like Gears/oblivion may have been PC only, also they could have made so much more if they didn't release a defected system, their profits could have triple and the extra billion would have been nothing..

Marco1

whitehawk said:
The PS3 may be more powerful and I am yet to see anything that doesn't run as well on 360 if not better but it's all down to the dev tools which PS3 was sorely lacking.

AniHawk

Limanima said:
2Gb seems infact a little bit too short. How much does it costs the extra 2gb? Isn't memory cheap nowadays?
Microsoft should be careful with this, because Sony has proven in the past that they have no problems in releasing a more expensive device and they might throw in that extra 2gb even if that makes the ps4 a more expensive product. On the other side, this generation might have changed this.

i can't imagine microsoft or sony too willing to bleed billions of dollars in the gaming sector anymore. if microsoft gets a year head start, they'll have momentum they didn't have with the xbox, at least in the united states and probably europe.

wsippel

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Heh.

Sounds like Loop and WiiU are gonna be port buddies.

Now to see Sony's move. Are they going to be odd manufacturer out this gen?
Pretty much. Looks like those two systems will end be a lot closer than most people expected.

whitehawk

Banned
Nemesis121 said:
But in the long run they made that billion back, and if it wasn't for that extra 256m games like Gears/oblivion may have been PC only, also they could have made so much more if they didn't release a defected system, their profits could have triple and the extra billion would have been nothing..
I'm not denying that. In fact I agree. I was just pointing out that comparing that cheap 2gb stick you found on Newegg for that PC you are building is not the same as engineering a video game system for mass distribution.

Jarmel

Banned
Is it possible they need the hex-core CPU due to Kinect implementation?

wsippel said:
Pretty much. Looks like those two systems will end be a lot closer than most people expected.

GPU, GPU, and GPU. This is the big question mark.

[Nintex]

These systems max out at 1080p for a while anyway so I don't really see a reason to go balls to the walls insane when it comes to specs. Higher res textures, more shader power, DX11(12?) bells and whistles will go a long way in making next-gen games look significantly better than what is released today.

Limanima

whitehawk said:

It didn't worked too well, simply because if we look at things, the diference between the ps3 and xbox the isn't that big (if there's any). Multiplat games look the same and most of the time even perform better on the XBox. But 2gb vs 4 gb might make a huge diference that could justify the price increase.

Nemesis121 said:
I know they started making profit after five years or so, but damn that is pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom