• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mass Effect 3 Kinect-compatible? [BioWare At Microsoft E3 Rehearsal]

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
gibon3z said:
Guess I won't be buying ME3.

I refuse to buy any game that is kinect compatible, will not get forza4 or Ghost Recon either.

Not interested in any games that have been tainted by the kinect gimmick.

What the...

gibon3z said:

I refuse to buy any game that is kinect compatible, will not get forza4 or Ghost Recon either.

You're going to miss out on ME3 because it has Kinect compatibility?

Get over it.

TheOddOne

gibon3z said:

So something thats optional makes the rest of the game invalid? Dunno seems like a petty reason to discard a game.

gibon3z said:

Thats nuts. It'll be optional. Ignore it.

Unless a purple band on the box fills you with rage. . .

Mrbob

So this is how Bioware finally gets a big selling game. They go for the Call of Duty market and the casual market in one fell swoop.

Galvanise_ said:
Thats nuts. It'll be optional. Ignore it.

Unless a purple band on the box fills you with rage. . .

Yea you guys are right, I should probably wait to see how deep the kinect functionality is.

If it is indeed a major integration and it fundamentally changes alot of the game then yes I will not get it.

clav

gibon3z said:
Yea you guys are right, I should probably wait to see how deep the kinect functionality is.

If it is indeed a major integration and it fundamentally changes alot of the game then yes I will not get it.
I don't understand your response.

With a PS3 release, Mass Effect 3 will be totally playable with a controller, so the Xbox 360 version will be the same.

The Kinect features will most likely be a nice thing to have if you have one, but it won't be game breaking.

In other words, you don't need Kinect to play the game.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Wave hand Jedi mind control.

Push hand biotic force motion.

Push arms outwards magneto style shield AOE blast.

Pull arm forward to Biotic Pull.

Raise, then drop hand to do that biotic thingy where you raise then smash the person to the ground.

Kinect Baby!

And doing this with a controller in hand sounds not that convenient (Edit: unless this is during pause menu in combat). I think this has to be on stuff that's outside of combat.

gibon3z said:
Given that it is going to be available for PS3 and PC, it won't change anything fundementally. Unless you're assuming that they're making a unique version for the 360 that REQUIRES Kinect... that isn't going to happen. The "Better With Kinect" banner means that you can play the game with Kinect, not that you have to. It'll be an option, not a replacement.

dofry said:
And doing this with a controller in hand sounds not that convenient (Edit: unless this is during pause menu in combat). I think this has to be on stuff that's outside of combat.
I think whatever BioWare do will be for immersion, not convenience.

Jenga

Banned
derFeef said:
Bioware mentioned interest in Kinect a while ago.
well yeah but that still doesnt explain why they would shove it in the final game of a trilogy that never had it

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bungieware said:
I can't think of any Kinect implementation that would work with Mass Effect.

you could yell "red" or "blue" at the Natal sensor to make important choices

Bungieware said:
In a game like Skyrim, they could let you activate the shouts by actually shouting yourself. But in Mass Effect.... hand signals maybe? That's all I can think of.

which is fucking idiotic.

Really? REALLY? I have to shout at my t.v. to activate a power in the game?

I'm assuming it will be an option you can turn on and turn off. : /

I have a Kinect. I don't regret my Kinect purchase.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Child of Eden and some other titles but this kind of integration in games such as suggested in Skyrim drives me fucking crazy.

With Bioware's track record of late. I'm pretty sure Kinect integration was the reason for the ME 3 delay and I'm pretty sure the integration of Kinect is going to be disappointing.

Dabanton

Jenga said:
well yeah but that still doesnt explain why they would shove it in the final game of a trilogy that never had it

We could say the same about something like KZ3 and Move compatibility why is it there It wasn't in KZ 1 or 2.

See how silly that particular argument can get.

Biggzy

If Bioware are going to be at MS press conference then no doubt they are there to show off the Kinect features for mass effect 3.

Jenga said:

Because sometime between Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, Kinect sold 10 million units. The new Bioware will want a piece of that pie. It is ALL about selling games for them now.

Before, it used to be, "If we make a great game, we'll make money."

Now it's, "We need to make money. What can we do to make sure we sell the most number of units with as little investment as possible?"

Making a great game doesn't even seem to be a secondary objective for them anymore. Maybe not even tertiary?

Oppo

user_nat said:
Seriously though, they could have you read the lines instead of selecting them.
That's my guess.

If it really was just voice control, it would be hilarious if they also let you do it with the Eye mic on PS3.

Mrbob said:
So this is how Bioware finally gets a big selling game. They go for the Call of Duty market and the casual market in one fell swoop.
I just heard IGN's Game Scoop (don't judge me! :p) talking about how ME3 is pretty much a shooter now. Most of the RPG stuff has been taken out.

I'm not sure how accurate this is because they only played a few hours of the game but it does look like Bioware is dumbing down their game for the masses.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Map and menu navigation similar to Minority Report (and countless other sci-fi books, shows and movies) would be a pretty nifty usage, I have to admit.

pharmboy044 said:
I just heard IGN's Game Scoop (don't judge me! :p) talking about how ME3 is pretty much a shooter now. Most of the RPG stuff has been taken out.

I'm not sure how accurate this is because they only played a few hours of the game but it does look like Bioware is dumbing down their game for the masses.

Everything in the magazine articles said the opposite about RPG elements, that they're more prominent than in ME2.

derFeef

Jenga said:
Kinect came out after ME2 and it sold pretty well. And I am not sure they are "shoving" it in, hopefully it is something worthwhile.

WanderingWind said:
Map and menu navigation similar to Minority Report (and countless other sci-fi books, shows and movies) would be a pretty nifty usage, I have to admit.

So you put down the controller and wave your hands when you want to navigate menus?

Yeah...that'd be genius. : /

The fact is...menu navigation was cut down to a minimum in Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3 will have the same scant amount of time as Mass Effect 2...if not even less.

As far as new Bioware is concerned, "The new target-market doesn't like menus!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
WanderingWind said:

Bioware and interface design?

emot-mmmsmug.gif

FrankT

Hmm, looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Obviously day one even without Kinect, but still if they come up with something worthwhile with Kinect I'll give it a shot.

feel

gibon3z said:

ouch, this is embarrasing, I felt awkward just reading it

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HadesGigas said:
Everything in the magazine articles said the opposite about RPG elements, that they're more prominent than in ME2.
I just want to know what the gaming media defines as "RPG elements" these days. Reading Witcher 2 reviews...it's like anything that involves non-linear, non-passive character development trees is too confusing!

K.Jack said:
Move support would actually make sense. Sony should get on that.

I was thinking that for ME3, most things that would work well with kinect would also work as well, possibly better with move.
Voice control works fine with the PS eye, so voice commands would work fine, mini games like the pairs game or the select the correct code would work fine.

Jenga

Banned
Dabanton said:
We could say the same about something like KZ3 and Move compatibility why is it there It wasn't in KZ 1 or 2.

See how silly that particular argument can get.
never played KZ so i wouldn't care
Kinect came out after ME2 and it sold pretty well. And I am not sure they are "shoving" it in, hopefully it is something worthwhile.
they've got other platforms that won't be using it

it'll probably some wii-like hand aiming and waving to open doors or something

Jenga

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I just want to know what the gaming media defines as "RPG elements" these days. Reading Witcher 2 reviews...it's like anything that involves non-linear, non-passive character development trees is too confusing!
b-b-but should i get quen or whirl?! this is so hard why can't this be like ME!

Y2Kev said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's true either way. Hard to really get too excited/deflated about anything that isn't a cold hard fact (this character returns, these guys are the baddies, etc) in these "hands on" fluff pieces on sites like IGN or magazines like OXM or Game Informer.

Maaseru

Banned
Has anyone thought of controller integration with kinect.

You could play all the game with the controller except maybe some of the stuff , you do using kinect, like squad control or the more than likely "resource" minigames.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maaseru said:
Has anyone thought of controller integration with kinect.

You could play all the game with the controller except maybe some of the stuff , you do using kinect, like squad control or the more than likely "resource" minigames.

Well yeah, it would be impossible for it to control only with Kinect. It's a "better" with Kinect title. It'll probably be minor stuff and it's not like it'll have any effect on us playing the PC version, so it's cool.

Top Bottom