• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mass Effect 3 Kinect-compatible? [BioWare At Microsoft E3 Rehearsal]

itxaka

Defeatist
syoaran said:
[IG]http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1077703382_ngFHz-L.jpg[/IMG]

Photoshop the last panel to say: "Shepard" and we are all set

DggIy.jpg

LiquidMetal14 said:
Let's have lunch!

And people, Amir0x has rationality in his reasoning. I know some are so enamored and some just can't see why Kinect does not make most games better but everyone is entitled to their opinion. As he said, vote with your dollars. More people will probably buy it on 360 but not for the Kinect gimmick. Userbase speaks too.
Your use of "gimmick" is presumptuous as you have no idea how it's going to be integrated. Kinect support could be something as minor as voice commands, menu navigation, or dialogue-wheel control.

If there was an optional "Shephard club-dancing mode" or using gestures to spaz out your character during conversations, that would be a gimmick.

szaromir

Banned
Amir0x said:
What is the point? I'm always amused when people say this. The point of any control is to be the most precise/accurate, efficient and reliable as can be. There's no other ideal that is even worth visiting for a millisecond.

Drinky Crow likes to stir water, and people looove to claim I'm doing the same, but my opinions are genuine. I say them because I care about the state of the industry and am genuinely concerned about what such a gigantic step back in controls getting popular means for gaming. In my view, it only bodes ill for the quality of future titles.
The point of Kinect isn't to offer the most precise and responsive, it's to offer controlling some in-game stuff with body motions or voice controls, which many people consider fun. Yes if a game is Kinect only it probably won't offer deep, but a) neither are most AAA games nowadays, b) the controller is still there, so it's not like Kinect will destroy controller based gaming, the touch screen in NDS didn't kill the use of button in it either, it's just one of the options going forward.

I'd like to add that most games have very noticeable control lag even with a controller (pretty much anything with >100ms response time is very annoying), I am surprised that I never see Kinect antagonists complaining about that.

As for Drinky Crow, his opinions are genuine as well.

As jett and some others can tell you, I am one of the people who went into Uncharted 1 and 2 topics and shit on the automated platforming. I am extremely consistent. But those games do other things well, including controlling pretty damn well, and it's only possible with a controller. Still, overall I've never thought they were classic games. I've had massive problems with both titles and said so.

But, I do heavily disagree with your final comment. I do think Kinect would make these games infinitely worse.

Try that type of game on Kinect and it'd either have some gimmickry voice implementation or laggy on rail gameplay.
Well, no one wants to make old games with Kinect only, "worst case" scenario Kinect will play a supplementary role (like in ME3) to the traditional controller. Some of those Kinect features might turn out unnecessary, but there are many controller based games with tacked on and useless features, so ultimately bad game design is to be blamed and not the devices themselves.

Better with Kinect functionality tells us its not required which is fine... if devs want to experiment I don't mind it might even be good.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Metalmurphy said:
If they let you order your squad through arm/hand motions it would be cool.

funny-hand-signals-7.jpg

Even if pressing a button is faster and more convenient lol

That is what instantly came to mind, I would actually like that. Would be kinda cool for the first few times you use it..

Once again the first post is wonderful.

I'm OK with MS throwing all of this optional Kinect stuff in. If it works, great, if it sucks then I won't use it.

PetriP-TNT said:
Shepard.

Kinect.

I guess it could work very well in the conversation parts
Selecting dialog options with your hands. Huh, never thought of that.

I'd never use it, but it's a possibility. Heck, maybe I'll use it once, for shits and giggles. My Kinect's gathering dust anyways, good thing it was free.

Dyno

It makes sense in that Bioware games are geting more and more casual. DA and ME are going the way of Fable, not towards something like The Witcher or even Demon's Souls.

ZeroRay

syoaran said:
1077703382_ngFHz-L.jpg

Photoshop the last panel to say: "Shepard" and we are all set

After reading "kill" in this image, my laptop suddenly turned off and I had to buy a new one.

Gonna sue those Penny Arcade guys.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
LiquidMetal14 said:
Let's have lunch!

And people, Amir0x has rationality in his reasoning. I know some are so enamored and some just can't see why Kinect does not make most games better but everyone is entitled to their opinion. As he said, vote with your dollars. More people will probably buy it on 360 but not for the Kinect gimmick. Userbase speaks too.

No, saying you bought the first 2 games on the Xbox and you're no longer going to buy the 3rd game on the same system simply because they added OPTIONAL Kinect support is not rational reasoning. It's called overreacting.

His money is still going to Bioware, which will help fund more "Better with Kinect" games in the future. Bwahahaha.

StudioTan said:
No, saying you bought the first 2 games on the Xbox and you're no longer going to buy the 3rd game on the same system simply because they added OPTIONAL Kinect support is not rational reasoning. It's called overreacting.

His money is still going to Bioware, which will help fund more "Better with Kinect" games in the future. Bwahahaha.

And the funniest part is, we all know it's also coming to PC eventually. Hell, maybe it will even be ready for ME3, now that would be hilarious.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
StudioTan said:

No, he's buying the 3rd on PC because he has a PC now. It's a pretty rational reason.

The persecution complex in some of these threads can be unbearable.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Snuggler said:
No, he's buying the 3rd on PC because he has a PC now. It's a pretty rational reason.

Perhaps I'm misreading but it's exactly what he said.

Amir0x said:
No of course not. I just don't want to spend one cent supporting any product that is even tangentially related to Kinect. I did play Mass Effect 1 and 2 on 360. I even have my character save on the 360. But I'm going to play them on PC and start over to avoid it. The device is that regressive. Gotta vote with your dollar, after all.

jaypah

Snuggler said:

I thought he said that despite having 360 saves from both games he refuses to buy the third on 360 because it would signify that he was ok with games getting Kinect support. He even mentioned voting with his wallet. Whatevz, maybe i misunderstood..... Must be that persecution complex :p

StudioTan

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
And the funniest part is, we all know it's also coming to PC eventually. Hell, maybe it will even be ready for ME3, now that would be hilarious.

Considering I have a hard time going back to the Xbox now that I've upgraded my PC I'm really hoping I can start using the Kinect on PC soon.

Mindlog

StudioTan said:
Considering I have a hard time going back to the Xbox now that I've upgraded my PC I'm really hoping I can start using the Kinect on PC soon.
It would be a nice TrackIR replacement.

golem

It would be hilarious if they tied interrupts to Kinect.. I want to shout RENEGADE BITCHES at the screen and make obscene gestures to activate

onken

Yeah as long as it's optional, can't really complain.

e~ and I really, really hate it when people just put "discuss" and nothing else in the first post. Where's your fucking opinion, op?

Top Bottom