• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New species/details for ME4 from BW's private fan panel [Content deleted]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought N7 was a System Alliance designation?

It is. It expanded to "N7 Special Ops" for the Reaper war, and the multiplayer notes that N7 units now train other species. But doesn't say they officially become N7.

As Jarmel said it would a clean way of moving the lore forward though. I could see post-war N7 being a military designation that includes all manner of species, and if the protagonist is N7 again (hence the "What does N7 mean to you?" question) they could get away with having Human/Turian/Asari/Salarian being the primary species.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Getting a Krogan as a MC is almost certainly a lot more work than any other species.

Oops forgot about that. Meant spectre. There are so few N7 operatives that I mentally just combine the term.

True but that's kind of the point, for gameplay reasons at least, it'll give you more of a reason to try them out and will provide more variety between gameplay sections of different campaigns. If you want to do it the lazy or rather easier way then yeah you'd ignore them, but there's if your going to add more playable races you might as well do it right and add interesting gameplay implications, rather just humans in another skin.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It is. It expanded to "N7 Special Ops" for the Reaper war, and the multiplayer notes that N7 units now train other species. But doesn't say they officially become N7.

As Jarmel said it would a clean way of moving the lore forward though. I could see post-war N7 being a military designation that includes all manner of species, and if the protagonist is N7 again (hence the "What does N7 mean to you?" question) they could get away with having Human/Turian/Asari/Salarian being the primary species.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure post-Reaper invasion there would be greater emphasis placed on cohesion throughout the galaxy among the races, thus things like the Systems Alliance may no longer exist in favor on one all encompassing galactic government. Thus, N7 could simply be co-opted into this new Galactic Federation.

Okay, didn't know that as I never played ME3 Multiplayer. But good to know, now it all makes a little more sense.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

honestly prefer spectre to N7 but it seems more likely they'll stick with it since they have N7 day and all that merchandising, still spectre seemed like a more neutral rank rather than the more systems alliance focused N7, but I guess they'll use Shepard and Anderson to elevate it, to galaxy wide recognition.

Jarmel

Banned

They might make your species go through N7 training/final course as an introductory level then once you complete it, you do a mission and become a Spectre(or hold off on the Spectre designation for awhile). It could be some sort of commentary on how humans are more accepting of aliens into their culture if this is a sequel.

True but that's kind of the point, for gameplay reasons at least, it'll give you more of a reason to try them out and will provide more variety between gameplay sections of different campaigns. If you want to do it the lazy or rather easier way then yeah you'd ignore them, but there's if your going to add more playable races you might as well do it right and add interesting gameplay implications, rather just humans in another skin.

This is Bioware. Set your expectations to rockbottom at the door. I highly doubt we're even going to get different starting areas for each race despite that being a great way of introducing the alien cultures.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure post-Reaper invasion there would be greater emphasis placed on cohesion throughout the galaxy among the races, thus things like the Systems Alliance may no longer exist in favor on one all encompassing galactic government. Thus, N7 could simply be co-opted into this new Galactic Federation.

I could see them actually going that route as it would be a natural conclusion after the Battle of Earth (or whatever the proper name for it is). Having one unified military in case of another Reaper invasion sounds logical.

Lautaro

hey also asked an odd but hard question for everyone. They showed a lineup of a character from each main race in the series and asked us which two would we get rid of if we had to. I couldn't do it but I was sadly surprised at how many people said quarian and krogan.

Fuck these people!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They might make your species go through N7 training/final course as an introductory level then once you complete it, you do a mission and become a Spectre(or hold off on the Spectre designation for awhile). It could be some sort of commentary on how humans are more accepting of aliens into their culture if this is a sequel.

This is Bioware. Set your expectations to rockbottom at the door. I highly doubt we're even going to get different starting areas for each race despite that being a great way of introducing the alien cultures.

True but they already have the baseline from ME3 multiplayer, this game is from the folks that made that multiplayer mostly, and it worked really well with the krogans. It's not that much of stretch to think they could make a game with them since this dev team seems a lot more gameplay and encounter focused as shown by, the Omega DLC and ME3 multi.

I honestly don't think it's that much of a stretch unless they really don't want to try. I honestly think gameplay wise the multiplayer was well made so I actually have good expectations in regards to that. The story not so much.

So if you can play as an alien does that mean we'll finally cross the barrier into full on turian-salarian romance sex scenes?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Krogans and Turians are pretty much awesome tier in regards gameplay and classes (using entirely ME3 multi experience here) I could live without the rest aside from humans, dam those N7 classes were just too good.

Herne

me, while I agree we don't need a massive scale storyline, it doesn't mean you have to focus a game on the most mundane aspects of the universe (Hint Garrus left C-Sec because it was boring)

Garrus left C-Sec because he couldn't get anything done.

dr_rus

Yes. As Nirolak and I implied, the question is far more likely to do with which races will be playable in the campaign, not which species will appear outright in the narrative.
That would be a very strange place to spend resources on in a TPS. And for them to make an RPG again they'd better start with the basics and not different playable races.

spekkeh

Banned
Weird, I consider Quarians and Krogan in essence the most interesting species. One a sentient pest that nobody wants, the other a nomadic spacefaring tribe forced in exile by their servants. Though their stereotypical characterizations may have underserved them. Still much more interesting than Turians and Asari (basically funny looking humans).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think Bioware would dare to erase Krogans and Quarians from existence in ME4. I mean... they're as much part of the universe as Turians, Salarians and Asaris. There is no reason to get rid of them.

LuuKyK

I don't think Bioware would dare to erase Krogans and Quarians from existence in ME4. I mean... they're as much part of the universe as Turians, Salarians and Asaris. There is no reason to get rid of them.

Boring Member
image.php

They are both forgettable, thus the need for them to be replaced by better/more relevant/iconic races.

Bisnic

Boring Member
image.php

They are both forgettable, thus the need for them to be replaced by better/more relevant/iconic races.

Elcors and Hanars are even more forgettable than Quarians or Krogans, who both had major roles in the trilogy, yet I don't see people asking them to be removed.

How am i boring in my post exactly? Because I don't think they're gonna remove major races? lol

Mindlog

No krogans? Why? Clearly you have not experienced the awesomeness that is the krogan headbutt.
Rahhh. HAHA!

Playable races should be selected based on the niche they fill.
Humans: Well rounded vanilla flavor. approved
Turians: Boring as hell military humans. denied
Krogans: Comical militants that can easily be 'good' or 'evil.' approved
Quarians: DENIED
Asari: Hentai headed candy for some. Biotic demons for others. approved
Salarian: Hyperactive lizards with a penchant for tech. approved

That leaves a slot or two for a new species. approved

*Dark horse species that would be fantastic: Volus. Lots of room to play with the story and it could be part of an enhanced difficulty package. The Volus would play fairly differently than all the other species and the limited health/shields would add a level of difficulty to single player. After so much MP the SP is a joke.

Elcors and Hanars are even more forgettable than Quarians or Krogans, who both had major roles in the trilogy, yet I don't see people asking them to be removed.

How am i boring in my post exactly? Because I don't think they're gonna remove major races? lol
Your tag dude. =P

Nonentity

I am super interested in seeing what the team does, as multiplayer was far and away the best part of ME3. I hope they keep the difficulty level high, but I'd like to see them drop the random crates thing and give you some more options for getting gear and unlocks. The grind was a real slog in that game.

I'd even be okay with just having a currency you can grind out to buy individual specific unlocks versus the crate system.

I'm also curious as to how far they go with their multiplayer this time around. I would love it if they had some kind of metagame layered on top of it, to where playing individual maps contributed to something more than just your singleplayer readiness goal - some kind of campaign where you play through a few challenge maps for unique unlocks or stuff like that.

That being said, I'm happy they are leaning towards a sequel instead of a prequel.

EDIT: I want an Elcor mount to ride into battle.

Interesting. I've heard of these focus test events before. Assassin's Creed 2 was tested on random gamers by showing them an assassin running around rennnessaince Italy some time before the game was revealed. I'd say this is a pretty good indication on where things are headed for ME4.

Definitely sounds like a sequel. I think it would make the most sense to set it a long time after the events of ME3. This would let them start fresh and not have to worry about accounting for decisions made by players in the first trilogy. Attempting to have save games from the first trilogy count would be stupid and result in a massive mess of a game. Pick canon on all the things that would matter a thousand years after those events is the way to go.

They could go two ways for multiple playable races. They could do the skryrim approach that has players build a completely customized character or they could do the Gta 5 thing where you get to play as multiple protagonists. I'm actually more of a fan of the second approach because that really highlights the differences between the races.

I also want space combat and exploration.

LuuKyK

I know its my tag, but why doing a copy/paste of it when my post wasn't boring to begin with?

People do that sometimes, and I still don't get it. :(

I was just making a joke based on the fact that a user with the tag Boring Member like the most boring races in Mass Effect. I thought you would get it. >_>

Shengar

They could go two ways for multiple playable races. They could do the skryrim approach that has players build a completely customized character or they could do the Gta 5 thing where you get to play as multiple protagonists. I'm actually more of a fan of the second approach because that really highlights the differences between the races.

I also want space combat and exploration.
I choose the latter for better story perspective and meaning choice. The former is kinda stupid, and changing race feel doesn't really matter that much aside from stats since the change is miniscule.

Bisnic

I was just making a joke based on the fact that a user with the tag Boring Member like the most boring races in Mass Effect. I thought you would get it. >_>

But... i don't find the Krogans boring at all!

Asaris though... They're sexy blue women with tentacles on their head, and that's all they got.

Ogimachi

Who said anything about giving up on introducing the Raloi?
Nobody, but first they removed the Raloi from the Citadel during Mass Effect 3, now they're showing 2 entirely new species instead of showing one that's being teased since Mass Effect 2's daily news.
It sure doesn't look like they're interested in showing them.

Hindle

Banned
Anyone think they'll bring the followers or Agent feature to this? Sending a deputy to bring back info from the galaxy would be awesome.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But... i don't find the Krogans boring at all!

Asaris though... They're sexy blue women with tentacles on their head, and that's all they got.

But they're mercenaries and work at strip clubs mannn.... you can't go messing with peoples waifu's.

spekkeh

Banned
So I was thinking about whether this should be a sequel, prequel, midquel. And I figured, why not all at the same time? Go all David Lynch on our ass and thereby salvage the original series.

So destruction is the canonical ending, but Shepard as he blows up the catalyst, gets hit by the space magic and gleans the future, while simultaneously becoming a transcendental being. Turns out the Reapers were actually made to keep the Leviathans in check. Unbridled, the take over the world and destroy all of life, not just the sentient ones. So Shepard, being transcendental is able to project himself into the past, without being able to actually physically influence it. Turns out he was actually The Illusive Man all along, or at least the one indoctrinating TIM, trying to push Shepard into choosing control. Only of course he fails, so now you are a new person, who has to find a remaing catalyst piece and sacrifice yourself, so you can astrally project yourself and try to indoctrinate Anderson into stopping Shepard from killing TIM.

No?
Please?
Oh all right.

denx

Nobody, but first they removed the Raloi from the Citadel during Mass Effect 3, now they're showing 2 entirely new species instead of showing one that's being teased since Mass Effect 2's daily news.
It sure doesn't look like they're interested in showing them.

Doesn't mean they won't show up in the next game.

Also the people calling the krogan "boring" or that they should be written off the next game: your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Tacitus_

Gonna call it now. Shepard was the space jesus so every plot thread he was involved in got the best (or in other words, paragon) conclusion. This will be the official canon and the base for the next game.

MartyStu

I think this is an overly dramatic exaggeration, not to mention a grossly unfair slight to people that work hard bringing these games to life. Grow up.

Err, this is a bit dramatic for what was a harmless drive-by comment.

Bioware has not been churning out trash--DA2 was close--but there has been a sharp decline in quality in some areas that I feel justifies the essence of his (admittedly glib) comment.

A product may be sub-par no matter how hard its creators worked.

Xibalba

Neo Member
Err, this is a bit dramatic for what was a harmless drive-by comment.

Bioware has not been churning out trash--DA2 was close--but there has been a sharp decline in quality in some areas that I feel justifies the essence of his (admittedly glib) comment.

A product may be sub-par no matter how hard its creators worked.

Ya think? I stand by my comment. There's no need to trash everyone who worked on it feel crap because the end result was "sub-par" as you say - the point can still be made without being a dick about it.

Might as well then make it a free indie game, because nobody is going to buy that shit.

Come to think of it, has any sci-fi game with nothing but aliens ever been successful? Abe's Oddyssey is the only thing that jumps into my head, and I have no clue how successful any of the Oddworld titles have ever been.

Top Bottom