• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New species/details for ME4 from BW's private fan panel [Content deleted]

If they are going to introduce a new humanoid species, please be more like the Salarians, instead of something that looks like an actor in makeup, like the Drell or Batarians.

Woorloog

Banned
Why? Because you think people aren't smart enough to know what a canon ending is? And why is a far future sequel a compromise? I would definitely take this option over a direct continuation because it allows them to actually make something new and interesting. A lot can happen in 100+ years.

You choose ending A as canon, you piss off people who chose B, C or D.
You make endings affect the game but mostly in minor way, you piss off people who thought the decision would be important.
Major effect won't happen.
You ignore the endings, you create a big fucking plot-holes. Synthesis for example, should affect everything in major way. Yet if it is a canon ending behind the scenes, or people think it is, why is it never referred to? Why isn't its effects seen, in culture, economy, anything? If you refer to it, people who though another ending happened get annoyed.

A far-future sequel tries to be new and old at the same time, and most likely runs to the latter issue. Just make everything new, a hard reboot and there's no problems at all.
As i noted, i'd use ME1-era ME universe as backround mostly but build upon it differently. What if there were no Reapers, what if AIs were more commonplace, etc.

(A major issue with all scifi regardless of media is: Everything is like now but with futuristic trappings. Economics and culture do not change for some reason. "Like Reality Unless Noted")

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I want a large scope conflict back. I honestly can't remember the last RPG I played that wasn't large scope. I think the idea of leveling lends itself to a large scope with increased difficulty of conflict.

Mindlog

I wonder if the new species are the raloi. I hope not since I always had this image that they would look like tall chozo like beings all badass and stuff.

As much as ME3 turned me off the series I just love it too damn much. Release a sequel, don't mention the reapers or shepard, totally ignore the shepard trilogy and I'm in bioware. I'm just to invested in this series.
Raloi was the first thing that came to mind from reading their description.
I couldn't do it but I was sadly surprised at how many people said quarian and krogan.
Well that's half right. Quarians are terrible. The answer should have been Quarians and Quarians. Quarians and Turians would be an acceptable compromise.

If there's no VGX preview this is on your head EC!

You choose ending A as canon, you piss off people who chose B, C or D.
You make endings affect the game but mostly in minor way, you piss off people who thought the decision would be important.
Major effect won't happen.
You ignore the endings, you create a big fucking plot-holes. Synthesis for example, should affect everything in major way. Yet if it is a canon ending behind the scenes, or people think it is, why is it never referred to? Why isn't its effects seen, in culture, economy, anything? If you refer to it, people who though another ending happened get annoyed.

The problem with this line of thinking, at least in my opinion, is, that you assume that people actually expect their save games to carry over.

A far-future sequel tries to be new and old at the same time, and most likely runs to the latter issue. Just make everything new, a hard reboot and there's no problems at all.
As i noted, i'd use ME1-era ME universe as backround mostly but build upon it differently. What if there were no Reapers, what if AIs were more commonplace, etc.

(A major issue with all scifi regardless of media is: Everything is like now but with futuristic trappings. Economics and culture do not change for some reason. "Like Reality Unless Noted")

Star Wars has done that since forever and people accept it. Plus you don't know if the universe will change or not. I definitely expect the power relations to shift substantially to make room for new conflicts.

denx

Considering how bad the ME3 endings were, I don't think most people mind setting ME4 in the far future and having most of the consequences from the Red/Blue/Green choice swept under the rug. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I think that can be done rather easily if the game is set hundreds of years after ME3.

The only decisions that I see having long lasting, visible repercusions in ME4 are the resolutions of the Tuchanka and Rannoch arcs, which is why I think Bioware is considering dropping the quarians and krogans as playable races. Why make a ton of content for races that may be long extinct in people's playthroughs? (assuming there will be save importing in ME4).

Whatever the case, as long as they allow me to play as a volus and a salarian, I don't really care for what other races they make playable.

Also, lol at the guy still waiting for confirmation of the IT.

DMiz

If it is a sequel, I'm more-so curious as to how they're going to 'rescue' inter-planetary travel.

I'm sure there's going to be some contrivance that allows everyone to float around all known space again, and that most of the player choices made in Mass Effect 3 (and heck, the entire trilogy) are going to be wiped clean, but I'm one of those people that just have to know.

Still sad that they got rid of Krogan as a playable character race... Sounds like they just let the paragons in.

Woorloog

Banned
The problem with this line of thinking, at least in my opinion, is, that you assume that people actually expect their save games to carry over.

Because i've seen people complaining prequel would be a meaningless game. Presumably because it doesn't affect things and/or because you can't have your saves affecting it.
A sequel makes the original trilogy meaningless without save-file transfer, something people don't seem to be realizing while they complain about a possibility of a prequel and while wanting a sequel.

If i've interpreted this in wrong way... well, then perhaps people might be satisfied. Some people.

Woorloog

Banned
Considering how bad the ME3 endings were, I don't think most people mind setting ME4 in the far future and having most of the consequences from the Red/Blue/Green choice swept under the rug. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I think that can be done rather easily if the game is set hundreds of years after ME3.

Major consequences swept under a rug. Do not people realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

Because i've seen people complaining prequel would be a meaningless game. Presumably because it doesn't affect things and/or because you can't have your saves affecting it.
A sequel makes the original trilogy meaningless without save-file transfer, something people don't seem to be realizing while they complain about a possibility of a prequel and while wanting a sequel.

If i've interpreted this in wrong way... well, then perhaps people might be satisfied. Some people.

What people really want and the reason a sequel is seen in a better light than a prequel is because they want the illusion of choice, the illusion of consequences.

A prequel too close to the original trilogy removes all the illusion, any big choices you make will already be for naught in your mind. A sequel can always get that illusion back even if it's at the expense of what came before.

I want a sequel because the ME universe needs to get past ME3 and expand what it's capable of. Being stuck in the timeframe of First Contact War to ME3 would suck.

Plasma

Banned
I really hope that question was to pick what race you play as and not to get rid of the Krogans and the Quarians entirely.

Everything else makes it sound like they're on the right track with Mass Effect 4 though.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The whole story is already gimped the moment they switched out Drew Karpyshyn from Lead Writer position. The whole notion or focus of the universe is changing from what I saw in ME1. I still have the similar notion in ME2 though since Drew still actively involved with writing for the game. By ME3 I already know that the stuff was written by different a guy.

Yup, this is made super clear by just looking at the change of The Illusive Man and Cerberus from ME2 to ME3. Suddenly, this small organization with limited resources has fleets of ships and fighters and TIM turns into a ridiculously evil Bond villain. Then to make things worse he ends up being indoctrinated which ruins his entire character and his arc. No longer can you question the moral ambiguity of TIM's actions and whether they are right because it turns out he was indoctrinated so he never really had control over what he was doing in the first place.

Since Mac Walters has taken over he seems to revel in the destruction of the greatness that was Cerberus and TIM.

Major consequences swept under a rug. Do not people realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

Why? How is it any different than your suggestion of setting it in an alternate universe? A sequel set a hundred or so years after ME3 would be able to reboot the series and start fresh rather than building an entirely new galaxy again or trying to figure out someway to account for the endings which would be impossible.

I mean Synthesis? C'mon. That ending essentially resolves all conflict that could possibly ever occur in the entire galaxy forever. We are talking about an ending that forces everyone n the galaxy to be the same through some type of forced homogenization, where everyone understands each other. You really can't make a sequel based off of that ending hence why it must be ignored.

a916

- "Ancient, advanced, guardian" race. Like sci-fi stone golems with Tron-like glowing lines over their bodies and floating fragments/shards.

Hmm, where have I heard that one before.....

DidactArmor.jpg

Jharp

How the shit are they going to explain a new race showing up? I know Drell and that one violent insectoid species were added in 2, but I can't remember the explanation for that.

Hmm, where have I heard that one before.....

DidactArmor.jpg

Forerunners, protheans, AC's First Civilization, etc. etc. etc., this shit is so goddamn annoying at this point.

Mr_Zombie

And this is why we can't have nice things. (Some) people expect that any sequel to Mass Effect 3 will have to refer the ending of the last game. Which, given massive consequences each ending had on the whole universe, is impossible. Even if the sequel were placed X hundred years forward, each of the choices made by Shepard affected the universe in major ways, so BioWare would need to not mention them at all (which is impossible, given how important the whole Reapers' invasion was) and not include any species from the original trilogy (given you have a choice to synthesize organics and synthetics together). If you choose to destroy Reapers, all Mass Relays and synthetics were destroyed as well, which would cause each existing civilization to be pushed back few millenniums. And even if you choose the safest ending, the control one, you still had a choice to destroy two major races (Krogans, Quarians or Geths). Also, in some endings there Earth is no more (which would be important if the main character from ME4 could be human).

So if people really expect to see consequences of the ME3 ending (and all the major choices) in ME sequel, BioWare is fucked.

As for me, I really don't care. I just want new games in ME universe. Shepard and Repears storyline was finished and I want for BioWare to move on, not being held back by the trilogy.

If you choose to destroy Reapers, all Mass Relays and synthetics were destroyed as well, which would cause each existing civilization to be pushed back few millenniums.
Uh, what? I didn't think the Extended Cut was that much of an improvement over the ending of ME3, but it made it clear that the relays were only damaged instead of destroyed, like the original version implied. It's a major difference, because one has galactic civilization recovering within a sane amount of time, while the other has numerous populated planets obliterated all over the galaxy.

Forerunners, protheans, AC's First Civilization, etc. etc. etc., this shit is so goddamn annoying at this point.

It's all about the execution, like many tropes. When done well, it's perfectly fine. When done awfully, welp.

There's nothing wrong with the concept in and of itself, it's just the people behind it fail to make it no seem dumb as shit.

It's all about the execution, like many tropes. When done well, it's perfectly fine. When done awfully, welp.

There's nothing wrong with the concept in and of itself, it's just the people behind it fail to make it no seem dumb as shit.
I wouldn't dismiss concerns of oversaturation though. If everyone starts using the same tropes over and over, it's way more likely to alienate the audience by inserting them into new material.

Das Ace

Starting to believe this game comes out next year or early 2015.

VGA reveal maybe, E3 2014 gameplay reveal, and an early 2015 release. It won't come out next year because that would clash with Dragon Age, and that leaves a 2016 release for whatever Edmonton is working on.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Uh, what? I didn't think the Extended Cut was that much of an improvement over the ending of ME3, but it made it clear that the relays were only damaged instead of destroyed, like the original version implied. It's a major difference, because one has galactic civilization recovering within a sane amount of time, while the other has numerous populated planets obliterated all over the galaxy.

The Extended Cut makes no god damn sense and proves BioWare had no idea what they were thinking when they made their endings so I wouldn't exactly use it as proof.

I'm surprised that people would pick the Quarians and Krogan...I've always considered them amongst the more interesting races, at least looking at their history.

Turians/Salarians are pretty boring imo.

Asari have the "female only" gimmick but Bioware never does anything with it.

The "main races" must have left out a lot of b-teams like Volus, elkor, etc.

We're definitely not going to get save-file transfer across separate console gens...I can't even imagine how Bioware would work this out with Microsoft/Sony. There is no way for them to get access to those old saves without asking the console manufacturers to allow for some sort of cloud transfer or something.

I personally like the idea of the game being set a thousand years into the future....make everything Shepard did the stuff of legend. Maybe have an historian reference it or something, but most of the galaxy has by and large moved on a long time ago.

Here's hoping they don't rehash the whole Reaper conflict narrative with some kind of brand new undiscovered big bad. Just give us a new game with more character focused moments, more varied dialogue choices, and lots more exploration.

I am so tired of the typical Bioware story formula.

This is exactly how I feel.

I've said this a couple times now, but cliched as it sounds...I'd really like the next game to be Star Trek'ish.

I also hope that it's not combat/shooter specific. Why can't we do....anything else? Maybe give the option. You can choose to be a "Citadel infantrymen" or you can choose to join the "science corps" or something like that. I just really hope that these universe isn't always going to manifest itself as a theater for war.

denx

How the shit are they going to explain a new race showing up? I know Drell and that one violent insectoid species were added in 2, but I can't remember the explanation for that.

Like it was said before, there are tons of mass relays that haven't been activated yet for fear of something like the Rachni wars happening again. The people of the galaxy didn't know about humanity's existence until they activated the Charon mass relay by themselves. Bioware got their bases well covered lore-wise to introduce new species in the next game.

foxtrot3d

Banned

You must not have paid very much attention to the story or lore of Mass Effect. Only 1% of the galaxy has been explored so far, in case you don't know the galaxy is a very big place. Leaving aside all the uncharted worlds we haven't explored there are also tons of mass relays that haven't been opened yet which could lead to countless other advanced species. Hell, humans were only discovered about 30 years before the start of ME1.

So, Bioware can basically include new races for eternity.

Woorloog

Banned
Why? How is it any different than your suggestion of setting it in an alternate universe? A sequel set a hundred or so years after ME3 would be able to reboot the series and start fresh rather than building an entirely new galaxy again or trying to figure out someway to account for the endings which would be impossible.

I mean Synthesis? C'mon. That ending essentially resolves all conflict that could possibly ever occur in the entire galaxy forever. We are talking about an ending that forces everyone n the galaxy to be the same through some type of forced homogenization, where everyone understands each other. You really can't make a sequel based off of that ending hence why it must be ignored.

The difference is that with a hard reboot nothing was swept under a rug but outright ignored, be it good or bad. With a sequel, the end result is "lalala, we can't hear you about that one thing" while perhaps referring to some good things, most likely. Trying to have it both ways. It doesn't work. It shouldn't work at very least, it's a fucking cop-out.
And in my mind a same-universe sequel doesn't solve anything: Shit-with-capital-S happened and no matter how you try to ignore it, it doesn't go away really. Remake everything and the issue no longer exists, at least not within the new universe, perhaps it will have a decent ending this time.

Mass Effect has a great starting point, and i think BW should capitalize on that instead of trying to do something new within existing universe.
As much as i liked Halo 4, it is very, very different in feel compared to the original Halo Trilogy, almost a new universe with trappings of the old (as for why i accept is that the Halo expanded universe has foreshadowed this change already so there's some continuity). Far-future ME sequel would suffer from the same issues, and more due to the original trilogy's open endedness

As for Synthesis, i said it is shit. Of course, easiest way to spin it, and thus most likely one: Sure, everyone has some sort uber ability now but since everyone has it, it ain't special, and life goes on as it always has as usual in science fiction. Average alien-Joe goes work and his average idiot caricature politician pushes for war.

Sothpaw

My favorite TPS series. Will def pick up ME4. Would like them to make it more of an RPG as well, but not a huge deal.

Zen

Banned
What the fuck is going on with all the Quarian hate? Jesus

As a race they're also pretty 2 dimensional.

And everyone wanting to bang the equivalent of their younger sister was pretty freaky. They really should have gone with the white small/round dace design for them instead of the pandering one that they went with.

Talimancers were into some freaky shit on BSN and Bioware made them into assholes in ME3, which made everyone who hated them prior to that feel justified in their bias.

Tali herself was a pain in the ass.

Tali: Shepard, you can't choose the Geth over my people.
Shepard: Watch me Bitch, Legion! Upload DAT CODE SON!!.
Legion: Creator Tali, sucks to be you right now. Throwing yourself of that cliff sounds like the most reasonable decision.

Well at least is how it plays in my head.

thumb

Banned
Agreed that the endings are unsalvageable. If they're going to make another game, they need to reboot.

Also, the guy quoted by the OP seems to want IT (indoctrination theory) to be true. But given the follow up DLC on the reapers, that seems nigh impossible at this point.

Gawd. Still so disappointed.

I think it's dumb for people for erasing humans, they are like the most important race in the trilogies story.

Great NPC's like Commander Bailey, may he rest in peace, Kelly Chambers and that girl you punch in the face.

Fantastic crew members like Miranda, Jack and James.

Cerberus was crucial to the story also.

Agreed that the endings are unsalvageable. If they're going to make another game, they need to reboot.

Also, the guy quoted by the OP seems to want IT (indoctrination theory) to be true. But given the follow up DLC on the reapers, that seems nigh impossible at this point.

Gawd. Still so disappointed.
I don't care how implausible it is, the Indoctrination Theory will always be canon in my mind.

Exactly. I just hope they don't introduce another "end of all things as we know it" plot. Focus on the smaller conflicts, let us explore Homeworlds and major colonies more in-depth instead of two small areas or for some small, linear, and scripted area only to advance the story. More uncharted worlds, more side-missions like from ME2 and less like from 3.

I like this a lot. I'd love to get pulled into a civil war sort of deal between two new races that takes place on dozens of their exotic planets.

I lost that sense of exploration after ME1. I still LOVE the series, but the feel of the game certainly changed in 2 and 3.

Smaller in scope without the save the universe stuff. Give the player a feeling he doesnt have to rush things. Something like Blade Runner with a few Uncharted Worlds/Space Stations as side quests.

I'd like to see a new race arrive from outside of the galaxy, perhaps from one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies. It would be interesting to see how civilizations develop without the influence of Reaper technology.

Top Bottom