• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New species/details for ME4 from BW's private fan panel [Content deleted]

With this being most likely a sequel, I wonder if the Rachni (if saving them ends up being canon), Raloi, and Yahg will play bigger roles in the game.

I killed the Quarians in ME3
only in one playthrough ;)

Geth master race 4 lyfe
Truth! I really hope you can play as one in the new games, but seriously doubt it.

With this being most likely a sequel, I wonder if the Rachni (if saving them ends up being canon), Raloi, and Yahg will play bigger roles in the game.
I definitely want to see more of these in future games. The Yahg and Rachni are some of my favorite species in the Mass Effect universe.

I killed the Quarians in ME3
only in one playthrough ;)

Geth master race 4 lyfe

I saved them once in a playthrought that save them both. Tali's comments where so shitty and ungratful "Oh shepard I would had kill the Geth without hesitation" What the fuck Tali? not even the Illusive man speaks like such a villain. After that neither one gave me the chance of save them both so I kill the Quarians time and time again.

Banned
Oh sweet lawd. Yes. A sequel. Let me see how the galaxy evolved based off my decisions during the first three games.

Zen

Banned
That's like erasing humans. That won't happen for either. But especially Asari.

Asari are a very interesting race, probably one of the more fleshed out races in Mass Effect but also ones with the most potential and depth left yet to explore, so they'll never go.

For instance why hasn't there been a backlash against the race as a whole? They vex, are the perfect mates, ect, the best and brightest of other species and give birth to full blooded Asari's, essentially leeching from the other races around them to make themselves stronger. They might not see it that way, and certainly their loves are real, but other races might feel exploited.

Considering they are so long lived there should be Asari that might privately or otherwise regard the other races are lesser distractions, or even their loves as mere playthings to pass the time.

Seeing how a couple relates to one another when the 'human' is 70 and the Asari still looks like the 20 year old she fell in love with. How does an Asari really work through that so effortlessly on an emotional level, to say nothing of their partner.

The very nature of the the whole Maiden phase and the transitions... there's a lot about Asari culture that it seems they like to shine the best light on possible, but again, a lot of depth and potential differing viewpoints on that can be explored. I mean all young Asarui typically undergo a phase that lasts decades where they're trying to make themselves available for lack of a better term.

The Ardad Yatchi, racism against pure bloods (highly reactionary and based on their well masked insecurities when it comes to their own race in being perceived by the rest of the Galactic community).

There's a lot of material (even the Prothian interference) and potential depth to the race as a whole, they just need to step outside their comfort zone and grasp it.

I saved them once in a playthrought that save them both. Tali's comments where so shitty and ungratful "Oh shepard I would had kill the Geth without hesitation" What the fuck Tali? not even the Illusive man speaks like such a villain. After that neither one gave me the chance of save them both so I kill the Quarians time and time again.

I saved both in every playthrough and Tali never spoke like that to me. Perhaps it is because Legion and Tali began to trust one another in my pure paragon main story. I haven't played it recently enough to remember for sure.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Mass Effect IV

Still, the endings in DEHR were all part of that story, and they fit. Sarif's goals were pretty well-known throughout the game.

Unlike ME3, where you're presented with three arbitrary actions, with two that are out of left field (control and synthesis).

Honestly if they ended it before the star child, and just left it at Shepard activating the crucible, and destroying the reapers in the galaxy as well as disabling the mass relays, dying from his injuries with cutscenes showing how the galaxy progresses from this point while taking into account your choices throughout the games e.g Rachni's influence, and a bunch of the other small stuff I don't think the backlash would have been as great.

Sure a lot of people would be pissed off at the lack Reaper exposition and how the most significant effect on the galaxy you have is the same regardless of the path, and the fact Shepard dies but honestly after Andersons speech, I thought it was over, Shepard would die due to his injuries and further explanation of the reapers left to future games. Not an amazing ending but it'd fit tone of ME3 up to that point.

Also would have been much easier to produce a sequel for.

Tookay

Honestly if they ended it before the star child, and just left it at Shepard activating the crucible, and destroying the reapers in the galaxy as well as disabling the mass relays, dying from his injuries with cutscenes showing how the galaxy progresses from this point while taking into account your choices throughout the games e.g Rachni's influence, and a bunch of the other small stuff I don't think the backlash would have been as great.

Sure a lot of people would be pissed off at the lack Reaper exposition and how the most significant effect on the galaxy you have is the same regardless of the path, and the fact Shepard dies but honestly after Andersons speech, I thought it was over, Shepard would die due to his injuries and further explanation of the reapers left to future games. Not an amazing ending but it'd fit tone of ME3 up to that point.

Also would have been much easier to produce a sequel for.

That would have been a better ending.

It's not like the choices you made really mattered anyway.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's kind of hard to customize Quarians considering you can't even see their faces, so it makes sense why not many want them as playable characters. Krogan...well, they all look the same to me.

Wait, is that racist?

Customize the suit...

dr_rus

I could see them going for a semi-destroy kinda ending that muddles with the canon a bit. They're not going to please everyone no matter what they do, so they might as well embrace making a scenario that benefits the narrative the most. Shepard MIA/KIA, Reapers gone. Reaper destruction and damage to the relay in turn activated all dormant and existing relays, "completing" the relay network across the galaxy, resulting in mass connection of all space faring species and opening doors to uncharted worlds. Hence why two new major species enter the picture.
I bet that they'll just go with "Reapers somehow disappeared, every race somehow survived, Shepard and/or his team went on a long vacation never to be seen again, now let's start afresh".
This "sequel" will be as much of a sequel as a completely new sci-fi RPG would be. Which would actually be preferable after the ending of ME3 in pretty much every way possible. Oh well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I bet that they'll just go with "Reapers somehow disappeared, every race somehow survived, Shepard and/or his team went on a long vacation never to be seen again, now let's start afresh".
This "sequel" will be as much of a sequel as a completely new sci-fi RPG would be. Which would actually be preferable after the ending of ME3 in pretty much every way possible. Oh well.

I'm okay with this though, even if it's sloppy, because it's a best case scenario given how the trilogy ended. I don't want a prequel, and I don't want a midquel. I wand a sequence in that the setting allows for as many of the trilogy plot threads and narrative themes to be abandoned in favour of something new.

I'm of the belief that they should be honest with themselves that, with a sequel, it's impossible to please everyone. They can't make a game that successfully panders to all potential galaxy states in a satisfying way. So embrace it, and either pick an ending/state and make it canon, or make up something new that's a hodgepodge of all three.

Toxi

Banned
I'm glad to see Bioware is so confident in their franchise's future that they're asking their fans for tips on designing the next Mass Effect.
Talimancers were into some freaky shit on BSN and Bioware made them into assholes in ME3, which made everyone who hated them prior to that feel justified in their bias.
That's not quite fair. As Something Awful demonstrated, everyone was into freaky shit. What a scary site.

I saved both in every playthrough and Tali never spoke like that to me. Perhaps it is because Legion and Tali began to trust one another in my pure paragon main story. I haven't played it recently enough to remember for sure.

She didn't said it that bluntly but she did admited that she wouldn't feel an ounce of guilt erradicating the Geth. Even after meeting Legion, she did said she felt glad for Shepards decision.

DedValve

Banned
And if the Reaper's role was to stop a bigger threat?

That was the original plan anyways. They where trying to stop dark matter by harvesting advance species. It was just as dumb as the ending we got but previous games hinted at this and it wasn't too far-fetched.

I wish they would leave the big scale stuff and narrow down to a smaller story. Something like starting off working for C-Sec as a Detective in the Citadel or a Han Solo type going from system to system smuggling biotic mods/weapons which leads to making enemies/friendships and romances.

As much as I like Martin Sheen I would be pretty pissed if the likes of Mac Walters brings in Cerberus/Reaper style plots again

I'm glad to see Bioware is so confident in their franchise's future that they're asking their fans for tips on designing the next Mass Effect.

They've always heavily sourced fan feedback. The most recent example is how much of what is advertised about DA:I is a return to dragon age origins rather than DA2.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I was struggling to think of a race I hated as much as Asari.

Yes. They should both go.

Lol how, the Drell isn't even really a race, you come across all of two and ME3 multiplayer even reuses models.

I wish they would leave the big scale stuff and narrow down to a smaller story. Something like starting off working for C-Sec as a Detective in the Citadel or a Han Solo type going from system to system smuggling biotic mods/weapons which leads to making enemies/friendships and romances.

As much as I like Martin Sheen I would be pretty pissed if the likes of Mac Walters brings in Cerberus/Reaper style plots again

Sounds too small, time, while I agree we don't need a massive scale storyline, it doesn't mean you have to focus a game on the most mundane aspects of the universe (Hint Garrus left C-Sec because it was boring)

Make us a spectre again and have us explore the galaxy, It was a nice middle ground in ME1 where you were important but not the saviour of the galaxy yet and you were simply doing your own thing.

A big galactic conspiracy would be the easiest way to keep the stakes high and let you explore the galaxy at your leisure while not needing to one up the Reapers.

I want this to be the case. I don't want a direct sequel. I mean sure, I'd like to maybe see what happened to Joker and the crew, but I also don't.

I want to see thousands of years in the future. I want to see how their worlds have been rebuilt. Are all the conflicts in the trilogy resolved? What of the genophage? How have the mass effect relays been reconstructed or have they at all? I want Shepard to be ancient history and a piece of the lore of the universe, as with the other characters. I don't want Shepard to wake up and be okay and "wahoo the reapers are dead/not dead, everything's cool now" until a new enemy comes. The Mass Effect universe is insanely rich with potential. Maybe everything failed and the reapers lived on somehow and evolved and ME4 takes place in the times of the next cycle?

I don't know, but what I do know is I don't want a prequel, I already know how the story ends. I don't want a direct sequel, there is no way they can salvage Shepard's story. I want to go somewhere new and fresh... and play as an Asari. (Please please please)

Jarmel

Banned
None of the races are going to be axed out. People are losing their minds over that line when the implication is probably something else. Salarians, Turians, and Humans are all extremely solid picks for a possible species for the main character. Now that leaves Asari compared to either Quarian or Krogans for MC(unless the Geth were on the table in which the Geth should have gotten priority). Of these three both the Krogans and Quarians can both be extinct in some people save files. Now that doesn't guarantee anything as we don't know how the files are going to transfer over but it is something to be aware of. Then for the Krogan to be the MC, there are a shitload of technical issues that Bioware would have to be aware of due to the size of Krogans. That's not even including a ton of lore stuff. Krogans were probably the least likely to be a selectable race. So that leaves Asari vs Quarians. This is much more iffy but I could see the Asari winning out due to female marketing. Bioware gets to brag that they have an exclusively female(yes yes they're sexless blah blah) race for players to pick. The Asari are also a Council race already and have had N7 operatives in the past so it fits more into the lore than the Krogans or Quarians.

I hope they keep all the races and just add more. Also everyone should look at all the great professional creature designs that have come out of Z brush for some fresh inspiration. We need less humanoid based aliens.
125_tid_1.%20Alien%20Creature%20Ken%20Barthelmey.jpg

If Bioware could flesh out similar type of designs with their great character development... Shepard help me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
None of the races are going to be axed out. People are losing their minds over that line when the implication is probably something else. Salarians, Turians, and Humans are all extremely solid picks for a possible species for the main character. Now that leaves Asari compared to either Quarian or Krogans for MC(unless the Geth were on the table in which the Geth should have gotten priority). Of these three both the Krogans and Quarians can both be extinct in some people save files. Now that doesn't guarantee anything as we don't know how the files are going to transfer over but it is something to be aware of. Then for the Krogan to be the MC, there are a shitload of technical issues that Bioware would have to be aware of due to the size of Krogans. That's not even including a ton of lore stuff. Krogans were probably the least likely to be a selectable race. So that leaves Asari vs Quarians. This is much more iffy but I could see the Asari winning out due to female marketing. Bioware gets to brag that they have an exclusively female(yes yes they're sexless blah blah) race for players to pick. The Asari are also a Council race already and have had N7 operatives in the past so it fits more into the lore than the Krogans or Quarians.

Yes. As Nirolak and I implied, the question is far more likely to do with which races will be playable in the campaign, not which species will appear outright in the narrative.

BioWare has been quite upfront that multiple playable species is one of the most hotly requested additions to the series, something they explored thoroughly with Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (which had basically every major species). But realistically there's no way they can make all of the species playable in the campaign, considering the workload of modelling/texturing/animating character/armour/weapon/cinematic variables, dialogue alterations, additional voice work/filtering, and so on.

So, if we're going to play as multiple species, they're going to have to keep it limited. And if Dragon Age: Inquisition is used as reference point, four playable species in single player would be the sweet spot.

Humans are a given. That leaves (including B-tier species) Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, Quarian, Geth, Drell, Batarian, Vorcha, and Volus. Cut it down to Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, and Quarian to cover the "main species" and you're still two species too many. Gonna have to plan to cut two, people are going to be shitty either way, so you might as well go to the fans and see what the lower percentage of fan rage would be. Asari and Turian would be incredibly safe guarantees, in my opinion, so that leaves one opening.

This is assuming they actually do this, of course.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly wouldn't mind if multiple races are playable, if the used the multiplayer unique quirks as a base and expanded on them a fair bit, hell if you do get to play as different races it's probably what they will do.

Still Turian Havok soldier is by far the most awesome concept from the ME3 multiplayer ( and by that I mean the havoc strike), not the most effective since it was mostly a poor mans vanguards but holy shit did it look and feel awesome.

A far more expanded version of that would be sooo good....

I hope they keep all the races and just add more. Also everyone should look at all the great professional creature designs that have come out of Z brush for some fresh inspiration. We need less humanoid based aliens.
125_tid_1.%20Alien%20Creature%20Ken%20Barthelmey.jpg

If Bioware could flesh out similar type of designs with their great character development... Shepard help me.

That looks more like an animal, rather than a sentient being. Yeah yeah I know, Elcors and Hanars but those are mostly the butt of the jokes.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes. As Nirolak and I implied, the question is far more likely to do with which races will be playable in the campaign, not which species will appear outright in the narrative.

BioWare has been quite upfront that multiple playable species is one of the most hotly requested additions to the series, something they explored thoroughly with Mass Effect 3's multiplayer (which had basically every major species). But realistically there's no way they can make all of the species playable in the campaign, considering the workload of modelling/texturing/animating character/armour/weapon/cinematic variables, dialogue alterations, additional voice work/filtering, and so on.

So, if we're going to play as multiple species, they're going to have to keep it limited. And if Dragon Age: Inquisition is used as reference point, four playable species in single player would be the sweet spot.

Humans are a given. That leaves (including B-tier species) Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, Quarian, Geth, Drell, Batarian, Vorcha, and Volus. Cut it down to Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, and Quarian to cover the "main species" and you're still two species too many. Gonna have to plan to cut two, people are going to be shitty either way, so you might as well go to the fans and see what the lower percentage of fan rage would be. Asari and Turian would be incredibly safe guarantees, in my opinion, so that leaves one opening.

This is assuming they actually do this, of course.

Might as well just make it the Council races if the MC is going to be a N7 operative. No stretching the lore and they all look remotely humanoid so you don't have to figure out how a Krogan gets inside certain rooms without making mansion hallways. Simple and clean.

Are there Salarian biotics?

No Salarian biotics and no Asari engineers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Might as well just make it the Council races if the MC is going to be a N7 operative. No stretching the lore and they all look remotely humanoid so you don't have to figure out how a Krogan gets inside certain rooms without making mansion hallways. Simple and clean.

No Salarian biotics and no Asari engineers.

No krogans? Why? Clearly you have not experienced the awesomeness that is the krogan headbutt..

I honestly think they should just keep it to the 5 major ME1 races, humans, krogans, turians, asari and quarians. If one of those had to go it would be quarians since for most purposes they're just a human variant gameplay wise. They don't really add anything unique.

Top Bottom