• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: No Man's Sky leak around v1.3 update

I put the game aside after a few days and refused to sell it until now. Didn't play any of the previous updates either.

With 1.3 it looks like I'll get to play an entirely different game.

Nessus

On the one hand I appreciate that they are continuing to support NMS.

On the other I can't help but wonder how much longer they can keep doing this, is it economical? Do they get enough sales as a result of these updates to make it worthwhile?

Or I guess is this a passion project now, where a small studio is determined to make the game they originally set out to make?

On the other I can't help but wonder how much longer they can keep doing this, is it economical? Do they get enough sales as a result of these updates to make it worthwhile?

Or I guess is this a passion project now, where a small studio is determined to make the game they originally set out to make?
It was always a passion project. This is the game they wanted to make and they'll continue to do so.

People are still playing it, NMS threads seem to get a lot of replies here and on reddit from people that play it and are still excited about its new additions.

QRBgiUT.png
Hooooooly... this is definitely a big update. Synthetic planets?

KORNdoggy

it's not really a worry you need to be concerned with. they made millions in sales and yet gained a poor reputation. this could literally be a case of good will so that they don't have a dark cloud hanging over them when they release a new game in the future.

I imagine it's the latter using the funds from the original set of sales. I always got the impression that the passion was there even if all of the game wasn't (was still enough to give me what I wanted though), and that they really do have this vision of achieving the 'impossible game' they joked about making right at the start of it all.

It can't have been easy (not excusing anything) for them this past year and I hope they're managing to enjoy what they're doing again at this stage, because that will inevitably lead to better and more persistent updates.

Freeman76

Despite the large majority of internet plebs thinking otherwise, Sean is a decent fella with a good work ethic and probably wont rest until he achieves his goal.

gossi

They had the 2nd biggest Playstation launch ever after Uncharted, and the 5th biggest new franchise launch of all time across all platforms.

The game is still $60 on Steam after a year, and from SteamSpy it's still selling. 32k people play on average a day on PC still, and that's excluding Playstation. To put it into perspective that's several times the peak of Battleborn, and 10 times the peak launch of Lawbreakers - and this is a year into the game's launch.

MattAces

What's amazing here is they didn't went to the route of "Hey we ran out of money to continue support, sorry, that's development for ya."
No matter how well the game sold, they still provided a very solid support as an indie team, seems like they are utilizing those funds properly to prevent any economical problem.

Loudninja

32k people play on average a day on PC still, and that's excluding Playstation. To put it into perspective that's several times the peak of Battleborn, and 10 times the peak launch of Lawbreakers - and this is a year into the game's launch.
Wow. I hadn't checked the numbers in a long time but last time I saw people posting about them it was because it was X months after the game and there were only players in the hundreds.

Any idea when it picked back up so drastically?

Hooooooly... this is definitely a big update. Synthetic planets?
I hadn’t taken a close look but yeah the floor looks like its made from solar cells instead of natural materials.

Between that and crashed freighters and portals and story and everything else I think this is gonna be a pretty meaty update.

Which is both a pain and a blessing as I only recently booted NMS back up to finally try out the 1.1 and 1.2 updates. Been working my way through the employee missions to get all the new blueprints. Really enjoying the extra things to do and the rewards you get. Having the vehicles really does change things up, boosting off mountain cliffs for massive jumps is a tonne of fun.

JP

This is going to be today, isn't it? Or at the very least we'll get one of those update trailers that makes me say "squee".

Oh man I've been playing a lot for the past few days and can't wait to play more new stuff! It looks really good. Please release today so I can play tonight!

Just curious about getting a consensus.... If this kind of support continues for another year or two, will No Man's Sky's reputation to the general public be salvageable? Like even my friends who don't really pay attention to video games laugh when they see I have the collector's edition sitting on a shelf.

MattAces

Just curious about getting a consensus.... If this kind of support continues for another year or two, will No Man's Sky's reputation to the general public be salvageable? Like even my friends who don't really pay attention to video games laugh when they see I have the collector's edition sitting on a shelf.

To an extent yea. People who are irrational will remain that way unfortunately. It's similar to Destiny, they kind of redeemed themselves with Taken King and now people are back to the hype train for Destiny 2, but you are still seeing the same memes on /r/gaming or some random meme gaming Facebook page.

13ruce

Banned
To an extent yea. People who are irrational will remain that way unfortunately. It's similar to Destiny, they kind of redeemed themselves with Taken King and now people are back to the hype train for Destiny 2, but you are still seeing the same memes on /r/gaming or some random meme gaming Facebook page.

Only thing what dissapoints me about destiny 2 still is not the promised open world maybe destiny 3 will do that if anthem is succesfull.

Rest of the game was awesome tho and i really liked the gunplay/gameplay had some nice moments with friends.

Okay holy shit i will start playing this weekend if update is live.

The wait for this update is a killer. I just bought Horizon: Zero Dawn in the PSN summer sale - a highly regarded game I've been dying to play since launch... but I have zero interest in booting it up right now because all I can think about is NMS.

I don't think 32k people play a day. That's around the two week average. Yeah daily average is 1.1k.

If that. It hasn't really been over 1,000 a day...well ever. A patch would come, people would get bored, stop playing but wait for the next patch. So there's a huge amount of people waiting. I've been waiting 5 months.

Is there anyway of telling how many play on PS4? I would imagine it was higher due to it not having the problems the PC version has.

Looks like were getting some really sexy depth of field, also I noticed there are NO clouds in ANY of the screens?

edit: that artwork is godtier, I might have a new avi soon...

JP

OK, everybody do what I'm doing, switch your PS4 on and repeatedly say "Download you bastard, download". It's not worked yet but I think it may if we all do it at the same time.

God damn at those pictures, they better have the update out by the time I go home today or im gonna start sending death threats straight to Sean!
Im really not, any behaviour like that is disgusting and the people who do should be ashamed of themselves

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
have to give credit to Hello Games. they could've took the money they made and moved on or charged for DLC but these free updates have added a lot to the game and really improved it.

i kinda feel bad for only paying £10 for the game now. i might pick it up on PC at some point now.

Widge

It makes me want to get back into it, but I can't put hours into this and Elite at the same time. Especially after I picked up Elite again after some good hours with this and spend my first 5 minutes bouncing around the inside of a space station thanks to a finger twister mishap.

have to give credit to Hello Games. they could've took the money they made and moved on or charged for DLC but these free updates have added a lot to the game and really improved it.

i kinda feel bad for only paying £10 for the game now. i might pick it up on PC at some point now.

If you have the PC to run it, I highly recommend picking it up. The modding community has really picked up the slack between the gap of these updates.

gossi

Seems like there will be further visual improvement too, it's listed as one of the section in github.

And more pics
68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f6e6d735f61746c61735f68675f6465745f3032362d313434302e6a7067

68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f4e65775f53746f72792d313434302e6a7067

Yep - I confirmed myself using the CSS file on their Azure CDN in the changes they have a section, with images, called Visual Improvements.

So can someone who has really enjoyed the game help me understand the core loop?

I bought the game day one and didn't care for it and decided to wait until the team had time to flesh out what they wanted to do. A year later, here we are.

I'm even coming as a person who considers Minecraft Survival mode to be among the greatest gaming experiences ever, so I'm fairly open-minded about a non linear structure.

What bothers me and STILL bothers me after all of these updates is that the actual loop action of being on the planet consists of mining materials to build a better spaceship so you can keep going to the next procedurally-generated planet where they may or may not be a few traces of benign lifeforms rolling about.

I don't care about multiplayer. I don't care about base-building. I don't even care about improved ship control. None of that matters if the purpose of the game - this narrative that keeps being bandied - about exploring strange new sci-fi worlds really amounts to a bunch of pretty but uninteresting worlds with no real life.

I've been waiting on the 'GTA Patch' or the "Far Cry Patch' forever, ie, basically, a patch that will put somewhat interesting animations and routines and lifeforms and ecosystems on various planets. I'm trying to understand what is interesting about going to a new planet if the potential for watching a new and strange eco-system just isn't there? or ANY ecosystem? I just want to enjoy passively (or disrupt) the circle of life on a strange new world. That, I imagine is the REWARD for playing. That's the whole purpose of going to new planets, right?

When you compare this to something like Minecraft or Elite: Dangerous, their loops and rewards are obvious. Minecraft, particularly survival mode, is about lasting each cycle as you build a more robust home for protection. You advance through exploration of world which you directly affect - which is rewarding. The building is rewarding. The combat is simplistic, but the atmosphere makes up for it as you struggle to make it to the dawn. Your skills grow, your creation becomes more complex, and the loop continues until you've evolved to create complex mechanisms (which are rewarding) and ultimately explore your way to the core of the universe.

Elite: Dangerous' entire game is about flight, which is complex, so the act of doing it successfully is the reward. Adding combat, complex exploration, and mining on top of that just builds on the core play.

What is NMS? It's not about the flying. Is it about collecting minerals? Fighting boring robots in the same caves? Flying off to the new landscape, and repeating the process so you can build a better ship to do the same thing?

Sorry for the rant, but i'm not one of those NMS haters. I never cared about all of the stuff that wasn't in the game because i figured it would get there eventually. I'm just hoping that some fan of the game can explain what I'm missing so that I can start playing it that way because I REALLY want to enjoy this game....

Might be a stupid question, but why are most of the screenshots really dark when they're from the source files that would have been displayed on the update page, free of any CSS opacity or lightbox?

Looks like were getting some really sexy depth of field, also I noticed there are NO clouds in ANY of the screens?

edit: that artwork is godtier, I might have a new avi soon...

Shit! That's something that could be a surprise, because they can turn them off in photo mode (I think?). I can't imagine that's not in either. There doesn't seem to be anything left to put in :D

Wow, no one would have said that this time last year :D

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If you have the PC to run it, I highly recommend picking it up. The modding community has really picked up the slack between the gap of these updates.

yeah my PC can handle it no problem but i heard it was designed more for a controller and not keyboard/mouse. i'll check it out at some point.

Wow, no one would have said that this time last year :D

like i said...they have done a great job improving the game so yeah :)

13ruce

Banned

Agreed got it cheap too and the post game support is insane, they could have moved on or released this as paid dlc expansions.

Seems like the rushed game statement from Miyamoto is not always true:p a broken/bad game can be improved and fixed in the age of patches.

I company like EA or Activision would probably have moved on or charged for all these big updates.

I made funny jokes about Sean back in the day also a few on gaf but i would like to take those back and apologize he might have been wrong on things but with this insane support i will forgive him and the devs at hello games for sure.

yeah my PC can handle it no problem but i heard it was designed more for a controller and not keyboard/mouse. i'll check it out at some point.

like i said...they have done a great job improving the game so yeah :)

The new UI may or may not address that but it is by no means a terrible KBM experience. It's just kinda like Skyrim. Not ideal, serviceable but annoying enough for people to complain about it.

If that. It hasn't really been over 1,000 a day...well ever. A patch would come, people would get bored, stop playing but wait for the next patch. So there's a huge amount of people waiting. I've been waiting 5 months.

Is there anyway of telling how many play on PS4? I would imagine it was higher due to it not having the problems the PC version has.
Oh really? Maybe I read SteamDB wrong. Only a cursory glance but looking 1k+ for the last two weeks.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Agreed got it cheap too and the post game support is insane, they could have moved on or released this as paid dlc expansions.

Seems like the rushed game statement from Miyamoto is not always true:p a broken/bad game can be improved and fixed in the age of patches.

I company like EA or Activision would probably have moved on or charged for all these big updates.

I made funny jokes about Sean back in the day also a few on gaf but i would like to take those back and apologize he might have been wrong on things but with this insane support i will forgive him and the devs at hello games for sure.

same. laughed at them but i take it all back. i'm sorry HG :(

Top Bottom