• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

Crisis

Banned
AndyD said:
It would be funny if its free to chat but you can only start or be invited by a premium member. Then as long as one of your friends is a premium it works.

I could see this applied to other stuff too like voice messages. Free to listen but pay to send.

Great way to lure more people into it too when they first hand experience some of the benefits.

I think that's what they're going to do.

Shinriji

Yesterday, with the new SSF4 patch, a new option to invite was created.

"Invite friend ID
Invite players met
Invite chat room"

And that option was disabled yesterday. Hmmm....:D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shinriji said:

"Invite friend ID
Invite players met
Invite chat room"

Probably because you were not into a text chat room when you checked it the second time. It's an old feature actually which allows to invite everybody in an active chat room.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Crisis said:
I think that's what they're going to do.

That would actually be nice. That way you don't have a complete separation. The question is now cross game chat vs. parties and party chat. Or if they allow free to chat 1 to 1 and premium up to 4-8.

xero273

Shinriji said:

"Invite friend ID
Invite players met
Invite chat room"

I thought you could already do that. At least on the gaf chat, you can invite everyone in that room.

spats

InfiniteNine said:

f0rj8x.png

I'm interested to see what they think they can offer that is worth the price. The problem I have is there ARE going to try to convince you to buy this and that means giving it something the free service SHOULD have or buy removing something we use now. I have to be cynical but there isn't anything they could possibly offer to make me pay even a penny of extra money each month.

Pimpwerx

Wow! So Sony is actually going with a premium service too? I think it's time I finally sold my PS3 and bought a Wii. I haven't played this thing in months anyway.

What inspired this decision of theirs? Was PSN becoming that much of a drain on them? I found that PSN got me to buy tons of games. I bought almost all the weekly releases for a while, and considered subscribing to Qore. The demos got me to buy a couple disc games, though their demo release policy was crap then. I don't like the idea of a premium service. I figure Sony owns so much media that they should be making a killing on movie and music sales through the store. PEACE.

Cruzader

Banned
I wont pay for another Qore sub, instead opt for PSN+.

They should either get rid of Qore or add it for free for PSN+ members. Not sure who the hell would pay for both nor for Qore itself(after PSN+ is revealed that is) as its a shit service.

Issun23

Pimpwerx said:
Wow! So Sony is actually going with a premium service too? I think it's time I finally sold my PS3 and bought a Wii. I haven't played this thing in months anyway.

What inspired this decision of theirs? Was PSN becoming that much of a drain on them? I found that PSN got me to buy tons of games. I bought almost all the weekly releases for a while, and considered subscribing to Qore. The demos got me to buy a couple disc games, though their demo release policy was crap then. I don't like the idea of a premium service. I figure Sony owns so much media that they should be making a killing on movie and music sales through the store. PEACE.

Apparently the new service won't affect the existing model.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pimpwerx said:

PSN is still free for online games. PSN+ just adds more features on top of it.

Sapiens

Pimpwerx said:

PSN will stay the same. They're just adding extra stuff for premium people.

If this is the same price as XBL, I'm in. If it's more, I won't bother, and I'll keep the same functionality I have now.

Pimpwerx said:

Read what TTP wrote. The PSN stays exactly the same for those who don't want Premium.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BobTheFork said:
I'm interested to see what they think they can offer that is worth the price. The problem I have is there ARE going to try to convince you to buy this and that means giving it something the free service SHOULD have or buy removing something we use now. I have to be cynical but there isn't anything they could possibly offer to make me pay even a penny of extra money each month.

They already said no removing several times. So your other suggestion that they will charge for something we want but don't have makes sense.

There are a few things I would want and be willing to pay for as long as its reasonable.

- Cloud saves for all games, universal. No more worries of transfers from one console to another when I upgrade, or move saves with USB drives in my house between units.
- Voice messages to friends 10-30 second limit or so.
- Native Netflix app on the XMB (superfluous fo rme now because our new Tivo works great and does search without a need for a que)
- Widgets and other apps.
- a fully working Firefox/Opera/Chrome browser (Chrome makes sense since the Google/Sony announcement)
- a fully working media manager a la Boxee that works with DLNA and also external hard drives. I would gladly pay a one time fee to have my PS3 have a very nice media manager that can pick up my terrabyte server with all my music, movies, TV shows and pictures.

There are many other things, but these are some of my non gaming related ones.

Issun23 said:
Apparently the new service won't affect the existing model.
LOL he knows that, it's posted all over the thread. It;s going to be a loose talking point for awhile "Sony is charging now, fail" '

Edit: yeah I think I remember hearing the voice messages and it sounded like the worst idea they had yet. Seriously what is the point? Somehow you can't just talk to the other person or send then text but stopping and recording a 30 second message fore them to hear later is a better option. : (

Pimpwerx said:

read the last few posts next time :lol

Danielsan

Azrael said:
My educated guess is demos for all new PSN games.
Would be bleh.
I want at least the subscription fee worth of free psn games and PSP games playable on the PS3.
They really need to do something special to make me pay for additional features.
I'm perfectly content with the online service as it is.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Azrael said:
My educated guess is demos for all new PSN games.

The most logical thing is that if x-game chat is in PSN+, non-PSN+ people will also be able to participate in it, but not be able to instigate a x-game chat session or host one. PSN+ people will be able to start/host a chat session with any PSN member, but not vice versa.

It addresses the whole 'lol, x-game chat only with psn+ people? lol' concern.

Pimpwerx said:

Online gaming and every service you use now will still be free (and apparently there'll be other additions, according to TTP :p), so I wouldn't worry at all.

About the bolded part, maybe they would make more money on their movies if they would fucking release their video service in Canada already. Damn it, Sony.

edgefusion

I look forward to Sony announcing this to uproarious cheers and clapping from the "journalists" in attendance. If the Microsoft conference yesterday taught me anything those guys will cheer anything, they're like a bunch of seals.

MrPliskin

Banned
edgefusion said:
I look forward to Sony announcing this to uproarious cheers and clapping from the "journalists" in attendance. If the Microsoft conference yesterday taught me anything those guys will cheer anything, they're like a bunch of seals.

I dunno, sounded more like 30% of the audience was cheering, the rest were just blank.

AndyD

aka andydumi
edgefusion said:

I dont know man, the only serious claps were at GoW3 and at the end when everyone got a free 360. Other than that it was very weak compared to other years.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
gofreak said:
The most logical thing is that if x-game chat is in PSN+, non-PSN+ people will also be able to participate in it, but not be able to instigate a x-game chat session or host one. PSN+ people will be able to start/host a chat session with any PSN member, but not vice versa.

That sounds totally logical and makes complete sense but this is GAF so it must be untrue.

Goldrusher

Pimpwerx said:

21exqfb.jpg

Banned
gofreak said:

Unless 2 non PSN+ people want to chat.

MrPliskin

Banned
Goldrusher said:

I don't think he was trying to troll, I just thing he was completely unaware and really didn't follow anything about this.

It would help if people would save a few minutes (and some face) to simply read the thread, then they wouldn't get laughed at.

Shinriji said:

"Invite friend ID
Invite players met
Invite chat room"

That option is there to invite an entire text chat to your SF4 room. It's not disabled, you just weren't in a text chat at the time.

kassatsu

Banned
Unless they handle demos a new way. I don't see how all psn games would have them. It is a matter of priorities for devs.

Crisis

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I don't think he was trying to troll, I just thing he was completely unaware and really didn't follow anything about this.

It would help if people would save a few minutes (and some face) to simply read the thread, then they wouldn't get laughed at.

That would require Pimpwerx to know what he was talking about.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Karma said:
Unless 2 non PSN+ people want to chat.

Obviously. Unless you got a friendly PSN+ third party to host a chat where the two of you could come together (assuming it is party chat). The thing people were saying though was if PSN+ could only x-game chat with other PSN+ people it would be rather limited if few on your friends list had it...

Kittonwy

Banned
edgefusion said:

Seals aren't stupid, this will happen only if Sony gives out free PS3s.

Banned
slider said:
That's stating the obvious isn't it?

I thought he was trying to address the problem of people complaining about paying for cross game chat. If that is the case his solution doesnt work.

gofreak said:
The thing people were saying though was if PSN+ could only x-game chat with other PSN+ people it would be rather limited if few on your friends list had it...

Now it makes sense. It does fix that.

Top Bottom