• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dunno how much weight you want to put into it, but Joystiq say 'a source' has revealed to them details of the premium 'PSN+' service Sony's planning to unveil at E3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/rumor-sony-to-reveal-psnplus-subscription-service-at-e3-2010/

Unlike Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold service, PSN+ will focus on giving paid subscribers additional bonuses without limiting online multiplayer between paying and nonpaying users.

I'll just list the things they're rumouring to save me quoting the whole article and feeling a bit cheap about it:

- Access to rotating list of Playstation minis and PSone classics (the freebie games previously rumoured?)
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- Playstation Store discounts
- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish (PSN games? There ain't many retail games on the PSN store currently...)
- Playstation Protection Plan coverage
- Exclusive access to cross-game chat
- Access to auto/background patching of games

Following launch, more features are supposedly planned including the cloud-based save system. Their source speculates that the service may cost $9.99/month... seems steep to me, depending on the level of Store discounts on offer, but this seems to be speculation rather something their source is relaying as fact.

Hanmik

gofreak said:
- Access to rotating list of Playstation minis and PSone classics (the freebie games previously rumoured?)
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish (PSN games? There ain't many retail games on the PSN store currently...)

- pay money to get discounts? :lol
- Pay for Cross-game chat..? console war megaton.. :D

DonMigs85

They're charging for the "privilege" of not having to remain stuck on that "You cannot perform background download of this content" screen???

FrankT

It's one of the main features they were asking about on the survey and pretty much why I doubted the VG247 article.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck it, if this is what they gotta do to keep multi free, then I'm all for it.

Cross game chat is kinda bogus though, but will probably be the main drive behind the premium package.

Edit: Ok, if $10 a month is true, then that is suicide. My bet is that its 10 for ALL of that, plus more, with cheaper prices if you take stuff off, like protection plan option for instance.

Suzzopher

Last I saw the download in the background patches was meant to be in a firmware update earlier this year. I wondered why it hadn't appeared. It's like they listened to what we all needed our console to do and then charge for it. Seriously this is utter bullshit Sony!!!

The vg247 and this both have things I heard were coming but then some stuff wasn't on it. Also I thought there were going to options for that would tailor to the end users needs.

Lothars

I don't believe the cross game chat, they have already said it's not going to be a pay for feature but the rest of the stuff other than the auto game downloading/patching I do have an issue with which should be free, the discount I could see happening as well.

So $120 a year? Are they out of their fucking minds? This is the PS3 and PSPGo pricing all over again. Do they have anybody in that fucking company that can think for them before doing shit, or are they all just apes?

I don't give a shit that cross game chat is a paid service, it's the damn price for it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
gofreak said:
- Exclusive in-game DLC

urg

Hanmik said:
This happens on 360 all the time. They regularly have gold only discounts on games, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DonMigs85 said:
They're charging for the "privilege" of not having to remain stuck on that "You cannot perform background download of this content" screen???

TheSixthAxis had a rumour about this that made it more sound like your PS3 would check what games you have, and automatically fetch patches for them in the background while you're playing other games or whatever. So you potentially wouldn't even see a patching screen again. They had it down as something coming in a future FW update, but Sony may well have decided to roll it into their premium offering...

DonMigs85

Rapping Granny said:
So $120 a year? Are they out of their fucking minds? This is the PS3 and PSPGo pricing all over again. Do they have anybody in that fucking company that can think for them before doing shit, or are they all just apes?
It might come in handy if you're a heavy PS Store purchaser, but chances are even with the discounts you'll just break even by the end of the year.

Lothars

Hanmik said:
- Pay for Cross-game chat..? console war megaton.. :D

Lot's of companies do that for discounts on their stores, including microsoft but I doubt that either Cross-game chat or auto-downloading will be paid for features, they will be free for everyone.

Talon

No way they charge $9.99 for this when the competition is charging like $4 a month (less in reality due to cards being available for $30-40).

Let's wait for the real info come E3.

peetfeet

That works out at £84 a year (if they convert to pounds (unlikely)), holy shit I wont pay that for cross game chat and some 'cover' for my console (which probably won't be covered anyway as its already out of warranty). Sony, yer avin a laugh aint ya?

DonMigs85 said:
It might come in handy if you're a heavy PS Store purchaser, but chances are even with the discounts you'll just break even by the end of the year.
Fuck the PSstore, there hasn't been anything worth downloading since Wipeout Fury.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Dunno how much weight you want to put into it, but Joystiq say 'a source' has revealed to them details of the premium 'PSN+' service Sony's planning to unveil at E3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/rumor-sony-to-reveal-psnplus-subscription-service-at-e3-2010/

I'll just list the things they're rumouring to save me quoting the whole article and feeling a bit cheap about it:

- Exclusive in-game DLC

Following launch, more features are supposedly planned including the cloud-based save system. Their source speculates that the service may cost $9.99/month... seems steep to me, depending on the level of Store discounts on offer, but this seems to be speculation rather something their source is relaying as fact.

I hope not.

The premium service caught my attention a while back and thought about doing it with what would be involved with it. I'm definitely sticking with a no right now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
InfiniteNine said:
Since when?

Since forever.

I think you are thinking party system here. That's different.

Cross game voice chat : all
Party system : gold

Quixzlizx said:
As long as nobody involved is actually playing a game online?

Pretty sure a silver member can chat with a gold member playing online.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TTP said:
Since forever.

I think you are thinking party system here. That's different.

Cross game voice chat : all
Party system : gold
Don't really play online much so I thought it was the same thing, thanks for the clarification.

DonMigs85 said:

it would be better if they stopped you playing online for free.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Goddamn :lol

Now all we have to do is wait for the inevitable $15 package where you get Linux back

TEJ

InfiniteNine said:
Since when?

since when hasn't it? I've been able to use cross chat features when my xbl account was in silver status, and i've been able to chat with silver members while playing different games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
I hope not.

Looking at the overall offering suggested, on the face of it, they need some meaty feature to bring people in.

Some store discounts, some freebie games, and warranty extensions wouldn't be enough to attract a sizeable number of people. I think it's very hopeful to expect x-game chat not to be rolled into this.

Hanmik

Lothars said:
Lot's of companies do that for discounts on their stores, including microsoft.

I just sounds so stupid... Pay 9.99$ a month to get (an example) 20% discount on a 19,99$ game...

I nkow lots of companies use this.. but that does not make it any less stupid. IMO..

Top Bottom