• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

Acosta

Cross chating only for PSN+ would be completely hilarious, you are basically splitting your userbase. The 9.99$ monthly tag price would be the biggest ridicule of Sony since 599.

They can't be that stupid, that looks like a PSN improvement list more than other thing. I guess you can never underestimate company idiocy, but come on.

lowrider007 said:
Well I'll be getting it even @ $10 a month, I just don't like the thought of others having access to features that I don't so I'll cough up and I think quite a few people will, I may not be happy about doing it but I'll do it like I do for my 360.

And yes I know I'm part of the problem.

facepalm.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pretty poor list for a seemingly steep price. For those features, not worth it.

Add unlimited cloud saves, a XMB netflix option, a media manager app that works with external drives and DLNA (think Boxee), add a universal party system, add a free PSN game of our choice every month and I might bite. And not pick from one of 10 old PSN games that I already bought, it needs to be brand new games.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yep you are.

what exactly?

Okay - back ups? fine - for a machine that doesn't break often it's still nice
and already talked about downloading save data on another machine

but... again - the full list of what you get for the extra cash is so piss poor it boggles the mind.

Though it does occur to me that MS locking online play FULL STOP behind XBL was the way to go, if also evil. Sony basically shot themselves in the foot by taking the "no this should be free!" line and now adding things in for a cost (if true of course) looks like a bit of an own goal. People have survived on the PS3 without these features, and they still have online gaming (and i doubt sony are evil enough to lock that out for games going forward) so if they -are- foolish enough to try and charge $10 a month for it then they're in for some low adoption rate surprises.

I mean - whats the point of exclusive cross game chat if it's based on a pay service? I assume you could only do it between two people on the service so again... this would be a recipe for failcakes in such massive quantities that , again, surely someone would raise a flag on all of this. So yeah - not buying into this rumour. Something is either wrong or missing or this is a "Oh that rumour? no those are ALL FREE - that's the value of PS3! *wink!*" or something...

I might pay $10/month for that...

isn't it just easier to take that cash and buy a PS2?

teiresias

lowrider007 said:
Well I'll be getting it even @ $10 a month, I just don't like the thought of others having access to features that I don't so I'll cough up and I think quite a few people will, I may not be happy about doing it but I'll do it like I do for my 360.

And yes I know I'm part of the problem.
That's like justifying paying a prostitute because your buddy is getting laid and you're not. That sort of blind consumerism based "keep up with the joneses" is really pathetic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
even sony aren't this dumb.

Looking at it, something like this would cost them very little... if they can convert even a small percentage of their base to sign up for it, it's easy, easy money.

DCharlie said:
Anyways, this feature list is so incredibly weak that i simply cannot believe this is the pay for service. There has to be more.

What do you realistically suggest they should offer, without compromising the current service? They could easily make the feature list more substantial with a couple of decisions that I think would be far less popular.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Rapping Granny said:

:lol

<sticks tongue out>

I'm not alone though am I?, load's of people complain about stuff like this but continue to pay for the very stuff they complain about, better to be honest I say.

CryptiK

I call absolute bullshit on all of this. There are too many "sources" stating how PSN+/Premium is going to be I think its just News sites spraying and praying before e3

Talon

DCharlie said:
I mean - whats the point of exclusive cross game chat if it's based on a pay service? I assume you could only do it between two people on the service so again... this would be a recipe for failcakes in such massive quantities that , again, surely someone would raise a flag on all of this. So yeah - not buying into this rumour. Something is either wrong or missing or this is a "Oh that rumour? no those are ALL FREE - that's the value of PS3! *wink!*" or something...
What? Cross-game chat's infinitely more useful than that. Say you have a group of like 8 folks. 2 are playing Killzone, 2 are playing Modern Warfare 2, and 4 are rolling around in Red Dead Redemption. The ability for all those guys to be able to shoot the shit across 3 games is a great feature.

Unless you feel weird talking on a microphone to people you've never actually met in RL like me. :lol

This sounds really bad but before they start charging me for playing online I can live with that. It is a stupid move in my eyes if true but maybe this is just the "beta" for their next console and online plans/infrastructure.

I hope Sony thinks that their Premium Service is just that and they actually charge $9.99 a month for it. It would rank right up there with $599.99 (PS3) and $249.99 (PSPGo) as colossal disconnect of what is reasonable pricing. I also hope it fails miserably.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rapping Granny said:
Next up.

Install Other OS option
PS2 Emulation
More Sparkles in background

In the new PSN++ for $19.99 a month.
Fixed.
Day one. :lol

Geoff9920 said:
I really hope this just stays a rumor, because that's no where near worth the money.
It seems to be optional and it doesnt affect the current free PSN service.

To be fair, given what you get for XBL Gold, $120 actually seems in line with the established standard considering these features. :lol

Acosta

gofreak said:
What do you realistically suggest they should offer, without compromising the current service? They could easily make the feature list more substantial with a couple of decisions that I think would be far less popular.

In a world: content.

Free games, discounts, offers, movies, music, whatever, offer a subscription for a selection of actual content, not for providing basic stuff a service like this should have already.

Im gonna say, fuck it. As long as I can still log on for free, still get the games and still play online for free I'll be ok.

While cross game voice chat is a great feature its quite honestly pretty overrated.

I'll still hold out for E3 if the accurate details if true.

....But guys if you dont want it, you DONT have to pay for it. Its pretty simple.

V_Ben

Banned
Well, I'm sick of rumours now! How about we don't post another PSN paid thread until the f*cking thing is announced? :lol

Dabanton

Come on guys you must have know something like this was coming,looks like Sony finally feel that PSN is settled enough to bring the cosh down,i can see them keeping back even more juicy features for the premium side.

They obviously cannot go back on their word about free online though i imagine they wish they could. But stuff like cross game chat is a nice carrot feature that will bring lots of people in.

Nakazato

Oh fuck you Sony 10 dollars a month it better be a fucking rumor and everyone that already has a psn account should get a month or 3 for free its only fair. $40 year is fair at that price id buy. $120 sony you can fuck yourself with a rusty metal pole.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Acosta said:
In a world: content.

Free games, discounts, offers, movies, music, whatever, offer a subscription for a selection of actual content, not for providing basic stuff a service like this should have already.

Games and discounts are part of the suggested deal. Though I think maybe the cycled list of freebie games should be extended to include PSN games.

jett

D-Member
:lol at the tardbuckets already saying "FUCK YOU SONY" for this list of crap. Nothing's being taken away from the current PSN model. I personally don't give two shits about anything that is offered in the rumored bulletpoints.

V_Ben

Banned
jett said:
:lol at the tardbuckets already saying "FUCK YOU SONY" for this list of crap. Nothing's being taken away from the current PSN model.

tardbuckets will be tardbuckets. Its a daily routine for them.

Majine

Banned
gofreak said:
Games and discounts are part of the suggested deal. Though I think maybe the cycled list of freebie games should be extended to include PSN games.
I don't think that's a possibility.

-viper-

Banned
Holy shit this is dumb. But at least the core features of online still remain free.

I don't need this additional shit so no thanks to PSN Premium. But the pricing is RETARDED. £10 a month? lol. only an idiot would pay for that. This is worse than Xbox Live.

lowrider007

teiresias said:
That's like justifying paying a prostitute because your buddy is getting laid and you're not. That sort of blind consumerism based "keep up with the joneses" is really pathetic.

Come now that's being silly, people can 'get with' a man/women if they want without paying for a prostitute, you can't charm your way into having these premium PSN features for free, you either pay for them or don't have them, I don't always care about keeping up with the 'jonese' but I think on a social gaming platform it is important that the majority of people have access to the same features, especially cross-gamer chat, and if I have to pay $10 a month for the privilege then so be it.

And it's not just about cross-gamer chat, if the rumours are true I like the idea of a cloud based system for saves, reductions on PSN purchases (which I hope are good) and free PSone/mini titles etc, I imagine that PSN is costing Sony millions to upkeep the service so it's really no surprise that this could potentially happen.

At the end of the day Sony have said they will keep the PSN in it's current form for free and I think that's very fair of them, peoples sense of entitlement on here is crazy.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jett said:
:lol at the tardbuckets already saying "FUCK YOU SONY" for this list of crap. Nothing's being taken away from the current PSN model. I personally don't give two shits about anything that is offered in the rumored bulletpoints.
People don't seem to know what the word rumor means anymore.

- Access to rotating list of Playstation minis and PSone classics (the freebie games previously rumoured?)
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- Playstation Store discounts
- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish (PSN games? There ain't many retail games on the PSN store currently...)
- Playstation Protection Plan coverage
- Exclusive access to cross-game chat
- Access to auto/background patching of games

- Sounds good.
- Sounds just as bad as pre-order bonuses and other exclusive DLC stuff.
- Nobody would pay a fee for this on its own, but it's a nice perk when you are paying for other things. Same as on Live Gold.
- Don't demos help sales? Wouldn't it be best to make this available for everyone?
- Yeah, if you're stupid enough.
- I have the option but my buddies don't. Who is looking stupid now?
- As in: I don't have to start up the game for it to be patched? Kinda good for a premium fee.

Acosta

gofreak said:

Yes, I think that part is fine. In my opinion, they should focus on that while they keep building the platform functionality.

As long as the current PSN remains free and that features through firmware updates remain free then Sony can charge for whatever bonus content in a premium PSN as much as they want for all I care.

Norml

Rapping Granny said:
So $120 a year? Are they out of their fucking minds? This is the PS3 and PSPGo pricing all over again. Do they have anybody in that fucking company that can think for them before doing shit, or are they all just apes?

I don't give a shit that cross game chat is a paid service, it's the damn price for it.

I highly doubt that. Monthly cost is always the highest to hook you onto a longer deal.

Over double the price of XBL?

Don't think so Sony, go back and do the math and come back when you have actually put some thought into a price to charge.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
IonicSnake said:
As long as the current PSN remains free and that features through firmware updates remain free then Sony can charge for whatever bonus content in a premium PSN as much as they want for all I care.

That's the big question. The premium service might be light on features at the beginning, but Sony might be adding new features to that, middlefingering free users for good. Pay-to-Cross Game chat would be an indicator of bad things to come.

I still feel like cross game chat should be free as well.

Atleast you don't have to pay to play online.

I'm looking at you Microsoft!

lowrider007

kyo_daikun said:
Over double the price of XBL?

Don't think so Sony, go back and do the math and come back when you have actually put some thought into a price to charge.

"Their source speculates that the service may cost $9.99/month...!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If the games go 80% sale for the PSN+. I'd bite. :D

Top Bottom