• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

CryptiK

thought cross game chat was already said not to be exclusive in the other PSN Premium thread. I'd take this with a grain of salt.

I don't think they will price it at $120.00 per year. They want more people to join first and have to compete with Live so they have to price it competively.

If they do price PSN+ at 120. then its another fail like Go.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gotta say I like the rumored "PSN+" name more than "PSN Premium". I think it better represents the fact that the extra stuff is indeed a plus on top of the basic free stuff already offered with PSN.

lljride

gofreak said:
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- Exclusive access to cross-game chat
- Access to auto/background patching of games

Not liking the idea of these being premium services. The DLC might be okay as long as it's just reskins or something like that (stuff that won't affect gameplay or be tied to specific trophies), but if they can make the other 2 available for premium subscribers they should be available to everyone.

Talon

webcivilian said:
I don't think they will price it at $99 per year. They want more people to join first and have to compete with Live so they have to price it competively.

If they do price PSN+ at 99 then its another fail like Go.
It would be $120/year, and, you're right, there's no way in bloody hell that Sony would be stupid enough to make this $10 a month unless the PS3 starts shitting gold.

The exclusive discounts will just be like xbl game of the week deals, which are only available to gold members.

If true, paying for background patching seems wrong. Expensive too...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hanmik said:
I just sounds so stupid... Pay 9.99$ a month to get (an example) 20% discount on a 19,99$ game...

I nkow lots of companies use this.. but that does not make it any less stupid. IMO..

This kind of stuff is usually classed as a bonus. Part of a package. You're not just paying $x to get some smaller $y back in discounts.

CryptiK said:
thought cross game chat was already said not to be exclusive in the other PSN Premium thread. I'd take this with a grain of salt.

It's all rumour...see no reason to believe one over the other.

Well, actually, I see reason to believe this over VG247's. It makes more sense. They need some highly desired feature in their package, and x-game chat fits that bill. AND would have a distinctly viral characteristic to it. It's probably by far the most effective option at their disposal to encourage 'peer pressure' to sign up to a premium offering.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lljride said:
Not liking the idea of these being premium services. The DLC might be okay as long as it's just reskins or something like that (stuff that won't affect gameplay or be tied to specific trophies), but if they can make the other 2 available for premium subscribers they should be available to everyone.

I agree with this, but I can't think of any worthwhile extra they can add to the "+" service to make it attractive. I mean, the big thing (online gaming) is already free.

Sony basically shoot themselves in the foot by offering online gaming for free :lol

It really depends on the price tho. 10 bucks a month for that stuff is a rape.

onken

gofreak said:
Surprised? That's their peer pressure 'you gotta sign up for PSN+ man!' feature.

I just thought it had been heavily hinted at that it wouldn't be a premium feature. Not surprised though, alas.

jorma

is now taking requests
rayner said:
- Exclusive in-game DLC

Imagine if they add Trophies to those DLC... Trophy Hunters will be very angry.

At least if they added trophies that counts towards the platinum. That would even upset me :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gofreak said:
Well, actually, I see reason to believe this over VG247's. It makes more sense. They need some highly desired feature in their package, and x-game chat fits that bill. AND would have a distinctly viral characteristic to it. It's probably by far the most effective option at their disposal to encourage 'peer pressure' to sign up to a premium offering.
This also fits that survey surprisingly well, including the potential price points.

webcivilian said:
I don't think they will price it at $120.00 per year. They want more people to join first and have to compete with Live so they have to price it competively.

If they do price PSN+ at 120. then its another fail like Go.

Don't underestimate Sony with it's pricing for new products or services.

FrankT

bluehat9 said:
Seeing the outrageous price actually makes the rumor more believable. :lol

I don't know I pretty much had the opposite reaction to the pricing. Crazier things have happened I guess.

Dear Sony PlayStation,

Only way to make me pay for your upcoming premium service, is to:
• Make cross-game invitations and joining your friends through the in-game XMB (like it's done in Modern Warfare 2) mandatory for every future game.
• NOT make cross-game voicechat a premium service, as it won't be interesting if I can't talk to my friends who are uninterested in PSN+.

I don't think these details are correct though. :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Acheteedo

$9.99 per year would be reasonable. Per month is just ridiculous. Can't there be a cheaper option that doesn't offer the free games but I can get background loading and cross-game chat?

tzare

seems expensive to me, won't subscribe, unless this info has missing features that have enough value or the price is lower.

However, as long as they keep actual features free, i think it is okay, PSN is great so far.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Its cool if they dont touch the core PSN free service.
People like to pay for crazy so they'll do fine.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wait, the one feature I wanted- background downloading of patches- and they expect me to PAY for that?

:lol

Good one, Sony!

ElyrionX

They really should have some kind of service where you get to backup your save games on a server. I'd totally pay for something like that and I wish Xbox Live Gold had it. Seems like a pretty obvious value-added service to me.

gofreak said:
Dunno how much weight you want to put into it, but Joystiq say 'a source' has revealed to them details of the premium 'PSN+' service Sony's planning to unveil at E3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/rumor-sony-to-reveal-psnplus-subscription-service-at-e3-2010/

I'll just list the things they're rumouring to save me quoting the whole article and feeling a bit cheap about it:

- Access to rotating list of Playstation minis and PSone classics (the freebie games previously rumoured?)
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- Playstation Store discounts
- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish (PSN games? There ain't many retail games on the PSN store currently...)
- Playstation Protection Plan coverage

Following launch, more features are supposedly planned including the cloud-based save system. Their source speculates that the service may cost $9.99/month... seems steep to me, depending on the level of Store discounts on offer, but this seems to be speculation rather something their source is relaying as fact.

It's also rumored to have a cloud storage, which makes the 120 a year not to to bad.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
InfiniteNine said:
Where are my cloud saves? That's one thing I'd actually pay for just incase of PS3 breakage, or travel.
ElyrionX said:
They really should have some kind of service where you get to backup your save games on a server. I'd totally pay for something like that and I wish Xbox Live Gold had it. Seems like a pretty obvious value-added service to me.

It's coming after launch according to the Joystiq article.

As PSN+ subscribers, gamers will also receive protection for their consoles with the recently announced PlayStation Protection Plan, as well as exclusive access to the long-awaited cross-game voice chat. Additional features are said to be in the works following the launch of PSN+, including the previously rumored cloud-based saving system.

Talon

Actually come to think of it, knowing Sony, they would totally price it ludicrously high, shave it down by 50% then go "LOOK AT THIS GREAT VALUE!!!"

Redd

Eh there better be a Year plan discount for around $50 because $9.99 is pretty steep imo or I'll just use my cell phone until the batteries run out then 360 headset for my cross game chat needs like I've been doing.

lljride

TTP said:
I agree with this, but I can't think of any worthwhile extra they can add to the "+" service to make it attractive. I mean, the big thing (online gaming) is already free.

Sony basically shoot themselves in the foot by offering online gaming for free :lol

It really depends on the price tho. 10 bucks a month for that stuff is a rape.

Very true, I can't really think of much to justify a premium service either. The only things that would get me on board with the subscription would be cloud saves and the extended warranty. Everything else listed is just useless fluff or things that should've been available for a while now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ajvizzgamer101 said:
It's also rumored to have a cloud storage, which makes the 120 a year not to to bad.

You have got to be kidding me. That's worth TWO games and more!

Haunted

Yikes.

I see only really clueless people with money to spare or Sony superfans going for this.

Just glad I can still play online MP for free, otherwise I probably wouldn't buy any multiplats for the platform anymore.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Access to rotating list of Playstation minis and PSone classics (the freebie games previously rumoured?)
- Exclusive in-game DLC
- Playstation Store discounts
- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish (PSN games? There ain't many retail games on the PSN store currently...)
- Playstation Protection Plan coverage

even sony aren't this dumb.

and adding cloud saving of games? Whats the point right now?
Hey now my saves are in THA CLOUD! Now i can download them from anywhere i want, but most likely... from my PS3 ... right here...
(i assume i am missing something with this whole cloud thing?)

I guess you could argue you could download progress to a friends machine when you go there for a game or whatever, but don't most games STILL not allow multi sign ins? So again.... whats the point?

Anyways, this feature list is so incredibly weak that i simply cannot believe this is the pay for service. There has to be more.

Foil

This service should do well. There's quite a few dumbasses out there who will pay ridiculous prices for next to nothing.

gofreak said:
- Exclusive in-game DLC

I can see it now. PSN+ users get an exclusive multiplayer map!

Exclusive weapons in Modern Warfare 3 for PSN+ users!

Pre-Order at Gamestop to get half of an exclusive armor then join PSN+ for the other half!

Talon- said:
Actually come to think of it, knowing Sony, they would totally price it ludicrously high, shave it down by 50% then go "LOOK AT THIS GREAT VALUE!!!"

Works like a charm. Order the new Ronco Steam Cooker for three easy payments of $159.99! ... BUT WAIT RON! Order in the next five minutes and get the Steam Cooker for only TWO easy payments of $159.99

Haunted

DCharlie said:

Hey now my saves are in THA CLOUD! Now i can download them from anywhere i want, but most likely... from my PS3 ... right here...
Ohoho, never underestimate corporate idiocy.

Talon

DCharlie said:
Say your PS3 is borked/your hard drive fries then you have your saves available on Sony's servers. Or (in the even rarer case) that you go over to a friend's house, you can download your saves and play on his PS3.

It's a useful feature.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ohoho, never underestimate corporate idiocy.

I'm not exactly the biggest Sony fan in the world, but i really doubt they would be this stupid. I just can't see it.

Say your PS3 is borked/your hard drive fries then you have your saves available on Sony's servers. Or (in the even rarer case) that you go over to a friend's house, you can download your saves and play on his PS3.

It's a useful feature.

I can see the point (see edit) but i don't think that's a big value adder to be honest. It's largely pointless, especially coupled with a lack of multi signins.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well I'll be getting it even @ $10 a month, I just don't like the thought of others having access to features that I don't so I'll cough up and I think quite a few people will, I may not be happy about doing it but I'll do it like I do for my 360.

And yes I know I'm part of the problem.

Baki

gofreak said:
This kind of stuff is usually classed as a bonus. Part of a package. You're not just paying $x to get some smaller $y back in discounts.

It's all rumour...see no reason to believe one over the other.

I'm OK with it. As long as we still get what we get now for free. I mean the amount of money MS is making from GOLD is tempting so I guess this is the best compromise for consumers.

:/

Although they should give users the ability to pick and mix features to determine their own monthly charge.

i.e. Most basic option would be less than $2 a month, with the most expensive option being $10 a month. That's not factoring discounts for buying a whole year.

Haunted

DCharlie said:
I'm not exactly the biggest Sony fan in the world, but i really doubt they would be this stupid. I just can't see it.
I do concede that the 120$ a year can not be true. "Not even Sony is(are?) this dumb" applies there. :p

Talon

lowrider007 said:
Well I'll be getting it even @ $10 a month, I just don't like the thought of others having access to features that I don't so I'll cough up and I think quite a few people will, I may not be happy about doing it but I'll do it like I do for my 360.

And yes I know I'm part of the problem.
15dmce0.gif

Dragon

Banned
DCharlie said:

Yep you are.

Fuck it, these rumors are so bad, I DO think we should just hold Sony accountable for it now without more information. We've had indicators for a long time that the cross game voice chat is possible and ready for implementation, but there is a hold-up (compatibility, possible patent infringement). If they fucking try to charge us for the most wanted feature in the list after sitting on it for all this time then that would the shittiest move I've seen in years.

Top Bottom