• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Resident Evil 7 unveiling at E3, leaked poster inside

Squire

Banned
Absolutely not. RE6's stellar mechanics and not-so-great other stuff actually sets up RE7 to be an incredible sequel. The only question is if Capcom capitalizes or not by keeping what worked and improving everything else.

Please. It was a bad impersonation of Vanquish with co-op.

AOC83

Banned
It's problem for most people is exactly that is isn't a Gears rip off in terms of mechanics and controls. If you try to play it like Gears though you're sure to think the way you do. If you're going to separate only the mechanics it's easily the best TPS of the generation aside from Vanquish.

The mechanics are in every single aspect considerably worse than in Max Payne 3 which i played a few month before RE6. Gunplay, movement, controls, aiming, oversight, you name it, it´s worse. Much worse.

TigerBrown

Absolutely not. RE6's stellar mechanics and not-so-great other stuff actually sets up RE7 to be an incredible sequel. The only question is if Capcom capitalizes or not by keeping what worked and improving everything else.

While I agree that the gameplay mechanics itself aren't badly executed at all, I just believe that they aren"t a good fit for a game like Redident Evil, especially in respect of the older entries of the series.

That being said, I don't necessarily want tank controlls back, but I definately don't need any roundhouse kicks in it and I don't want to be forced to work with a partner.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
subtitle?

faker than fake

I think it's supposed to be a tagline. The "cover" is obviously a mock-up, of course, but entertaining the notion that the art itself is real, I'd assume it to be a teaser image along the lines of this:

WkGv68S.jpg

The only comparison I'd make to Vanquish is the number of mechanics at play compared to most other shooters. The games don't play alike. Vanquish emphasizes positioning and mobility in large battlefields while RE6 focuses on crowd management and setting up melee opportunities in smaller, more intimate encounters. They're very different.

The mechanics are in every single aspect considerably worse than in Max Payne 3 which i played a few month before RE6. Gunplay, movement, controls, aiming, oversight, you name it, it´s worse. Much worse.

Ok then, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about then. Max Payne 3 is a completely different, much simpler type of TPS anyway, what an absurd comparison.

It doesn't play anything like Vanquish outside of the slide mechanics, the comparisons have more to do with the depth of the mechanics involved. Resident Evil 6(and to a lesser degree 4/5) are all about setting up melee situations and counters.

Ganondorfo

I've always wondered this in threads like this

This thread has 107 posts at the moment and 108 views, is everyone at NEOGAF so interested in the next resident evil? Just asking.

AOC83

Banned
Ok then, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about then. Max Payne 3 is a completely different, much simpler type of TPS anyway, what an absurd comparison.

It´s a much better game in every single aspect gameplay wise. RE is a joke compared to it. Simple as that.

This thread has 107 posts at the moment and 108 views, is everyone at NEOGAF so interested in the next resident evil? Just asking.

Threads views don't update in real time. And given the amount of replies it should be clear that isn't an accurate number.

Pineconn

Similar to YouTube videos, the view count isn't updated in real time (at least not for a new thread).

Beaten like a... something beaten.

Ganondorfo

Similar to YouTube videos, the view count isn't updated in real time (at least not for a new thread).

Beaten like a... something beaten.

Ah ok thx, yeah you people do love to comment on every rumor out there, I bet this thread will have 15 pages at the end of the day xD

It´s a much better game in every single aspect gameplay wise. RE is a joke compared to it. Simple as that.

People like to bring up the amount of maneuvers at your disposal and all the dodge/roll/melee shenanigans, but none of it felt particularly good IMO. Some went so far as to say they couldn't play RE4 or 5 anymore due to the relative freedom in combat with RE6, but RE4's simpler stop + pop + melee base feels 100x better to me than RE6's flurry of offensive moves.

Resident Evil doesn't need all that. Capcom should take the RE6 mechanics and go make a crazy action shooter with them. Get RE back to precision and power.

Can you Tornado DDT enemies in Max Payne 3? :l

People like to bring up the amount of maneuvers at your disposal and all the dodge/roll/melee shenanigans, but none of it felt particularly good IMO. Some went so far as to say they couldn't play RE4 or 5 anymore due to the relative freedom in combat with RE6, but RE4's simpler stop + pop + melee base feels 100x better to me than RE6's flurry of offensive moves.

Resident Evil doesn't need all that. Capcom should take the RE6 mechanics and go make a crazy action shooter with them. Get RE back to precision and power.

Headshot > Melee is still the name of the game in RE6. I see the added mechanics as additional ways to interact with enemies beyond that core loop. There's probably some tightening up that could be done in terms of overall responsiveness and animation, as well as how enemies interact with those mechanics, but I think they compliment the game well. I don't think they overshadow that basic combat loop at all.

You don't have much ground to stand on given the quality of RE6. It was a disaster critically and commercially.

This is really one of the worst comments I've read on gaming side. The quality of critical reviews in gaming is suspect at best, but I assume by your standards they're the end all. And disaster is an incredible exaggeration on both fronts, perhaps if you compare to other AAA games(70 is hardly end of the world) but calling near 5 million sales a disaster is absurd by any stretch of the word. The drop off was heavier than expected and as such forecasts lowered but the game didn't bomb.

Mr_Zombie

You don't have much ground to stand on given the quality of RE6. It was a disaster critically and commercially.

4.8 mln copies sold = commercially disaster (and that's from February, so you have to add PC sales)? Ok.
Sure, it was less than what Capcom expected (6 mln copies) but I wouldn't call that "disaster".

And it's really hard for me to take reviews for this game seriously when there are reviewers who didn't even know you can dodge, roll and slide in the game.

And while I agree that level design, pacing and overall over-the-topness of RE6 was disappointing, I can't wrap my head around people who criticize combat mechanics. They are awesome and give you so much freedom. If you learn how to utilize melees, rolls, dodges and quick shots it's a really stellar shooter (at least in Mercenaries, because the campaign has serious problems with pacing). A fresh breath from all those "crouch behind a waist-height wall and shoot an enemy every few seconds" shooters.

While I agree that the gameplay mechanics itself aren't badly executed at all, I just believe that they aren"t a good fit for a game like Redident Evil, especially in respect of the older entries of the series.

I hate to be that guy, but the last classic RE game (not counting releases), RE Zero, was released in 2002 - that's 11 years ago. And even back then lots of reviewers and gamers were criticizing the game for its control scheme, constant backtracking and overall lack of freshness. Hell, even RE5 was criticized for tank controls and lack of gun&run.

Really shitting 'em out now aren't they. If true.

How does this even make sense? The poster doesn't say "Coming December 2013", it's an announcement and as others mentioned 5's reveal followed relatively shortly after 4's release. RE6 had its trailer come out a year and a half before the game released. I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't show something related to RE at E3 given they've got the new engine.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I hope they can get it together this time. How about focusing on one really good storyline this time instead of 3 different paths!!!!!!!

glaurung

After the complete clusterf*** that was RE6 - no thank you.

Please-be-good. AKA the Sonic cycle now stands for RE as well.

Marcel

This is really one of the worst comments I've read on gaming side. The quality of critical reviews in gaming is suspect at best, but I assume by your standards they're the end all. And disaster is an incredible exaggeration on both fronts, perhaps if you compare to other AAA games(70 is hardly end of the world) but calling near 5 million sales a disaster is absurd by any stretch of the word. The drop off was heavier than expected and as such forecasts lowered but the game didn't bomb.

You're doing some fierce apologizing for a turd. In any event, Capcom took one on the chin during the whole debacle so they're probably moving away from the RE6 style anyway.

You're doing some fierce apologizing for a turd. In any event, Capcom took one on the chin during the whole debacle so they're probably moving away from the RE6 style anyway.

I'll make sure to run my taste in games by you from now on, need to make sure I can have my own opinion!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There's no cycle. RE5 was great.

Zaventem

Already? what kind of changes can they make to get the RE6 taste out of people's mouth? Why do people still pretend the RE franchise still makes horror games.

Headshot > Melee is still the name of the game in RE6. I see the added mechanics as additional ways to interact with enemies beyond that core loop. There's probably some tightening up that could be done in terms of overall responsiveness and animation, as well as how enemies interact with those mechanics, but I think they compliment the game well. I don't think they overshadow that basic combat loop at all.

Even trying to play it like RE4/RE5 doesn't feel right to me anymore. The melee attacks are either unsatisfying or overlong, and with some characters it's both. The pre-adjustable camera aiming angle was totally out of whack, the enemy reactions weren't as good, sprinting looks ridiculous, being able to melee anytime throws off the combat dynamic, etc. It sound good on paper, but I don't enjoy how the game came together.

And despite liking the combat intentions, I still don't think it fits the series. You simply can't make a good horror game, or even a horror action game with this many moves available. It's too much. Once you dive backwards after hitting a 3 melee combo and scoot on your ass before getting up to sprint into a shoulder tackle and then quick-fire dual pistols without aiming, ALL the atmospheric tension goes out the window. I like being able to dodge attacks and quickly reverse some moves using enemy weapons, but the action movie acrobatics jumped the shark in RE6. I'd love them to get the combat back to a place where it feels deliberate, powerful, and focused again.

Crunch King

Neo Member
Surely this can't be real, it's way too soon. You'd also think Capcom would take a different approach to the next Resi game considering the lukewarm at best reception to 6.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just wait until someone tells you it's actually a great taste and that you didn't enjoy it correctly/"the right way".
6xGBgqA.jpg

Top Bottom