• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, looks like every single Nintendo Wii U game shown this year and last E3 run at 720p, no AA. Pikmin, Lego City, the Zelda tech demo, NSMB Wii U.

If this thing has 32MB eDRAM it should be trivial to add AA to 3 of those titles (not including Zelda) since they would hardly be pushing the 360 nevermind the Wii U which is supposed to be more powerful.

Pikimin 3 and NSMB looked pretty clean. But lego looked godawefull jaggy.

Please... tackle them jaggies devs and Nintendo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, looks like every single Nintendo Wii U game shown this year and last E3 run at 720p, no AA. Pikmin, Lego City, the Zelda tech demo, NSMB Wii U.

If this thing has 32MB eDRAM it should be trivial to add AA to 3 of those titles (not including Zelda) since they would hardly be pushing the 360 nevermind the Wii U which is supposed to be more powerful.
I really don't get that. 4xAA should be nearly free with 32MB edram. Combined with that AC3 dev comment makes me think that something is badly botched on the CPU and/or GPU end with WiiU, and while it has lots more memory than the current consoles it maybe doesn't outpace them as much in computing area.

StevieP

Banned
I really don't get that. 4xAA should be nearly free with 32MB edram. Combined with that AC3 dev comment makes me think that something is badly botched on the CPU and/or GPU end with WiiU, and while it has lots more memory than the current consoles it maybe doesn't outpace them as much in computing area.

Alternatively (and I can't speak for this first-hand) the dev kits didn't include final-final hardware until recently. Who knows if these titles were developed with access to the EDRam at all?

Raistlin

Any surround signal sent through any tv gets down sampled to 2 channel audio. I don't know of any (maybe a really recent one does it) TVs that will pass 5.1 or HD audio signal.
Wouldn't matter. There aren't TV's with a DD/DTS encoder in them that I'm aware, and Wii U only outputs PCM (don't want to pay for licensing) assuming these specs are complete.

What few TV's exist that can output discrete surround via optical from the input side of things only support DD and DTS bitstreams as far as I know.

Again, that works as long as your console supports compression formats that allow for 6 channels to be carried through optical, given its bandwidth constraints.
There's nothing here that suggests it would be the case.
yep

You could always buy one of these HDMI>HDMI switches with optical out. I have one and it works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2#description
You can get an HDMI switcher (not splitter, that costs more) with 4 inputs and one HDMI out plus optical audio out for like $50 and be ok. You'll obviously pick up only the compressed DD/DTS core stream if it's in uncompressed audio in DD True HD or DTS HD/Master Audio. For multichannel LPCM the games will obviously sport a compressed DD or DTS audio track option as well, like for some PS3 games.

Also, it works like the old Xbox digital cable it seems. It says it supports Nintendo-D which will probably be a cable with HDMI video +optical audio out.
It works because PS3 and 360 can bitstream DD/DTS via HDMI. These sorts of units (in this price range at least) do not have DD/DTS encoders inside them. The ones that do advertise that fact.

The problem is optical Tx/Rx was not designed to support the bandwidth necessary for discrete multi-channel LPCM. And even of a device like this could downsample the channels (to unlistenable levels) so there was enough bandwidth ... the DSP sitting behind the optical Rx wouldn't know what to do with it since it's not expecting that sort of content.

So unless the Wii U specs are simply missing the fact it really has DD/DTS encoding ... this won't work.

The Wii U has been a mixed bag so far.

Take these two screenshots for instance:

8Z8Hw.jpg

You can see that the texture here is pretty good. Specifically the ground texture it looks The Witcher 2 quality. And no this isn't a bullshit watch the trailer.

However you also get something like this:

SFywk.jpg

Which looks like a downloadable Xbox 360 game.

However all in all I think that so far its pretty clear that the Wii U is at most marginally more powerful than the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Raistlin

HDMI can handle 5.1 discreet PCM channels, I don't think there's much need to license DD or DTS for real-time mixing over HDMI.
We're talking about people who own receivers that do not have HDMI audio support ... which is a fair percentage of the userbase.

Discreet multi-channel PCM cannot be transmitted via optical.

It won't need a real time encoder on board if the game sports a simple lossy DD track, nor to pay any license fees.
There wouldn't be any sound effects then :D

Those are generated in real-time, mixed with the soundtrack, and then encoded into a lossy bitstream (or passed as LPCM). So no, that can't work in a game environment - only for media.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

For the resolution, it was a given that most of the titles will run at 720p, i talked about that in march:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36144655&postcount=4991

Otherwise, there will be AA, no doubt about that, if there isn't any on the showfloor demo (we need confirmation on that), it's explainable, and not by a lack of capabilities.

For the resolution, it was a given that most of the titles will run at 720p, i talked about that in march:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36144655&postcount=4991

Otherwise, there will be AA, no doubt about that, if there isn't any on the showfloor demo (we need confirmation on that), it's explainable, and not by a lack of capabilities.

Thank god.

So how is it explainable?

You can see the individual polys on that Boss creature. Why aren't they using tessellation? There's no bump mapping or normal mapping either. Very worrying.

maybe because the game was initially made for Wii?. But yeah.. the Wii-U is capable of much more.

antonz

Thank god.

So how is it explainable?

maybe because the game was initially made for Wii?. But yeah.. the Wii-U is capable of much more.

In development titles dont have all the bells and whistles. We have gotten very used to the bullshot presentation most developers do these days.

That lego picture for instance if that was Ubisoft or other major studios they would have cleaned it up to maximum bullshot status

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Wii U seems to be a repeat of the Wii: more powerful (more ram) than current gen on paper. In reality, not so much.

8Z8Hw.jpg

You can see that the texture here is pretty good. Specifically the ground texture it looks The Witcher 2 quality. And no this isn't a bullshit watch the trailer.

SFywk.jpg

However all in all I think that so far its pretty clear that the Wii U is at most marginally more powerful than the Xbox 360 or PS3.

It's not like the textures in that second one are bad; it's a different aesthetic.

Mudkips

Banned
Not everyone has an HDMI receiver and would still like discrete surround sound ... or even hell, digital audio given the shit DAC's incorporated in most consoles.

Think about it. PS2 had digital audio, and Xbox even had discrete digital audio (DD). Gamecube? Analog. This gen both 360 and PS3 had discrete digital audio. Wii? Analog.

This will be the 3rd generation in a row where a good portion of their audience will not have discrete surround let alone digital audio.

Yeah, but honestly it's about time I move up to a new receiver.
I bought my current one in the early GameCube days.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wii U seems to be a repeat of the Wii: more powerful (more ram) than current gen on paper. In reality, not so much.

Wii suffered from "we don't give a shit" development practices.

The best Wii games, be it a Galaxy game, or Skyward Sword, or even something like Red Steel 2, looked obviously better than a Gamecube game. Or a comparably designed PS2 game. Xbox is debatable due to the different shader technology.

Most games on the Wii looked as if they were thrown together using leftover GC engines and tools.

Though I'd say, given that the tech in this console is more in line with what everyone uses, there's no reason why finished, polished games shouldn't look better than PS360 if the power is indeed there.

The question, as always, is whether 3rd parties will give a shit.

8Z8Hw.jpg

SFywk.jpg

Its funny becuase you took the game that looks good, and the game that looks a fucking atrocious jaggiefest and you mixed them.

The art of P-100 fucks all over the lego game, the soft lightining, the particle effects and set pieces (the boss destroys the whole city in real time) and the high IQ trumps all over the jaggifest city of lego, detailed textures or not.

Log4Girlz

Wii suffered from "we don't give a shit" development practices.

The best Wii games, be it a Galaxy game, or Skyward Sword, or even something like Red Steel 2, looked obviously better than a Gamecube game. Or a comparably designed PS2 game. Xbox is debatable due to the different shader technology.

Most games on the Wii looked as if they were thrown together using leftover GC engines and tools.

Though I'd say, given that the tech in this console is more in line with what everyone uses, there's no reason why finished, polished games shouldn't look better than PS360 if the power is indeed there.

The question, as always, is whether 3rd parties will give a shit.

Most of these Wii U games look like they are using left over Wii engines and tools.

Raistlin

Yeah, but honestly it's about time I move up to a new receiver.
I bought my current one in the early GameCube days.
Well I'm an audio/video-phile ... so I'm already there (it's worse than that ... I'm on my 2nd gen receiver in my living room that supports HDMI audio ... have one in my bedroom ... and have a pre/pro for the dedicated home theater that I also plan to replace in a year or too :D).

I'm just trying to be realistic as far as J6P is concerned even if I find the notion ridiculous :p

The simple fact they have never supported digital (and therefore discrete) audio up until the point it comes 'free' with the video though is pretty telling. That it also is half-baked, while not surprising, is pretty telling as well.

Log4Girlz

Absolutely nothing on display that even approaches The Last of Us or Halo 4. So what title is supposed to convince us the hardware is more advanced? Why wasn't it shown here?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Absolutely nothing on display that even approaches The Last of Us or Halo 4. So what title is supposed to convince us the hardware is more advanced? Why wasn't it shown here?

Probably cuz Retro wasn't allowed to present what they are working on.

Log4Girlz

Probably cuz Retro wasn't allowed to present what they are working on.

Genius strategy. At least 1 indisputably beautiful next-gen title should have been shown. Other than 3rd party ports which are identical to current gen, everything shown could have been done on the Wii and I wonder if they didn't at one point actually just plan on a Wii capable of HD graphics and these games started on such a machine. :/

Zero148

the visual showcaes weren't there, because they don't release in the launch window.

And by the way, you took the absolute best games on a technical side of the 360 and the PS3 to prove your point. These are Launch games on not 10 times more powerful hardware unlike the 360 in 2005, so it is no problem they can't compete with the technical showcase titles of the current gen consoles which are heavy optimized.

Genius strategy. At least 1 indisputably beautiful next-gen title should have been shown. Other than 3rd party ports which are identical to current gen, everything shown could have been done on the Wii and I wonder if they didn't at one point actually just plan on a Wii capable of HD graphics and these games started on such a machine. :/

It's possible that they were going to release some more games on Wii but decided to bring it over to Wii U. My guess is they didnt want to end up having a bare bones 2 years after launch

Zero148

Wii U is launching this year not 2005. People will compare it to current games.

I think his point was the comparism to the last generation, o here the comparism of PDZ to X-Box, GCN and PS2 games and it was a no jump, although the 360 was a true 10 times generational leap in power.

The WiiU in the other side is a 2-3 times leap in power, so comparin it Launch games to the technical showcase of PS360 late in their life cycle is unfair on every level.

Log4Girlz

the visual showcaes weren't there, because they don't release in the launch window.

And by the way, you took the absolute best games on a technical side of the 360 and the PS3 to prove your point. These are Launch games on not 10 times more powerful hardware unlike the 360 in 2005, so it is no problem they can't compete with the technical showcase titles of the current gen consoles which are heavy optimized.

As I said in the WUST thread, Nintendo has to show something on par with the best the HD twins offer, or a very large chunk of the gaming audience is just not going to give a shit. They are going to see Xbox 360 games and Wii U games and say, ok my money goes to Xbox 360 and Kinect.

What kind of PC graphics card level of power are we looking at here?

Well, everyone says it will be in the AMD r7xx series. But that is a pretty vague answer, it could mean anything between a Radeon 4350 to a Radeon 4890. Though my guess is that it would fall somewhere in between a 4350 and 4730 in terms of performance (Though I have no actual idea).

That would be a huge OS footprint.

Yeah, 512mbs would be a bit too much for a console OS. It's not like they will be running Windows XP on this thing.

not to shabby thats a ton of ram

Yeah, the ram pool looks pretty good (if true). But I wonder how it will be distributed through out the console? How much will the OS get? And will the Wii U controller have its own RAM? Or will it subsidize the Wii U's own RAM for its own use?

Only 10 gigs of Hard drive space are you fucking kidding me?

Uhh.... It's a Nintendo console. They've always cheapened out on internal storage. :p

Actually 10gb's is a lot by their standards. More than I was expecting it to have, anyway.

Exactly.

IDK what's going on with Nintendo but I surely wouldn't think that it's too much to ask for one game of that level to be shown.

Hell, I would take the Zelda Tech Demo turned into a small controllable boss fight using GC TP controls as better proof for what this thing can do than any of the shown titles.

Zero148

As I said in the WUST game, Nintendo has to show something on par with the best the HD twins offer, or a very large chunk of the gaming audience is just not going to give a shit. They are going to see Xbox 360 games and Wii U games and say, ok my money goes to Xbox 360 and Kinect.

I'm sure the Retro Game will be very comparable to the best the HD twins have to offer, but somehow it wasn't shown although it could have. Also the 3D Mario game will blow us away, look at the galaxy games on the freaking wii, the guy at EAD Tokio are wizards.

This E3, Nintendo clearly wasn't behind the hardcore, at least not with theit conference. Maybe they will show a trailer to Retros game at the Roundtable, but i doubt it.

For the Hardcore there are Pikmin 3 and Project P-100, also ZombiU. But these games are more for interesting gameplay, not for the graphix

Matt

Well that's just ridiculous and not true.

Log4Girlz

I'm sure the Retro Game will be very comparable to the best the HD twins have to offer, but somehow it wasn't shown although it could have. Also the 3D Mario game will blow us away, look at the galaxy games on the freaking wii, the guy at EAD Tokio are wizards.

This E3, Nintendo clearly wasn't behind the hardcore, at least not with theit conference. Maybe they will show a trailer to Retros game at the Roundtable, but i doubt it.

For the Hardcore there are Pikmin 3 and Project P-100, also ZombiU. But these games are more for interesting gameplay, not for the graphix

This E3 was about Nintendo showing us how they can make IOS looking games. :/

Same.

3GB is good rite gaf.

I remember some poster saying that it would be a miracle if the other 2 next gen consoles had 4gb. so 3GB is good right, or is that ram just for devs or something.

Up to 3GB of main memory (CAT-DEVs only). Note: retail machine will have half devkit memory

EloquentM

aka Mannny
In all fairness nearly all of the games show literally got their start on either wii or 360 hence why trine 2 is the best looking game shown.

Mashing

Nice texture resolution. No one will use textures that high (with consistent framerates, but it's nice to know it can support them). That's was my biggest gripe with the Wii, the texture quality.

Patrick Klepek has this tidbit:
Assassin's Creed III was being shown, and hey--it looked like Assassin's Creed III. The map is on the tablet screen, and you manage weapons there, as well. One of the developers on-hand told me the Wii U hardware appears to be "better in some areas" compared to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The developer did not expect the final version to be much different, and silencing any discussion about the game having a faster frame rate on Wii U.
The only download-only title being shown for Wii U was Trine 2: Director's Cut, which looked just as beautiful as ever. Sales and marketing manager Mikael Haveri from developer Frozenbyte was on-hand to talk about the game. Haveri said Frozenbyte had no trouble getting Trine 2 up and running on Wii U. Implementing the TV-to-tablet screen sharing was no issue at all, runs like a charm, and there aren't any issues of latency to report. Support for two controllers wasn't in the current build of Trine 2 for Wii U but Haveri didn't expect adding the feature to be very difficult.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Halo 4 is a ridiculous comparison, honestly. Try this:
[IMsG]http://i.imgur.com/QbiG8.jpg[/IMG]

It's not like Wii U is some strange new configuration that is vastly different from PS360. You can't really compare the stuff to launch games for PS360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom