• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1oz

Pikmin was a Wii game that was switched over to Wii U. ZombiU is Killer Freaks that switched from an arcade shooter to a survival horror zombie game. Not exactly great examples of long term stable development HD titles.
At the conference (I think) they said the Ubisoft games have been in development for two years.

If Ubisoft took their existing tech and spruced it up a little to take advantage of much more RAM plus better AA. Zombie U would be looking nicer. There's definitely a bottleneck somewhere - it might be there isn't enough raw horsepower.

Nintendo can be excused for not pushing graphics on their casual games. Plus lack of experience with shaders etc.

Haven't people in this thread been saying that the OS eats up like 500MB or something? Wouldn't the controller screen also take up a good chunk?

That's a ridiculous amount of RAM for the OS. It's a game machine first, all other social & browsing stuff is secondary.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
At the conference (I think) they said the Ubisoft games have been in development for two years.

If Ubisoft took their existing tech and spruced it up a little to take advantage of much more RAM plus better AA. Zombie U would be looking nicer. There's definitely a bottleneck somewhere - it might be there isn't enough raw horsepower.

Nintendo can be excused for not pushing graphics on their casual games. Plus lack of experience with shaders etc.

That's a ridiculous amount of RAM for the OS. It's a game machine first, all other social & browsing stuff is secondary.
haven't seen the trine 2: directors cut video and screen shots have you?

Ryoku

Killer Freaks was being developed for Xbox 360 before it was moved onto Wii U, which was then revamped almost entirely for ZombiU.

Acheteedo

Any word on the disk format? Let's be honest, if it's less than Blu-ray, they can once again kiss third party ports goodbye by the end of next gen.

Not everyone has a receiver with HDMI inputs. Unless they release some sort of adapter for this thing I'm not buying a new receiver just to get audio out of the thing.

I'll be passing on this thing.

Oh, I misread optical for digital for some reason. Still, I couldn't imagine passing over a console because it doesn't offer an optical output. It's not like optical is cutting edge anymore. HDMI has proven to be the standard going forward.

Eradicate

Yeah, I'm not sure that any of the games showed for Nintendo really pushed the hardware or anything like that. You can't really base too much off of it.

I was looking through the developer interviews on Nintendo's site, and the one for Aliens seems to have some in-game footage that looks pretty good (especially near the very end), seeing as they started that before knowing the full, real system specs.

http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/Developer-Interview-Aliens-Coloniel-Marines

I just don't think we've seen what this puppy can do at all. I really thought they'd show more of games like Aliens here.

As you can tell, I think the game looks pretty great.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not everyone has a receiver with HDMI inputs. Unless they release some sort of adapter for this thing I'm not buying a new receiver just to get audio out of the thing.

What? If you've got a hdmi equipped TV. It will receive the audio just fine.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm having a hard time thinking the specs are legit after watching all of the games. If it is more powerful than the 360/ps3 it being used up by the 2nd screen :/

But im just being bitter.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

But your TV has HDMI obviously, right? Does it not have audio out? Can you not run the Wii to the TV, and an optical cable out of your TV into your receiver? That's how I set up a few things at my folks' place, since they lack an HDMI receiver.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm having a hard time thinking the specs are legit after watching all of the games. If it is more powerful than the 360/ps3 it being used up by the 2nd screen :/

No. You're being realistic.

/I'm in rage mode now...

But your TV has HDMI obviously, right? Does it not have audio out? Can you not run the Wii to the TV, and an optical cable out of your TV into your receiver? That's how I set up a few things at my folks' place, since they lack an HDMI receiver.
Pretty sure there are still format issues, unless your TV recodes stuff to DD or a format your receiver reads.

Again, the cable used isn't as much the issue as the supported audio formats are.

Quoting myself here about the "all new receivers..." argument: "As for the newer receiver argument, it could make sense if hardware/content providers had dropped support for older formats such as vanilla DD or DTS, which they haven't."
You won't convince people to change their nice sounding $1000 receiver bought 5-6 years ago over a console.

Erasus

What? If you've got a hdmi equipped TV. It will receive the audio just fine.

Through the shit TV speakers instead of the 5.1 speakers....

I also have a reciver that WORKS GREAT but does not have HDMI. So yea, not getting this. Also specs seem meh, but still cant wait for people to praise the new nintendo games. The same people going "gfx dont matter skyward sword is still funney"

Any surround signal sent through any tv gets down sampled to 2 channel audio. I don't know of any (maybe a really recent one does it) TVs that will pass 5.1 or HD audio signal.

No. You're being realistic.

/I'm in rage mode now...

No he's not being realistic. Anyone expecting launch games to look a shit ton better than current gen games was being stupid, and for got what some past launch games were like. Is everyone forgetting how almost all of the 360's launch titles looked like Xbox games in a higher resolution.

Also if graphics of games put you into rage mode you need to chill the fuck out a bit man.

scitek

I also have a reciver that WORKS GREAT but does not have HDMI. So yea, not getting this. Also specs seem meh, but still cant wait for people to praise the new nintendo games. The same people going "gfx dont matter skyward sword is still funney"

Specs make games? I think people praise Nintendo's games because they're designed and play well.

cyberheater

You can get HDMI spdif convertors but they're not exactly cheap.

And yeah. I don't see anyone praising the graphics.

jbueno

8egAY.png

No 240p? Good bye pixel perfect VC games.

Amir0x

Banned

the screen does use up power, so, yeah. but from what we know, it's slightly more powerful. So devs have many unique ways to try to get games up to par with 360/PS3 visually and maybe surpass them very very slightly, provided how much screen power they use

the games on display were laughable visually though for sure, at least the exclusive ones

unless you love the grotesque appearance of Mii's and desired more hilarious mini-game compilations, then I bet Nintendo Land was load-blowing worthy lol

No he's not being realistic. Anyone expecting launch games to look a shit ton better than current gen games was being stupid, and for got what some past launch games were like. Is everyone forgetting how almost all of the 360's launch titles looked like Xbox games in a higher resolution.

Also if graphics of games put you into rage mode you need to chill the fuck out a bit man.

What. You obviously weren't around during the 360 launch days, because it got games that looked WAY better than simply upressed Xbox ports.

Or if you want a closer-to-home comparison, are you seriously telling me Rogue Squadron II, SSBM, and Luigi's Mansion did not look an entire generation ahead of the N64/PSX?

You're absolutely in denial if you think what was shown graphically on the WiiU is normal for a next-generation leap. There's simply no two ways about it.

cyberheater

But they could have shown a couple of minutes of "This is what it's capable of". Some amazing demo that they'd be working on.
Everything they showed, graphically could have been done on current gen hardware.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Does not realize how easy it would be for them to take over the industry?!?

Launch with Super mario universe or whatever...a new 3d mario

Get rid of the screen on the tablet

Specs better than 360/ps3, without the tablet this could have been done with no problem.

Compatible with Wii controllers

Show trailers for Zelda, Metroid, etc etc they could just be cg. Show Wii Sports 2 for the idio...I mean casuals.

UGH

Foxix Von

It's called Wii U
You don't say?

Bingo, thinking about it my tv does have an optical out but that's a lot of annoying run around for something that is essentially standard on every other major competitor. Even then I'm not sure if it will pass through a 5.1 signal or downsample it to 2 channels. It also raises some questions as to what sort of audio formats "the thing" actually supports.

You run HDMI out for the video and the included cable that is in the box for audio. The PS3 and 360 work the same way now. In fact, I have my PS3 hooked up this very way right now since my receiver doesn't have HDMI but my projector does.

i was actually really impressed by pikmin 3. i think it looks very nice. there were some great effects in the footage shown, textures look very crisp, and the IQ seems to be great. i imagine this thing has a little more power to it than what was on display today...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But they could have shown a couple of minutes of "This is what it's capable of". Some amazing demo that they'd be working on.
Everything they showed, graphically could have been done on current gen hardware.
Why? Just because gaf would want them to?

It takes a lot of hw grunt to make Joe see a discernable jump in the visuals. Just look at the UE4 "this blows away samaritan?!" responses gaf was full of until not long ago. And this is before considering any bias in the observers, "lol, sub ps360!" posts at the E3 '11 reel ahoy.

You can get HDMI spdif convertors but they're not exactly cheap.
Again, that works as long as your console supports compression formats that allow for 6 channels to be carried through optical, given its bandwidth constraints.
There's nothing here that suggests it would be the case.

v1oz

Best looking games so far are Assassins Creed and Trine 2. But both are conversions.

I wonder what the Assassin's Creed III dev means when he says the Wii U is stronger in "some areas". Does he mean it's weaker in other areas? Because he would have just said it's "stronger overall" if it was was outright more powerful under the hood.

jbueno

They ran at 480p (I'll have to check 480i later) and that was an exact duplicate anyway.

Yes, but if the system only goes down to 480i VC games will look like crap on SDTV. One reason to keep my Wii hooked up I guess, 240p through component looks great for NES, Genesis, Snes and NeoGeo games.

What. You obviously weren't around during the 360 launch days, because it got games that looked WAY better than simply upressed Xbox ports.

Or if you want a closer-to-home comparison, are you seriously telling me Rogue Squadron II, SSBM, and Luigi's Mansion did not look an entire generation ahead of the N64/PSX?

You're absolutely in denial if you think what was shown graphically on the WiiU is normal for a next-generation leap. There's simply no two ways about it.

Very few studios are Factor 5. Factor 5 did things on both the N64 and GC very very few studios were ever capable of. Maybe if they were still around we might have gotten an example of what the system could do.

You didn't see anything today that started life as a Wii-U title. You had a Wii game that was moved to Wii-U development, you saw a game that started life as a 360 title about space aliens, that changed to the Wii-u mid development, and then changed from space aliens to a zombie game. You saw a bunch of 3rd party ports from current gen, ohh and you saw a lego game that was built from scratch for Wii-U.............

Yeah all that are graphical power houses alright.........

I guess you're forgetting Wall Guy, or hell Kameo, it was Conker's Bad Fur day in a higher resolution. How about King Kong? Wasn't there a Lara Croft game as well that was just the 360 game in a higher resolution. I think you had Call of Duty, which was the closest to a next gen looking game from the 360 launch.

I didn't say the Wii-U was a full on leap as some expect, but to base your statements on PS360 ports, and games that started life on weaker systems is just silly.

Best looking games so far are Assassins Creed and Trine 2. But both are conversions.

I wonder what the Assassin's Creed III dev means when he says the Wii U is stronger in "some areas". Does he mean it's weaker in other areas? Because he would have just said it's "stronger overall" if it was was outright more powerful under the hood.

now that's some serious cynisms to its fullest...

Listen I'm not saying they had some great showing here or anything like that. There was a ton of shit they should have shown during the conference and didn't. I just think it's silly and dumb to judge a console on last gen ports, games that started life on older systems, and a Lego game. Outside of the Lego game did we see any that started life as a Wii-U title?

Xenon

7ha6E.jpg

Bullza2o

About the Audio concerns:

My home theater does not have an HDMI input, so I depend on optical cables, which are connected to my Xbox/TV/etc. If I use my Xbox without an optical cable, the sound would go to my TV, then the TV would filter the 5.1 sound and transmit 2.1 sound to my home theater. In the end => no surround sound if no direct optical cable.

This sucks big time. I'll probably have to stick with Xbox for the meantime.

Or they could stop being cheap bastards and have a 120gb HD for little extra cost. Most retail DD versions are 8-16GB as it is.

HDD's are not cheap. In fact, they are relatively expensive compared to the other parts that make up a console. It makes perfect sense to ship consoles with a decent amount of flash and then allow for optional external upgrades. Keeps the cost of entry lower.

scitek

Hey guys, most multiplatform games don't have higher assets on the PC. That means the PC's not more capable, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom