• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bulk of WiiU games at E3 conf was 720p no AA
That sounds so scarily ominous coming from you... (Quaz is the 'pixel counter guy' for those who don't know)

If that's the case, I just don't get why. 32MB EDRAM should eat through that resolution with large amounts of AA.

antonz

From scrutinizing the exclusive games like Pikmin and Zombie U. I'm starting to side with the more conservative estimates about WiiU horsepower. Clearly if this machine has more power and a more modern feature set than current gen, we would be seeing better IQ than we are used to even with launch titles.

Going back 10 years. When Luigi's Mansion was unveiled at Spaceworld it was clearly a step up from everything else - even Dreamcast.

Pikmin was a Wii game that was switched over to Wii U. ZombiU is Killer Freaks that switched from an arcade shooter to a survival horror zombie game. Not exactly great examples of long term stable development HD titles.

I'm not seeing even 1.5GB RAM in these Wii U games (mainly only Zombie U I guess to go on, and that Lego disaster).

So I'm wondering if there's some type of really bad bottleneck(s) preventing that RAM from even really being used, maybe this is just early software, maybe the OS is eating up an insane amount...

The dev in the IGN survey who talked of complexities, plus my own opinion that Nintendo engineering is terrible, makes me suspect.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm not seeing even 1.5GB RAM in these Wii U games (mainly only Zombie U I guess to go on, and that Lego disaster).

So I'm wondering if there's some type of really bad bottleneck(s) preventing that RAM from even really being used, maybe this is just early software, maybe the OS is eating up an insane amount...

The dev in the IGN survey who talked of complexities, plus my own opinion that Nintendo engineering is terrible, makes me suspect.
Haven't people in this thread been saying that the OS eats up like 500MB or something? Wouldn't the controller screen also take up a good chunk?

1-D_FTW

It's probably something like half being allocated to the OS so it's fully functional while the game is running + some assbackery with design decisions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
8egAY.png

antonz

Developers aren't going to assume everyone has an eighty dollar flash drive. It should be built into the system for fucks sake it's 2012.

doesn't seem to hurt MS when half their consoles only have 4GB that can be safely assumed exists

No digital out :/
No LAN :/
No big hd :/
Digital out? Isn't there HDMI?
Ethernet is a bummer I guess, but I pretty much live in a wireless world. That's fine so long as you have a good router. Plus, you can get a USB-Ethernet adapter and use that to get a wired connection if it is needed.
HD? Why pay for an overpriced Nintendo one, like MSFT has done? They're cheap and plentiful and can be easily tucked away.

Vire

How does Microsoft offering a piss poor alternative in the current generation make it any better?

Their next gen baseline console will have more than 50 gigs guaranteed.

andthebeatgoeson

Digital out? Isn't there HDMI?
Ethernet is a bummer I guess, but I pretty much live in a wireless world. That's fine so long as you have a good router. Plus, you can get a USB-Ethernet adapter and use that to get a wired connection if it is needed.
HD? Why pay for an overpriced Nintendo one, like MSFT has done? They're cheap and plentiful and can be easily tucked away.

I think Ninty could do better explaining this but thier inability to talk about specs hurts them. Even 8GBs should be decent in the beginning for some downloads but if games hit 25 GBs for ports, it'll leave people in a bind. I wonder why they didn't go for 25/50 GB. Couldn't be that hard now. Probably is a tough number to hit, as it's unusual.

I'll get a big USB HD and go with that. I appreciate not being raped by a $100 HD and options.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wii compatibility? I thought this thing wasn't supposed to be backwards compatible.

As far as I can tell it's the first console with 100% backwards-compatibility. Wii couldn't support the GameCube's GameBoy Player, PS3 didn't support the USB hard drive (I think?), maybe I'm missing some others. But Wii U is 100% compatible with all Wii games and peripherals.

Massa

How does Microsoft offering a piss poor alternative in the current generation make it any better?

I wouldn't say guaranteed. Not forcing a hard drive offered Microsoft a significant cost advantage over the PS3, there's no reason that won't happen again next gen. Specially with faster Blu-ray drives.

madmackem

It hasnt effected xbox so i dont see how it will effect ninty, the fact you can use a usb storage device makes it the best of them all imho.

Christine

As far as I can tell it's the first console with 100% backwards-compatibility. Wii couldn't support the GameCube's GameBoy Player, PS3 didn't support the USB hard drive (I think?), maybe I'm missing some others. But Wii U is 100% compatible with all Wii games and peripherals.

Not quite, according to Nintendo:

http://e3src.nintendo.com/wiiu/ said:
Nearly all Wii software and accessories can be used with Wii U.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zombi U you saw on their conference was staged CG trailer. ZombiU the game... does not look good. Pikmin 3 was the best looking game they showed.

zbarron

Would you rather the console cost an extra hundred dollars making the barrier of entry higher, resulting in less sales and with it less third party support?

If the system really does have these specs then none of the games really showed it. Pikmin looks like a slighly improved Wii game, which makes sense considering it's development, but it was the best looking thing we saw. The system should be able to run circles around current gen with these specs but nothing like that was even shown.

Zombi U you saw on their conference was staged CG trailer. ZombiU the game... does not look good. Pikmin 3 was the best looking game they showed.

Yeah, if you had shown me the actual ZombiU gameplay and told me it was the first Condemned game I would have believed you. I can't believe all the bullshit CG simulated gameplay they've put out, going back to Killer Freaks last year.

I don't get the storage complaints. All Wii U retails game will be released as digital downloads from launch and 3DS games from August. Countless pieces of DLC, nearly 200 WiiWare games and 400 VirtualWare games have been released for Wii (a console with 512mb of internal memory). I don't think it's a problem for publishers. Beats the $99 20GB 360 hard drive MS offered at launch.

Mxrz

Or they could stop being cheap bastards and have a 120gb HD for little extra cost. Most retail DD versions are 8-16GB as it is.

donny2112

Or they could stop being cheap ... and have a 120gb HD for little extra cost.

You can plug in your own USB HDD, and they'll probably have Nintendo-branded HDDs, too, for an "extra cost." 8GBs is terrible, but it's not like that's a limiting factor.

Ydahs

When people mention Flash Memory, what sizes are they expecting?

Macbook Airs use 128GB flash memory storage, so it's entirely possible a WiiU can have storage of around that size too. Hopefully.

MS will probably ship their next console without a mandatory hdd as well. As long as Nintendo lets you use any HDD for DLC/DD games/saves, it's really a moot point.

Maxrunner

Yeah, if you had shown me the actual ZombiU gameplay and told me it was the first Condemned game I would have believed you. I can't believe all the bullshit CG simulated gameplay they've put out, going back to Killer Freaks last year.

there was a demo play at gametrailers no?

Raistlin

Plenty of UE3 games used 2xMSAA, but as a forward renderer, they could choose when to enable or disable it for certain render passes (bloom, HDR lighting, transparencies). Proper MSAA shading/lighting simply costs more to do, so devs generally skipped it.
I should have been more clear - it was simply an example. They weren't using AA because they instead choose to use the limited resources for things like lighting, etc.

That's the point.

I think the very small form factor of the WiiU is why Nintendo haven't released clock speeds on the CPU & GPU.

I bet they've had to dial the frequencies down into the high 2Ghz range for the CPU, and 500-700Mhz for the GPU in order to keep the temps down.

lefantome

judging from what we have seen these specs are fake.

But who knows, developers don't care about wii u, except ubisoft(but zombi u is ugly too)

Usb storage?lol will be painfully slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom