• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
I think even 2 gig of ram is a little low, you're looking at a device that has to last 5+ years at the very least, we'll probably have arm based tablets with 2gig of ram by the time WiiU is a year old.

Different types of memory, obviously (and different bandwidth levels)

And I have a feeling the meaningful specs are lower. We're experiencing some of the usual Wii U expectation inflation in here.

For example, 2GB of RAM is a HUGE number imo. I personally would expect the real number to be 1GB or 1.5 if lucky.

Similarly, talk of a 5770 or 4850 is likely way out of line. Those are absolutely beastly compared to PS360, and there's no hints that Wii U has anywhere near that kind of power.

But hey, we will know more in literally 9 minutes, LOL.

Ah dude, c'mon. Weaker than a 360?

Turok_TTZ

Unless they made the box bigger and just decided to throw one in, you'll need a dongle.

Same as the Wii. Wireless built in, if you want a wired connection instead you can use the same adapter you had for Wii

Hm how disturbing... now brings up another question. iirc wireless connection is supposedly faster on wii vs the adapter (speed vs stability). would that be the same case here? I hope not.

Levyne

Banned
As long as in 2-3 years playing a game on Xbox3/PS4 and then playing a game on Wii U is not as much of a drop as 360/PS3-> Wii is now.

If these specs are close to accurate, then they've not short-changed the tech (more powerful than current gen) but not gone crazy instead. What they have done, though, is include 3-4 really tactical little things that could really make a difference. Tessellation unit is unexpected I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
8GB internal storage is a bit of a drag, but I'm pleased with the 1.5GB-ish of RAM.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
"Compute shader support".

And is more like 1.5-2GB.
When it says Up To 3, and real unit "will have half of that", I don't see how that translates to 2GB, but if they do it, great. Compute shader nominally exists on 7xx I think, just as the tesselation unit does.

The games, silly.

The games won't necessarily tell us a lot unless the games showcased are Samaritan level since that seems to be the minimum level that most people accept as without a doubt better than current gen. They could show something like the Star Wars 1313 demo and people would still doubt the machine.

Log4Girlz

With these specs, there is no reason that Star Wars 1313 or Watchdogs couldn't be done technically at 720 p and look brilliant.

i-Lo

Well... or higher.

Stevie:p surely you jest, good sir! Over 4GB? I guess only in expectation without any actual reward equalling it.

Now with regards to Wii U, and I am not saying that these specs are untrue, but even with poorer optimization, won't porting games from 360 or PS3 yield similar if not better results? If so, then why are the developers' opinions on the machine varying so much?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RAM is fine is they are targeting 720P which those specs seem to indicate if you want to use the free MSAA. You forget PC gamers are all running stuff at 1920 x 1080/1200 and even people bring up tablets things like the new iPad have crazy resolutions. 1280 x 720 isn't really that astronomical.

Luigiv

No DX11 sounds bad to me, but if that tessellator is modern and capable enough then maybe it offsets some of that? At least, tessellation seems to me the major feature my DX10 PC can't usually have these days (though more games go for either DX9 or DX11 locking me out of more features I could normally have if they had bothered). Or maybe overall it's better than going for a DX11 yet not as fast chip. I dunno. This really doesn't tell us that much about real world performance yet, does it?

It's not going to have any version of DX anyway, since Microsoft doesn't like to share. Whether or not any of the pipeline features are DX11 class or not is impossible to deduce from this list.

wsippel

Banned
In line with what I've heard. The audio DSP matches the description I got, and I don't think those details were ever mentioned in public. Not bad at all.

cametall

Seeing as I know nothing about console development, is there a reason they use so little RAM?

Or is my bloated OS the reason my PC uses so much?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The eDRAM means only bad things here.
What do you mean, like a sign that there's too little general bandwidth? I don't think it probaly matters that much in the end. 32MB is enough for 1080p buffer, and with some postproc-aa that should yield excellent picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom