• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurley

The problem with folks around here is that you guys think everyone is like you. If everyone was like you, Wii would not have sold 100 mil+ and dominated the 1st half of last generation.

If everyone was like you, Wii's 480i/p res would have mattered... the PC would be the lead and dominant platform for every single 3rd party game, including EA's sports titles... Call of Duty would not be the #1 seller... Just Dance, Skylanders, Mario Kart, 3DS, etc. would not have dominated the charts.

Some multiplatform games will be 720p/720p on xb1/ps4, some will be 720p/900p, some 720p/1080p, 900p/1080p, and a bunch 1080p/1080p. Will it matter? To the hardcore, sure. To the soccer moms, to the kiddies, to the dude bros... not a chance.

It's not a question of power or specs or fanboy wetdream wars. It's a function of simply how many resources Microsoft is willing to invest to get to 30%, 40%, 50% or whatever market share their ultimate goal is. My bet is they are going to be willing to spend whatever it takes to be the market leader in this segment because the stakes are higher than ever and the value of the piece of pie they are after will potentially return more than ever before (because now we're talking *real* revenue from services on top of games... we're talking a digital pie that includes the itunes, the hulus, the netflix's, the digital games and apps downloads, etc., and more things in the future like ipTV, phone/skype dominance, etc.).

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

You will lose. In fact, you have already lost.

Lmao

geordiemp

The problem with folks around here is that you guys think everyone is like you. If everyone was like you, Wii would not have sold 100 mil+ and dominated the 1st half of last generation.

If everyone was like you, Wii's 480i/p res would have mattered... the PC would be the lead and dominant platform for every single 3rd party game, including EA's sports titles... Call of Duty would not be the #1 seller... Just Dance, Skylanders, Mario Kart, 3DS, etc. would not have dominated the charts.

Some multiplatform games will be 720p/720p on xb1/ps4, some will be 720p/900p, some 720p/1080p, 900p/1080p, and a bunch 1080p/1080p. Will it matter? To the hardcore, sure. To the soccer moms, to the kiddies, to the dude bros... not a chance.

It's not a question of power or specs or fanboy wetdream wars. It's a function of simply how many resources Microsoft is willing to invest to get to 30%, 40%, 50% or whatever market share their ultimate goal is. My bet is they are going to be willing to spend whatever it takes to be the market leader in this segment because the stakes are higher than ever and the value of the piece of pie they are after will potentially return more than ever before (because now we're talking *real* revenue from services on top of games... we're talking a digital pie that includes the itunes, the hulus, the netflix's, the digital games and apps downloads, etc., and more things in the future like ipTV, phone/skype dominance, etc.).

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

Can I smoke what you are smoking ?

Genius.

I love this thread. XD

Wow you read my mind.

I love the xbox but I'm not putting up with sub hd for 6 years.

Ugh I'm gonna miss halo and gears :(
There_there_robot.gif

I know, esp when 4k becomes cheaper and the standard it's already confirmed that the PS4 will out put to 4k. I think they put to much reliance on the cloud and now were getting shafted for it. The fact that they haven't come up with a press announcement for this lends even more creditability to it being true. Usually Microsoft will out right deny something is false pretty fast.

MajorPain

The catastrophe is that 720p is $100 more.

Actually I am hoping that since the PS4 will be the hot item this holiday season and is clearly the more graphically capable system that I am able to supplement the cost of my Xbox One when I ebay the PS4 I preordered on June 10. Maybe I will throw in a copy of COD: Ghost since it will also be the hottest selling game this holiday. :)

ICPEE

It almost seems like they figured on another year or two before the next generation was starting. That and they underestimated what Sony would bring. Correct me if I'm wrong but both prior xbox's were considered powerful and easy to program for. It sounds like the opposite for the Xbox one. I suppose losing a lot of their talented hardware people over the years hasn't helped.
Yes both Xbox and Xbox 360 were easy to program for. I owned both and they had great games.

Mondy

Banned

You magnificent troll.

MormaPope

Banned

ibrvWgIuLwLagI.gif

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I hope this is a parody.

Milennia

And yet you come out and say" folks around here".. Generalizing GAF whilst you claim we are the ones generalizing.

Skilletor

Who are you talking to?

FStop7

Banned

Is this the new "I'm an expert"???

Yep, that username makes sense.

ironcreed

Banned

Meanwhile, in Redmond

apocalypse.gif

Interfectum

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

There_there_robot.gif

I know, esp when 4k becomes cheaper and the standard it's already confirmed that the PS4 will out put to 4k. I think they put to much reliance on the cloud and now were getting shafted for it. The fact that they haven't come up with a press announcement for this lends even more creditability to it being true. Usually Microsoft will out right deny something is false pretty fast.

it's not powerful enough to game at 4k. Get a very good pc if you want that.

This is a gem, i love this stuff.

Ok, I've given this some more thought...

Maybe I'm jumping the gun at this point, but I think it's time for the Xbox One cancellation. My Xbox Live Gold sub still has value on my Xbox 360 and my Xbox cash is good for another year and a half. Xbox One should be cheaper by then and a ton of the games will be cheaper as well. Most of the Kinect and app-related kinks should be worked out by then, and who knows... maybe even a Kinect-less SKU will be available for cheaper. Sounds like a win/win for me. But man... Ryse looks so badass.

Sony... I still hate you for killing SEGA
(I always will)
, but you have won my dollars this round. Killzone and Resogun, here I come.

REV 09

I think the bottom line even if this is true or not is that the Xb1 isn't going to be the 3rd-party platform of choice for hardcore gamers. Unless you truly don't care about maximum res/performance, you'll need to also own a ps4 (console only) or a pc to get the best versions.

I'm more interested in how close the ps4 is to the pc.

x-Lundz-x

You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

I need a good morning laugh thank you.

Tsundere

Banned
The texture is part of the image. If you make a texture smaller it generally looks better. How is this going to look on a large modern TV.

You didn't even view the full-resolution image. The texture is horrible, but it doesn't mean the rendering resolution is sub-720. There is no correlation to texture resolution and rendering resolution.

Here is the 1080p image:

I enjoy the two parallel stories running where 1]MS hasn't got their tools ready that's why there's an issue, alongside 2]the devs will have pressed the "looks like PS4 but in 720p" button so you'll hardly notice the difference.

Thrakier

So you are a soccer mom or a dudebro?

If Money bought loyalty Sony already did this, and with fewer dollars.

Btw, you sound like a former boss of mine who tried to open a game store and it didn't do so well...he always did love bringing up soccer moms which the store tried to target and it lost its gamer base and went under.

Ok, I've given this some more thought...

Maybe I'm jumping the gun at this point, but I think it's time for the Xbox One cancellation. My Xbox Live Gold sub still has value on my Xbox 360 and my Xbox cash is good for another year and a half. Xbox One should be cheaper by then and a ton of the games will be cheaper as well. Most of the Kinect and app-related kinks should be worked out by then, and who knows... maybe even a Kinect-less SKU will be available for cheaper. Sounds like a win/win for me. But man... Ryse looks so badass.

Sony... I still hate you for killing SEGA
(I always will)
, but you have won my dollars this round. Killzone and Resogun, here I come.

Just wait it out. There's still a few weeks before these consoles come out and we actually see for ourselves what they're good and what they're bad at, when the inevitable leaks come. No point making sudden decisions right now.

I'm going to repost this here from the Titanfall rumor thread, because it's dead as hell. I believe the same applies to this thread, and want to have others' takes on this.

I see a lot of posts that equate to "but it doesn't even look that good! How is this possible?" Now, full disclosure, I'm not super technically inclined. I have, however, Ben reading damn near every tech thread since February. So take this with a grain of salt, and hopefully someone like Skeff can back me up on this:

The issue with 1080p on the Xbox One is not competent reliant on the fidelity of individual assets in these games; it is likely more due to the frame buffer of 1080p Ganges exceeding the esRAM bandwidth. In essence, the resolution itself is the issue with games pushing tech like deferred lighting and more advanced shadow mapping, let alone anti aliasing solutions. It is my belief that these games are not maxing out the Xbox One's GPU at this stage, merely that the esRAM bandwidth is bottlenecking the system to the point where tons of graphical sacrifices must be made to attain a 1080p resolution. It could just be tales from my ass, mind you, but I think that Forza helps back this claim up, due to its aliasing and lack of dynamic lighting and other "next gen" graphical flair.

Feel free to call me out on my shit if there is something glaringly wrong with my post. I welcome level headed discussion.

Once more, a grain of salt and all that. TechGAF, please correct me if I'm way off base.

ironcreed

Banned

Provided you are not joking (which I'm guessing/hoping you are), there is one trade off you are missing. That being the more powerful console is $100 cheaper. If it's one thing the casuals love... it's a cheaper price.

This is 720p on Xbox?

sOEPFk7.jpg

47321-hell-no-chris-tucker-gif-zUJk.gif

My god CoD looks fucking awful.

ixn7LfjkIV3Ir.gif

True next gen, I love true next gen.

I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog is able to do with 8GB ( 6GB ) of GDDR5 RAM and all this muscle under the hood. It is going to be glorious

Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Just ask Guitar Hero. Word will spread about the PS4 being so much more powerful. Word will spread about the much better looking 3rd party titles and then the bucket loads of amazing first party titles. Once word spreads, it cannot be stopped.

lol that is still compressed.
Yes, as has been pointed out numerous times already.
Would you rather watch a video stream from ign, youtube, or download an MP4 from gamersyde?

Edit* I really need to start very carefully picking my words on GAF. I'm getting chewed up like Albert.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think a generation of 720p/1080p multi platform splits would be absolutely catastrophic for ms. And yes I think people will tell and care.

Don't know if that's the takeaway here though.

I think it's very possible. Most developers might just think it's easier to run at 720p on Xbone and use the same assets. With time and effort it should be able to manage 900p to the PS4's 1080p but the easy (read: cheap) option will probably seem very appealing to many developers.

BlooCat

Neo Member
You didn't even view the full-resolution image. The texture is horrible, but it doesn't mean the rendering resolution is sub-720. There is no correlation to texture resolution and rendering resolution.

Here is the 1080p image:

I meant the image I posted lol

HurrjOo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom